• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pixar’s Inside Out |OT| Quirks in Navigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really enjoyed it. It's definitely a return to form for Pixar.

However, I kind of feel that it hedged a bit, and wasn't quite as ambitious as I was hoping. On one hand, I kind of like the intimacy of it, but I wish they had dug a bit deeper, thematically speaking.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
It was decent but it doesn't rank up there with the godly Wall-e, Up, Incredibles or Ratatouille. I'd say it was a solid 7/10. It was better than Cars and Brave, while being on equal footing with Nemo and Monster's Inc. All other Pixar films are better imo. I absolutely hated Sadness and Anger especially though maybe I was meant to. Didn't care much for Disgust and Fear but I loved Joy and
Bing Bong
. The movie just gave me insight into how dumb most 12 year olds are especially the end but maybe I was just wise beyond my years. What kid would do that with the world we live in today. But hey suspension of disbelief and all that.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
I'm still shocked you guys thought Bing Bong was awesome - he made the movie during his tenure suck...highly disliked him.

That
abstract portion of Riley's mind was pretty dope
and that was a direct result of Bing Bong

The Lamp

Lava bored me. I'm sure this makes me a terrible person.

No. Considering you have a Johan avatar, I know your taste in story is good (I, too, am a Monster fan).

I also didn't like Lava. Not only was the story boring, the song repetitive and corny, but it took steps that made no sense in order to progress its simple, pointless plot.

Bing Bong was great.

What was so memorable about him besides his
last words
?

In fact, he was weird and confusing.
why was he so damn sketchy when we first meet him, like running away and stuff
?

Lava's primary weakness is that it's too damn talky for a Pixar short.

I mean, it's a very cute song and all, but the short ultimately lacks the subtlety of Pixar's best shorts - most of which are almost completely free of speech.

kris.

Banned
The other two people I went with thought Lava was awful. I liked it. It was cute. Inside Out was fantastic.

Choomp

Banned
OHh man I almost forgot about Lava again! Now my excitement is doubled for whenever I go see the movie this week.

Maybe it's because I was exhausted having just flown in to the city the same day I watched Inside Out, but I found Lava to be very charming and cute. I was surprised to see all the negative reactions on here.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Maybe it's because I was exhausted having just flown in to the city the same day I watched Inside Out, but I found Lava to be very charming and cute. I was surprised to see all the negative reactions on here.

I didn't think it was bad, but between Pixar and Disney's recent short films, it seems like the romance angle has been overused recently.

Paperman
Feast
Blue Umbrella
Lava

MajorMane

Caught this as the early morning special at my theater the other day and it's probably my favorite Pixar movie since Up.

The basic idea behind this movie is so weird, yet Pixar makes it a lot of fun. The story was fun while also pretty damn emotional. It's a movie that little kids will like - colorful, fun - but I think the real audience lies in those parents and others watching the movie. Such a great movie.

As for Lava, I really enjoyed it. Even if it's one of the "lesser" Pixar shorts, it's still really damn good. I loved the song (spoilers follow that URL, obviously) and honestly thought it was going to end on a sad note. Not as good as the chess one or the bird one, but memorable for me.

Kevinroc

I really liked this movie. It shouldn't be a surprise that it was a very emotional film, but I was surprised at how emotional it actually was.

Christopher

Yeah when I saw Lava I was bracing myself from all of you going well here it comes...and it was cute and short I was like god damn GAF...

Mike M

Nick N
Lava was incredibly underwhelming, but I really hate musical numbers in movies, and that's all that this one was.

Inside Out, though, I thought was fantastic. Definitely top-tier for me, if not my favorite Pixar movie ever. Loved the visuals, and they did a great job pulling off a high concept movie.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm still shocked you guys thought Bing Bong was awesome - he made the movie during his tenure suck...highly disliked him.
My thoughts on him:

I thought he was kind of annoying and sounded like Peter from family guy. I also thought his design was kind of creepy. I'd rather deal with that clown than him.

I also thought his song was silly and annoying.

...and yet with all that, I somehow cried a little when he sacrificed himself. I guess the associations and meaning of that moment were enough for me even without loving the character.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
When I first saw Bing Bong, I groaned, because I was absolutely positive that
he would turn into the villain.
and then that didn't happen, they could've played this movie so much safer with the characters and material available and they chose not to. Not to mention
so many tears when he was like "Come on, I think we'll do it this time" followed by Joy's realization that he's gone. That entire scene where she cries man, super sad.

Smoolio

It was a interesting concept that I feel was hampered by a light subject matter, as an adult looking back I had a few moments like the one in the film and I wouldn't rate them in the 20 most emotional moments of my youth. The fact that she generally had amazing parents by comparison to most actually made me lose a little sympathy, but I guess it was just inaccurate expectations I set for the film after one of the trailers.

The core themes that were revealed in Bing Bongs big moments and the resolution were themes I felt Toy Story already covered.

Also I feel like the film had a case of the not gays, starting with Larva then the
boyfriends, boybands and the kid that dropped his spaghetti.
I mean sure its a kids movie and as my avatar can attest I might be off the deep end, but watching this after pitch perfect 2 with it's forced romances where also queer relationships are played for laughs
Inside out had its bear joke and maybe canadian boyfriends are considered a beard sometimes.

But overall I was throughly entertained the whole time and even if it didn't hit the emotional highs for me as UP and some other Pixar movies it still it is a great addition to the Pixar catalogue.

IronChef

Banned
As someone with a keen interest in psychology, human behavior, and cognitive science, I had high hopes going into this movie. Alas, my background was what precisely prevented me from really enjoying it. I kept trying to attach movie scenes to actual mental / brain phenomenon, concepts, and functions; that was not a successful endeavor.

I know, I know, this is suppose to be a kid/family-friendly movie, and plot is king, so I can't expect everything to make sense or even be self-cohorent within the world that the writers created. Still, it was hard to avoid making mental critiques like "that's not how that works" or "if you could that, then why not do this?" etc.

But I did managed to get swayed by the "reveal" or the message at the end of movie.

The best parts of the movie by far was the scenes inside of the other character's heads, including the end-credits scene. Really wished the movie would have done more of that. The movie would have worked better as a comedy than a semi-serious portrayal of a person's inner thoughts. Would have made the lapses in logic much easier to gloss over.

Shaanyboi

Banned
One detail kinda stuck with me and I'm curious about the writers' intent, but why in every scene in another character's head were all the emotions' genders uniform? In the mom, it was all women. In the dad, all dudes, and same for other characters. Was it just an easy shortcut to make that gag work? Was it because her having not hit puberty, she hasn't really figured out her own gender identity yet? Or was it something else like potentially a business reason?

Anyway, got back from it and I liked it alot. Best Pixar movie since Ratatouille.

Blues1990

One detail kinda stuck with me and I'm curious about the writers' intent, but why in every scene in another character's head were all the emotions' genders uniform?
It was specifically about the kid not hitting puberty just yet, though I do like the idea of her not knowing her gender identity.

Also, it was interesting to see that Riley's mum had sadness in the captain's seat, while her father had anger leading the show.

Shadownet

Banned
Bing Bong was great. You guys are heartless.

Wish I had an imaginary friend as a kid.

Probably one of the best animates movie I've seen. Hit me on so many emotional levels.

About Bing Bong:

When Joy was crying, Bing Bong was standing near her but he was totally silent, and the camera was focusing on Joy for so long, that I thought they were going to have Bing Bong silently disappear from the rest of the film without even Joy remembering him. Kind of like a "continuity error" but on purpose.

Struct09

The wife and I went to this only knowing that it was the new Pixar movie and we both really enjoyed it. It stands out as one of the more unique movies I've seen recently, well done Pixar!

Sponge

Banned
I watched this last night and I loved it. I had read online before going to see this that people cried during this movie. I believed it because the same thing happened with Toy Story. I didn't cry at that film, but
near the end when Riley is in tears and misses home, that got me. I had lost my house in fire two years ago and I miss my town so much. This scene really hit home with me.
Also,
Bing Bong was my favorite character in this film. I had thought he was gonna be another Lotso, but he was unexpectedly a very pleasant character.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Saw this yesterday with my family (wife, 12 girl, 10 boy, 5 boy). We all enjoyed it. That's not an easy thing to do. I thought is was very clever and delt with surprisingly mature themes.

Jeff-DSA

We went on Saturday. I took my wife and two kids (6 and 2) and we all enjoyed it thoroughly. My kids enjoyed it just for the whole action/slapstick/goofy dialog angle, and my wife and I enjoyed it for those reasons and for its deeper meanings. Our 6-year old boy just finished kindergarten and he went through a lot of anxiety with that. It gave him a bunch of mood swings, some fear, and some adapting to push through. A lot of what went on in this movie really hit home for us.

And man, hating on Bing Bong is just not right, guys.

Who's your friend who likes to play?

Bing Bong, Bing Bong

His rocket makes you want to yell hooray

Bing Bong, Bing Bong

Who's the best at every way, and wants to sing this song to say?

Take her to the moon for me, okay?

kingocfs

Bing Bong, Bing Bong

Bing Bong, Bing Bong

giphy.gif

Osahi

oh man the ending credit, cat is truth lol lol lol

That really cracked me up, loud.

Was nice after all those (VERY MANLY, MIND YOU) tears I got flowing few minutes earlier. Man, this film just hit all the feels... I had the same watching Toy Story 3 end. Seems like stories about dealing with growing up and loosing innocense really hit me. And Pixar has a way to make it really resonate...

This movie was actually too tense for me to fully enjoy. I can't quite explain why.

Somehow, the idea of this wonderful happy girl's personality
literally crumbling before our eyes, as the characters were powerless to do anything about it...
it was stressful.

I will say, this movie was hilarious pretty much start to finish, minus the emotional parts.
Every time the Triple Dent gum commercial started up, the entire theater laughed.

Bing Bong, Bing Bong

Bing Bong, Bing Bong

That reminded me of the amazing game To The Moon. If you guys like great stories, I recommend you play it at some point. It didn't require much skill at all if you're not really into games.

My chest seized up during
Bing Bong's sacrifice.
I mean, you could totally tell it was coming. The whole time I was shaking and heaving and trying to hold it all in. Fiancee was heartless.

Also, does anyone here remember Drop Dead Fred?

Lorcain

I enjoyed the movie much more than my kids did. I was really surprised by how deep it was. My kids liked the spectacle of it all, but they were probably too young to feel the message.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
It was alright.

I thought the emotional undercurrent was usually drowned out by the mechanical 'get to point X!' stuff. The action adventure elements weren't well directed or interesting enough to deserve screen time precedence over further developing Riley's emotional trajectory in the real world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom