• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pixar’s Inside Out |OT| Quirks in Navigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

GtwoK

This movie was really fantastic, enjoyed it a bunch. So many relatable moments throughout the movie, something that helped me really connect with it, I guess.

I had read a lot of initial previews / reviews / whatever that claimed the movie dealt a lot with mental illness. I didn't even see a hint of that in the movie though. Kind of disappointing, was really excited for a Pixar movie that might help "humanize" the concept of mental illness to mass audiences, but still a great movie none-the-less!

I'm curious how well it's going to do though. Went to the 7pm showing opening night, and there were only 6 people in the audience, including us :/. Really really surprised me.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Just got back! Absolutely loved it, my kids really loved it too. Bing Bong was definitely my favorite character.

I was a goddamn mess during the scene where Bing Bong jumps out of the Rocket Wagon so Joy could make back to HQ. That shit had me in legit tears lol. Love you Bing Bong, you da real mvp
tumblr_no3ezlZcCt1urf1kao1_500.gif

a916

Wow, Pixar definitely back up their old tricks... absolutely loved this movie and all the charm it had.

Not going to rank it in the pantheon of amazing Pixar films because it's too early, but it's a damn good movie.

I need to get me one of those Anger toys though

bebop242

Lava- good message, but humanizing volcanos just didn't work for us. My wife, son and I were holding back laughter at the absurdity of it all.

Inside Out- interesting concept but
the drawn out "we're almost back to HQ! Oh no! a another setback!" was tiring.

Would be fantastic if they made a sequel that addressed mental illness which could possibly help the stigma of it.

Overall a middling movie, but Pixar's best since TS3.

Cautiously optimistic to see this, especially as I haven't enjoyed any of Pixar's post Toy Story 3 work. Hoping its genuinely good, but I have a voice in my mind telling me it's only reviewing well because it's not distinctly mediocre like the last string of Pixar's work.

This movie was amazing, its tied to Mad Max (two so insanely opposite movies lol) as my personal best of 2015. I got teary eyed 2 times and just straight up cried one time. Goddamnit Pixar why are you so good at pulling my heartstrings? D:

I just loved the concept and how they ilustrated a lot of things that are normally so abstract. I also loved Riley since i instantly connected with her, such a likeable protagonist. The score also shone at particular times like all the
running away sequence
- that song left me on the edge of my seat and legitimately worrying about what was going to happen, making me momentarily forget my more racional side that knew this was going to end up well.

Cant quite rate it yet since its still too fresh but i think its going to end up in my Top 3 of Pixar's movies.

frontovik

Banned
Just came back from a screening. I loved it! It's definitely a charming film that explores various themes about growing up as a child. The
reunion
scene at the
end
was a real tear-jerker. No glaring flaws comes to mind, though I felt that
Sadness was definitely annoying as a deadweight character halfway through the film.
The dream scene when the
emotions tried to wake Riley up
was hilarious.

I'm definitely going to watch it again. I'd say it's ranked with Ratatouille as my favourite Pixar films.

I also want to say that the Lava short-film was really cringeworthy and a disappointment compared to Paperman.

I liked that
the family didn't go back to Minnesota at the end. I was prepared for them to go back but it would have been a real cop-out.

Ok, just saw it.

GAF, the hype is real; The King is indeed back (at least I hope so, watch The Good Dinosaur suck, lol)

Quick thoughts:

+Lots of funny and emotional moments (shocking, I know)
+Relatively original concept for an animated movie (Herman's Head comparisons are warranted, but Pixar's vision is just so much better realized and far more fun)
+Inventive as fuck... some of the best world building and characterization in years
+Voice acting was superb
+Best credit sequence ever

-It looked good, but not particularly great aside from
the abstract thought scene
-Info heavy at times, but the delivery is so great it's a very minor complaint
-Ending was predictable, but I still teared up a tiny bit even though I knew what was coming

Other observations:

~I feel that this is a better "family movie" than "kid's movie." I heard about the same amount of laughter from kids and adults. It was pretty obvious that many of the jokes and gags were supposed to go over the kids' heads. This is neither a positive nor a negative, IMO.

~
The human side of the story
wasn't anything special. That said, I feel that it didn't need to be. It was made obvious from the very beginning that this was
Joy's and Sadness's story.
Anything else would have distracted from that.

~I didn't lava the short, but I certainly enjoyed it. It's certainly no Partysaurus Rex, Day & Night, or The Blue Umbrella.

So yeah, I'm not going to rank this movie just yet; I think I will sleep on it some more. I'm already planning a rewatch next week, so we'll see what happens.

Best animated movie since Toy Story 3 by far, though.

PK Gaming

Just came back from seeing this. It was terrific, the perfect blend of comedy, joy and genuine sadness. I actually came close to crying at least twice, which almost never happens.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I must be the only one who really enjoyed "Brave". Not Pixar's best, but seeing people put it below Cars, that's just wrong.

A children's movie with
a moral about how sadness is essential and that losing joy and wonder is an integral part of growing up
is considered safe?

I wanna put up a quick questionnaire for people who thought the movie was "rote".

1. Is this movie about a yellow girl's adventure to get back into a big tower?

If the answer is "yes", you didn't get the movie.

Saw this movie right before Jurassic World. It was absolutely amazing; the art direction was spot-on, the animation was great. Loved the story and the jokes (that gum gag and the facts/opinions joke had me cracking up).

Hope this performs well at the box office so they continue original endeavors.

Was everyone else relieved that
Bing Bong did not turn out to be a villain? I had my eyes ready to roll for when he was shown to be upset he was being forgotten, but they fortunately went the other direction.

Loved this movie. The Pixar Charm was in full effect. Nearly brought me to tears twice.

Will see it again and going to get the Blu-ray.

9/10

Bing Bong did not turn out to be a villain? I had my eyes ready to roll for when he was shown to be upset he was being forgotten, but they fortunately went the other direction.
This was spoiled for me by a friend, so I knew not to expect that.

For sure I didn't expect what we did get. And it destroyed me ;_;

Lnkn52

how sad is this movie? I was thinking of taking my wife on a date to see it tonight but I keep hearing people say that it's really emotional if you're a parent but me and my wife have been having difficulty becoming parents for years so sometimes my wife can get emotional about things that have to do with kids
Not a date type of movie. Even if you don't cry, just the crying of other patrons in the theatre might do it for some.

The more I think about this movie, the more I realize its a perfect metaphor for the subconscious.
Stuff like the train of thought crashing down when Riley ran away was perfect.

You can say its drawn out due the the "setbacks" of them trying to get back to HQ but I disagree because each "setback" was perfectly integrated into how Riley was feeling.
The whole time Riley was trying to suppress sadness because she wanted to be happy for her father, which ultimately led her to being depressed and losing who she was or the core memory islands.
When you watch the movie you have to realize literally everything is a metaphor to what is happening with Riley.

ckohler

Saw it this morning. I liked it. I wouldn't say I LOVED it but I did like it a lot. They probably went a little too far with the exposition at the start, probably for the younger viewers, but there were definitely enough references and humor only for the adult viewers. Hypocritically, I ALSO think they did a a great job of showing the workings of the mind in such detail and how all the different facets worked together:
subconscious, dreams, lost memories, long term memory, personality, etc.
The whole concept was really well thought out, no pun intended.

At first I was skeptical of every person having the same four emotion characters and yet the mom and dad had single gender versions that looked like them where as Riley had a generic, mixed gender set but in hindsight this makes a lot of sense.
It shows that she hasn't really grown enough to identify with her gender yet, as well as grown enough that her emotions take on her unique identity.
Subtle concepts like that were great.

On the other hand, I left confused as to how the
Train of Thought
fits into things. Also, they kinda/sorta explained
the purpose of Sadness
but I wasn't completely certain what they were trying to say. Surprising, considering it's the entire focus of the story and so many other lesser details about how the mind works were explained with such clarity.

I found myself surprisingly teary eyed
during the ending when she returned home
. I liked that scene a lot. Also,
I liked that each year they install a new console with more buttons. Very clever. Really brings new meaning to the phrase, 'you're really pushing my buttons!'
Finally, the best gag was
the gum commercial memory constantly coming back.
Really funny.

I totally appreciate the originality and care put into this new world Pixar created. My biggest complaint is that there weren't really much in the way of surprises or revelations. Less than half way through I figured out how the entire chain of events would play out. Still, that doesn't change the fact that it's a fun movie to watch. I kinda want to see it again but maybe I'll wait until video.

Edit: As for Lava, I didn't care for it. Probably my least favorite Pixar short ever. Made worse by the sappy ending that cut to almost pure quiet during the credits which was extremely awkward in the theatre filled with little kids.

AniHawk

the dreamworks version of inside out
has a smirking bing bong on the poster in the background, behind the cast of emotions in a sort of v formation while they're all smirking with their arms crossed. in the movie, joy is sarcastic and cool and is always rolling her eyes at sadness (while smirking). joy and sadness are separated from the rest of the emotions somehow and they wind up meeting bing bong who says he can get them back home. but he steals the core memories in a bid to make all of the core memories about him so he and riley can be friends forever. joy and sadness team up and are able to defeat bing bong by throwing him into the memory dump, and they overcome their differences with the power of friendship. riley's story is about how she's grounded or whatever.

mcw

I fucking loved this movie so fucking much.

Two things that I think probably contributed to my enjoying it as much as I did:
1. I'm a parent
2. I'm a writer

To that second point: When I originally heard about the concept for this movie it sounded like a nightmare scenario. Writing a movie about emotions that evokes real emotions in its audience while also being funny and entertaining for audiences of all ages-- no thanks; I can't think of a way to do that without a disastrous outcome.

I read Ed Catmull's book and it touches on the insane difficulty that Pete Docter had putting this story together in a workable fashion. What I just watched, though, did everything it set out to do and made it look easy. I'm absolutely awestruck by how well-written this movie is, to say nothing of the visuals.

LegendX48

Debating whether or not to rewatch this with my older brother again tomorrow but I'm thinking we'll likely go lol
watch me miss the first 20 minutes of the movie again >.>

also, since others have already kinda chimed in on Lava I also wanna say that the short was kinda so-so. The animation and such was pretty good but the short itself was meh to me. Then again I was kinda busy trying to hold it throughout the entire thing so maybe it'll be different on a re-watch >.>

It was necessary though.

Not really, but Joy thought it was.
She thought Sadness was corrupting Riley's memories. In reality, Sadness was just making them more complex and accurate by showing the sadness from her happy memories from Minnesota, which is a natural emotional reaction tied to nostalgia that Joy couldn't comprehend.

It wasn't disturbing, per say, but
it was probably the shittiest thing that Joy did to Sadness in the movie

I fucking loved this movie so fucking much.

Two things that I think probably contributed to my enjoying it as much as I did:
1. I'm a parent
2. I'm a writer

To that second point: When I originally heard about the concept for this movie it sounded like a nightmare scenario. Writing a movie about emotions that evokes real emotions in its audience while also being funny and entertaining for audiences of all ages-- no thanks; I can't think of a way to do that without a disastrous outcome.

I read Ed Catmull's book and it touches on the insane difficulty that Pete Docter had putting this story together in a workable fashion. What I just watched, though, did everything it set out to do and made it look easy. I'm absolutely awestruck by how well-written this movie is, to say nothing of the visuals.

Hadnt thought about it that way. I'm no writer but now that you mention it this does seem like something extremely difficult to actually pull it off. I would say Docter nailed it

I love all the pot shots it took at San Francisco. Shitty housing, stank-ass hipster pizzas, and "there's a lot of bears in San Francisco" (not a "pot shot" but I'm willing to say one of the more "adult" double entendre Pixar has put in its movies)

The movie is also packed with detail. When peering into the adults' brains, all the emotions are at the helm and they all speak to each other in collaboration. Riley's brain had all the emotions fighting over taking the tiny helm, and they couldn't ever do anything in tandem. It reflects how kids actions are almost entirely driven by singular intense feelings, one at a time. Then she grows older and the console is expanded to show a literal growth in the range of emotions that can "drive" at once. Adult emotions also are very similar to each other, whereas Riley's emotions are very poignant and distinct, much like how children experience far higher "highs" and much lower "lows".

Just got back! Absolutely loved it, my kids really loved it too. Bing Bong was definitely my favorite character.

I was a goddamn mess during the scene where Bing Bong jumps out of the Rocket Wagon so Joy could make back to HQ. That shit had me in legit tears lol. Love you Bing Bong, you da real mvp
Yeah.
Some asshole in the theater was definitely cutting onions at his final scene. The whole theater got dead quiet when he hopped out, and when he faded there was a decent chunk of audible sniffling from everyone
I liked that
the family didn't go back to Minnesota at the end. I was prepared for them to go back but it would have been a real cop-out.
I'm right there with you. Another one I'm impressed with
they didn't bring Bing Bong back

mcw

I love all the pot shots it took at San Francisco. Shitty housing, stank-ass hipster pizzas, and "there's a lot of bears in San Francisco" (not a "pot shot" but I'm willing to say one of the more "adult" double entendre Pixar has put in its movies)

I live in the Bay Area, and saw this movie with my wife, who sold real estate around here for a couple years. In the movie, when Riley's family arrives at their new house, she turned to me and said, "That looks like it cost about $4 million".

Honestly, it's probably more than that.

Jarmel

Banned
I live in the Bay Area, and saw this movie with my wife, who sold real estate around here for a couple years. In the movie, when Riley's family arrives at their new house, she turned to me and said, "That looks like it cost about $4 million".

Honestly, it's probably more than that.

Dad was moving up in the world.

Loved it.
Take her to the moon for me...;(

Also, anyone else really want to see Pixar movies at 48fps.

Anyone else is a bit disturbed that
Joy tried to abandon Sadness when she got into that tube
?

I thought that fit with (and was a logical conclusion to) how she treated Sadness throughout the movie till that point. Joy is still just an emotion of a 12 year old girl.

On the other hand, I left confused as to how the
Train of Thought
fits into things. Also, they kinda/sorta explained
the purpose of Sadness
but I wasn't completely certain what they were trying to say. Surprising, considering it's the entire focus of the story and so many other lesser details about how the mind works were explained with such clarity.

I kind of saw that as
The Train of Thought indicating rational thinking. The emotions got the rational thoughts delivered and acted on them. e.g., the train contained such things compartmentalised Facts and Opinions. When she decides to run away in a fit of anger, the Train stops running completely. I saw that as indicating that she wasn't thinking rationally anymore.

For the Sadness part, I thought that was indicated by joy turning (rewinding) one of those memory spheres. At the start of the movie, she just replays small parts of it by swiping at it. But when she turns far back into a happy memory later in the movie, she sees that it was blue to start with.

Blizzard

Banned
Considering the love and hate expressed for Lava, it was kind of surreal to go hang out with some friends tonight (some of them Hawaiians) who dance hula and play ukulele...and who were practicing the Lava song without having seen the rest of the movie.

Anustart

Dunno why anyone would think bing bong would turn out to be a villain. Never even had a suspicion that might happen.

Also didn't care much for lava. But inside out was perfection.

HoJu

Dunno why anyone would think bing bong would turn out to be a villain. Never even had a suspicion that might happen.
Also didn't care much for lava. But inside out was perfection.

you should probably spoiler that. but i thought he would be with the whole shortcut thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom