• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Artanisix

My only complaint thusfar is when you have to fight in an enclosed space and there's a giant wall blocking your view. Makes it really hard to click exactly what you want to hit.

earlyish [act 1] spoilers where I found this particularly relevant
raedric's fort

and in that case what should I do? Use the auto-attacks?

Wizards have the skill arcane blast which can be used 2X per encounter, which is a decent AOE attack. Easier fights can be wrapped up in three or four rounds, so use arcane blast and your ranged weapon of choice and save your bigger spells for tougher fights.

Worst case scenario you throw around too many spells and blow threw camping supplies, you could always hit up speed mode and book it to the nearest vendor or inn, so don't worry bout it too much.

Spookie

Just reading the collectors book which has the Gods and their descriptions and worshipers. Learning about the War that took place, which lead to the events in Act 1 is incredible. :D

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Can someone help me?

in the temple
of Eothas, how do you open the door with the bells? I killed and looted everything. I only found a note implying (if I understand correctly) you have to ring the big bell second. No other clues. How am I supposed to figure this out?

There's another clue that says you need to ring the right bell first, before the large bell:

Solution:
Right Middle Left Right

Zornack

Quick question about Wizard before I jump in: do I get two casts per spell level per grimoire? Say I have two grimoires, does that mean at, say, level 1 I can cast two level 1 spells then switch to a different grimoire and cast another two level 1 spells before needing to rest?

Durante

Just reading the collectors book which has the Gods and their descriptions and worshipers. Learning about the War that took place, which lead to the events in Act 1 is incredible. :D
The first task I made for myself in the game (and completed) was finding all volumes of "The Dyrwood". (I found #3 first)

screenshot_2015-03-27pwqx3.jpg

There's a lot more stuff to read in this game than I remember BG having.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
The first task I made for myself in the game (and completed) was finding all volumes of "The Dyrwood". (I found #3 first)

Pretty sure I've found a volume #6 soooo... Yeah good luck.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

I dunno man, BG had a ton of those types of books.

Durante

Pretty sure I've found a volume #6 soooo... Yeah good luck.
Neat!

There's a typo in one of the books though. And a few questionable changes of tense mid-paragraph. Bad Obsidian!

I dunno man, BG had a ton of those types of books.
It had quite a few, but I found over a dozen lore books in PoE already and I have been to 1 village, 1 dungeon and a few assorted maps, not even one of the major cities yet.

Aaron D.

I can't believe Paradox published PoE & Cities: Skylines only a couple weeks apart. And each are less than $30.

I know, I know...different devs and all, but man am I madly in love with mid-tier PC game production.

In this context, just thinking about Safe, By-The-Numbers AAA productions from the likes of EA has me all...

Zjwo4.gif

d1rtn4p

Welp, think I've hit a gamebreaker...

Just defeated
Raedric
, and If I try to leave the keep from any exit, I just get a black screen and the game stops responding. Hope I can figure something out, because I don't feel like going back to a previous save, which was hours ago. I'm about 13 hours in and this is the first bug I'm seeing.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Do books actually have an effect on your knowledge on subjects or dialogue as well just drilling people for info? Didn't' the BB quest
with the missing chick have a few dialogue options based on Skaen or something? Is that only accessible if you are Priest and that's your God? Or can you actually learn about it in game and then use that knowledge in the quest?

Artanisix

"Welp, think I've hit a gamebreaker...

Just defeated
Raedric
, and If I try to leave the keep from any exit, I just get a black screen and the game stops responding. Hope I can figure something out, because I don't feel like going back to a previous save, which was hours ago. I'm about 13 hours in and this is the first bug I'm seeing."

From what I've heard that's a fairly common bug with no fix... sorry.

Quick question about Wizard before I jump in: do I get two casts per spell level per grimoire? Say I have two grimoires, does that mean at, say, level 1 I can cast two level 1 spells then switch to a different grimoire and cast another two level 1 spells before needing to rest?

Nope, you just get a total number of spell casts per level between rests. Doesn't matter which spell or which grimoire.

-Snooze-

Banned
I went Rogue and i'm regretting it. I'm still very early in the game, but everything is wiping me out. Perhaps i'm going to areas a bit above my station

ZZMitch

You can also press "F", that's actually how I first accidentally discovered it.

Haha yeah me too I was going through the options menu near the beginning of the game and seeing what all the key bindings were.

Not very useful for me right now since I have no companions...

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I went Rogue and i'm regretting it. I'm still very early in the game, but everything is wiping me out. Perhaps i'm going to areas a bit above my station

Are you alone still? If not what companions do you have? Rogues are not at all front line fighters so don't try and have them stand toe to toe against foes if you can. That's what Fighters and Paladins are for.

Rogue is rough going early on but stick with it. Once you pick up a frontline guy (whether a companion or an inn hire), they really start to shine.

I just had to pop in with a great early game tip. I was getting frustrated with my party placements(with 4) while trying to draw enemies a few at a time, but I figured out an easy way to do it. Edit your formation so that your magic users are in the farthest row back and your shield/tanks are in the highest row. Arm the magic users with arquebuses and then stealth the whole party. When your front row sees an enemy, just send the back row to attack. They will not have to go past the front row and will get an early attack in while still keeping your front row ready.

KePoW

Banned
Hey All,

So far I've only had time to look around character creation, haven't really played the game yet.

But does anyone know if this game is better than Baldurs Gate 2 + Throne of Bhaal? I really like that game

There are "hidden spots" and traps count as one of them.

God damn this obtuse game and its obtuse mechanics!

(My Rogue is also an engineer.)

Makes sense though- rogues have to pick locks, disarm traps, crack safes (don't know if they exist in PoE's world), etc so I have no trouble believing they have a lot of mechanical aptitude.

So I have the toggle set to pause after every ability use, but I wish it would actually switch to the character whose ability just finished and not simply pause. Even with only a 4 person party it's sometimes hard to remember who was doing what and what just went off, a full 6 is going to be tough.

Agreed. Also I wish it would pause after the ability animation finishes, not before. Feels anticlimactic this way.

I noticed in my recent replay of BG1 while there were a lot of books to find, there wasn't a huge variety of different titles. So I kept finding the same books over an over.

zonezeus

Nope, that's rogue for you. It gets better, but at level 5 I still die like a bitch. I'm probably doing it wrong, I should have gone with more active skills like invisibility earlier on (and actually use them), instead of the passives I chose.

Stevey

Stuff like seeing the game in your feed on steam and screenshots showing up seems to be fixed (put it in my favorite game showcase now)
Still havent unlocked any achievements yet though.

Sotha_Sil

Equipment failure during field work, stop work called at 11. Home by noon.
Pillars of Eternity Day has begun.

Holy crap, this game is beautiful. Two hours just went by like nothing. There's so much depth of mechanics to learn, though, I feel like I've just scratched the surface.

Zeliard

Uh, confused about the stash. Is there any repercussion in using it? Like items in there won't be available at some point or something?

Feels weird playing a game with basically a bag of holding from the beginning.

You can disable it in the options, as HK-47 pointed out.

Alternatively, if you don't want to bother with that sort of helper stuff at all, you can restart on Expert mode and not give yourself the opportunity to change your mind. :>

Dolor

My biggest complaint is that there is no way to script companions. A little too micromanagey to me...

I would love me some DA: O or FFXII style control over companions rather than having to pause frequently.

Otherwise, seems pretty amazing.

Corpekata

Banned
Hey All,

So far I've only had time to look around character creation, haven't really played the game yet.

But does anyone know if this game is better than Baldurs Gate 2 + Throne of Bhaal? I really like that game

Are you seriously asking if a game that's been out for 2 days is better than probably one of the best games of all time?

Dolor

Oh yeah, BTW is there no way to actually talk to all these soul people all over the place?

It feels weird to read them and then not be able to exchange even a single word.

Are those all backers who designed those backgrounds or what?

Wondered this myself.

Ourobolus

Banned
My friend picked a Cipher on Hard mode and was complaining that it was "bad game design" because he was thrust solo into the first wooded area (after the tutorial) and he couldn't kill the wolves because he had no direct damage.

Miletius

So, I'm having a lot of trouble with SPOILERS ABOUT FIRST MAJOR DUNGEON

Beneath the first town, the shades on the second level are kicking my butt. In particular, the shades, as opposed to the shadows, seem to be able to summon a shadow a piece, which quickly overwhelm my 3 man party, especially since they seem to auto-target the wizard (rightfully so).

I think I'm gonna go bash some wolves and then come back. Game is awesome, I honestly did not expect combat to be this engaging, but it sure is in a good way.

My friend picked a Cipher on Hard mode and was complaining that it was "bad game design" because he was thrust solo into the first wooded area (after the tutorial) and he couldn't kill the wolves because he had no direct damage.

I was not able to kill those guys either alone, on hard mode as a cipher. I think cipher may be one of those slow burn classes, or may need a party to back them up.

jschreier

Hey All,

The nice thing about Pillars of Eternity is that the folks behind it have had 15+ years to iterate on the design flaws and mistakes made in old IE games like BG2, so while I think I'd need more time to figure out which game resonated more with me, Pillars is better-designed in a lot of ways.

DTKT

I'm only 7 or so hours in but I'm not sure the writing and the setting is as interesting/good as planescape or even MoTB. I hope it gets a bit weirder/arcane/strange later on.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Hey All,

Hi Pal!

That is a ridiculous question and it's way too early to answer. It's clearly a great game though.

Top Bottom