• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

inner-G

Banned
Let's get this party started!

wbEyXHI.jpg

After I rearrange all the cables in my AV setup T_T

DjRalford

OK second dumb question... I have a Netgear Nighthawk router which is gigabit... do I need special Ethernet cables to enable gigabit? Or is it the same? If I need special cables to do gigabit I'll just use wireless. Thanks!

as long as you have Cat5e you're golden, check the side of the cable and it should have the type printed on it, almost everything past 5 years thats been released and included a cable has been at least Cat5e

Elios83

Knack just got its Pro update. Now it lets you pick 1080p with a better framrate or 4K. The odd part is you pick as soon as the game launches. So if you want to change it you'll need to close the app/game completely and start it again to change that option. It's an odd way of doing it.

So I have Dishonored 2 and see no mention of 4K in any of the menus. They also didn't mention it on any updates. So pro/4K is just a part of them game I take it?

Yep better res is just part of the game. It's really evident that this is not 1080p.
No HDR though, I'd like to know if they might patch it in later.

Nice!

Since it's 4K but not HDR, should we use 2160p RGB? does it look better on that vs 422?

I'm using RGB right now, I think I'll use 420 only on games that I know are 4K 60fps and HDR enabled. I'll give a try to see if there's a noticeable difference with chroma compression.

Kalentan

How big did I just fuck up? I can't deactivate my PS4 Original from the website but while I do have the original, it's HDD is already changed...

Edit: Can I boot up the OG PS4 with the new PRO HDD in it and just update it and deactivate it there?

DBT85

How big did I just fuck up? I can't deactivate my PS4 Original from the website but while I do have the original, it's HDD is already changed...

Not hugely, just put the HDD from your Pro in and get it booted so you can deactivate.

I'm assuming here by "hdd changed" you took the one from your OG PS4 to put in your Pro?

Kalentan

Not hugely, just put the HDD from your Pro in and get it booted so you can deactivate.

I'm assuming here by "hdd changed" you took the one from your OG PS4 to put in your Pro?

Well the original PS4 now has the new HDD on it. Can I just boot up that HDD?

Yeah. I put my 2TB in the PRo and the 1TB in the OG.

Bulby333

Neo Member
Hey guys, dumb question... I bought a Pro and I have a 1080p TV. Will games automatically supersample/downsample or is there a setting I need to change?

DjRalford

Well the original PS4 now has the new HDD on it. Can I just boot up that HDD?

Yeah. I put my 2TB in the PRo and the 1TB in the OG.

Just boot it by installing the firmware or using your previous drive, sign into PSN, deactivate.

Yup this.

It should be tied to the hardware, as soon as you sign back in on the original it should detect that the console was your primary and allow you to deactivate it.

Hey guys, dumb question... I bought a Pro and I have a 1080p TV. Will games automatically supersample/downsample or is there a setting I need to change?

It'll detect and do it itself.

Slaythe

They will super sample by default, some games offer you the option to keep it at 1080p with better framerate though !

Waterdrop

I just turned "Lock at 30 FPS" TO "OFF" and holy shit, the difference in FPS is nuts.

It's running in SMOOTH 60 FPS, extremely visible, and a MASSIVE difference.

I see no difference when I "Lock it at 30 fps" not sure the point of that.

Gamerman1

got my ps4 pro
playing TLOU now and i found the high pitch sound noise DF referred during the game installs is heard or not heard depending on the angle of the system in relation to your head.
qTFilbPm.jpg

i have it set vertically and if i adjust the angle to where the system power led is facing me, i can't hear it. but if i rotate so the ps symbol faces me, i can hear the high pitched whine. (only while a disc is installing)

this may be why some are complaining while others may not hear it at all.

I assume your using the stand for the console? It sucks in quite a bit of air from both sides. Mine if laying flat and even then the air is HOT pouring out the back. It is silent though.

FHIZ

Everything in my TV is set up, detecting HDR and everything, PS4 is saying its spitting it out too, testing out Uncharted and man... I don't fucking know. The game already looked amazing, wish there was an easier way to switch between HDR rather than going like three menus deep in the pause menu.

Sturtiebe

Anyone have good settings in HDR Samsung Ju7100 ?

HDR is so dark on my tv and NOT bright.

Maybe dynamic contrast on medium and smart led high ?

I am disappointed about HDR :(

So here are my very brief impressions after getting this thing up and running last night:

The transfer process was LONG for nearly 700GB of data; OG PS4 > external HDD > PS4 Pro, but it was seamless. It was like picking up right where I left off, everything as it was on the OS, both of my PSN accounts (one for Canada, one for Taiwan) in tact.

Obviously, I went right to Rise of the Tomb Raider.

The fan noise on the Pro was noticeably quieter for me. Rise of the Tomb Raider ran loud on my original unit, but not jet engine loud. Here, there was a very gentle hum, but it was super quiet by comparison. I think the real test will be with games like Uncharted 4 and MGSV menu screen (lol).

I'm playing on a 1080p television and, let me tell you, the improvements I'm seeing with the enhanced visual/30fps mode for Tomb Raider is making me want to go out and get a 4K screen. There are marked improvements in image quality and effects. Lara looks way better. Things are so much clearer now.

They weren't kidding, Tomb Raider should be the gold standard going forward for the kind of performance options that developers offer in their games. Those three modes are really, really nice to have.

Still debating as to whether or not I should sell my original unit.

Lady Gaia

The direct Ethernet connection may be the way to go if you don't have a particularly fast USB drive handy. I had backed everything up previously on the only empty drive I happened to have lying around – a bare drive from a RAID array I had recently decommissioned, plugged into a USB2 shell intended for simple access to bare drives. Simple enough, but the restore looked like it was going to take way longer than I expected for a little under 700GB ... so I stopped it after 70GB with another 5 hours estimated and switched to the Ethernet transfer.

It will be interesting to see how long it actually takes. Before it actually started the displayed estimate was a snappy 105 minutes, but now that it's under way it looks like it may still be closer to 3-4 hours.

TheFatMan

Holy shit I just downloaded Infinite Warfare like I was using Steam.

I have fast internet but I've never been able to download this fast over PSN.

If this isn't a fluke I'd happily pay the 400 just for this!

I assume your using the stand for the console? It sucks in quite a bit of air from both sides. Mine if laying flat and even then the air is HOT pouring out the back. It is silent though.

oh i better lay it flat for now as i had a stand for my launch ps4 but didn't know this had one. thanks!

yeah it's pretty quiet for TLOU.

Transferring data. Can't wait! But I'll have to. 2 hours to go.
What will I play first?!?!
Probably Ocean Descent actually. Looking forward to play my first Ratchet & Clank game too.

Just played some BF1... I'm not really seeing much of a difference. Framerate seems smoother but I guess I cant tell the difference between 900 and 1080.

MildSoss

Hold the power button to turn it off. Then hold the power button for 7 seconds until a second beep.
In safe mode choose change resolution.
Select 2160p - YUV420

I tried this too but for some reason when i pick the option to pick a resolution it throws me back to a black screen. =/

Waterdrop

I dono what super sampling is, but if it effects the lighting then thats great.

The biggest difference by far (other than the 60 fps mode) is the lighting is jaw dropping on the PS4 Pro. It's a huge and noticeable difference.

Playing @ 60 fps is more than enough to buy the system, well done sony.

Ok just plugged in and booted up. I'm at the main home screen now all set up. Went to video settings and 4K is grayed out!?

I have an LG E6. What's the deal here? It's set to deep color on my tv. What am I missing!?

Jingo

Does anyone here that was playing ps4 on a 4k tv and now bought the pro is noticing an increasing on input lag? Or is the same?

Kalentan

So did they upgrade the Ethernet port as well? Cause I just downloaded MWR, IW, and BF1 all at the same time on my mediocre College network in ~3 hours.

DjRalford

OK, whats going on, i have seen at least 3 people say Sony done good, what happened GAF, this was supposed to be a shitty console that will look shit at 4k with no benefit to 1080p users, right,,,right?

I'm just glad Tethered is getting patched, been loving that on the standard PS4 in VR, it'll be even more beautiful on Pro.

DjRalford

Ok just plugged in and booted up. I'm at the main home screen now all set up. Went to video settings and 4K is grayed out!?

I have an LG E6. What's the deal here? It's set to deep color on my tv. What am I missing!?

hmmmm, you using the included cable? to a HDMI 2.0 port on the TV? not running through any other AV units?

CLEEK

Got my Pro last night, and started the transfer from my launch PS4. On the first screen, it said it would take 114 minutes to transfer just under 800GB, but when it kicked off, said 5 hours.

Left it running over night. I had today booked off work anyway for a morning appointment, so I've just been able to spend a couple of hours in the house by myself playing with the Pro.

It's quiet! My launch PS4 was getting progressively louder, and UC4 and Doom would put the fans into overdrive. Playing Doom, and I couldn't hear any fan noise at all. Of all the games I've tried, UC4 is the only one that causes the fans to become audible, but it's still quiet. Pro playing UC4 is about the same noise as my launch PS4 sat idle on the main PS4 menu home screen. Hope the Pro stay like this. The noise from my old PS4 was doing my head in.

To be honest, I can't tell much difference with UC4 and R&C (1080p TV), but then it's been a while since I played either. Can't see a single jaggie anywhere, but both games had excellent IQ to begin with.

Still waiting for the DriveclubVR and Rez patches to see how it improves PSVR.

Doing the Internet test for the wired connection shows my actual download speed (I've got 60Mbps cable) for the first time ever. Haven't needed to download anything yet to see if this does speed up downloads.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I just turned "Lock at 30 FPS" TO "OFF" and holy shit, the difference in FPS is nuts.

It's running in SMOOTH 60 FPS, extremely visible, and a MASSIVE difference.

I see no difference when I "Lock it at 30 fps" not sure the point of that.

What game?

Quite disappointed about the fan noise from this. I rarely noticed the noise coming from my other PS4 models because I pretty much always use headphones, but the pro has this weird pitch to it that somehow manages to make its self heard. Other than that I really like the pro, but I really wish that Sony did better regarding the noise.

SeanR1221

I heard some complaints of the front usb ports are deep and some cables don't connect well. Have you tried plugging in the drive in the back? Also exfat and fat32 are different. If you tried one format, try the other.

Nah the hard drive turns on

Ugh. This is driving me insane. I'm about to just manually re download everything

I'm guessing there's no shortage of Pro's. When I went to Best Buy to pick mine up tonight they had at least a dozen still on the floor. Then again I don't think Sony has advertised it much.

Top Bottom