• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pixar’s Inside Out |OT| Quirks in Navigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got out.

SEE this movie. Seriously. It's just so creative and full of depth, one of those movies that everyone can appreciate in some way. I seriously pity anyone who looks the other way because they think it's a "kid's movie".

I was honestly blown away, and want to say this was my favorite Pixar movie but Toy Story edges out. Definitely a top 3, though.

The movie is about emotions though, and you will be taken for a ride. I teared up several times even after trying to steel myself beforehand.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
For people who saw the credits sequence,
The director does not like cats. He jokingly talked about cats when we asked him about it during an early screening.

UberTag

The most by the numbers move it could've taken would be to have an antagonist. You're welcome to dislike a film, but it had a very unconventional structure for a PG movie.

Arguing otherwise would be very difficult.

I'd argue that the movie had many chances to make an easy and safe direction and did not take it, and the film is better for it.
Your sentiments mirror my take from when I screened this last weekend.

I kept expecting the film to take cheap outs like
having the parents divorce or have Bing Bong serve the villain role by sabotaging Joy and Sadness from returning to HQ so friendless Riley would welcome him back into her life
but the film resisted doing this at every opportunity.

Instead we get a film about
emotional growth and maturity where Riley's emotions become more complex and recognise that human interactions are shaped by more than mere one-dimensional black and white responses. I equate the destruction of the various islands (Goofball, Friendship, Hockey, Honesty, etc.) as Riley losing her emotional baby teeth.

NightOnyx

Just saw it and I really loved it. It's super creative, cute, and emotional. It's basically Pixar doing what they do best. It's still fun and humorous, but has a great heart and a very relatable story. I highly recommend it.

I will say though that the pre-movie short was not my favorite. It was sort of cute and the song was nice I guess, but it just didn't grab me like so many of the other Pixar shorts do. It might have just been my high expectations, but I just like it was okay and nothing more.

My theater was packed though which was nice to see. What impressed me the most though is that the line waiting to get into the Jurassic World IMAX 3D showing was very long. Just as big as it was opening night. That movie is huge! Still though, I hope Inside/Out isn't hurt too bad by it because it deserves to make big money like the best Pixar movies have.

Watched it today with my friends. We were the only two mid 20s guys by themselves in the theater but we gave no fucks. Movie was great. Had heart, a nice message to it, and the comedy sections were incredibly high.

The end credits sequence was fucking amazing. Everything had me laughing like an idiot.

The pre-movie short would've been better/funnier if it had ended on a depressing note imho. Just dark humor.

Magwik

Banned
Your sentiments mirror my take from when I screened this last weekend.
The strange thing about bing bong is that it seems like they were almost setting him up to be an antagonist and either dropped it or just threw in a red herring or two.

Leeness

So good.

Hit pretty hard...
I remember moving at 12 and thinking about running away and everything changed and was miserable so...while I never got on a bus,
I felt for Riley.

Beautiful film, though.

Also, love cats, but HAHAHAHAHA at the cat in the credits omg.

Griegite

still a junior
This was quite an experience for me. I would be crying one moment and laughing the next at some points in the film!

Also bought the score on iTunes. Can't stop listening to it...

sn00zer

Wow..... wow

Easily the most powerful moments are the moments that are left unsaid, like the fact the mom has depression, or the loss of lands at the time in the girls life.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Just saw it, probably my favorite Pixar film since Rattatouille.

I think it was amusing that
sadness appeared to be the primary driver for the mom whenever we saw inside her head

sgjackson

pixar's abstraction of emotional depth and depression was profound in a way i'd never expect a movie aimed at children to be. fuckin a this movie fucked me up good. if you're on the fence, jump off and go see it.

the abstract thought sequence was one of the coolest things i've ever seen in a movie.

as my homeboy rafiki once said, "the king has returned."

Wow..... wow

Easily the most powerful moments are the moments that are left unsaid, like the fact the mom has depression, or the loss of lands at the time in the girls life.

I wouldn't go that far

The emotions of post-puberty individuals seem to largely coexist together and have more mellow personalities. Notice how not every joy was ecstatic all the time. What probably happened is that the mom at an early point in her life was sad most of the time or had to deal with sad events so sadness was the leader

Griegite

still a junior
Any favorites? I'm just listening to it now.

-Bundle of Joy
-First Day of School
-We can Still Stop Her
-Tears of Joy
-Joy Turns to Sadness / A Growing Personality
-The Joy of Credits

I guess my favorites are from the beginning and towards the end but I still enjoy cues like Chasing the Pink Elephant too. But those are my favorites after listening so far...

Lnkn52

I totally enjoyed the movie. Laugh out loud and close to tearing up. Really like the balance of emotions it was trying to potray.

Also,the short animation Lava was fabulous.

ivysaur12

Banned
I wouldn't go that far

The emotions of post-puberty individuals seem to largely coexist together and have more mellow personalities. Notice how not every joy was ecstatic all the time. What probably happened is that the mom at an early point in her life was sad most of the time or had to deal with sad events so sadness was the leader

You'd be sad too if you had to
leave the helicopter pilot.

ivysaur12

Banned
She killed it

Here was a great interview with her that went up today:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jarettwieselman/inside-out-scene-stealer-phyllis-smith-as-sadness

For much of her life, Smith made her living as a professional dancer — including a stint as a cheerleader for the St. Louis Cardinals football team. “My love for dance was so strong,” she said, passion pulsing in her voice. But a knee injury at 37 forced Smith to abandon her first love. “I remember thinking, This is never going to be like it was again, and I decided I wasn’t going to be one of those dancers that would try to hang on and make myself crazy. If I wasn’t going to be able to dance professionally, I wasn’t going to dance. That’s my all-or nothing personality coming out.”

“Creatively, I have a new lease on life,” she added. “I feel like I’m an ordinary person, but I’ve had extraordinary opportunities in my latter life and I never saw any of it coming. I never saw The Office coming, I never saw Inside Out coming, and I just feel grateful and thankful to have these opportunities and to have an actual real enthusiasm in my life. This is a new career for me and I intend to do it as long as people want to hire me. I really feel that I’m just beginning.”

B33

Banned
Just saw it, probably my favorite Pixar film since Rattatouille.

I think it was amusing that
sadness appeared to be the primary driver for the mom whenever we saw inside her head

I noticed that, as well!
Anger appeared to be the primary driver inside Riley's dad's head.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I wouldn't go that far

What probably happened is that the mom at an early point in her life was sad most of the time or had to deal with sad events so sadness was the leader

I also noticed that the dad's emotional leader was anger, which interested me in a gender studies kind of way.

B33

Banned
I love that
all five emotions in the brain of the dog agreed that they needed to pursue the guy with food, whereas the cat just acted inexplicably scared because none of its emotions aside from Fear were paying the control panel any mind.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
It was probably just a jab at men vs women in a relationship but hey it could be more

I would like to think that Pixar put more thought into it than that. :D

I love that
all five emotions in the brain of the dog agreed that they needed to pursue the guy with food, whereas the cat just acted inexplicably scared because none of its emotions aside from Fear were paying the control panel any mind.

Yeah, the cat bit was great.

Jarmel

Banned
Didn't like this.

Found it to be way too basic. The art direction felt especially subpar aside from the abstract sequence.

Afrodium

Banned
I thought this movie was amazing. The only thing that would have made it better would be if there wasn't a goddamn baby crying and cooing for the entire film in my theater. I know it's a children's movie but at least wait until your baby has developed motor skills before taking it to a 9:00 show on opening night. Your kid should be in bed. You're bad parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom