• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Beta Thread - Online as smooth as butter

PSY・S;40460181 said:
People need to learn how to block. That's the first thing everyone should know.

I always thought blocking kept people from gaining ap off you but I guess they still do. Maybe it's less than if you werent?

Added my name.

I think I'm starting to get the hang of Kratos, but his Level 1 super in particular. It really is an opportunist's super. Once you get the timing down, it becomes really fun trying to set people up for it, or take advantage of another player's opening/distraction.

I had some pretty awesome matches, but man, fighting against two Slys, or two Radecs is a bitch, especially when they just spam one attack over and over again. Although, fighting against two or three other Kratos' is annoying as fuck as well.

I actually really enjoy fighting against Fat Princess and Sweet Tooth. There's some good back and forth with their movesets against Kratos that makes the battles more intense. I had two matches tonight that sent us into Overtime, which was a lot of fun. I lost one because at the very last moment, I got killed when the timer hit 0. If I had lived, I probably would have come in first, but alas, 2nd place for me!

I'm still impressed by how much fun this game is, and I had to force myself to stop and take a break, because I could play this thing all night, but I have work tomorrow, and I want to spend some time with my wife before bed. But damn, all day at work today, I was wanting to play, but thought the beta was over for NA users until the weekend. Then I saw on GAF that it was put up again, and the work day felt even longer!

I'm absolutely itching for more roster reveals and then release. As I was playing UMvC3 on my Vita today on the bus ride home, I decided that, if there is no PS3/Vita $80(USD) bundle, then I'm going to get the Vita version. I enjoyed how it looked and played at E3, but I'm too in love with the idea of being able to play it on breaks at lunch, or on the bus ride to and from work, and unlocking things. I'll get the PS3 version later. It's not like I won't be able to play with you guys with my Vita version. I'm really excited about the various single player options and modes.

I think it's very possible that this game could be my sleeper hit pick for 2012. This 6 player, 4 stage Beta is already excellent and good fun. Kudos to SuperBot on this!

Also, the 6 or so matches I played went off without a hitch for the most part. Even people using Sly's and PaRappa's level 3's didn't cause the match to glitch. They worked as intended. Pretty awesome stuff.

EDIT: Also, LOL at the player list above not having a single person from HK on it. LOL.

Ahh Fig I didn't know you played the Vita version at e3. Any impressions there? Feeling/Control wise? Camera wise?
Basically anything haha

Ran rp

I always thought blocking kept people from gaining ap off you but I guess they still do. Maybe it's less than if you werent?

It also keeps you from being knocked all over the place so you can quickly counter. It also helps against spammers like Radec because you can just roll through his bullets and attack him. Or if he sticks you with that explosive bullet/grenade you can just block and you won't fly away.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Ahh Fig I didn't know you played the Vita version at e3. Any impressions there? Feeling/Control wise? Camera wise?
Basically anything haha

Vita version:

I only played 3 matches at E3. Two of them were on the Vita. I played as Kratos in both of those matches.

Graphics:

Super sharp and crisp (dat OLED, etc, etc). It didn't look very different from the PS3 version running on the 24" HDTVs. There probably were some compromises made, I'm sure, but it ran incredibly well, and didn't suffer any performance issues like framerate. The colors were also very vibrant, as you'd expect from a game like that on the Vita screen.

Controls:

Buttery smooth. again, it didn't feel any different from the PS3 version. The only real difference that stood out was having to press the L and R buttons at the same time to execute a super. The Vita has a remarkable D-Pad, but analog controls were responsive as well.

The game looked and played wonderfully on the Vita, and the cross play was awesome as well. I found myself sometimes looking up at the HDTV, and controlling my character with the Vita in my hand.

I'm definitely eyeing the Vita version for my purchase. Bluepoint is hands down one of the best developers out there when it comes to porting games, whether it be GoW Collection, ICO/SOTC, MGS HD, and PBR Vita. They killed it on Vita. They are officially on my "developer to watch" list. I'll be interested to see what else they do outside of ports.

Oh, I also wanted to note that, playing on the Vita, I didn't have any major problems seeing things like characters and what not. It was about the same level we're currently experiencing with the Beta build (camera sometimes too far). I don't know if they are going to tweak the camera more for the Vita (I imagine so), but for the most part, the screen size and character size wasn't a problem.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I'm definitely digging Radec now.

Yeah I've been putting off learning him. He's not the type of guy you can pick up and play correctly in the first or second match, unless you just plan to sniper and level 2 everyone to victory, and from my experience people are getting better at countering Radac snipers.

He looks fun once you know what you're doing.

Awesome stuff about that Vita version :D I'm looking to get the combo pack (hopefully there is one)
And as for Radec, what did I tell you guys?!? (Though, this is gonna sound crazy I know, but I've started to rush foes with him and get up close o_O It actually works like a charm )

Vita version:

I only played 3 matches at E3. Two of them were on the Vita. I played as Kratos in both of those matches.

Graphics:

Super sharp and crisp (dat OLED, etc, etc). It didn't look very different from the PS3 version running on the 24" HDTVs. There probably were some compromises made, I'm sure, but it ran incredibly well, and didn't suffer any performance issues like framerate. The colors were also very vibrant, as you'd expect from a game like that on the Vita screen.

Controls:

Buttery smooth. again, it didn't feel any different from the PS3 version. The only real difference that stood out was having to press the L and R buttons at the same time to execute a super. The Vita has a remarkable D-Pad, but analog controls were responsive as well.

The game looked and played wonderfully on the Vita, and the cross play was awesome as well. I found myself sometimes looking up at the HDTV, and controlling my character with the Vita in my hand.

I'm definitely eyeing the Vita version for my purchase. Bluepoint is hands down one of the best developers out there when it comes to porting games, whether it be GoW Origins Collection, ICO/SOTC, and PBR Vita. They killed it on Vita. They are officially on my "developer to watch" list. I'll be interested to see what else they do outside of ports.

Oh, I also wanted to note that, playing on the Vita, I didn't have any major problems seeing things like characters and what not. It was about the same level we're currently experiencing with the Beta build (camera sometimes too far). I don't know if they are going to tweak the camera more for the Vita (I imagine so), but for the most part, the screen size and character size wasn't a problem.

How do u taunt on VITA? What's the backpad for? Thanks

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I don't know who's bestest, but Kratos is my dude!

Although I'm thinking of giving Fat Princess a try later on. She looks like so much fun, but I enjoy fighting against her.

Radec's a bitch. Screw you, Radec!

EDIT: @ TimeEffect. You know, I can't really remember, but I think it's ether the "Select" button, or swiping the back of the screen. I know there was some kind of touch functionality the guy mentioned, but I couldn't really hear him. I actually think that the back touch function was an alternate way of using supers. You had to drag your finger across the back of the screen, or something like that. I can't remember for sure. Taunt on "Select" sounds about right, though. I just stuck with using L+R for Supers. It seemed more practical and faster than the back pad.

I don't know who's bestest, but Kratos is my dude!

Although I'm thinking of giving Fat Princess a try later on. She looks like so much fun, but I enjoy fighting against her.

Radec's a bitch. Screw you, Radec!

Radec is great, long distance, he's a bitch, (but hey, that only matters when Radec is not you >:D). But close distance, Radec is fun to play as. He is more limited, but I love outsmarting my opponents with an up close Radec. They all assume I'm helpless.

Parappa is my second, but Sweet Tooth is the ace in the sleeve that I'm really beginning to dig.

@Fig

Thanks, man!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I wonder why I always have a feeling that everytime I see smithco. He would just gunning for me all the time. :lol

One thing I am getting weary of the game already, is the lags. I hate when the matches lagged so hard that some characters are teleporting around and the fact that I did dodged some of their attacks but yet I got the kills like two seconds later out of no where.

Hopefully they would fix it, but I don't think that can be fix easily due to distances.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Radec is great, long distance, he's a bitch, (but hey, that only matters when Radec is not you >:D). But close distance, Radec is fun to play as. He is more limited, but I love outsmarting my opponents with an up close Radec. They all assume I'm helpless.

Parappa is my second, but Sweet Tooth is the ace in the sleeve that I'm really beginning to dig.

@Fig

Thanks, man!

Yeah, I don't want to play as Sweet Tooth, but I do really enjoy fighting against a good ST player. He's a beast when in capable hands. Bastard. Radec is another character that I wasn't sure was going to work in this game, but they've implemented and balanced him out incredibly well. He's a bitch when he's on top of his game, but then again, he was a bitch in Killzone 2. Lol.

I don't remember who it was, but I had a great match of back and forth with a really good Sweet Tooth. It was the right level of challenge where I don't think I was getting frustrating when I was taking a beating, because I was dishing it out as well.

I'm currently working on a method to my madness, and trying to create some effective combos. I have noticed that I've gotten much better at building meter faster, so I'm on to something, I think.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I wonder why I always have a feeling that everytime I see smithco. He would just gunning for me all the time. :lol

One thing I am getting weary of the game already, is the lags. I hate when the matches lagged so hard that some characters are teleporting around and the fact that I did dodged some of their attacks but yet I got the kills like two seconds later out of no where.

Hopefully they would fix it, but I don't think that can be fix easily due to distances.

Well, the beta is for sorting out things like this.

Back when I was doing QA for Luxoflux on Transformers MP, we would run all sorts of tests with varying connection strengths to try and get the game to run as smoothly as possible.

This teleporting lag glitch in PBR I'm 100% positive will not be a regular occurrence in the release version. It is frustrating though. Especially when I'm using my Level 1 super, and I think I have the guy dead to rights, only to have him be on the other side of the screen. Lol.

Also, man, things get really intense when you KNOW you've been having a piss poor match, and the timer gets down to 20 seconds left. There were a few games where I knew I was doing poor, but just couldn't rally. I think the worst match I had was tonight, where I got 0 kills. That was one of the more laggy ones, but still, I was whiffing my supers quite a bit.

TheMink

PSY・S;40460856 said:
Probably touch the corners or anywhere on the screen.

I think i recall paul gale just said that each character will have multiple taunts.

Which i imagine would be preformed the same way as attacks except with the L2 button.
(L2 neutral L2 + Right L2 + Up L2 + Down)

I wonder how it would be for vita?

Maybe vita players only get one at a time like they have to chose their taunt at the selection screen. Or maybe thats how it works for both systems? Idk :p

Also, man, things get really intense when you KNOW you've been having a piss poor match, and the timer gets down to 20 seconds left. There were a few games where I knew I was doing poor, but just couldn't rally. I think the worst match I had was tonight, where I got 0 kills. That was one of the more laggy ones, but still, I was whiffing my supers quite a bit.

I kinda like this. I like to consider myself an okay player. But sometimes I put myself in a hole after maybe whiffing on a level 2 super or something like that. For such a frenetic game you need to use precise skills to win. When there's 20 seconds left and you intensely try to get just a couple more hits to get a super and launch it out, intense as all get out

Jawmuncher

I think i recall paul gale just said that each character will have multiple taunts.

Which i imagine would be preformed the same way as attacks except with the L2 button.
(L2 neutral L2 + Right L2 + Up L2 + Down)

I wonder how it would be for vita?

Maybe vita players only get one at a time like they have to chose their taunt at the selection screen. Or maybe thats how it works for both systems? Idk :p

I wonder if one charcater will get screwed on the 4 taunts things.
I remeber in SSBB all snake could do was get in his damn box and nothing else.

Guys, we talk a decent amount about the 6 beta characters...what's gonna happen when the game comes out and there's so many more?!? Haha I can't even begin to picture the discussions on Toro

jondabomb

Just from playing the beta I can tell I will be playing this game a ton when it gets out. Just playing to learn each characters moves since there are so many takes up time and is gratifying once you get the hang of it

TheMink

Guys, we talk a decent amount about the 6 beta characters...what's gonna happen when the game comes out and there's so many more?!? Haha I can't even begin to picture the discussions on Toro

"SF form for the win!"

"Go to hell! MK form for the win!"

"You two both suck! Tekken form for the win!"

Ran rp

Just played with Loudninja. I'm so pissed I had my 2super ready for a final triple kill and someone kills me and the game is over >:/

Miutsu

I played with Miutsu so many times lol

and it's always on rachet and clanks level

Yeah I get that level a lot, hadn't noticed you were you because I always try to look for GAF usernames instead of PSN usernames, gonna skim through that list before playing again

TheMink

I am really sick of sly now its annoying.

I mained sly in the beta at first just cause he feels the best to me right now, but i can tell im developing bad habits that dont transfer to other characters. Especially as im not really interested in him after launch.

-I virtually have no idea how to dodge conventionally because sly cant.
-I super jump and glide everywhere
-I teleport all the time in lieu of dodging

So i try to play as Kratos for the most part, just so i can keep the fundamentals in mind, but i suck pretty bad as Kratos XD

Ran rp

I don't understand how people can pull off combos. The most I can do is slide back and forth with sly cooper. Lol.

Kratos is the God of Combos.

Pretty much. I will always target sly. always. I will ride him so hard that whoever is using him is going to think I have a personal vendetta against them.

Fuck sly.

YOU HEAR ME YOU INVISIBLE BASTARDS - FUCK YOU.

This. If you are Sly and try turn invisible I'm hunting you down.

Loudninja

Pretty much. I will always target sly. always. I will ride him so hard that whoever is using him is going to think I have a personal vendetta against them.

Fuck sly.

YOU HEAR ME YOU INVISIBLE BASTARDS - FUCK YOU.
So its settle,If someone is playing Sly Cooper I will target you all the time :p

Top Bottom