• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pixar’s Inside Out |OT| Quirks in Navigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope not, Peanuts looks too good to be snubbed best animated; can't have this get best pic nomination, without it also winning bets animated, because the academy is dumb like that.

And guys, it's Triple-dent Gum; get it right!

Okay, I'll bite
what is sadness for
?

Sadness is a precursor to joy when it draws the people you love closer to you in sympathy.

Also, Peanuts looks terrible with a completely unecessary animation style.

And did Charles Schultz actually write this movie because they're certainly acting like it.

This is a wonderful movie. Easily top tier Pixar (at least a top 5 movie, maybe top 3)

This movie is basically the first 10 minutes of up stretched out through the entire movie.

The casting was perfect, but Lewis Black was my favorite as Anger.

Few minor complaints, but nothing to detract from the overall movie.

Everyone see it.

Up is still my favorite Pixar movie, but this is definitely near the top.

HUELEN10

Sadness is a precursor to joy when it draws the people you love closer to you in sympathy.
In the movie though, other emotions and thoughts can feel that, so is there a point to the character? That I'm still deciding for myself.
Also, Peanuts looks terrible with a completely unecessary animation style.

And did Charles Schultz actually write this movie because they're certainly acting like it.
His son did, and his grandson plumped it up; it truly is Peanuts by Schultz.

His son did, and his grandson plumped it up; it truly is Peanuts by Schultz.

Who decided it should look like that, though? I can't get over how bad it looks. It shows nothing of the story so it could in fact turn out great, but, why isn't just a gorgeous, highest tech available 2d masterpiece rendering of schultz's style?

This or DOPE this weekend?
c7NJRa2.gif

Just came out of this one.

I thought it was right on the cursp of my top tier Pixar films, but its a very strong movie overall. Original, clever, beautiful, often funny, and thoroughly human and empathic. It actually sticks its landing about "sadness is just as important as joy" lesson without moralizing or stating it out loud, just a really great sequence there at the end. There's a the big travelogue stuff in the middle like a lot of Pixar films, but its the smart kind of story structure that sets them all up and pays off later. Things you think are one-off gags because big plot points later off. The story is "Because of ___, this happen, and because of ____, that happen", and not "and then this wacky thing, and then this wacky thing, and then this wacky thing". There is a key difference.

Michael Giacchino is the MVP here, that son of a bitch made me choke up 3 times in this thing.

And, since this is mandatory for every Pixar comment, the Pixar inequality ranking. Judge away friends!

Wall-E > Toy Story 2 > The Incredibles > Ratatouille > Toy Story > Toy Story 3 > Inside Out > Finding Nemo > Monster's Inc > Up > Cars > A Bug's Life > Monster's University > Brave > Cars 2

and that Lava short was TERRIBLE. Maudlin annoying crapsicle. Come in late so you miss that one.

Appleman

Original, and that Lava short was TERRIBLE. Maudlin annoying crapsicle. Come in late so you miss that one.

Yep, I usually love the Pixar shorts (blue umbrella was absolutely amazing) but I thought his one fell flat. Beautiful animation but I thought the song (which the short kind of hinged on) was absolutely terrible.

zeioIIDX

I want to take my 6 year old daughter to see this but I do not feel like crying in a movie theater lol. I learned my lesson with Big Hero 6.

Edit: Oh and Toy Story 3. But I was with my girlfriend during that and we both just about cried at the climax and the very end. Way too many nostalgic feels.

Sean

Banned
Wow, this movie was fantastic. Best movie of the year and easily a top 3 Pixar film imo.

If you somehow manage to make it though the entire film without crying and/or tearing up, you have no soul.

One thing I don't understand is,
why didn't they put the core memories up the tube the workers were sending long term memories (like the gum commercial)?

HUELEN10

One thing I don't understand is,
why didn't they put the core memories up the tube the workers were sensing long term memories (like the gum commercial)?
Because joy didn't want to take a chance
sadness touching them made things worse, why take chances with the classy trio?

Had a hell of a time watching it today; our theater kept having trouble getting the movie to play. They played the first preview after a ten minute delay, but that stuttered to a halt on the first movie (an animated movie I didn't catch the title of). After another five minutes they just started with Lava instead, which also got stuck around a quarter way through. I was this close to leaving outright and getting a refund. Thankfully they were able to play the rest of Lava and the movie without any trouble. They never had this kind of trouble before, so I don't know what happened.

Anyway, great movie. I didn't get teary eyed myself, but that's probably just me.

At the screening I was at, it started without sound so we were watching the Star Wars teaser muted (I probably could've quoted the whole thing). They eventually fixed and restarted it.

Maybe I'm just getting sentimental as I get older but I did feel pretty sad at points (
the Bing Bong sacrifice, the ending when Riley returns home

Just have one minor quibble:
why is Riley the only one with feelings of mixed gender and size? Her mom, dad, cat, etc. are just recolours. I guess it's just a narrative device and I'm overthinking it.

Blizzard

Banned
Who decided it should look like that, though? I can't get over how bad it looks. It shows nothing of the story so it could in fact turn out great, but, why isn't just a gorgeous, highest tech available 2d masterpiece rendering of schultz's style?
I feel it's a little off-topic for me to comment on it in this thread, but I wanted to at least say I (and several other people as far as I can tell) like the way they did the Peanuts animation. And I say that as someone who grew up reading Peanuts, even the original tiny comics where Snoopy looked different and didn't think word balloons. The mix of 3D animation and 2D outlines and 2D facial expressions is really unique.

yep, I need to watch this movie again lol
I probably misremembered the line, maybe "Congratulations, San Francisco..."

and that Lava short was TERRIBLE. Maudlin annoying crapsicle. Come in late so you miss that one.
I simply can't recommend skipping the short. Someone MAY think it's terrible, but judging from the reactions in this very thread, opinions are very mixed. Some people will love it and some will hate it, and I don't think it would be nice of me if I convinced the people who would love it to not see it.

I cried a few times.
When Sadness talks to Bing Bong
When Riley breaks down
From laughter at the cat thoughts. Literal tears.
I think I had tears from laughing at the third one. The credits were hilarious.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Wow, this movie was fantastic. Best movie of the year and easily a top 3 Pixar film imo.

If you somehow manage to make it though the entire film without crying and/or tearing up, you have no soul.

I have no soul

Not

Banned
Hope there are no spoilers in here. Just wanted to say:

ARGHHH why are there always 4-5 buttholes on Rotten Tomatoes who don't like unanimously-acclaimed movies

OK, see y'all after I've seen the movie

PsychBat!

Banned

ARGHHH why are there always 4-5 buttholes on Rotten Tomatoes who don't like unanimously-acclaimed movies

Bring water so you can re-hydrate.

B33

Banned
Just have one minor quibble:
why is Riley the only one with feelings of mixed gender and size? Her mom, dad, cat, etc. are just recolours. I guess it's just a narrative device and I'm overthinking it.

My guess is that it's a narrative device and possibly because
Riley hadn't experienced puberty yet.

I thought this was pretty boring. No laughs whatsoever, and I don't think it's clever either. It's a by the numbers as a movie inside a child's brain could be. Over reliant on emotional manipulation, from moment one they are trying to make you cry. Hopefully time will be harsh to this one once the shine wears off. And the short was one of the worst things Pixar has ever done IMO.

If you didn't like the terrible trailer, like me, trust your instincts and avoid this.

Who cares if someone else doesn't like it? They're allowed.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Lava might be their best short ever. Cohesive, well-paced, jaw-dropping visually, a catchy song, and original subject matter.

Inside Out wasn't bad. The secondary emotions were underwritten and I felt like it dragged a bit in the middle where the emotions were forced into the visually uninteresting labyrinth of memories. Could have done with less time as Riley. And as a coming of age story I felt like it trod territory well worn by Toy Story. The opening 15 or 20 minutes were excellent and really imaginative, and I did enjoy the abstract world. The theme was nice despite an otherwise dull score. Better than Brave, Monsters U or non-Pixar low-tier stuff like Wreck-it Ralph but not really an instant classic in my mind.

Liked that Riley played hockey.

Edit: Trailer-wise we had a trailer for Pan, which looked super low-rent. Zootopia looks awful. The Good Dinosaur will be great, though.

It's as by the numbers as a movie inside a child's brain could be.

How "by the numbers" is any kid's brain, though? You're saying this as if it's a foregone conclusion that a film about a 12 year-old girl's emotions can only go the one way. Which is especially weird considering I think this is the first time anyone's actually tried to do this.

How "by the numbers" is any kid's brain, though? You're saying this as if it's a foregone conclusion that a film about a 12 year-old girl's emotions can only go the one way. Which is especially weird considering I think this is the first time anyone's actually tried to do this.

No, I'm saying it went in the most by the numbers direction it could have. I just didn't feel any sort of spark to it whatsoever.

ivysaur12

Banned
No, I'm saying it went in the most by the numbers direction it could have. I just didn't feel any sort of spark to it whatsoever.

The most by the numbers move it could've taken would be to have an antagonist. You're welcome to dislike a film, but it had a very unconventional structure for a PG movie.

Arguing otherwise would be very difficult.

I'd argue that the movie had many chances to make an easy and safe direction and did not take it, and the film is better for it.

Minyobi

Okay, so I saw the movie a few hours ago. It's pretty damn good.
The way some were going on about crying, I was expecting an hour and a half of a baby seal getting clubbed.
Thankfully it wasn't that kind of movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom