• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

infi

I'm liking this game so far. Spent more time making characters than playing them though.

Finally decided on a gun toting cipher but I can't find any guns. I had to take one off one of the companions.

I do like that they have the "You must gather your party before venturing forth" in the game.

studyguy

Man making a character then remaking another is like 90% of what I've done in this game so far. The curse of character creation obsession is real.

Zeliard

My friend picked a Cipher on Hard mode and was complaining that it was "bad game design" because he was thrust solo into the first wooded area (after the tutorial) and he couldn't kill the wolves because he had no direct damage.

No direct damage? How about his... weapon?

I'm also playing as Cipher on Hard (+ Expert), and while that wooded area can be rough solo, killing the wolves is certainly manageable.

Morzak

Blame the player, not the stats. Those are fairly capable attribute spreads. You need to hold back with your Rogue, lead in with the Fighter and use your Wizard sparingly. Get everyone on your Fighter and come in from behind with your Rogue to get Flanking and stab everyone to death.

Yeah With using doorways to my advantage I managed the encounters until multiple shadows.... Some of them were damn tough with 3 people.

I really like the game though It's challenging, learning with every encounter. The lore is interesting and there seems to be a lot of it.

infi

No direct damage? How about his... weapon?

I'm also playing as Cipher on Hard (+ Expert), and while that wooded area can be rough solo, killing the wolves is certainly manageable.

I first did that area as a druid and it was a breeze, then I made a Cipher and struggled a lot. The Cipher did feel a bit weak in the first couple of levels but as I've gotten a bit further he's a beast.

Durante

Yeah With using doorways to my advantage I managed the encounters until multiple shadows.... Some of them were damn tough with 3 people.

I really like the game though It's challenging, learning with every encounter. The lore is interesting and there seems to be a lot of it.
If you're trying to do it with 3 people you are making it unnecessarily hard for yourself. Just get some adventurers.

Im really terrible at this. Ive died about a dozen times already, and ive only put in a few hours. I guess I should have started on easy. :/

You built a character that is not gimmicky or unusual. Now things will soon attack and possibly kill you. What to do??

1. Scout ahead. You can only find traps in scouting mode (i.e., using Stealth). You can only get the drop on enemies effectively in scouting mode. You can only find cool hidden shit in scouting mode. Hit the Alt key. Congratulations, you are now in scouting mode. Everyone can scout, even if they have no Stealth skill. Only people with decent Mechanics can find stuff, though. And not everyone can sneak close to enemies, so keep an eye on your selection circles to see when you're about to be spotted.

2. Have a plan. Because you scouted ahead, you know where the enemies are and how they’re set up to hurt you. You now have all the time in the world to figure out how you’re going to open the fight, including where you want to focus which attacks and in what order. Get in position. Pop some consumables. Do some buffs. Fight on your terms.

3. Pause the game. Pause when you spot an enemy (better still, get the game to autopause for you). Pause before you do anything. Pause after you do anything. Spend more time paused than not paused. ABP, brahs. Always be pausing. Only unpause when everyone in your party is about to do something. Then pause again the second they’re done.

4. Hide behind big dudes. Front-line fighters and other builds who can take a beating go first. Rogues, ciphers, and support casters that aren’t built to tank go behind or to the side of your front line, where they can pick their moments to attack. Bows, bullets, and spells go to the back. The engagement system will punish you if you don’t keep things orderly.

4. Tie up mobs with tanks. The fighter companion you find after the prologue has a modal ability that engages three enemies at once, which stops them engaging your other characters. Hint: you want this turned on. Your front line is the shield behind which all your other characters shelter. To find out if an enemy is targeting one of those other characters, mouse over the enemy's selection circle and see who’s flashing on your team. If it’s a soft target, move one of your tanks to intercept. Use the environment and positioning to dictate who fights whom and where.

5. Once engaged, don’t run away. You can see who is "engaged" to whom by tracing the green and red arcs that connect selection circles. Also, if your movement cursor has a red highlight, the selected character is very definitely engaged, which means moving away will give your enemy a free shot at their retreating back. This a bad, terrible, no-good thing. There is almost no situation in which disengaging wildly is a good idea, especially for non-tanks. Stay in the fight and work your way out of it. Don’t be the guy who disengages his wizard and his wizard dies. :(

6. If you have to run away, be smart about it. Okay, so your wizard really is swarmed and really is dying. That sucks. But they will die faster if you move them, trust me. While there are some talents and equipment and shit that mitigate disengagement attacks, the best thing to do is disable the engaged enemies. At low levels, your fighter has a neat ability that knocks shit prone. Use it to break engagement so your wizard can scram. It's better to break engagement with your tanks and clear the way, as they're more likely to shake off disengagement attacks. Rogues also have cool ways to disengage, so try to be a rogue where possible.

7. Use your “per encounter” abilities. In this game, the real enemy is attrition: having your health worn down across multiple fights, building up fatigue, and blowing through your per rest abilities that can only be replenished by camping or hitting up an inn, both of which burn resources. So figure out what your per encounter abilities and use them. Per encounter. Like, use them every encounter. Save the per rest stuff for when it's needed, especially if you’re a caster.

8. But don’t, like, blow up your own team. If you’re not playing on Expert mode (and if you are, why are you even reading this?), abilities with an area of effect show where they’ll land before you use them. The red part is the base area of effect for the spell or ability. The yellow part is the bonus area granted by your Intellect attribute. This yellow part is doubly awesome because it is “Foe AoE,” which means it only hurts bad guys. The red part is less awesome because it will do harm to any party members caught in it. Some spells are all foe AoE, right to the core. They rule. On the other hand, spells that cause physical changes to the environment (e.g. Slicken) affect everyone they touch. Reading tooltips is fun!

9. Reading tooltips is fun. The game provides a lot of information, and understanding it is critical to not dying. Mouse over everything and read it — especially the abilities available to you and especially when a new party member joins. Sensuki has good video digests of mechanics and classes if you don’t want to trawl the Cyclopedia ... but you should probably also trawl the Cyclopedia. Another way to learn what’s going on and why is to expand the combat log and click or mouse over individual lines or incidents. It’ll break down the math and dice rolls for you. Math!

10. Also, hotkeys are swell. Press Alt to pop in and out of scouting mode. I bound Z to select the whole party, since it’s close to other keys I use often — including X, which cancels actions (and stops the party dead if you have them all selected), and A, which lets you attack shit even when it’s not mad at you. Press D to run everywhere at double speed out of combat and D again to stop. Tab highlights things you can click! It’s just as useful in combat, so try it and see why. You can select your different party members with the number keys. And if you shift-click an action (like walking somewhere, or using an ability), it will add said action to an invisible queue that lets you plot out what your party members do now and next. You can also hotkey abilities by hovering over them and pressing the key you want to do it. Like a real videogame.

How soon do you get other party members? I got the first two, and was bummed out that rolling a wizard means the early game is me stuck with two wizards. My party is squishy as fuck.

EDIT: Also, do party members scale when you find them? The last thing I'd want is to roll deep with a party of 6 for a while and find a crap level 2 member that I'd love to use, but because of the way XP is handled in this game, I'd never be able to get up to snuff.

studyguy

I need to change the camera pans to WASD
I'm not used to mouse scrolling and using the arrow keys sorta annoys me.

How soon do you get other party members? I got the first two, and was bummed out that rolling a wizard means the early game is me stuck with two wizards. My party is squishy as fuck.

You can make another person at the Inn IIRC

Zeliard

I first did that area as a druid and it was a breeze, then I made a Cipher and struggled a lot. The Cipher did feel a bit weak in the first couple of levels but as I've gotten a bit further he's a beast.

It's not an area you want to hang around in. Once I found the exit to the Vale, I bolted out of there. But as far as the actual wolf encounters, I was able to take them out pretty effectively using a crossbow.

Corpekata

Banned

EDIT: Also, do party members scale when you find them? The last thing I'd want is to roll deep with a party of 6 for a while and find a crap level 2 member that I'd love to use, but because of the way XP is handled in this game, I'd never be able to get up to snuff.

Follow the path to the stronghold and you'll find two more.

AEREC

Starting out with a pretty generic character:

0FE5C16CD8239E673B147D1788E357A8967A873B

I have a hard time with RPG's that give you too many character customization options, I always end up re-rolling my character multiple times since I usually find something to nit-pick over. I'm really gonna try and stop doing that for this game though and I am enjoying it more because of it.

Corpekata

Banned
Not sure. Levels are so slow, it could be that they scaled or just were at that level naturally. They were both in line with me when I found them.

Alastor3

I just completed the quest in the first dungeon (
temple
), and that was really hard. On hard. I pretty much had to go all-out in controlling space and every single character's actions from the start. And I still needed to try some encounters multiple times.

Loving it.

I did this, this morning. It was awesome, the feeling of accomplishment!!!

Fun little story about the dead guy in Valewood just before entering Gilded Vale, if you go to the south at Magran's Fork, you'll find something in the bushes in the middle-down of the map. :p

Kimaka

It's not an area you want to hang around in. Once I found the exit to the Vale, I bolted out of there. But as far as the actual wolf encounters, I was able to take them out pretty effectively using a crossbow.

That area was a death trap as a dual wielding Cipher. Barely made it out alive from that wolf fight by spamming Whisper of Treason and Eyestrike.

Chaos17

Man making a character then remaking another is like 90% of what I've done in this game so far. The curse of character creation obsession is real.

For my part, I may reroll because I've encoutered specters in the ruins of the first village and only spells seems to be really effective on them. But I only have the default mage. I hiered a mercery but as a priest and damn, she was weak. Not a good off tank like in Baldur gate.

My first character is a hunter but she didn't seems to make any big damages and her pet was great for the tutorial but not so great after it. While the mage cast fireball and "boom" the enemy can loose almost half of his health.

I'm pretty sure with an adapted UI the game would play fine on controller.

The combat demands too much precision and coordination for it to work with just UI changes. Dialog would also be a bit of a bummer for controllers, too. And inventory management...

This is one of those games that just isn't suitable for controllers.

Actually, like most recent Unity games it's only borderless window. No fullscreen.

I'm actually a bit confused about this. In Wasteland 2 and Endless Legend, I had a problem where I was playing at sub-native resolution on a 1440p monitor, and the custom mouse cursor for the game would only work inside of the 1600x900 (my res for the game) area at the top left of my monitor. But in this game, the custom mouse cursor works just fine in full screen at sub-native res. Not sure how they're doing it, I was wondering if you knew? Are they just changing the desktop resolution with changes to the game's resolution?

It's pretty awesome that they don't have this problem. It was a big annoyance for me in those other games.

It'd actually be a great game to play with a Steam Controller.

Games like this are why I'm dying for the Steam controller to be released! I'm loving this game so far, but it's gonna be murder on my wrist to play it for 60+ hours.

IIRC the RPS review mentioned that all party members join you at one level below your main character's level.

V_Arnold

I'm only 7 or so hours in but I'm not sure the writing and the setting is as interesting/good as planescape or even MoTB. I hope it gets a bit weirder/arcane/strange later on.

Believe me when I say that it does. I had a "wtf" moment with a certain party member after finishing Act 1 that literally made me shiver.

Not really feeling the companions (found 4 so far). None of them really strike me as particularly interesting or cool. Also, so far, it's a total sausage fest.

Corpekata

Banned
The concept for the Wicht enemy type is rather unsettling. Seriously read the enemy descriptions if you haven't, lots of good stuff there.

Games like this are why I'm dying for the Steam controller to be released! I'm loving this game so far, but it's gonna be murder on my wrist to play it for 60+ hours.

IIRC the RPS review mentioned that all party members join you at one level below your main character's level.

Ah! Thats...great. That perfect solves all the old BG style problems of rushing to get characters before you could level past them.

studyguy

hold down the middle mouse button and pan that way. Working pretty well for me.

I tried that for a while actually, I didn't enjoy it.
I'm just a stickler for everything in one hand's reach.
Fortunately like that other guy says, it sounds like I can make a swap no prob.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I tried that for a while actually, I didn't enjoy it.
I'm just a stickler for everything in one hand's reach.
Fortunately like that other guy says, it sounds like I can make a swap no prob.

Yea I mapped scrolling to WASD and put slow mo on Q and fast forward on E. Works great.

Top Bottom