• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Kvik

Good morning everyone! Wake up, brush teeth, breakfast, Eternity!

I'm pretty sure with an adapted UI the game would play fine on controller.

No no no, the UI is fine. There is no need to 'consolize' anything. There's Dragon Age Inquisition for that.

So what's the highest Stat based dialogue option you guys have found so far? I went 16 int 15 res 15 perception and I'm afraid I don't have at least one Stat high enough. I didn't realize we wouldn't get more points as we lvled.

kd-z

Played for 8 and a half hours today and will probably play for 1,5-2 more. Awesome game. I finished all the quests in Gilded Vale, including the main one, and am now headed towards the keep with the story important old dude.

Wouldn't mind meeting some cool lady companions though, right now my party is a sausage fest.

Also, yesterday it took me 2 hours (seriously!) to decide on a character. Ended up as a Fire Godlike Barbarian.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
So what's the highest Stat based dialogue option you guys have found so far? I went 16 int 15 res 15 perception and I'm afraid I don't have at least one Stat high enough. I didn't realize we wouldn't get more points as we lvled.

Well you can buff them a good deal with stat boosting enactments, resting bonuses and consumables. As well as some talents.

Make sure to use both per-encounter blasts. If the fight looks rough then maybe a spell or two. If not then yeah just auto attack low-health monsters.

Wizards have the skill arcane blast which can be used 2X per encounter, which is a decent AOE attack. Easier fights can be wrapped up in three or four rounds, so use arcane blast and your ranged weapon of choice and save your bigger spells for tougher fights.

Worst case scenario you throw around too many spells and blow threw camping supplies, you could always hit up speed mode and book it to the nearest vendor or inn, so don't worry bout it too much.
thanks!
Also, where do you find informations about attack/recovery time? I've looked a video and it says that a single handed weapon has an attack time and 2 recovery times after. Where do I find this info?

The combat demands too much precision and coordination for it to work with just UI changes. Dialog would also be a bit of a bummer for controllers, too. And inventory management...

This is one of those games that just isn't suitable for controllers.

Inventory management and dialog not suited for controllers? Have you ever played a console RPG? Cmon now.

Also check Temple of Elemental Evil for a good example of radial selection that would work great with a controller for abilities. And there's zero precision or coordination in this game required, this game is built around pausing...... Go try kotor on xbox it plays great with rtwp.

No no no, the UI is fine. There is no need to 'consolize' anything. There's Dragon Age Inquisition for that.

It's like you intentionally miss the point just to shitpost about consoles and Dragon Age. Or do you shit about Diablo 3 because it's console version has a UI adapted for it?

Durante

I'm pretty sure with an adapted UI the game would play fine on controller.
This is a joke right? Playing this game with a controller would be an exercise in frustration.

You can optimize away one or two steps in that!

It's like you intentionally miss the point just to shitpost about consoles and Dragon Age. Or do you shit about Diablo 3 because it's console version has a UI adapted for it?
Actually, Diablo 3 is shit compared to 2 in a large part because they designed all the skills to be controller friendly from the start (directional rather than positional). But that's a bit OT.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
thanks!
Also, where do you find informations about attack/recovery time? I've looked a video and it says that a single handed weapon has an attack time and 2 recovery times after. Where do I find this info?

It's not exactly readily available anywhere in the game. Basically every action has an animation time, these vary by the weapon, spell or ability, then a recovery time, which is 1.2 times as long as the animation. Then you have armor speed penalties which are a percentage increase of that recovery time, up to 50% longer.

SoCoRoBo

I'm sure there are better ways of beating the Temple of Eothas than having an almost total wipe to every encounter with the shadows, running back to the inn after every fight and killing my party twice with Aloth's Rolling Flame but it wouldn't be my way.

Durante

It's not exactly readily available anywhere in the game. Basically every action has an animation time, these vary on the weapon, sorrel our ability, then a recovery time, which is 1.2 times as long as the animation. Then you have armor speed penalties which are a percentage increase of that recovery time, up to 50% longer.
I love the recovery animations for some stuff. Particularly reloading crossbows. Crank it!

This is a joke right? Playing this game with a controller would be an exercise in frustration.

You can optimize away one or two steps in that!

Actually, Diablo 3 is shit compared to 2 in a large part because they designed all the skills to be controller friendly from the start (directional rather than positional). But that's a bit OT.

1. No I don't think at all it would be an exercise in frustration with a good control scheme. I'm sure wasteland 2 will end up just fine and pillars would have not been any different. I never believed it was possible to make a proper mmo control scheme on a console and yet they did it with FFXIV.

2. You could have a point if spells like Meteor or Blizzard didn't exist (positional). Also let's not kid ourselves; the 2 button skills scheme (left and right mouse button) with hotkeys for switching them was not a genius idea

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Fellow monks: Is using fists considered dual wielding? It seems to be given the attack speed, but I'm just curious if I get anything by taking talents that buff it.

Like the 20% attack speed when dual wielding talent seems like it would be absolutely cray on fists.

jsrv

Is it better to spread your skills per character or specialize in just 1 or 2? (Stealth, Athletics, Mechanics, etc)

Durante

Is it better to spread your skills per character or specialize in just 1 or 2? (Stealth, Athletics, Mechanics, etc)
There are a few skill checks which check everyone in the party, but the vast majority don't. So I think specialization is better than generalization.

kafiend

I'm sure there are better ways of beating the Temple of Eothas than having an almost total wipe to every encounter with the shadows, running back to the inn after every fight and killing my party twice with Aloth's Rolling Flame but it wouldn't be my way.

Like a lot of inside encounters.
Leave your main party in a strategic location some distance from the mobs spread out wide with a tank in a forward position. Go in solo and open fire on an unaware enemy with a bow. Run back to your party, (and then behind it if you are staying ranged) trailing the irritated mobs. Send in the tank to engage when the enemy appears in your corridor of doom. A lot of the time you only bring in a few enemies at a time which makes it a lot less annoying on Hard.

KScorp

Having a point or two in Athletics to mitigate combat fatigue might be useful, but other than that I see no reason to. You'll get to higher skill levels faster if you specialize, naturally, so you can pass some checks a level or two earlier compared to not specializing.

Fellow monks: Is using fists considered dual wielding? It seems to be given the attack speed, but I'm just curious if I get anything by taking talents that buff it.

Like the 20% attack speed when dual wielding talent seems like it would be absolutely cray on fists.

Yes it works.

[Asmodean]

I was messing around with some command line stuff and lol, apparently forcing d3d11 via the launch command '-force-d3d11' actually works (as in forcing it).

Its glitchy ofc - shows vertices of some 3d stuff, on cloths. but I thought it was still pretty interesting.

Grazzt

I'm enjoying this game so much!!! Can't stop playing...
Anyone noticed that spells in this game are very similar to DND ones? Fan of flame is hand of flame, etc.
I'm playing a cipher and I think it's more powerful than wizard.

Vamphuntr

Fan of Flames spell thrashes them. Attract them in the doorstep then fire away.

jtb

Banned
I'm so glad this game uses the tab key. Not being able highlight everything was so annoying when I was replaying Planescape: Torment because I kept expecting it to work and... uh... it never did :(

Zeliard

I'm so glad this game uses the tab key. Not being able highlight everything was so annoying when I was replaying Planescape: Torment because I kept expecting it to work and... uh... it never did :(

It's kinda funny since I immediately tried to rebind hold to highlight in Eternity to Alt... and it wouldn't work. So I had to bind toggle highlight to Alt.

Quick question, I am creating my first character and I want to be a "rogue sniper"

Is a wood elf rogue the best?
Or do I have to be a ranger to be good with bows?
I see rogue starts off with "sneak attack" can that be used with a bow?

Ludovico

I'm using a monk with a long sword. Is this completely pants on head, or are fists about average with actually being armed? Never played a monk class before, so I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be building around.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'm using a monk with a long sword. Is this completely pants on head, or are fists about average with actually being armed? Never played a monk class before, so I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be building around.

If you want to use weapons, be something else. The only reason to use a monk is for all the crazy fist attacks they get.

Fist damage starts out equivalent to a weapon and grows continuously as you level.

pants on head. if you wanna be a kung-fu wuxia dude just go warrior with single weapon style and pretend.

Having a point or two in Athletics to mitigate combat fatigue might be useful, but other than that I see no reason to. You'll get to higher skill levels faster if you specialize, naturally, so you can pass some checks a level or two earlier compared to not specializing.

Crap, I gave my wizard 4 in athletics to complement his 5 (and soon to be much higher) mechanics roll. Is that too much? Should I re-roll then? I'm about 2-3 hours in.

m_dorian

Just got it from GOG but i have to delay playing it due to the obstacle that is called Work. Patiently waiting for my days off.

Robert7lee

Neo Member
I'm on the fence wether to get this, I loved divinity original sin mostly because of the turned based combat, that real time combat seems a little off putting to mean, does the pausing help keep you in control of battles can it get overwhelming?

Gaz_RB

My party now consists of:
Two tanks (one of which is a character I created at an Inn, and in terms of the world I'm RPing her as the sister to my main character so its not just a random person). Having two tanks is pretty useful I feel, for blocking off chokepoints while everyone else is either supporting or using ranged attacks.

A Chanter, which is super useful as both a ranged guy and a backup tank, not to mention that he can summon 3 skeletons to help get the heat off my characters if there is any trouble. The boosts his songs give are also a life saver. Couldn't imagine not having him in my party.

A rogue, my main character, who has a crossbow and a rapier so she's suited where ever she can be used-whether for the initial sneak attacks, scouting ahead, or being deadly with the crossbow behind the front lines. I was worried that she would be too situational, but it hasn't been an issue.

A wizard, who I have specced for a bit of crowd control in addition to some hard hitting one target spells for taking down the more bothersome enemies with really high health. He's got a scepter so he's actually still kind of useful when he's out of spells.

A priest, who usually stays between the front line and the rear line to ensure that no one falls to low. I usually have him buff armor and put down a circle of regeneration during the tougher fights, and then have him on standby to provide situational healing and buffing. If something goes wrong with the front line, he's got good enough robes that I can sub him in to protect the casters for a few seconds while I rearrange-or flee.

That arrangement is doing really well with me so far. I haven't had any trouble since I got my 6th member, and I've cleared out a dungeon or two at this point. Playing Hard-Expert, btw. I've been trying not to save scum too much, and accept my punishment if I fuck up, though if a character ever perma-dies, I imagine I would reload.

Have I mentioned how much I love the scout and endurance mechanics? I love sending a duo ahead to scout out the road ahead or a new room. It allows you to plan out things and really plot out what you want to do without using too many resources.Those resources are made far more important by the implementation of the endurance/resting mechanics.Each fight becomes important because how much effort and resources you put forward takes away from what you could be using in a later, sometimes harder fight. It's not like Baldur's Gate where you just sleep whenever your health is low-in Pillars you have to manage your limited supply of tent supplies.

Overall, I'm about 8 hours in and I totally get what people were talking about how they couldn't stop playing. I'm really looking into delving deeper in PoE because I feel like I've only barely scratched the surface. I forgot how much I missed IE games. Divinity OS nearly satisfied it, but PoE has completely fulfilled my D+D impulses.

Durante

I'm on the fence wether to get this, I loved divinity original sin mostly because of the turned based combat, that real time combat seems a little off putting to mean, does the pausing help keep you in control of battles can it get overwhelming?
It's not overwhelming at all, since you can simply pause whenever you need to do anything complex. Think of it as simultaneous turn-based with continuously customizable turn lengths and built-in fast-forward :p

water_wendi

Water is not wet!

It can get heated but there are a couple things that can help. The first is being able to set conditions for the game to auto-pause (enemy sighted, low health, ineffective weapon, and a whole bunch of other conditions.. theres even one where you can choose a sliding scale of 1 second intervals). The second thing that has helped me tons is to turn the game into Slow mode once battle starts. i find battles much more manageable in combat when things are like 66% normal speed unpaused.

I've been Googling for the past couple of hours for possible graphics settings + tweaks for low-end systems, to hopefully squeeze playability out of my laptop... haven't found anything except the MSAA 0 console toggle, so far.

But, one thing I've noticed is when browsing random forums for info; I eventually scroll down to the bottom of the page, and I notice the visitor counter at the bottom:

It doesn't say '0 members, 1 guest viewing this topic'... I actually see other visitors... browsing random cRPG forums... in 2015...

69Vayu2.gif

I'm in love with this game. Just got to Caed Nua, maybe I should go back and try
the fight with Raedric, I got my ass kicked with a party of 3.

Also, Durance is fucking crazy.

Artanisix

"Anyone using a difficulty setting > Hard?

How doable is ti?"

It's tough but doable. Some battles will make you tear your hair out [act 1]
Raedric fight
. But it's extremely rewarding.

Almighty

Well I just had my first CtD after about 8 hours of game time. Hopefully it doesn't become common. Also 31k peak players congrats Obsidian.

Top Bottom