• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Galileo

Neo Member
Is the main character always the one to handle conversations? Or can I spend attribute points so that a different member of the party is the conversation slave?
One of the loading sceen tips says that it's always the main character that does the talking.
Companions can use their talents in scripted interactions though.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Another protip. People will get mad at you if you take their shit, but if you do it from Sneak (Scouting) while they can't see you, you're okay!

I dislike that there isn't any kind of cone of vision for this and just as much the fact that they can be looking at you but if there's an object in the middle of the room like a desk or table they won't be able to see you.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Playing as a rogue, do I get bonus damage early on if I attack the enemies from behind?

Any attack within the first 2 seconds of combat receives the Sneak Attack bonus to damage. But specifically from behind no, not naturally.

Backstab increases damage by 2x when attacking from the Sneak or Invisibility states. Unless that's changed. I only have access to the wildly unreliable wikia right now.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Backstab is kind of ass honestly. I haven't found many encounters where you can set one up, except at the very start where fights were mano-a-mano, and it puts your Rogue at huge risk.

Dad

How easy is it to completely botch your characters past the point of usability? Because I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.

I dislike that there isn't any kind of cone of vision for this and just as much the fact that they can be looking at you but if there's an object in the middle of the room like a desk or table they won't be able to see you.

Yeah but generally if someone you don't know walks into your house without a word and kind of wanders around while crouching, you're going to freak out about that instead of just pathing back and forth. I appreciate the abstraction that makes thievery even possible.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
How easy is it to completely botch your characters past the point of usability? Because I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.

Pretty hard, almost to the point of having to specifically try and do so. Go with what seems good and you should more than likely be fine.

Yeah but generally if someone you don't know walks into your house without a word and kind of wanders around while crouching, you're going to freak out about that instead of just pathing back and forth. I appreciate the abstraction that makes thievery even possible.

Yeah but when I sneak into a room and they're staring into the corner they shouldn't be able to see me. But they do. Damn you Inn Cooks.

Eyeh4wk

Companion locations for people looking for them.

Name
Class
Incase you don't want to reveal it all.
Pallegina
Paladin, avian godlike, Vailian Republics soldier
Defiance Bay

Godammit! My main is a paladin and I looked it up and she looks so cool, oh well.

Backstab is kind of ass honestly. I haven't found many encounters where you can set one up, except at the very start where fights were mano-a-mano, and it puts your Rogue at huge risk.

I've heard later you get a disengage skill, so you can backstab and run away, and lead all the enemies back to your waiting ambush/bottleneck with tank etc.

garath

I agree with this. I actually skipped the talent. You almost never want your rogue leading off the fight with this engagement system. I haven't gotten invis yet so not sure how much that can fire off but overall as a talent, backstab seems so niche that I can't imagine it is superior to the other options. Level 2 I took two weapon fighting for example instead of backstab. 20% attack speed seems like the better option.

Irobot82

If my fighter engages in combat while all of us are in stealth does it knock everyone out of stealth or does their stealth detection remain independent of that?

Haly

I've heard later you get a disengage skill, so you can backstab and run away, and lead all the enemies back to your waiting ambush/bottleneck with tank etc.

I have it. It isn't perfect. You still take a little damage because Disengage has a cast time.

I mean you're using up two talents for one Backstab per encounter, that's not an amazing trade!
If my fighter engages in combat while all of us are in stealth does it knock everyone out of stealth or does their stealth detection remain independent of that?

Your stealth will last a little while if the rest of your guys aren't in line of sight but they lose it pretty quickly. Not nearly enough time to set up a backstab unless you have really great micromanagement.

It's not ass once you get an ability that turns you Invisible.

But you're right that there are very few situations where you can successfully Stealth up with your Rogue, hit the enemy, and not be in immediate danger.

Irobot82

I have it. It isn't perfect. You still take a little damage because Disengage has a cast time.

I mean you're using up two talents for one Backstab per encounter, that's not an amazing trade!

Your stealth will last a little while if the rest of your guys aren't in line of sight but they lose it pretty quickly. Not nearly enough time to set up a backstab unless you have really great micromanagement.

What about if you position your rogue behind the enemies before the fight begins?

Is the Magran Priest talent "Inspired Flame" bugged? It's supposed to give +10 Accuracy with both Swords and Arquebus'. I equipped the Priest with an Arquebus and it doesn't seem to be getting the +10 Accuracy. It does however buff the other weapon, swords, correctly.

LurkingFear

Just harm to your pride. A man who hires his victories is no man at all.

PcAZw2A.gif

Salsa

yeah, it aint that great. backstabbing is more efficent in divinity OS

i'll keep at it tho hoping invis and disengage making better

I chose the Escape skill too thinking it'd let me move to farther places.. but it's very close

Durante

I just completed the quest in the first dungeon (
temple
), and that was really hard. On hard. I pretty much had to go all-out in controlling space and every single character's actions from the start. And I still needed to try some encounters multiple times.

Loving it.

Haly

What about if you position your rogue behind the enemies before the fight begins?

It's possible, but a lot of mobs will often switch targets to your Rogue if it's close enough. It's just really dicey. I haven't really tested it extensively, however. Only that my first impression of it is pretty poor.
It's not ass once you get an ability that turns you Invisible.

But you're right that there are very few situations where you can successfully Stealth up with your Rogue, hit the enemy, and not be in immediate danger.

Well that's a long time away!

Philippo

Press the key to the left of your '1' key.
Hit enter when it tells you to at the top right of your screen.
Type 'msaa 0' and hit enter.

You should get better performance now.

As a proper newbie, i press it (it's "\" btw) and nothing appears.

Still, tried it for an hour, it's nice to have so many options right from the beginning, just need to get used to the controls. Rolling a male Demigod mage btw.

Jebral

Oh my GOD I'm paralyzed by choice. I may have to simply play them damn game and not bother re-rolling, lest I fall into an endless pattern hellish prologue replays.

So if you guys made this guy:

0urb.jpg

Would you keep going? Screw it. Yeah! Even if I overloaded perception.... I'll simply soldier on. And wish forever that I had put more into might.

>_<

temple
), and that was really hard. On hard. I pretty much had to go all-out in controlling space and every single character's actions from the start. And I still needed to try some encounters multiple times.

Loving it.
I was just tidying this up when I had to leave for work this morning. The
Shades
were kicking my ass.

Spookie

temple

Loving it.

Welcome-to-the-party-pal.gif

I can't wait to get in to that tonight.

Burt

Oh and I just realized way too far in the value of crafting and enchanting your weapons and armor. You get a ton of mats throughout the game, be sure to use them. You can craft the equivalent of a named 10k cp weapon for like 2k. I was waiting for better items to start upgrading initially, but I realized it's like Dark Souls, where you just upgrade the standard stuff.

Dr Dogg

Well finally got some time to sit down after a brief and fast tracked character creation (which I'm pretty sure is going to bite me in the arse sometime soon and I'll end up rerolling) and getting tucked into the tutorial and I already feel like I've whisked 15 years ago. Just the dialogue so far has got me all giddy.

Salsa

Oh my GOD I'm paralyzed by choice. I may have to simply play them damn game and not bother re-rolling, lest I fall into an endless pattern hellish prologue replays.

So if you guys made this guy:

0urb.jpg

Would you keep going? Screw it. Yeah! Even if I overloaded perception.... I'll simply soldier on. And wish forever that I had put more into might.

>_<

you'll be fine

this is my rogue btw

Vf4Y0jm.png

temple

Loving it.

I was just tidying this up when I had to leave for work this morning. The
Shades
were kicking my ass.

I broke for the night after I found the shortcut (of sorts) back to the first floor. Those
shades
are a pain in the ass. I wish Obsidian had given me a bit more time to enjoy my defensive lines before they threw teleporting enemies at me.

Alrus

temple

Loving it.

Yeah that place was pretty tough first time one of my dude got maimed too, I tried doing it with just my Cipher and Aloth at first and couldn't make it past the first room... Went back with Eder and the priest dude and it was a lot smoother but still challening. Glad I didn't pick normal in the end.

Although a very simple way to manage huge swarm of monsters in small space is just to put your tank on a doorway and casting some AoEs in front of it, it makes some very tough encounters really trivial though, so I'm not sure if I'm going to keep using that method. (obviously that doesn't work in open spaces)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
temple

Loving it.

Yes, you can't just rush in and attack click, even from the very start. I'm on normal and had to do some of the
shadow
a couple of times to find the right spacing. Had to camp a time as well to regroup a bit.

Very challenging and interesting

Salsa

there's always 1 or 2 places in every dungeon / area where enemies are just a swarm and I get rekt

dont think I have too many area of effect spells to deal with those, so I just sneak around them and fight them separate

Calcium

Banned
After not caring for the Cipher I ended up restarting with a Rogue and I'm liking it much more. I just made a mistake with the Cipher and chose too many offensive skills which was making combat harder than it should have been. Oh well, at least playing the intro section again was interesting because
depending on how you approach the various situations the companions you get early can die at different times. Pretty cool.

I'm sure some of it has to do with me being more familiar with the game, but the combat is much more satisfying this time around. Sneaking ahead with my Rogue and getting a sneak attack in with an arbalest while my tanks rush past him on either side to get aggro is good fun.

The amount of spells you can use prior to resting increases as you level up, and there are talents (and I am assuming items) that increase the number as well.

If this is anything like the old IE games, you might want to be a little judicious with your spells and other per rest abilities, especially on higher difficulties.
and in that case what should I do? Use the auto-attacks?

varkuriru

I have auto pause on enemy encounter and it makes me believe there is only one or two enemies... but then the fog of war recedes and I get swarmed lol.

I'm sure some of it has to do with me being more familiar with the game, but the combat is much more satisfying this time around. Sneaking ahead with my Rogue and getting a sneak attack in with an arbalest while my tanks rush past him on either side to get aggro is good fun.
Yeah, the rogue has just the right amount of micro for me, and a lot of it is about movement and positioning. The way Sneak Attack triggers with all the different status effects your other party members throw down is perfect.

Serra

Can someone help me?

in the temple
of Eothas, how do you open the door with the bells? I killed and looted everything. I only found a note implying (if I understand correctly) you have to ring the big bell second. No other clues. How am I supposed to figure this out?

Durante

Can someone help me?

in the temple
of Eothas, how do you open the door with the bells? I killed and looted everything. I only found a note implying (if I understand correctly) you have to ring the big bell second. No other clues. How am I supposed to figure this out?
There's another clue in one of the
visions you have in the temple

I have auto pause on enemy encounter and it makes me believe there is only one or two enemies... but then the fog of war recedes and I get swarmed lol.

I've actually had the opposite experience... There's been several instances where I only aggro a small portion of a huge horde of enemies, making what seems to be one encounter into 3-4. Sorta wonder whether it's a bug or feature.

Alrus

Can someone help me?

in the temple

There's another hint telling you more about the order of ringing somewhere in the temple (forgot which part), or you can find a key to the door hidden in a certain place, Wirtan tells you about it.

Can someone help me?

in the temple

There is also a key you can find. i never touched the bells.

Top Bottom