• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pitchfork Media: The 50 Best Albums of 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
giga said:
I like fleet foxes, but bon iver's album was better.

He self-released that album last year, which is why it's not on this year's list. It was #29 on their list for 2007 (which is where I first heard about it).

Kevtones

PowderedToast said:
OK here's my end of year list, guys.

1. Grouper - Dragging A Dead Deer Up A Hill

That's the only record I've heard all year that I've enjoyed enough to remember. I don't pay much attention to new releases, one because it's difficult, and two because there's so much music that I still haven't heard that I don't have time for new stuff. It's also nice to discover relatively new releases by myself, oblivious of the hype attached to them. I dislike Pitchfork because it's bad writing. They basically encompass everything I dislike about the music journalism; the awful trends, hype trains, endless hyperboles etc.

Cynical much? At least you chose a good record.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
I love Grouper's album, but 2008 had a ridiculous amount of good-to-great music. I have a list of well over 100 releases I heard this year that were quality.

WTFing

Banned
21. Kanye West - 808s and Heartbreak
13. Erykah Badu - New Amerykah Part One (4th World War)
11. Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III
2. Portishead - Third
That's the only names I know from this list, but I didn't listened to any of those LPs :lol . Maybe I need to stop listening to my old same tracks. I'll try to listen to the Portishead's and Badu's albums soon.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
PhoenixDark said:
Considering both are shitty albums you'll get no complaints from me
808s & Heartbreak is probably the best album that Kanye has made.

Anyway Shitfork's list was predictable as ever, the top 10 was pretty zzzz. List has no Boris or Pidgeon or Foul Mouth Cringe so it's pretty much missing the best shit from the year. Once again.

J-Rzez

After looking at that list, and thinking about the songs that hit this year... what an abysmal year in music. Probably the worst in recent years.

nitewulf

Kevtones said:
Cynical much? At least you chose a good record.
why do you guys like this stuff that much...its pretty atmospheric music, but she is mumbling around. i heard one track only i admit, is the album any different? modern dream-pop seems pretty boring to me for some reason.

nitewulf

Lambtron said:

Anyway Shitfork's list was predictable as ever, the top 10 was pretty zzzz. List has no Boris or Pidgeon or Foul Mouth Cringe so it's pretty much missing the best shit from the year. Once again.
yuo dont liek cut/copy u suck!!11111

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
J-Rzez said:
After looking at that list, and thinking about the songs that hit this year... what an abysmal year in music. Probably the worst in recent years.
Nah. Tons of awesome albums this year, just like basically every other year. If you think a year is "abysmal" in music you obviously are doing it wrong.

nitewulf said:
yuo dont liek cut/copy u suck!!11111
TOTAL.

Kevtones

Lambtron said:

Thanks for reminding me to snag Pidgeon. Personally, I was more interested in this Kanye record than his rest, but it didn't click for me, at all.

nitewulf said:
why do you guys like this stuff that much...its pretty atmospheric music, but she is mumbling around. i heard one track only i admit, is the album any different? modern dream-pop seems pretty boring to me for some reason.

Did you like the Atlas Sound record? How about High places? Grouper hit me at the right time, I was having health problems and it was subdued bliss for the time.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Calcaneus said:
That would probably be true if he hadn't made College Dropout, Late Registration and Graduation before it.
Dropout & Registration are both ruined by the insane amount of momentum breaking shitty skits. Graduation was a piece of shit from beginning to end. This was a good album. Album = the whole, not just several tracks.

White Man

Lambtron said:
Dropout & Registration are both ruined by the insane amount of momentum breaking shitty skits. Graduation was a piece of shit from beginning to end. This was a good album. Album = the whole, not just several tracks.

I still legitimately do not understand rap's ongoing obsession with the skit. I understand that the basically got popular because of the ones in the early 90s (right?), but they haven't had jack shit for quality in at least a decade, if not longer.

Calcaneus said:
That would probably be true if he hadn't made College Dropout, Late Registration and Graduation before it.

Lambtron said:

If removing the skits because you don't like them makes the album not whole and therefore not worthy, that's pathetic.

Are you saying that there isn't one bad song on 808s and Heartbreak? Not even Pinocchio Story?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
roosters93 said:
.If removing the skits because you don't like them makes the album not whole and therefore not worthy, that's pathetic.

Are you saying that there isn't one bad song on 808s and Heartbreak? Not even Pinocchio Story?
"Pinocchio Story" sucks (but it's listed as a tacked on bonus track, just how it feels), as does the "RoboCop" outro. But even then, there was like 4 good songs on Dropout. Registration is maaayyybe 3/4 good outside of the skits. Kanye is a mediocre MC at his very best, and it's not like these are two "stone cold classics" outside of the production. 808s is solid throughout, and a really good, listenable album.

White Man said:
I still legitimately do not understand rap's ongoing obsession with the skit. I understand that the basically got popular because of the ones in the early 90s (right?), but they haven't had jack shit for quality in at least a decade, if not longer.
There really hasn't been a good skit since "The $20 Sack Pyramid" on The Chronic. That was like 17 years ago now.

I know Sky Blue Sky disappointed a bunch of people (I grew to absolutely love it) but Pitchfork can forever eat a dick for referring to Wilco as 'Dad Rock'.

People saying the Fleet Foxes album is boring after listening to Blue Ridge Mountains have no taste in music.

There, I said it. >:/

mamacint said:
I know Sky Blue Sky disappointed a bunch of people (I grew to absolutely love it) but Pitchfork can forever eat a dick for referring to Wilco as 'Dad Rock'.

Sky Blue Sky is amazing, and I agree, any music site that calls Wilco 'Dad Rock' is not to be trusted.

Flynn

White Man said:

The Prince Paul stuff sort of originated the trend. He still manages to make funny stuff -- the Handsome Boy Modeling School bits especially. Anybody who gives Father Guido Sarducci work is fine in my book.

Dabanton

ZephyrFate said:
People saying the Fleet Foxes album is boring after listening to Blue Ridge Mountains have no taste in music.

Pretty much. The album is brilliant listened to it all year and it's still fresh.

As for the rest of the list pretty solid all round good to see Lindstrøm and Vivian Girls on their.

Lambtron said:
"Pinocchio Story" sucks (but it's listed as a tacked on bonus track, just how it feels), as does the "RoboCop" outro. But even then, there was like 4 good songs on Dropout. Registration is maaayyybe 3/4 good outside of the skits. Kanye is a mediocre MC at his very best, and it's not like these are two "stone cold classics" outside of the production. 808s is solid throughout, and a really good, listenable album.

There really hasn't been a good skit since "The $20 Sack Pyramid" on The Chronic. That was like 17 years ago now.

I agree, Graduation is a whole album of mediocrity but I think 808s still has a lot of weak lyrics. I've only given it a few listens so far though.

Mifune

Mehmber
The Stand-Ins is the first Okkervil album that I didn't love.

It's not bad but it's nowhere near my Top 10.

EDIT: Going to see Will solo tonight though...can't wait!

I agree with most of the top 20. My list in a small magazine I write for was this:

1. Microcastle by Deerhunter
2. Nouns by No Age
3. Fleet Foxes by Fleet Foxes
4. Weird Era Cont. by Deerhunter
5. Dear Science, by TV on The Radio
6. The Common Chemistry of Life by Fucked Up
7. Fuck Buttons- Street Horrising
8. Portishead- Third
9. The Walkmen- You & Me
10. Gang Gang Dance- Saint Dymphna
11. Portishead- Third
12. Ponytail- Ice Cream Spiritual
13. Atlas Sound- Let The Blind Lead Those Who Can See But Cannot Feel
14. Animal Collective- Water Curses EP
15. Vivian Girls- Vivian Girls
16. Cut Copy- In Ghost Colours
17. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds- Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!
18. Black Mountain- In The Future
19. Crystal Castles- Crystal Castles
20. Portishead- Third

ZephyrFate said:
Portishead three times?

It's a very bad joke.

Here's the real list:
1. Microcastle by Deerhunter
2. Nouns by No Age
3. Fleet Foxes by Fleet Foxes
4. Weird Era Cont. by Deerhunter
5. Dear Science, by TV on The Radio
6. The Common Chemistry of Life by Fucked Up
7. Fuck Buttons- Street Horrising
8. Portishead- Third
9. The Walkmen- You & Me
10. Gang Gang Dance- Saint Dymphna
11. Stereolab- Chemical Chords
12. Ponytail- Ice Cream Spiritual
13. Atlas Sound- Let The Blind Lead Those Who Can See But Cannot Feel
14. Animal Collective- Water Curses EP
15. Vivian Girls- Vivian Girls
16. Cut Copy- In Ghost Colours
17. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds- Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!
18. Black Mountain- In The Future
19. Crystal Castles- Crystal Castles
20. Stephen Malkmus- Real Emotional Trash

White Man

Did I miss it, or was there no Man Man on there? Rabbit Habits was my most listened to record of the year. Well, of the records released this year. My most listened to album of the past year was probably actually Replicas by Tubeway Army/Gary Numan. On vinyl.

Shaneus

Kitsuné said:
Are you serious? :lol
I mean, Apocalypso isn't that bad, but it definately isn't top 50-worthy.
I know they can kick some ass live, but their album isn't half as solid as In Ghost Colours is.
Oh, I'm deadly fucking serious. Cut Copy's brand of music is imo incredibly generic and flat, and doesn't do much to differentiate itself from the other new-wave artists that are around at the moment (Juggernauts etc.).

The Presets however, are doing something that's different and incomparable to anyone else before them... CC, on the other hand, I could roll off about 5 or 6 acts from the last 25 years that they were clearly inspired by and didn't do much to improve on.

There's a reason why The Presets scooped the ARIA awards this year!

Code:
15. Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles

To think I was the only one who had ever heard of them. Well done Crystal Castles, well done

Flynn

White Man said:
Did I miss it, or was there no Man Man on there? Rabbit Habits was my most listened to record of the year. Well, of the records released this year. My most listened to album of the past year was probably actually Replicas by Tubeway Army/Gary Numan. On vinyl.

Seems like Pitchfork fell out of love with them. I doesn't help that the record came out really early in the year.

theBishop

Banned
GG-Duo said:
What'd you guys think of At Mount Zoomer?

The first half is solid, although less charming than the debut. The 2nd half is aimless, but hints at possible new directions for a (hopefully stronger) followup. I get the sense that Spencer Krug's heart is now firmly with Sunset Rubdown. While Krug songs were highlights on Apologies, Dan Boeckner shines this time.

Oh, and I agree with the poster saying WTF @ no Rabbits Habbits. Top 20 material for sure.

theBishop

Banned
ZephyrFate said:

I really like what they've done this year. I just hope they don't follow The Shins to schmaltzville on subsequent albums.

PS: is it just me, or is The Protector getting overlooked as the LP's gem?

segarr

Oozer3993 said:
Why are so many critics fawning over "The Carter III?" It's a bad album. It has Bobby Valentino parroting the sound of a siren for crissakes. I'd expect that from Raffi but not from a legitimate rapper.

What I can't understand is how this album is received so well when it didn't even impress his fanbase.

I mean, before this album dropped, Wayne was a big figure in hiphop, but he hadn't really released that album that really solidified him as a straight up star (Especially if you consider his earlier, bling bling career to be separate from the stuff he did after The Carter). For the most part, it seemed that there was people that either A) Hated Wayne, considering him to be the epitome of everything bad in rap, or B) Those who loved his wordplay and bit on every single line....you know, the type of people that look at each other and smile when they hear "Damn, rest in peace Apollo Creed/I'm a monster, everyday is Halloween"......people in A still dislike him, but I don't know a single person in group B that was any way at all impressed with this. The fanbase that Wayne built with Drought 3 and Dedication 2, was at best, just slightly amused by C3.

I was a fan of his mixtape stuff, even though he was one dimensional at times, and even though he recycled concepts and lines too much, I felt that he was genuinely clever and enjoyable at times (It's practically fucking impossible not to listen to this guy if you hang out with certain circles in college), but this album was just so...generic. I just don't understand what was better about his album then David Banners or Young Jeezy's or any other mainstream rapper...maybe a bit more polished, but nothing extraordinary. I was highly let down, especially after "3-Peat" started the album off sounding as though I was actually about to get a album version of the Wayne I enjoyed...instead I got fucking Valentino and Thicke on the same record...:lol

Anyways, I really need to start listening to more music. I need to stop listening to the same albums every fucking day. There is SOOO much out there that I know I would enjoy but I just miss out on because I'm too lazy to put on a record that I'm not acquainted with yet. My potential "wait list" of albums is probably in the hundreds. I also have a bunch of stuff I just haven't listened to yet.

Gonna check out the Air France and TV on the Radio album. I have "Third" by Portishead but have yet to give it the attention it deserves...need to pop that in as well.

Lambtron said:
20tms6u.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom