• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Spookie

Anyone know where the Grieving mother is hiding?

Found her: Dyrford Village, in the southeast, below Hendyna's Apothecary

Not sure I understand, doesn't holding down the TAB key highlights all active spots (aside from traps)?

Apparently TAB only highlights visible items. You need to be in Stealth mode to see invisible items (traps, hidden doors and switches) and it's based off your mechanics skill I think.

Just learned that too... :/

Annubis

Anyone knows/tried to see how companion level work?

If I stay level 1, would I get companions which are level 1 or would they have as much XP as my character and be level 3?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Minor knitpick but they seriously need to add more backgrounds or tweak them. Too many give +2 lore. They need to be more varied. Especially in allowing +2 options for the other stats.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Where is Readrick? isn't he suppose to be in the first city? or they mean the big city on the world map?

Go east.

Minor knitpick but they seriously need to add more backgrounds or tweak them. Too many give +2 lore. They need to be more varied. Especially in allowing +2 options for the other stats.

I found it weird there was not a single one which give Stealth and Mechanics.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
So I bought this after caving into the hype despite having Bloodborne to play. I thought it was stupid to do so considering Bloodborne would just end up taking me away from PoE. It's been the exact opposite though. The game has clicked with me on so many levels, and it just keeps getting better. I haven't been this interested and engrossed in a CRPG since Baldur's Gate 2.

How's Wasteland 2 for people that have played both? I have a few friends that would love to play PoE but don't game on PC whatsoever, so Wasteland 2 looks like it might be the closest they can get to that style of game on a console. Is that a fair assessment?

Just randomly reading posts in this thread, it's like a foreign language. I'm interested in this game but I dove in on Divinity early on and it hasn't captured my attention very much. Played maybe 5 hours so far.

Also the BG2 EE is sitting in my backlog.

I think I'll wait for a Steam sale.

Artanisix

"Where is Readrick? isn't he suppose to be in the first city? or they mean the big city on the world map?"

He's a Lord of the area... so he "owns" the Gilded Vale but doesn't live in it.

"How's Wasteland 2 for people that have played both? I have a few friends that would love to play PoE but don't game on PC whatsoever, so Wasteland 2 looks like it might be the closest they can get to that style of game on a console. Is that a fair assessment?"

Kinda sorta similar. The combat is largely a slog in Wasteland 2 imo.

Galileo

Neo Member
"Not sure I understand, doesn't holding down the TAB key highlights all active spots (aside from traps)?"

No, "secret" spots can be activated via stealth mode and will be highlighted purple.
Thanks, I had no idea, guess now I have to check cleared dungeons again.

Anyway, I really like how they've made exploration similar to BG1, there are many "wild" areas to explore on your way to important locations and you don't just travel directly there like in BG2.

KR_remix

I just finished Raedric's Hold was wondering if things were different for people who did it another way
I just stormed the front gate and killed everyone, if you sneak in is the way the story plays out any different? Is he still just sitting on his throne waiting for you with his bodyguards? I went for the front door since killing the most guys would probably give me the most loot and cash, just wondering if anyone who snuck in got a better deal.

Burt

So i went with
Priest and he started out with a Morning Star which seems weird to me. Is there any benefit using a certain weapon or can i just throw a 1h/shield?

You can just go to 1h/Shield

How are you ranger folk enjoying it? I'm happy with my chanter, but thought I might roll another game with a ranger just to try out another class or two. I wasn't too thrilled with them in the beta, though. The pets just didn't seem very strong at anything.

Love my ranger. Also, he does the most DPS of anyone in my group.

I came across a trapped locked chest. The trap and the lock both required 7 mechanics or 6 mechanics and 7 lockpicks. I have 6 mechanics and disarmed the trap just fine, and I still have like 30 lockpicks, but it won't let me undo the lock. Am I missing something, or is this bugged?

Taruranto

Uh, confused about the stash. Is there any repercussion in using it? Like items in there won't be available at some point or something?

Feels weird playing a game with basically a bag of holding from the beginning.

How's Wasteland 2 for people that have played both? I have a few friends that would love to play PoE but don't game on PC whatsoever, so Wasteland 2 looks like it might be the closest they can get to that style of game on a console. Is that a fair assessment?

Eh, not to derail the thread but I found Wasteland 2 hugely disappointing. Gave up after approximately 10 hours, this game blows it out of the water in every single criteria, combat, customization options, strategic depth, writing, world building, etc etc.

Combat in Wasteland 2 is much more similar to a dumbed down version of X-Com, for reference.

garath

Should have been a thief, assassin or spy background

I was looking for something like that :( I was envisioning my rogue as an ex-assassin who's remorse caused him to leave the trade and wander the world. Instead I'm a hunter or something :/

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Uh, confused about the stash. Is there any repercussion in using it? Like items in there won't be available at some point or something?

Feels weird playing a game with basically a bag of holding from the beginning.

Anywhere unless you restrict it in options.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Eh, not to derail the thread but I found Wasteland 2 hugely disappointing. Gave up after approximately 10 hours, this game blows it out of the water in every single criteria, combat, customization options, strategic depth, writing, world building, etc etc.

Combat in Wasteland 2 is much more similar to a dumbed down version of X-Com, for reference.
That's a bit sad to hear. They loved XCOM though, as did I, so I guess they should be OK with it. Thanks for the answer though. :)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

I thought Shadowrun was the dumbed down version of XCOM. And that game is awesome.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
"Spy" gets rolled into "Dissident," unfortunately. One of the first dialogue options as a dissident allows you to give yourself a history as a spy.

I thought XCOM was the dumbed down version of X-COM :p

Long War is the superior version of both XCOMs.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Not sure I understand, doesn't holding down the TAB key highlights all active spots (aside from traps)?
There are "hidden spots" and traps count as one of them.

Stealth/scouting doesn't find things. Mechanics finds things. But you have to be scouting for it to work.

God damn this obtuse game and its obtuse mechanics!

(My Rogue is also an engineer.)

I thought Shadowrun was the dumbed down version of XCOM. And that game is awesome.

Shadowrun is 100% awesome, can't wait for the next expansion. In Wasteland 2:

1. Enemy AI was terrible, regardless of enemy or weapon type they just charge you blindly and use no tactics whatsoever
2. Weapon balance was garbage with rifles > than all other weapons by far
3. You have zero active abilities during combat outside of reloading, moving or shooting

All of the above lead to combat being a horrible, dull slog.

Rant over. Onto how awesome PoE is and how I am having analysis paralysis with each new character and each level up.

Just to represent the opposite side here, I loved Wasteland 2. It was really buggy for a while around launch but they have patched it a ton and it's really solid now.

Fun, clever, a good successor to the original Wasteland, Fallout-esque. Just plain enjoyable, much like Pillars.

Pillars is a lot more polished out of the gate, of course.

Spookie

Companion locations for people looking for them.

Name
Class
Incase you don't want to reveal it all.

Aloth
Wizard, wood elf, Aristocrat.
Gilded Vale, by the Black Hound Inn in the south west of the map.

Durance
Priest of magran, savannah human, Dyrwood Clergyman.
Magran's Fork, at the crossroads

Edér
Fighter, savannah human, Dyrwood farmer.
Gilded Vale, south of the village tree

Grieving Mother
Cipher, savannah human, Dyrwood midwife
Dyrford Village, in the southeast, below Hendyna's Apothecary

Hiravias
Druid, hearth orlan, Eir Glanfath drifter
Stormwall Gorge

Kana Rua
Chanter, island aumaua, scholar.
Caed Nua

Sagani
Ranger with a wolf companion, boreal dwarf, Naasitaq hunter
Woodend Plains

Pallegina
Paladin, avian godlike, Vailian Republics soldier
Defiance Bay

Torraz

Is the main character always the one to handle conversations? Or can I spend attribute points so that a different member of the party is the conversation slave?

Alrus

Might be a dumb question but is there any ingame tooltip explaining exactly what the skill you get from certain enchanted equipment does? Stuff like Bash or Second Chance and so on (I know what those two do but I'm speaking in general).

Vaporak

So has anyone tried Trial of Iron? I'm interested in giving hard/ironman a try to start out with, but I don't know how conducive the game is to the option. Can you even run away if you think you're getting in over your head?

Salsa

I like how in every single encounter they all survive their endurance except for my main character (rogue)

I think I went too average at everything not great at one thing with the stat distribution

doubt that's the issue tho

Morzak

I just did some Quests after getting my 2 first companions, the Bear is no more.... Now I tried the Dungeon in town and I'm getting my ass handed to me..... I'm also not so sure if I should reroll my rogue 16 might 16 dex, 14 per 13 int doesnt seem optimal. Maybe I will try the main quest or some other side quest before doing the dungeon or hire a companion

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
So I have the toggle set to pause after every ability use, but I wish it would actually switch to the character whose ability just finished and not simply pause. Even with only a 4 person party it's sometimes hard to remember who was doing what and what just went off, a full 6 is going to be tough.

I just did some Quests after getting my 2 first companions, the Bear is no more.... Now I tried the Dungeon in town and I'm getting my ass handed to me..... I'm also not so sure if I should reroll my rogue 16 might 16 dex, 14 per 13 int doesnt seem optimal. Maybe I will try the main quest or some other side quest before doing the dungeon or hire a companion

Blame the player, not the stats. Those are fairly capable attribute spreads. You need to hold back with your Rogue, lead in with the Fighter and use your Wizard sparingly. Get everyone on your Fighter and come in from behind with your Rogue to get Flanking and stab everyone to death.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Another protip. People will get mad at you if you take their shit, but if you do it from Sneak (Scouting) while they can't see you, you're okay!

Oh yeah, BTW is there no way to actually talk to all these soul people all over the place?

It feels weird to read them and then not be able to exchange even a single word.

Are those all backers who designed those backgrounds or what?

Top Bottom