• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pixar’s Inside Out |OT| Quirks in Navigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought this movie was amazing. The only thing that would have made it better would be if there wasn't a goddamn baby crying and cooing for the entire film in my theater. I know it's a children's movie but at least wait until your baby has developed motor skills before taking it to a 9:00 show on opening night. Your kid should be in bed. You're bad parents.
I went to Alamo drafthouse and it was packed with little kids. But funny enough it was the most well behaved children ever. Even with children alamo ftw

Jarmel

Banned
Basic? Well... that's one way to put it.

I've been sitting in the parking lot thinking about it and yea it feels rote. I don't think they did anything really interesting with the premise and just when the movie starts getting interesting, it's over.

Maybe if the running away sequence had been expanded or the other emotions had been used in a more interesting fashion, I might have been more into the premise. However as it stands I just thought it was flat and went over a lot of the same material as Toy Story.

I don't think it's bad but the first 2/3rds almost had me yawning. The trip component by the two emotions felt half-baked.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I thought this movie was amazing. The only thing that would have made it better would be if there wasn't a goddamn baby crying and cooing for the entire film in my theater. I know it's a children's movie but at least wait until your baby has developed motor skills before taking it to a 9:00 show on opening night. Your kid should be in bed. You're bad parents.

If it was an infant, they sleep every 2 or 3 hours, getting them to bed doesn't mean anything. When they're knocked out, they sleep through pretty much everything.

They probably thought the baby would slept through the whole thing and mistimed it completely. They should've taken the kid out and caught the next screening instead from what it sounds like though.

Shocked this movie has such a high rating on Rotten Tomatoes. I had not interest in this movie but saw it because of its acclaim. Turns out it was just average overall. Couple of funny one liners
"Forget it Jake, It's Cloud Town" had rolling
and one one
Death that meant something
but overall it felt safe.

The film did a lot of the small stuff right though. The emotions, their voices and look were all charming. Characters animated well to their personalities. It had a lot of smart pinch points to it as well. It's just that it never goes out of it's way. For something with such a high rating I was expecting something more. Good example of how expectations can lead to let down even if he movie is good.

Sean

Banned
Current estimates have this as Pixar's second-best domestic opening of all time.

Inside Out is winning over minds and hearts at the North American box office, while Jurassic World continues to devour one record after another.

Pixar's animated dive into the emotions of an 11-year-old girl is exceeding expectations to likely hit $84 million in its domestic debut, despite competition from Jurassic World, now in its second weekend.

If estimates hold, Inside Out will score the best showing for a Pixar title outside of Toy Story 3, which opened to $110.3 million and had the benefit of being part of a beloved franchise. Not to mention that Inside Out is going up against monster Jurassic World, which could earn as much as $108 million in its second outing — the best sophmore gross of all time and beating the $103 million earned by The Avengers in its second weekend.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Amazing movie. Top 3 Pixar movies of all time for me. But maybe its because I'm a parent? This movie actually made me genuinely think about how I interact with my daughter going forward. Cried so many times. Fucking fantastic.

Afrodium

Banned
Shocked this movie has such a high rating on Rotten Tomatoes. I had not interest in this movie but saw it because of its acclaim. Turns out it was just average overall. Couple of funny one liners
"Forget it Jake, It's Cloud Town" had rolling
and one one
Death that meant something
but overall it felt safe.

The film did a lot of the small stuff right though. The emotions, their voices and look were all charming. Characters animated well to their personalities. It had a lot of smart pinch points to it as well. It's just that it never goes out of it's way. For something with such a high rating I was expecting something more. Good example of how expectations can lead to let down even if he movie is good.

A children's movie with
a moral about how sadness is essential and that losing joy and wonder is an integral part of growing up
is considered safe?

ivysaur12

Banned
I've been sitting in the parking lot thinking about it and yea it feels rote. I don't think they did anything really interesting with the premise and just when the movie starts getting interesting, it's over.

Maybe if the running away sequence had been expanded or the other emotions had been used in a more interesting fashion, I might have been more into the premise. However as it stands I just thought it was flat and went over a lot of the same material as Toy Story.

I don't think it's bad but the first 2/3rds almost had me yawning. The trip component by the two emotions felt half-baked.

How is any PG movie with no discernable antagonist rote? I thought it lagged a bit in the middle, but the structure of the film was extremely unconventional. If you didn't think it worked, fine, but rote would never be a word I'd use to describe it, since it seems Docter went out of his way to avoid a safe and conventional version of events.

I think there were parts where the landing didn't stick, but the entire last half of the movie was a beautiful culmination of the world created beforehand. I thought it dealt with those particular themes with the same gravitas as Toy Story. And Toy Story (especially 3) had the benefit of multiple movies for those characters.

Jarmel

Banned
How is any PG movie with no discernable antagonist rote? I thought it lagged a bit in the middle, but the structure of the film was extremely unconventional. If you didn't think it worked, fine, but rote would never be a word I'd use to describe it, since it seems Docter went out of his way to avoid a safe and conventional version of events.

I think there were parts where the landing didn't stick, but the entire last half of the movie was a beautiful culmination of the world created beforehand. I thought it dealt with those particular themes with the same gravitas as Toy Story. And Toy Story (especially 3) had the benefit of multiple movies for those characters.

I just felt like they went through the motions. Joy and Sadness's relationship was pretty boring throughout the film and it was fairly obvious that Sadness was necessary just as much as Joy.
Of course Joy was twisting the memories so they were happy hence anytime Sadness touched them, they reverted back to their proper state.
The two didn't have an interesting dynamic and the other emotions other than Rage weren't particularly entertaining either.

Yea there are no villains nor has this premise really been done before but I wouldn't say they elevated the core ideas through execution.

Truly great film. Complex themes that really resonated with me, and I hope it did for others as well. I didn't even notice the lack of antagonist, which definitely makes it stand out even more in the kids film arena. Was crying at a couple parts

Already want to see it again

A children's movie with
a moral about how sadness is essential and that losing joy and wonder is an integral part of growing up
is considered safe?

Yeah. It's super safe. What did you think at the end
All Emotions weren't going to get along and find out they all need each other? Come on.
If
everyone getting along and everyone's important
theme isn't safe I dunno what is.

Toothless

Absolutely loved it. The humor worked perfectly with Anger's newspapers and the more blatant humor. The scene with
the dream productions and Fear's commentary on it
was also top notch. Where the film really exceeds though is (surprise, surprise) the emotional aspects. I was sobbing on and off the entire last 30 minutes of the film.
To be honest, I've always wanted something like Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends but more serious; the idea of moving on from an imaginary friend is the perfect symbolic milestone of growing up and putting aside past innocence. Inside Out gave me back that when I was least expecting it; as soon as Bing Bong shows up, you can guess he's a goner in some sense. No way he is making it back to Headquarters, but you worry subtly that he might become a villain. The exact opposite happens and he ends up being the character who cares about Riley's well-being and happiness more than anyone else. When he sings with Joy one last time, you know exactly what's going to happen but that doesn't make it less soul-crushing.

The other stuff near the end also wrecked me with Riley's reuniting with her parents and the ensuing memories being shown and even beforehand with Joy realizing how sadness is needed for joy to flourish, but nothing topped the wow of Docter's handling of Bing Bong. I'm sure other people here will write more on it, but yeah. Bing Bong is amazing and
the film is amazing.

legend166

All Emotions weren't going to get along and find out they all need each other? Come on.
If

Basically you wanted the ending to be Riley having a mental illness?

Toxi

Banned
Holy shit, this was really good. Really, really, really good. As someone who had the classic emotional period moving as a kid, the movie's portrayals of those emotions was spot-on.

Toothless

Also, I liked Lava even though I totally understand why some people might not like it. Still, it was the best Pixar short since Presto for me. Charming if not groundbreaking.

Just got out and not quite sure how I feel about it. Although it was a great movie, I don't see it dethroning any of the elite Pixar movies. I don't think this movie is better than any of the TSs, Nemo, Up, Incredibles, or Ratatouille.

Obviously, it has stiff competition and that's not a knock to the movie in any way. Still, the middle portion of the movie felt very flat and I felt the movie's most interesting aspects were all crammed in the end.

AniHawk

i really liked it. it's definitely a return to form for pixar after about 6 years of unhappiness.

it actually reminds me a lot of toy story or monster's inc. there's just a lot of world building involved. things like forgetting memories, imaginary friends, core memories, and abstract thought (mindblowing segment) were just bits and pieces that made an already interesting idea even more fascinating. it was also a treat going inside other people's heads and seeing how they thought, especially as it became even more unexpected, like with the dog and the cat.

the film's biggest weakness was
the real world being so superficial. i mean, i dig how they actually nailed how gross san francisco actually is in a lot of places, but taking out the emotions and just looking at the human storyline, it's a girl who moves away from home, gets pissed and decides to run away. it's been done to death and it wasn't particularly interesting or engaging. however, i say that it's okay because there's ample room for a sequel, and i think that a lot of the world building is out of the way so riley can develop more as a character.
overall though, good stuff. wonderful main theme too.

If

But...they're not independent characters.
They're emotions, aspects of someone's personality. This isn't "let's sing kumbaya and all hold hands" it's "you need sadness, disgust, fear, and anger to get through life with a healthy perspective".

Went with my bro and our kids. Fun movie with some good scenes but overall, a bit disappointing. Agree with a lot of the points here about a majority of the movie feeling somewhat flat, which is very rare for even the lesser Pixar films. There was little reaction from our theater during most of the movie. Just not as much audience engagement as you would expect from a family flick like this.

Without question, my favorite bits involved the camera jumping into "the heads" of the other characters. From the parents/Riley during the dinner table scene to the end credits, all of those moments were fantastic. I thought that concept was very clever. Otherwise, I thought the premise was wobbly - it just didn't resonate as much as I wanted or expected. As others have said, interactions with Joy and Sadness were overall pretty weak for me too. Bing Bong was okay though.

I kinda liked Lava.

Dragoshi1

I did not like this movie, and I've seen everything Pixar's put out until now.

It was just boring, I was falling asleep at multiple moments. That bold claim concerning the first 10 minutes of Up and this movie being entirely like those 10 minutes was dead wrong, Up still brought me to tears a lot easier and sooner than this, even Wall-E and TS3 did too.

There's no reason to be sad anywhere, to me, except for
the Imaginary Friend's fate
. And I saw that coming as soon as that scene and the prior one rolled in.

Also, that scene with them all at the dining table. It was heavily foreshadowed that
Sadness is an important emotion, when it zoomed into the Mom's head, it showed Sadness at the center. And she was taking initiative and was mostly in charge.

Overall, doesn't even make my top 5, and I think it's my least favorite Pixar movie yet. I'm really hoping the Good Dinosaur is going to be good, you can't really mess up Dinosaurs.

Bentendo

Wall-E > Toy Story 2 > The Incredibles > Ratatouille > Toy Story > Toy Story 3 > Inside Out > Finding Nemo > Monster's Inc > Up > Cars > A Bug's Life > Monster's University > Brave > Cars 2

Wall-E > Up > Finding Nemo > The Incredibles > Toy Story 3 > Inside Out > Ratatouille > Toy Story 2 > Toy Story > Monster's University > Monster's Inc. > A Bug's Life > Brave > Cars > Cars 2

But I love them all!

lachesis

Gold Member
Amazing movie. Top 3 Pixar movies of all time for me. But maybe its because I'm a parent? This movie actually made me genuinely think about how I interact with my daughter going forward. Cried so many times. Fucking fantastic.

Feel the same! Having one child (8yr old daughter) made the film much more relatable, definitely.

pantsmith

Not a bad movie by any means, but I was disappointed that the core plot was as formulaic as it was. 75% of the movie is basically the Candy Kingdom from Wreck-It-Ralph with a neuroscience coat of paint (which is really fucking cool, I dont want to diminish that).

The other 25% was an excellent film. I got misty a couple times throughout just because it touches on so much of what it means to grow up and be human. Some things it got very right:

- it was neat seeing everyone else's brains in action, and the subtle differences between them. I also really appreciated Peter Sagal's brief cameo!

- her imaginary friend was about as archetypical as possible, but his scene where he helps Joy was simply perfect.

- the moral (and tone) of the film was up there with Pixar's best, and Id like to think it will not only help some kids grow up understanding its okay to feel a range of emotions and change as they get older, but also get them interested (and compassionate!) about brain chemistry

That said, I thought the last scene of the movie suffered from talking us through what was happening. We as an audience already know what is happening, all of the visual cues have been established (so well!) and its pretty clear what things are leading up to. I was annoyed they fell back on dialogue.

This is the same company that gave us the opening of Up, and the dance sequence from Wall-E. They can convey a huge range of emotion through their animation - its actually the biggest testament to their skill when they do. Was really bummed by how much talking there was. Contrast that scene with Joys skating scene and its not like they dont know how :(

Review: not their best (best three are Up, Wall-E and Ratatouille), but certainly really good!

egruntz

shelaughz
Was anyone else both disappointed and please with the opening short? I didn't like it much, but the tune stuck in my head. The dog is still the best one.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
It was good but I wish there was more really inventive animation like in the abstract thought chamber.

UberTag

Was anyone else both disappointed and please with the opening short? I didn't like it much, but the tune stuck in my head. The dog is still the best one.
Something doesn't have to be good to get rooted in your subconscious and not leave.

The Lava song.
The Tripledent gum commercial jingle.
Hell, I'm forever tormented by the Marineland theme song and I haven't been there in roughly two decades.

Saw it yesterday, it was good but I don't know where all this hype came from. I felt it's one of those movies that ends up not really being a kids movie but not an adults movie and it just feels weird. I thought the same about the Lego movie.

Toothless

Something doesn't have to be good to get rooted in your subconscious and not leave.

The Lava song.
The Tripledent gum commercial jingle.
Hell, I'm forever tormented by the Marineland theme song and I haven't been there in roughly two decades.

But the Bing Bong song is stuck in my head, and that was pretty decent D:

Well, after that I went from thinking the characters in Disney Infinity as well as getting a playset was a waste of space to nearly being the most excited for them.

red13th

I cried so much sometimes it was hard to see what was going on. I do cry a lot at movies though... glad I saw this one by myself. :p
Just amazing, my Pixar top 3 now is a top 4 (Ratatouille, Inside Out, Up and Wall-E).

Just got back from seeing this with my daughter. Really liked it and I def had some tears towards the end of the movie. Also Lava was just an amazing short. Great visuals and I loved the song.

daveo42

Banned
Saw this Thursday night and I enjoyed it, regardless of some of its pacing issues and dialogue choices.

This movie was insanely wordy, weighing down the middle of the film to try and cover a ton of concepts so that children and adults could better comprehend. Almost all of that was within Riley's head space to help telegraph what was going on in her life. It almost doesn't work because of how they front-load (or at least try) this info to set up the final third of the film. It felt a little sloppy, at least coming from Pixar. Almost meandering even at points. As a whole it works very well, including how things play out near the end of the film. It all comes together and makes sense between character actions both inside and outside of Riley's head. I just wish the middle was better constructed from a story standpoint.

Visually and artistically? Bloody brilliant. Several of the locations inside of Riley's head seemed like they were pulled from a child's mind. The level of imagination in all aspects of her head space is, frankly, amazing. I don't think I've seen another film ever that has done as well to capture it. They also did a fantastic job with covering some of the later concepts in the movie, and both made sense and were equally engaging.

Not their best work (I'm still partial to the overall story of UP), but this film did hit home in a lot of the concepts they wanted to cover, as well as it being a sort of coming-of-age film. It just falls short due to the middle of the film where
Joy and Sadness are disconnected from the core up til they hit abstract thought.

how sad is this movie? I was thinking of taking my wife on a date to see it tonight but I keep hearing people say that it's really emotional if you're a parent but me and my wife have been having difficulty becoming parents for years so sometimes my wife can get emotional about things that have to do with kids

red13th

how sad is this movie? I was thinking of taking my wife on a date to see it tonight but I keep hearing people say that it's really emotional if you're a parent but me and my wife have been having difficulty becoming parents for years so sometimes my wife can get emotional about things that have to do with kids

It isn't light on the emotional side. Not sure if it's an ideal date movie, depends on how much movies can impact you and your wife I guess. I'd personally be cautious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom