• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Ludovico

Thanks for the Monk comments, going toss the sword and move to a life of peaceful meditation and delivering enlightenment via my fists.

Almighty

Well Durante I think I might have to admit that RtwP might not be as bad as I thought. The slowdown feature in this game is a godsend for me and has increased my enjoyment of the combat by quite a bit.

voOsh

Along the topic of companion scaling, if I create a character at the inn later in the game, say when my party is level 6-7, will the new character still be level 1?

Seriously folks, humour me. I put 4 atheletics into my Wizard but I planned on focusing on Mechanics entirely after that (Mech is at 5) my character isn't ruined are they?

It's not exactly readily available anywhere in the game. Basically every action has an animation time, these vary by the weapon, spell or ability, then a recovery time, which is 1.2 times as long as the animation. Then you have armor speed penalties which are a percentage increase of that recovery time, up to 50% longer.
I see. The video said that 2 weapons equipped do something like: attack 1 - recovery 1 - attack 2 - recovery 2. One handed weapon instead do something like:attack 1 - recovery 1 - recovery 2. Is this correct?

Anno

Seriously folks, humour me. I put 4 atheletics into my Wizard but I planned on focusing on Mechanics entirely after that (Mech is at 5) my character isn't ruined are they?

You're good, don't worry about it. I actually think it would be impossible to ruin a character through any method of skill allocation outside of just skipping it.

Corpekata

Banned

No. The skills aren't all something to stress about except for maybe Rogue players that want to stealth a lot. Lot of leeway there.

megalowho

Started a druid, looks pretty fun. Good melee when u shapeshift and some different spells.
Just got to Act 2 with my Druid and it's pretty badass so far. Good magic/melee hybrid class with interesting AOE spells, love that you can shapeshift every encounter.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Haha god damn I just got utterly annihilated by the
Bandit camp in the Black Meadow

And I thought I was doing so good easily killing those trolls, too.

Chaos17

Rerolled, made a paladin, she is cool but I miss my hunter now and seems none of my new party is able to detect anything without the proper skills, lol.

I guess, I will just take back my first character and continue with it. I will just hire a second tank so my priest won't die now.

Tukker

lol about the first companion
wtf is up with aloth his stats? his might is so bad and then he has alot of points in some junk stats

injurai

Banned
Well Durante I think I might have to admit that RtwP might not be as bad as I thought. The slowdown feature in this game is a godsend for me and has increased my enjoyment of the combat by quite a bit.

I've always enjoyed it more. The second best imo is the Fallout way of handling things. It seems Torment will be going for a tactics style turn best combat? I'm not sure how I feel about that. But the encounters seem to be infrequent enough that it won't be too tiring.

Any reason why I can't see an option for 1920x1080 (60Hz) resolution in-game? I can see 59Hz or 61Hz if I create a custom resolution but no 60Hz for that particular resolution. It's there for lower resolutions such as 1680x1050 but not 1920x1080. Edit - It seems setting my desktop resolution to 60Hz doesn't stick. I change it from 59 to 60 and apply changes but when I go back into the menu it's back on 59. Maybe this is why it's not showing up in-game, though other resolutions allow it. Strange!

Not sure if it's related to my refresh rate problem but even with Vsync enabled I get a line of what looks like tearing about ¼ of the way down the screen from the top. It only shows when I move the camera around but it's damn annoying.

Paging Durante, any ideas? :)

Yep, slow down in combat is a must, recommended for everyone who are new to this kind of game.

gate777

Xj25heL.png

:D Can't wait to dive in!!

Almighty

I've always enjoyed it more. The second best imo is the Fallout way of handling things. It seems Torment will be going for a tactics style turn best combat? I'm not sure how I feel about that. But the encounters seem to be infrequent enough that it won't be too tiring.

Yeah turn based last I heard. Which is fine by me as I love turn based combat though Wasteland 2 has shown that inXile still has away to go before they can match Obsidian or Larian in combat design. I also don't think they will be able to match Torments writing either, but I am hoping they can prove me wrong on both counts.

Yep, slow down in combat is a must, recommended for everyone who are new to this kind of game.

Yeah it fixed probably my biggest problem with RTwP as it is hard to keep up with the action sometimes. Being able to slow it down has made it much easier to do that.

I gotta say, the game is deep. I can't believe they're getting away with this! WHO FUNDED THIS PIECE OF GOLD?!

I'm Spartacus.

Rad-

If you want to use weapons, be something else. The only reason to use a monk is for all the crazy fist attacks they get.

Fist damage starts out equivalent to a weapon and grows continuously as you level.

Monk abilities work with weapons. And at the moment end game fists seem to be a bit underpowered. Weapons are more powerful, even for a monk.

It was me.

And me.

Do companions scale with you as you level while you don't use them?

Later in the game you have the option of sending the companions you're not using on their own adventures, and they will get XP for themselves and reward objects. Like, you have a menu in which you choose an easy adventure, a hard adventure, and so on, to send them on.

I haven't reached that point but I've read about it.

Giever

What do people think of these attributes for a ranged (probably firearms) Cipher:

Might - 16
Constitution - 3
Dexterity - 15
Perception - 16
Intellect - 18
Resolve - 10

My thinking is kind of a forensic-y scientist soul detective, which is partially why I want the perception so high. Should I use resolve as a dump stat, too? In which case, would this be better:

Might - 20 (or 19)
Constitution - 3
Dexterity - 17 (or 18)
Perception - 16
Intellect - 18
Resolve - 4

Edit: The main reason I'm concerned about Resolve is for having enough Concentration. Dunno if that's a concern for spellcasters, cause it seems like it would be. On the other hand, I'd be pretty far away from the danger (one hopes), so maybe it's not a realistic thing to worry about, but yeah. Also, for roleplaying concerns it just feels sad to have so little resolve, for a kind of arrogant detective. :p

CCIE

Banned
I am THIS close to buying this game... however, it looks like a time sink I simply cannot afford at this point in time. I didn't pick up DA:I yet for the same reason. But, this kind of game makes me smile.

Is the Mac version okay? Will it run well on a Macbook Pro with 16GB RAM?

I think the "Quick Switch" talent is broken. It's supposed to reduce your weapon switch speed from 2 seconds, to .5.

When I first acquired the talent, it was working fine, but now it's just back to normal, slow switching speeds.

Corpekata

Banned
How does Eder's "engage 3 people" ability work with the "Hold the Line!" talent, that increases engagement by 1? That means I'm at a default of 2, does it increase to 4 with the ability or stay at 3?

Violet_0

Banned
I wanted to build a trap corridor for a particularly challenging boss fight but then I found out you can only have one trap active at any time (per character, maybe) :(

also unlocked 3rd tevel spells for Aloth and the fireballs barely even hurt enemies now, disappointing

on the other hand, the chant that doubles your reload speed and slightly increases attack speed is kinda neat in a group armed with guns

Anyone mind telling me what ideal stats I should focus on for a Fighter that can Tank decently and do Damage efficiently?

This is my current Fighter Level 2:(Medium Difficulty)

MIG 13
CON 16
DEX 11
PER 12
INT 11
RES 15

Now I'm alone at the beginning area of the game,I'm sure everyone knows what I'm talking about to avoid spoilers.

As a Tank? I'm doing great, however as a damage dealer boy did it take forever to take down one enemy, I was dealing blows and neither one of us went down as our endurance kept recovering.

I'm talking about the Dwarf surrounded by 3 Bandits,I took down two bandits, not fast but in good time, then the third didn't want to go down until like 1-2 minutes hitting him.(However the 3 lizards next to the Bear cave went down fast though)

My question was, is this Normal at the beginning levels? and the stats I invested in,are they looking good for a Fighter or should I be re-rolling?

I'm really lost with these attributes, It might be the same however for some reason D&D stats were far easier to Invest in as I knew what they did Immediately for my character.

dude

dude
wtf is up with aloth his stats? his might is so bad and then he has alot of points in some junk stats

I actually like when companions aren't built 100% for usability, gives them more flavor.

As for hard difficulty - I'm playing on hard as well. It's definitely hard, I'd say it's about the same as playing BG2 on Core Rules difficulty.

Cerity

Man, this arbalest I picked up. Chopping up monsters before they even get close. The attack speed is slow but they defnitely make it up with the damage they do, especially compared to the bows I was using earlier.

Anyone mind telling me what ideal stats I should focus on for a Fighter that can Tank decently and do Damage efficiently?

MIG 13
CON 16
DEX 11
PER 12
INT 11
RES 15

Now I'm alone at the beginning area of the game,I'm sure everyone knows what I'm talking about to avoid spoilers.

As a Tank? I'm doing great, however as a damage dealer boy did it take forever to take down one enemy, I was dealing blows and neither one of us went down as our endurance kept recovering.

I'm talking about the Dwarf surrounded by 3 Bandits,I took down two bandits, not fast but in good time, then the third didn't want to go down until like 1-2 minutes hitting him.(However the 3 lizards next to the Bear cave went down fast though)

My question was, is this Normal at the beginning levels? and the stats I invested in,are they looking good for a Fighter or should I be re-rolling?

I'm really lost with these attributes, It might be the same however for some reason D&D stats were far easier to Invest in as I knew what they did Immediately for my character.

Don't worry about stats too much. Unlike DnD the difference between a shit build and a perfect min max one is way way less severe. Just enjoy and allocate on points you deem useful

Is there a way to access an unused party member's inventory?
Man, this arbalest I picked up. Chopping up monsters before they even get close. The attack speed is slow but they defnitely make it up with the damage they do, especially compared to the bows I was using earlier.

I bet that's the same one I got
early on (I can't actually remember where!)
. It's incredible.

JC Sera

About four and a half hours in so far. I just finished the quest
for the pregnant girl
in the first town.
I didn't have the heart to tell her the medicine wouldn't do anything.
I was just honest, she admits she kinda knew deep down noone can cure this, and thanks you for going on the fetch quest anyway.
I've found
he
is still stupidly useful on my team

Grats on the Inn by the way. It was so nice to finally walk inside.

I have yet to step inside our inn. I'm role playing the shit outta this game and reading every dialogue and mind.
Just met Kana.
Going to continue the journey further.

First thing I did was fire up the credits and spot "NeoGAF Community". *Aww yeah!*

Violet_0

Banned

MIG 13
CON 16
DEX 11
PER 12
INT 11
RES 15

high might, high int/res depending on what you want, some con. I'd advise you to min/max some stats since for example perception 12 will hardly give you more dialogue options after the first few hours (I assume, I use expert mode). One-hand weapons will generally not do much damage unless you dualwield

JC Sera

Did anyone else find with fighting
Raedric that it was always almost impossible fighting him after initiating dialogue, cause your party was put in an awkward position?

I eventually ended up standing at the bottom of the stairs, get my ranger to shoot someone, have them run into a trap and rolling fireball.

Dear god the meatball is the best spell 10/10.

So for anyone else that's finished Act 1, I'm curious what your party's reputation is currently at.

Mine is:
Clever:1
Stoic: 1
Diplomatic: 1
Passionate: 1
Rational: 1
Deceptive: 1
Or, in other words, a smorgasbord. (I'd make a terrible Paladin)

This was with Show Personality/Reputation off, by the way.

Top Bottom