• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

PBalfredo

Now that the weekend is here, time to dive in to something beyond the character creator.

BTW, does this game have actual, named companions with dialog and personalities, or just generics that you make/recruit to fill up your party?

Noaloha

Loving my time with this game and I hate to be negative, but some constructive criticism, I'm almost at a point where I'm considering zeroing the volume on speech. I dislike how the voice-overs start immediately regardless of the non-dialogue prose. I want to read the descriptive prose setting up the spoken parts before the voice comes in. A toggle-able button that activates spoken dialogue sections when I want to hear it, situated on the side of the dialogue box, would be wonderful.

One other thing. Say I want my tank person to have a shield equipped in both weapon slots.,. currently it seems like I need two separate shields? Am I wrong?

JC Sera

So for anyone else that's finished Act 1, I'm curious what your party's reputation is currently at.

Mine is:
Clever:1
Stoic: 1
Diplomatic: 1
Passionate: 1
Rational: 1
Deceptive: 1
Or, in other words, a smorgasbord. (I'd make a terrible Paladin)

This was with Show Personality/Reputation off, by the way.
Mine was on finishing ACT 1 (this is with the Personality/Reputation off)
Benevolent: 2
Honest: 1
I feel like a lot Quest hooks give you
benevolent
Also so surprised when the Act 1 achievement pooped up

Don't worry about stats too much. Unlike DnD the difference between a shit build and a perfect min max one is way way less severe. Just enjoy and allocate on points you deem useful

high might, high int/res depending on what you want, some con. I'd advise you to min/max some stats since for example perception 12 will hardly give you more dialogue options after the first few hours (I assume, I use expert mode). One-hand weapons will generally not do much damage unless you dualwield

Oh boy, this is what I was worried about, combat might be okay but dialogue options is what I'm worried about.

Thanks guys, I guess I wont be playing this game for a few hours, until I settle on a character, will be spending some time getting ideal stats that I'm comfortable with.

Violet_0

Banned
Did anyone else find with fighting
Raedric that it was always almost impossible fighting him after initiating dialogue, cause your party was put in an awkward position?

I eventually ended up standing at the bottom of the stairs, get my ranger to shoot someone, have them run into a trap and rolling fireball.

Dear god the meatball is the best spell 10/10.

you only needed to initiate the dialogue with one character. Placed a trap, positioned my party at the door with the tank in front, went up to talk with him with my main character then immediately pulled back, threw some aoe in the direction of the approaching enemy group. Was a really easy fight that way

btw, the 2nd level rolling fireball spell apparently bounces in tight corridors which almost wiped my party :eek:

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
ohhhhh
+1 con boots!
right on my main char.

So I'm having a lot of loading/crashing issues at the Raedic Keep. It seems like it's whenever I try to load the outside world. I click the door, I get the quick loading screen, and then it just goes blank. I still have my cursor and I still hear music, but it's forever black. Going out to Windows I see it's not responding.

Artanisix

"So I'm having a lot of loading/crashing issues at the Raedic Keep. It seems like it's whenever I try to load the outside world. I click the door, I get the quick loading screen, and then it just goes blank. I still have my cursor and I still hear music, but it's forever black. Going out to Windows I see it's not responding."

This is, unfortunately, a common bug. The devs said the earliest they can fix it is next week. If you're getting the bug, there is nothing you can do except wait until next week, reroll, or use a save from before entering Raedric's Hold.

Durante

you only needed to initiate the dialogue with one character. Placed a trap, positioned my party at the door with the tank in front, went up to talk with him with my main character then immediately pulled back, threw some aoe in the direction of the approaching enemy group. Was a really easy fight that way

btw, the 2nd level rolling fireball spell apparently bounces in tight corridors which almost wiped my party :eek:
I didn't dare learn that one because it says that it bounces in the description and I really couldn't see how you can ever reliably control such a thing :p

"So I'm having a lot of loading/crashing issues at the Raedic Keep. It seems like it's whenever I try to load the outside world. I click the door, I get the quick loading screen, and then it just goes blank. I still have my cursor and I still hear music, but it's forever black. Going out to Windows I see it's not responding."

This is, unfortunately, a common bug. The devs said the earliest they can fix it is next week. If you're getting the bug, there is nothing you can do except wait until next week, reroll, or use a save from before entering Raedric's Hold.

Sigh. I'll wait. There's no way I'm redoing all this Keep. The final battle was f'ing epic.
I burned pretty much all my resources while fighting it, all of my companions were slowly, one by one, dropping to the floor. And then it came down to the final two, Raedric and my main character, who is a Hunter that had to switch to his backup weapons. Mano e mano. Both were near death, each blow seemed like it took an eternity to complete. But in the end Raedric the tyrant fell. My hero bringing new hope and prosperity to the land. It was glorious.

I love those guys, but Obsidian gonna Obsidian I guess. Bummer I have to put this game on hold.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!

Found this on the Obsidian forums.. you wont lose Achievement progress.. worth a shot:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/72016-raedrics-hold-game-crash/page-5
set92, on 27 Mar 2015 - 11:26 AM, said:

Temporal solution that work it for me.

We will need 7zip or some program for open the savefiles.

1. Open 7zip and go to C:\Users\USERNAME\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity in 7zip

2. Open your savefile inside 7zip, in my case 49c623f3-dc4c-4eb7-be78-4e5f14755a5c quicksave.savegame, and delete all the files with Raedric in its name.

3. Open Pillars of Eternity and enjoy.

The only problem with this is that you lose all your progress with this zone, you will have all the fog of war....Maybe this is a exploit to discover the maps over and over again to get the exp? I didn't try this yet.

Cheers this works great, also If you don't want to redo all the areas I think you only need to delete the area that you can't access:

Int_02 - Top Floor with the clerics

Int_01 - Main floor where Raedric is.

Int_03 - Dungeon

Ext - Outside

Violet_0

Banned
I didn't dare learn that one because it says that it bounces in the description and I really don't couldn't see how you can ever reliably control such a thing :p

I should probably start reading the spell description more carefully next time

if they haven't changed it from the beta the spell should still have a ridicules range, several screens long

hemtae

So for anyone else that's finished Act 1, I'm curious what your party's reputation is currently at.

Mine is:
Clever:1
Rational: 1
Deceptive: 1
Or, in other words, a smorgasbord. (I'd make a terrible Paladin)

This was with Show Personality/Reputation off, by the way.

Benevolent 2
Diplomatic 2
Clever 1
Rational 1

With the tags turned off. Pretty much just my attempts to get out of combat.
I also liked how the lady in the GAF inn mentioned how I was nice and was unlikely to get people killed.

V_Arnold

This game has no major negatives.
It does not have any.

I mean, fights get repetitive? They do not.
Graphics? Absolutely gorgeous, especially later on.
Quests, story? The morality present in this game is years ahead of anything else on the market presently. (Especially the faux-morality games of Bioware).
Content? Do not even get me started.
Balance? Yeah, cipher might be a tad too powerful. They feel like the whole story was written for them, btw. But that can easily be fixed via a patch. Like do not allow focus restoration between fights, and slightly nerf mind blades, and that is it :D
Length? Nope, nothing to be critical of on this part either.

This game has it all.
I was afraid that the Stronghold would not be organically connected to the main game, and even that was not a problem, since it *did* tie to the story. Eh.

Did I lose my critical googles somewhere, or is this game pretty much a frontrunner for GOTY-2015, regardless of what comes later on? (Okay, it can duel with Torment if it makes it in nov-dec..)

Alrus

I wish there was an option to automatically create a save file after each successful fight... Forgot to save after clearing most of a map and got massacred by a group of lions (interesting ecology there). I have to start all over :(

I didn't dare learn that one because it says that it bounces in the description and I really couldn't see how you can ever reliably control such a thing :p
Well I didn't pay attention to the bouncing part and used it in the
Raedric
fight, it ended up destroying nearly all his guards. Was quite fun but yeah this is like the lightning spell from bg it can horribly backfire in closed spaces.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Is there any kind of set bonus for having all of the
Fulvano
gear equipped?

Durante

Is there any kind of set bonus for having all of the
Fulvano
gear equipped?
I also wonder if there's anything more to that. With all the scattered pieces, journals and letters it's the most involved "unofficial" (non-tracked) quest I've encountered so far.

54-46!

Anyone else having trouble binding some controls to specific buttons? I can't bind the Area map or Interactive objects (hold) to Left Alt for some reason.

Firebrand

"I'll pick Normal. I'm pro."

*main character immediately gets knocked down and and KOd in second encounter*

Do people get on their feet on their own, or do I have to click until they do? Also, if one guy gets engaged, my tank joins in, it's still unsafe for the first guy to leave, right?

Noaloha

Anyone else having trouble binding some controls to specific buttons? I can't bind the Area map or Interactive objects (hold) to Left Alt for some reason.
Left-alt is definitely a bit fickle with its bindings; some stuff has worked for me and a lot of other has not.

Onyar

I'm really enjoying the game but there is an issue with the cage cursor option. Even when the option is on, it seems after some combat or pause the cursor unlocks from the window game and until some other combat this stays unlocked. I have two screens and this issue is kind of annoying, I hope they will fix soon this or find another way to let the cursor remaining inside the window.

Shepard

I wish there was an option to resume normal game speed after the battle is over, would help. 8 hours in and I just finished
the underground temple in the vale
. Battle is very strategic and dynamic, you can't just order everyone to attack a single target and keep your healers/mages on the back, you have to keep an eye on everyone and move them accordingly, really exciting.

Durante

"I'll pick Normal. I'm pro."

*main character immediately gets knocked down and and KOd in second encounter*

Do people get on their feet on their own, or do I have to click until they do? Also, if one guy gets engaged, my tank joins in, it's still unsafe for the first guy to leave, right?
Characters get up on their own. Also, the circle under each character tells you if they are currently engaged in melee. There's a great image of that somewhere out there but I can't find it right now.

Taruranto

These chanter buffs seem a lil too powerful...

I know I'll get flanked for this, but BG1-style "wild" connection-areas really aren't my cup of tea. Disliked them then, dislike them now. My favorite part of the IE games was running around towns lol.
I was crushed when I found out the bridge to not-Athkatla was unavailable.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So, just to make sure, there are times in the conversation where randomly lines just aren't recorded, right? And its not some glitch causing them to not to play?

Gaz_RB

These chanter buffs seem a lil too powerful...

I know I'll get flanked for this, but BG1-style "wild" connection-areas really aren't my cup of tea. Disliked them then, dislike them now. My favorite part of the IE games was running around towns lol.
I was crushed when I found out the bridge to not-Athkatla was unavailable.

yeah,
I was like, "Oh, I'm headed straight for Defiance Bay!"
:(

Shahadan

I'm really scared to start the game :lol:

Either I'll hate it or I'm gonna be swallowed and next thing I know it's two days later.
Oh well. This kind of combat system never clicked for me somehow, and always makes me give up real quick. Hoping this time something good happens so I can finally appreciate baldur's gate and stuff like that afterwards.

Taruranto

I love those guys, but Obsidian gonna Obsidian I guess. Bummer I have to put this game on hold.

It's hardly an Obsidian thing, bugs in these kind of games are unavailable. People have been patching BG2 even after the official patches finished. There are just too many scripts/variables, even with accurate beta-testing.

If anything the game is pretty stable compared to recent "RPG" releases like Skyrim and DAI, despite being much more complex.

Salsa

its friday and I dont wanna go out with my friends

36045d1371724973t-gjamy.png

Durante

I know I'll get flanked for this, but BG1-style "wild" connection-areas really aren't my cup of tea
I won't flank you I'll fight you head on.

A good balance between open area exploration, cities and dungeons is ideal, and I think from what I've seen so far PoE has just that. I'm sure Josh Sawyer would agree.

I also wonder if there's anything more to that. With all the scattered pieces, journals and letters it's the most involved "unofficial" (non-tracked) quest I've encountered so far.

It seems that some of his journal pages were bugged for me. They combined in the inventory and three different pages stacked and became three copies of the same entry.

Violet_0

Banned
I have no idea if it is intentional but I'm pretty sure I just got a
relationship
quest at the Gaf Inn

also, we have probably one of the creepiest NPC memories in the game

Thanks for the replies on end of Act 1 party reputation. It's very interesting to see where y'all are at.
It seems that some of his journal pages were bugged for me. They combined in the inventory and three different pages stacked and became three copies of the same entry.

I almost mentioned that. The same thing happened to me.

Bit of a bummer because those were the only notes I really wanted to keep track of thus far.

Top Bottom