• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Hey guys I am pretty new to this type of game but I have been enjoying it a lot.I do have a question though that I think is important but have not yet been able to figure out.

I know in the Beastiery you can see the Damage Reduction for creatures you have fought in battle. From this I have learned which type of Damage is best to use (or not use) on certain creatures. For example I now know not to use piercing weapons (eg. my bow) on spiders because it gives DR 10 but something like Fire is good because it is DR 2.

My question is this: is there a way to see the same sort of information for non-beasts? Like if I am fighting a group of Bandits how do I know which type of Damage is best to use against them?

You gotta eyeball the type of armor they're wearing.

Durante

I've been playing the German translation because I was curious about it. Whoever did it thought it was a good idea to change Goose and Fox around completely ruining the reference. I got it though once I talked to the bartender.
Too bad really, it almost works in German.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If you look at their "Status icon" in the top left as you mouse over them, you can roughly gauge their DR and various defenses.

I wish that thing was static so I could mouse over all the debuffs I'm placing on them but whatever.

Xater

Too bad really, it almost works in German.

Yeah if they had not switched it around it would be more obvious though.

For the most part the German translation is quite good though. Encountered a couple of errors though. For example there was a broken staircase that you could look at and it said something about rats roaming around. Only problem was the word "rats" was actually not translated into German so it looked quite odd.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I haven't been really paying attention to the DR stuff at all so far, so I'll be sure to give that all a looksie tonight.

Spoilers for the Lord of a Barren Land quest
Did anyone take Raedric up on his offer to double cross Kolsc and then go back and kill him as well? Wondering whether the game would break or if it would have to recognize and unknown third party to take over.

Almighty

Objective-based XP systems are objectively the best XP systems for games like this.

Indeed. Any game that gives you multiple ways to complete quests should be using this system. I have been arguing that since I first ran across it in Bloodlines all those years ago.

Terra_Ex

I only managed to sneak in a few hours of this last night, but goddamn this game is so good. I'm gonna have my revenge on those bears later tonight. The sheer volume of dialogue options and focus on descriptive text without the need to compromise for awesome buttons- it's like a dream.

bigf00t

I'm about to start this, and I've rolled an Aumaua Barbarian.

My stats are 21, 18, 14, 4, 18, 3. Are the low Per and Res going to cripple me? Should I spread my points out more evenly? Should I switch 4 points from Int to Dex?

Galileo

Neo Member
Yep, as expected attributes are problematic in terms of roleplaying, my orlan wizard just lifted a man off his feet with his bare hands, I imagine he held him by his ankles :D

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I may or may not have hugged my tower after not being able to talk my way out of a situation because my stats weren't up to snuff.

I am not Magic Jesus and it feels so right.

So, this being my first IE engine-style game in several years, I took Obsidian's advice and picked the 'Easy' difficulty setting.

I'm now in Gilded Vale and every combat encounter has been pretty darn easy.

Is the early game just really, really easy, or should I switch to 'Normal'? My char is an elf rangery guy with a bow and a wolf companion.

LurkingFear

Well, here it is... the addiction.

After installing Pillars of Eternity yesterday and having played it for a "few" hours, its pretty safe to say that im in trouble.

The years spent hopelessly lost in Faerun, just come back to haunt me yet again, and thankfully so! Not that I had a doubt that Obsidian couldnt pull it off. Took this week off of work to devote myself to Bloodborne, and all it took was 1 minute to launch PoE, and my adventure in Yharnam was over (for the time being).

All of the incredible memories Feargus and co. came rushing back to mind and injected themselves right into my bloodstream one more time. There is no substitute for the real thing!

So, this being my first IE engine-style game in several years, I took Obsidian's advice and picked the 'Easy' difficulty setting.

Is the early game just really, really easy, or should I switch to 'Normal'? My char is an elf rangery guy with a bow and a wolf companion.

Switch to normal. You can change difficulty any time so if it is too challenging no harm no foul.

Even normal seems well balanced for characters that are not that great in combat with the idea that one doesn't has to kill everything, since enemies give no exp, so I would recommend to go normal if it is too easy for you right now.

Switch to normal. You can change difficulty any time so if it is too challenging no harm no foul.

Even normal seems well balanced for characters that are not that great in combat with the the idea that one doesn't has to kill everything, since enemies give no exp, so I would recommend to go normal if it is too easy for you right now.

Thx! I must've misread something last night as I thought the difficulty was locked.

Ibuki

Banned
This happens to me pretty often, but I feel like in just throwing points in willy nilly when I level up. I'm sure some of them are gonna be wasted. Not sure if I should reroll or not since I'm not too far along.

I'm about to start this, and I've rolled an Aumaua Barbarian.

My stats are 21, 18, 14, 4, 18, 3. Are the low Per and Res going to cripple me? Should I spread my points out more evenly? Should I switch 4 points from Int to Dex?

I did a similar Barbarian build and the low Per absolutely killed me because everyone and their mother interrupted my attacks.

Stevey

Can somebody explain Wizard's grimoires to me?
Aloth has two- his and another one I found, both have different spells in them, do I need to switch between the two by putting the unequipped one in my quick use slot?

Alastor3

Aloth has two- his and another one I found, both have different spells in them, do I need to switch between the two by putting the unequipped one in my quick use slot?

im no expert but, I think the grimoire have certain spells in them that you can buy with copper. You just need to right click the grimoire on the wizard of your choice to see what spell you want to learn

Spookie

You can learn spells from the other grimoire and put them in your own.

Is there a way to increase the number of spells a wizard can use before resting? At the moment it can only use like 2 or 3, so after a combat they're all gone (if I decide not to go melee)

Haly

Protip, I don't know if anyone covered this or not but you can make "spot checks" by being in Sneak mode. I was wondering why I wasn't revealed secrets when I knew it was there from my previous runs, until I realized I had to sneak to see them.

Honestly I don't like this design very much. I don't want to feel obligated to sneak everywhere all the time. That defeats the point of spot checks if I need to roll on it in every room.

Does anyone know why so many of my icons seem greyed out in my inventory? It's hard to see anything and I have to squint on most of my armor.

Protip, I don't know if anyone covered this or not but you can make "spot checks" by being in Sneak mode. I was wondering why I wasn't revealed secrets when I knew it was there from my previous runs, until I realized I had to sneak to see them.

Honestly I don't like this design very much. I don't want to feel obligated to sneak everywhere all the time. That defeats the point of spot checks if I need to roll on it in every room.

I kind of like that. It's one of my issues with a "game" choice in D&D/Pathfinder. When a party enters the room does the GM immediately ask for perception/heal/knowledge rolls, or should the party have to indicate that they are doing something that would begin those rolls. Kind of annoying that you have to be in sneak mode for this in Pillars, though.

So far I'm liking it a lot. Haven't gotten very far at all.
Only went to the Gilded Vale and picked up Aloth.
We died to a wolf like a zone away. I'm playing on normal so I still need to figure out how combat works, and probably be much more liberal in my pausing.

Is there a way to increase the number of spells a wizard can use before resting? At the moment it can only use like 2 or 3, so after a combat they're all gone (if I decide not to go melee)

The amount of spells you can use prior to resting increases as you level up, and there are talents (and I am assuming items) that increase the number as well.

If this is anything like the old IE games, you might want to be a little judicious with your spells and other per rest abilities, especially on higher difficulties.

You get more with levels. You can also take the Bonus Spell talents which give one bonus spell at the chosen level, and you can find magic items that give bonus slots as well. (Like a Ring of Wizardry type thing.)

Haly

I kind of like that. It's one of my issues with a "game" choice in D&D/Pathfinder. When a party enters the room does the GM immediately ask for perception/heal/knowledge rolls, or should the party have to indicate that they are doing something that would begin those rolls. Kind of annoying that you have to be in sneak mode for this in Pillars, though.

I think there should be a prompt like "I think I spotted something", and then you go around to Sneak. If you make the check, your character goes "Found it!". If not, they go "Must've been my imagination."

I don't know. I guess they don't want to overload you with triggered mechanics like Sneak and Spot and Knowledge and whatever, but tying Spot to Sneak is reaaaaaally annoying.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I can confirm that the "Cage cursor" option turns itself off randomly while playing on a dual-monitor setup, even if it's ticked in the menu :(

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Does anyone know why so many of my icons seem greyed out in my inventory? It's hard to see anything and I have to squint on most of my armor.

Does perception help to spot more things? If it does I feel like they should have made secrets spotted by perception and made traps spotted by sneaking. Spotting in NWN2 was only for traps.

In certain menus, the filter button doesn't hide items but greys out all items outside of the filter. IE if you hit the armor filter, all items excluding armors will be greyed out. It's a little weird.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Start on hard and work backwards as needed.

The difficulty settings only change the encounter design (as in how many and what types of enemies), no changes are made to hit points, damage, to hit chances etc...

This doesn't apply to Path of the Damned, which fudges with the math too, but that mode is for replays and masochists.

If a scripted interaction is calling for a piece of equipment (grappling hook, hammer and chisel, etc) will the game pick up that I have them in my stash? Or do I have it to have it in active inventory?

I think there should be a prompt like "I think I spotted something", and then you go around to Sneak. If you make the check, your character goes "Found it!". If not, they go "Must've been my imagination."

I don't know. I guess they don't want to overload you with triggered mechanics like Sneak and Spot and Knowledge and whatever, but tying Spot to Sneak is reaaaaaally annoying.

That would be a really good fix. Good tip though, and I'll have to sneak around a lot more tonight.

1337Sauce

Does anybody own the physical strategy guide? I absolutely love buying them for the artwork, and was just wondering what the quality was like?

I'm really considering going to pick it up today!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

As long as traps require sneak spotting without calling out that they are there.

Haly

Does perception help to spot more things? If it does I feel like they should have made secrets spotted by perception and made traps spotted by sneaking. Spotting in NWN2 was only for traps.
It damn better well help, although I'm not totally certain.

My MC, Nergui, is the one finding hidden things and traps, but her PER is only 12. Whereas Alod has 16 and he can't see his own hand in front of his face,

In certain menus, the filter button doesn't hide items but greys out all items outside of the filter. IE if you hit the armor filter, all items excluding armors will be greyed out. It's a little weird.
Oh, thanks. That fixed it. God it was so annoying.

As long as traps require sneak spotting without calling out that they are there.
Yeah I can agree with that. Hazards should be dealt with proactive discovery, loot discovery should be passive.

Haly

Does your guys have high stealth? I havent read the stealth effects spotting.

Yeah she's a Rogue with 4 Stealth. I guess that's why she finds all the good stuff.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Cause its true lol. Basically the way creature XP works is that you earn XP for enemies you kill up to a certain point and then it tops out, based on your lore skill. Basically after you kill X number of a specific enemy you fill out the bestiary for that enemy and can see all of their defenses. Killing additional enemies of that type no longer nets you XP.

I think that's how it works.

Wait so higher lore skill equals more possible exp from combat (bestiary)?

styl3s

I normally don't like to seek out help or advice or look for builds or anything on my first play through of a RPG but i currently have a Ranger and Mage guy and i would either just barely win the fights or get demolished (i am very very early in the game) but hired an adventurer in the inn with the intention of getting a tank like character, someone to take the bulk of the damage along with my Bear and i am stuck between a Barbarian, Fighter or Paladin. Both the Fighter and Paladin look like they will be great benefits but im stuck.

EDIT- As i keep looking at stats i think i have narrowed it down to Paladin or Fighter. The Fighter barely edges the Paladin out on the Accuracy and has constant recovery but Paladin has the edge on Athletics which can come in handy and Faith and Conviction as his starting ability which gives inherent bonuses to all defenses.

Top Bottom