• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Anyone know if sidequests can fail if you don't complete them fast enough?

Some of them certainly sound like they're urgent, but it's hard to know how seriously to take that.

There is some precedent. Baldur's Gate had quests that would fail if you took too long, but the time requirements were so generous that lots of players probably never even knew that. It'd be nice if timed quests could have a togglable "timed" label or icon on them, if so...

Specific quest I'm thinking of, (although I'm sure there are others):
Retrieving the medicine for the pregnant woman in Gilded Vale. Since you'll end up spending (in-game) months before the end of the game, it seems logical for the quest to have a timer on it... but that's so stressful!

Burt

I normally don't like to seek out help or advice or look for builds or anything on my first play through of a RPG but i currently have a Ranger and Mage guy and i would either just barely win the fights or get demolished (i am very very early in the game) but hired an adventurer in the inn with the intention of getting a tank like character, someone to take the bulk of the damage along with my Bear and i am stuck between a Barbarian, Fighter or Paladin. Both the Fighter and Paladin look like they will be great benefits but im stuck.

I have a bear ranger too, and hired a priest and let my bear do all the tanking while the mage and my ranger do damage. Worked out fine for me. Also (companion spoiler)
you're very close to a fighter companion character

styl3s

I have a bear ranger too, and hired a priest and let my bear do all the tanking while the mage and my ranger do damage. Worked out fine for me. Also (companion spoiler)
you're very close to a fighter companion character
So i would benefit me more
to go with a priest since i get the fighter companion soon? What about a Paladin do they offer any type of healing as well? I know the spells for that type of class varies from games-games. Also, as for a priest, what race would suit them best? Godlike is the only one i see with +INT.
Also, how soon on the fighter? I literally just picked up a mage outside that inn not too long ago

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
to go with a priest since i get the fighter companion soon? What about a Paladin do they offer any type of healing as well? I know the spells for that type of class varies from games-games. Also, as for a priest, what race would suit them best? Godlike is the only one i see with +INT.
Also, how soon on the fighter? I literally just picked up a mage outside that inn not too long ago

You get
Fighter and Priest super soon like 1 or 2 tops depending on how you prioritize side quests.

Burt

Yeah, you get a good fighter soon. Don't know much about Paladins, haven't used one yet. They seem to be buff tanks with minor heals, and personally, considering that you're getting a fighter soon and have a bear pet, I think a priest would probably be the better option. But they all work, so just go with whichever you like better. As for the priest class, I just went with human.

Companion / first city spoiler for styl3s and anyone else curious

You get both a mage and a tank in that city and in the next location a priest. Don't hire a companion

styl3s

Yeah, you get a good fighter soon. Don't know much about Paladins, haven't used one yet. They seem to be buff tanks with minor heals, and personally, considering that you're getting a fighter soon and have a bear pet, I think a priest would probably be the better option. But they all work, so just go with whichever you like better. As for the priest class, I just went with human.
So i went with
Priest and he started out with a Morning Star which seems weird to me. Is there any benefit using a certain weapon or can i just throw a 1h/shield?

Visceir

Man, leveling up is just as tough as creating a character. Now I need to figure out which talents don't suck and which second level spells to get...and if the lore/mechanics skills have any significance on my wizard spell casting wise.

I already rerolled my wizard once, haha.

Should probably also do some reading up on how to create a monk/rogue to recruit one additionally into my party.

Artanisix

I mean... there's really no harm to hiring a companion anyway, especially at the lower level. They're cheap, you can get a cool class if you want, and it'll help if you're trying to do some of the more difficult dungeons early.

I've been playing on hard, about 8 hours in, and have purchased 2 companions [although I have benched one of them at this point].

Yeah, don't be afraid to max out your party with custom-made hirelings early on. The cost seems high at first but it's really nothing, and you'll appreciate the help. You can always sideline them when you encounter Obsidian's companions, and even then I think the Stronghold stuff will give those companions something to do down the road.

Spookie

I mean... there's really no harm to hiring a companion anyway, especially at the lower level. They're cheap, you can get a cool class if you want, and it'll help if you're trying to do some of the more difficult dungeons early.

I did exactly this. It's almost mandatory to take a party of 4 in to the first towns dungeon on hard.

pahamrick

Stupid question I guess. Does Pillars support cloud saves?

One of my 5870s fried itself, and now Windowe won't boot no matter what I try. In the process of reinstalling Windows now and hoping I haven't lost my 10 hour save.

Jigorath

Banned
About four and a half hours in so far. I just finished the quest
for the pregnant girl
in the first town.
I didn't have the heart to tell her the medicine wouldn't do anything.

Philippo

Oh this is nice, i wanted to try my first CRPG but my crappy laptop can't even run this, it lags even in the character creation menu...
And to my surprise it was even in italian!

UnrealEck

Oh this is nice, i wanted to try my first CRPG but my crappy laptop can't even run this, it lags even in the character creation menu...
And to my surprise it was even in italian!

Press the key to the left of your '1' key.
Hit enter when it tells you to at the top right of your screen.
Type 'msaa 0' and hit enter.

You should get better performance now.

Ozigizo

I'm trying to get through the
priest floor of Raedriks Keep,
and I'm finding it really difficult, to the point of just leaving and coming back to it later.
I've tried sneaking and the robes, but my intelligence/sneak doesn't seem to be high enough, and I just decided to fight through the floor. I reached the part where the High Priestess alternates between two positions, but every time I try to engage one group, the other pops in to the fight within seconds.

Any advice?

Nordicus

What do you mean by "more possible exp from combat" ?? I thought combat didn't give exp ?
Kinda does and kinda doesn't. You get XP for adding information on your bestiary, which you do by beating enemies of a type that you haven't met many of. So you do get limited XP from fighting new(ish) creatures

Haunted

The three introductory spoiler-free guide videos in the OP are longer than most AAA games these days.

I suppose classic WRPG fans aren't doing things half-assed when they're committing to something. :D

Aaron D.

Stupid Question #542:

Is there a way to lock the camera to your character so they're at the center of the screen and the map auto-scrolls when you move them around?

Thanks

Dsyndrome

Anybody take out the bears in the beginning on Hard solo, no summons? No way my fighter's able to now, just curious what demigods were actually able to down those mofos from the start. Just wait until I get a wizard or monk, assholes...

I've started 3 different characters and got them all to the first town. I still can't decide what to roll with. I've made a ranger, a druid and a paladin. I think I'm leaning towards the ranger...even though I've heard that they aren't doing to good, dps wise. Any idea why a lot of these types of games make ranged rangers pretty sub-par? I find it pretty weird.

Loving the game so far! I just wish I wasn't so indecisive :[

KScorp

Anybody take out the bears in the beginning on Hard solo, no summons? No way my fighter's able to now, just curious what demigods were actually able to down those mofos from the start. Just wait until I get a wizard or monk, assholes...

You have to wait till you get stronger I think. If you go into that cave alone at lower levels you are expected to get completely destroyed.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You should just grab some peeps from the Vale before doing the bear.

Alastor3

got some chest in the first dungeon city I can't open, should I make a rogue as companion juste to get them ?? I think I can make companion lvl 2

Anno

How are you ranger folk enjoying it? I'm happy with my chanter, but thought I might roll another game with a ranger just to try out another class or two. I wasn't too thrilled with them in the beta, though. The pets just didn't seem very strong at anything.

BOTEC

I'm and idiot, but also didn't feel like reading any of the Kickstarter spam they've sent out about this game. How do I redeem my copy? I checked my gmail account, but there doesn't seem to be a redemption method mentioned. I also registered an account on their website using the same email as my pledge, but it says I have no products registered. Any other backers have an idea?

Galileo

Neo Member
Protip, I don't know if anyone covered this or not but you can make "spot checks" by being in Sneak mode. I was wondering why I wasn't revealed secrets when I knew it was there from my previous runs, until I realized I had to sneak to see them.
Not sure I understand, doesn't holding down the TAB key highlights all active spots (aside from traps)?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Sorry because I know this has been asked before, but where do I claim all of my goodies from the Steam Royal edition?

Artanisix

"Not sure I understand, doesn't holding down the TAB key highlights all active spots (aside from traps)?"

No, "secret" spots can be activated via stealth mode and will be highlighted purple.

Top Bottom