• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Beta Thread - Online as smooth as butter

B.O.O.M

As far as I can tell there's nothing differentiating the Vita and PS3 versions on the UK store apart from file size, which just seems silly.
Also, it seems that I can't get into a game. It goes from "searching for opponents" to "opponents found- connecting..." then throws me straight back to the character select screen. And I can't see the option for 2v2 matches.

hit R2 in the character select menu screen...then invite a friend

VanWinkle

I wish there was a section to practice with each of the characters. As it is, I have to just learn the moves while playing in a match, but it's so chaotic that it's difficult to get a hang of. I'm using Radic, and I kind of know what button corresponds to what action, but I still have a great grasp of it.

Man, this beta is even buggier then the last one. Invisible Kratos, people appearing mid way through the game, people stuck in the air, warping everywhere. Invincible characters. List goes on.

Zen

Banned
Kratos needs to be worked on BADLY. The dude is so bullshit and for the only 6-7 games I've played there were at least 1, if not 2 Kratos characters being played.

It probably also has something to do with him being the default stater for online, as well as him having a moveset that people are most familiar/comfortable with from the outset since his games are more realtively similar to PSABR than the others.

test_account

XP-39C²
Just tried a few rounds on the Vita version. Damn, this game looks and run good! I havnt tried the PS3 version yet for comparsion, but regardless, i'm really impressed with how the Vita version runs. No slowdowns and it is very smooth.

Donos

As far as I can tell there's nothing differentiating the Vita and PS3 versions on the UK store apart from file size, which just seems silly.
Also, it seems that I can't get into a game. It goes from "searching for opponents" to "opponents found- connecting..." then throws me straight back to the character select screen. And I can't see the option for 2v2 matches.

At first it looks they are similar but one has a small "Vita" at the bottom of the Logo and one "PS3". Ps3 is obviously the 1.4 GB version.

Had the similar disconnect / searching problems but after a few tries it searches way faster and better. Keep trying.

Donos

It probably also has something to do with him being the default stater for online, as well as him probably having a moveset taht people are most familiar/comfortable with from the outset, since his games are realtively more similar than the others.

Wanted to say almost exaclty the same but then deleted it.
You also can see his moves pretty well. Seeing what moves Parappa makes in this chaos is not very easy.

Man, this beta is even buggier then the last one. Invisible Kratos, people appearing mid way through the game, people stuck in the air, warping everywhere. Invincible characters. List goes on.

One thing that kept happening with me and my brother was, well, I was on the Vita and he was on the PS3, and bunch times when the game starts there are no opponents on his screen. And my screen on the Vita I see him and the opponents but he doesn't see them and I'm pretty sure they don't see him because they're all after me. Or one time, he could see one opponent but not the other... so that opponent could fight him but the other could only fight me.

So I just gave up on playing on the Vita and picked up the second PS3 controller.

You need to invite a friend for 2v2.
Thanks.

At first it looks they are similar but one has a small "Vita" at the bottom of the Logo and one "PS3". Ps3 is obviously the 1.4 GB version.

Had the similar disconnect / searching problems but after a few tries it searches way faster and better. Keep trying.

I don't think the Vita/Ps3 icons were there in the old store interface but I can see them now in the updated one.
Still not able to get matched up.

The new build is amazing. I'm loving the music and sound effects. Also, I'm totally ok with the LEVEL ONE, TWO, THREE thing now. It's probably toggle-able but I like it as it helps me stay on top of my gauge.

I wish they changed Kratos' spear though, it still sounds so lame because it's a cartoony sound, while he's a super realistic character. This is most noticeable when you compare it to his other attacks because the rest sound amazing.

Overall it runs great and I'm shocked at how smooth it is, especially on the Vita. It's definitely going to be a killer app for both the Vita and PS3. I usually bounce between Kratos and Radec and people tend to get annoyed at me playing either because I'll either be in your face or keeping you at bay, respectively.

I generally don't like to let my meter go above level one though, I try to wait for the right moment. I even heard one guy yell "GET THAT GODDAMN SNIPER... NO PLAYER TWO (me)" a few times bahaha.

The new build is amazing. I'm loving the music and sound effects. Also, I'm totally ok with the LEVEL ONE, TWO, THREE thing now. It's probably toggle-able but I like it as it helps me stay on top of my gauge.

I wish they changed Kratos' spear though, it still sounds so lame because it's a cartoony sound, while he's a super realistic character. This is most noticeable when you compare it to his other attacks because the rest sound amazing.

Overall it runs great and I'm shocked at how smooth it is, especially on the Vita. It's definitely going to be a killer app for both the Vita and PS3. I usually bounce between Kratos and Radec and people tend to get annoyed at me playing either because I'll either be in your face or keeping you at bay, respectively.

I generally don't like to let my meter go above level one though, I try to wait for the right moment. I even heard one guy yell "GET THAT GODDAMN SNIPER... NO PLAYER TWO (me)" a few times bahaha.

I actually like Kratos' spear attack, and I actually wonder how this game could have been if they went with a more cartoony art-style while incorporating those kinds of moves for the more realistic characters. I'd have been happy with a hybrid that uses the current style, but made the realistic guys a tad cartoony. Guys like Drake really seem bland compared to his own game. I feel Kratos' animations in this game make him feel less realistic for some reason, and he fits pretty decently enough

Dizzy

Banned
I wish there was a section to practice with each of the characters. As it is, I have to just learn the moves while playing in a match, but it's so chaotic that it's difficult to get a hang of. I'm using Radic, and I kind of know what button corresponds to what action, but I still have a great grasp of it.
This. No practise is awkward. I know its a beta and not a demo but this isn't a shooter, I need to get to grips with the characters. Hard when you get thrown in a match with people who appear to be pros....must have been in the earlier beta.

Anyway game isn't too bad. I struggle because im trying to play it like smash bros but its a different beast and im doing pretty good now. Some attacks feel a little weak though, like everyones just wasting time using each other as punching bags until a super gets charged.

Hedja

Just played ten or so matches with my bro.

Online is a bit shaky. Some rounds are fine, others get a little stutter and "snapbacks" are a pain. Matchmaking failed twice in total.

I found the game itself to be boring. After trying out the available characters, Kratos was clearly the "best"-- as in overpowered. He has huge range, speed and combos so getting the meter up is no problem. His L3 super can wipe the board at least twice (that's 4 kills) or 3 if you're unlucky. Though if you can crowd players, his L1 and L2 supers are better. We were undefeated by a long shot for the 5 or so rounds we played Kratos/Kratos.

The attacks themselves feel off. Mainly because they do no "damage" so opponents just get back up after you seem to be slaughtering them.

Overall there's something missing from it. The characters don't really fit together stylisticly or balance each other out and the colours are really bland. When the camera goes long range, most of the "manly" characters look similar which is a slight problem. In scuffles there were times I lost track of my character; usually when their launchers collided.

I know it's beta, but I highly doubt the style and core gameplay is going to change much. No buy for me.

Foshy

One thing that kept happening with me and my brother was, well, I was on the Vita and he was on the PS3, and bunch times when the game starts there are no opponents on his screen. And my screen on the Vita I see him and the opponents but he doesn't see them and I'm pretty sure they don't see him because they're all after me. Or one time, he could see one opponent but not the other... so that opponent could fight him but the other could only fight me.

So I just gave up on playing on the Vita and picked up the second PS3 controller.
Odd. I've been playing 2v2a with my sister earlier just as you guys did, me on Vita and her on PS3 and everything worked like a charm.

I've played around 15 matches and always felt like the netcode was very stable and smooth, didn't have any problems in any of the matches, except for someone disconnecting in 2 or 3 matches.

B.O.O.M

Don't bad mouth Kratos + Britney love child
yes I'm bored

Dizzy

Banned
I keep losing track of my character too. Would be nice if you could have the gamertags displayed permenantly throughout a matchm

jgmo870

Banned
I found the game itself to be boring. After trying out the available characters, Kratos was clearly the "best"-- as in overpowered. He has huge range, speed and combos so getting the meter up is no problem. His L3 super can wipe the board at least twice (that's 4 kills) or 3 if you're unlucky. Though if you can crowd players, his L1 and L2 supers are better. We were undefeated by a long shot for the 5 or so rounds we played Kratos/Kratos.

I'd wager the reason why you think Kratos is overpowered is because you're mainly pitted against people who don't know how to use the characters' range of abilities better. I had a string of matches where I'd get 10+ kills and two level-3 supers w/Kratos until I was thrown in a match with more experienced players (one Fat Princess and two Sly's).

Got my butt kicked.

I'd wager the reason why you think Kratos is overpowered is because you're mainly pitted against people who don't know how to use the characters' range of abilities better. I had a string of matches where I'd get 10+ kills and two level-3 supers w/Kratos until I was thrown in a match with more experienced players (one Fat Princess and two Sly's).

Got my butt kicked.

This. Bring your kratos and radecs and I will show you how its done with fat princess.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Unfortunately, this is the MAJORITY of how my matches in the game have run. Been playing with brother as P2 on PS3, and sometimes it's good 4p matches... other times, it's both of us, ganging up on 1 guy, with a phantom 4th appearing only after Sudden death / on the results screen.

The game never MOVES laggy, but there are loads of character warping going on, probably because the characters are being hit in 2 "instances" of the same world... it's pretty freaky.

I haven't been able to get a fully open NAT on my PS3 (this system gives me so much more online troubles than my Xbox 360...), thus I wonder if some of the issue relate to that...

So that's all annoying. But what do I think about the game itself?

...Well, percieved weaknesses from videos still ring true, and feel weird. I know I want more voicework. Sound effects range from AWESOME to awful (lowercase!) pretty easily, but it's mostly pretty nice.

I DO like the heavily-hitstun-based combo system of the game; it (and other things) do make the game feel "slow", but a small bit of slowness helps in a 4 person fight. It kinda makes it feel more Strategic, rather than Chaotic, which is truly not a bad thing.

This feels like the CAPCOM side of Smash-a-Likes, balance wise; every character has nice tools, but some glaring weaknesses. Thus, I don't see why anyone would want to play this 1 vs 1; In a way, teamwork produces "a complete character", or that's how I feel, anyway. Everyone seems to have at least 1 tool that can totally make another character feel ineffectual.

In this way, I do say it differs heavily from Smash.

Don't get me wrong; Smash has different character too, but they feel a bit more well-rounded, personally. These guys feel like they fall into a niche, and are purposely given weaknesses, to emphasize teamwork with characters that cover those deficiencies.

Killing with Supers? Sure, why not? Why does this turn people off so much? Smash makes you incur a certain amount of damage, before characters are in a fully killable state... This is the same thing. Like a flip side of the same coin. Especially great in 2v2, as so many of the supers are more effective, with some coordination.

Sometimes, I wish there was more variety in the tilt-for-attack settings; I want to toss some abilities in diagonals and up, rather than just at some pre-determined, goofy angle. I also like how Smash would allow a sweep to occur on spot, or sometimes, with a slide movement, depending on if you held down, or down-forward; that doesn't seem to exist here, and I find myself missing it.

Character wise, for me, it's all Fatty P and Radec. (Funny, as I really have barely ever played Killzone.) Princesses minion spam is nice (feel her AP gain is kinda meh, though?), and I like the range her scepter gives her. Really surprised at how understaded some of her attacks sound; it's like the might as well have never hit. The amount of floor-sit stuns she has, however, are great, though her supers feel kinda meh sometimes.

Radec is cool, though I question his button layout in some ways, and I DO wish he had a straightforward mine he could lay (Sly and Sweet Tooth have one, and he doesn't?). His supers have the perfect balance of skill & effect, and he has some very solid voicework.

Overall, Local MP fused with online (something not readily supported in most 1v1 fighters, even with team modes or tagteam) is going to be the main reason I play this, but I'll enjoy myself while playing it, because it overall seems to be a solid game.

Bring on those DLC characters! (Kat!) While tourney players may disagree, to me, this is the kind of game DLC was made for. Adding new matchups, and a new environments, from such a huge list of potential sources, means a game like this could last until new console graphics demands.. well, demand an update.

Nuklear

Banned
I don't care for the game. It's not as fun as Smash at all. I just don't care for the controls either. Press X to jump, really? Ugh..

It doesn't help the majority of the matches at 95% Kratos.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I don't care for the game. It's not as fun as Smash at all. I just don't care for the controls either. Press X to jump, really? Ugh..

It doesn't help the majority of the matches at 95% Kratos.

You could jump with a button in Smash too. Just "UP" ALSO worked. I actually don't mind being able to to Up+attack movements, without the worry of jumping, and pushing a jump button really fits in with the 2d Platform-like presentation.

That said, it'd be very considerate for them to allow UP = Jump in the options.

As far as 95% Kratos... glad there will be 14 more characters in the full game! LoL. I actually really like the chance to get to totally humiliate many of modern-day gaming standby characters with lesser-known, more charming ones.

Just played ten or so matches with my bro.

His L3 super can wipe the board at least twice (that's 4 kills) or 3 if you're unlucky. Though if you can crowd players, his L1 and L2 supers are better. We were undefeated by a long shot for the 5 or so rounds we played Kratos/Kratos.

Just wait until players get better and learn to dodge and AP drain. Believe me, his super 3 is completely avoidable.

The attacks themselves feel off. Mainly because they do no "damage" so opponents just get back up after you seem to be slaughtering them.

As opposed to other games where they dont get back up? I just dont get this argument. That said, I wonder how hard it'd be to incorporate a health system. Is it not just a matter of numerics? I'd like to try it, just because some people are so persistent, and I think it'd be fun, but I simply like this super system to not care about health.

I know it's beta, but I highly doubt the style and core gameplay is going to change much. No buy for me.

I don't get this health argument. Some people say attacking does nothing but if it did nothing then why does the AP meter build?? I look at the opponents AP meter as if it were my health meter. If they have a super, the strategy then becomes to watch out for their moves and/or combos because they might kill me. Same like in SF when you have a sliver of health left and one precise hit can kill you, just imagine the super being that hit.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
You could jump with a button in Smash too. Just "UP" ALSO worked. I actually don't mind being able to to Up+attack movements, without the worry of jumping, and pushing a jump button really fits in with the 2d Platform-like presentation.

That said, it'd be very considerate for them to allow UP = Jump in the options.

Smash also was created to excessively use the analog stick. This game was not.

Guys, you should learn by now that it isn't worth your time to defend this game. There will be people that will hate it no matter what, if for nothing else because it steps into Smash Bros territory.

Meanwhile have fun while they wait.

Has anyone in the UK been able to get a match? I'm trying to work out what exactly is causing it to not work for me. I've been trying it on and off for a few hours now.

Spinluck

Man oh man 2v2 is the stuff, sooooo fun and addicting.

I think it'll be the most strategic mode in the game hands down.

Me and my brother have yet to lose a match (feel free to add us if you like, it should be fun to fight some GAF'ers PSN: Mrp7792-X and JetsRap94, the closest one was this match that ended up going into overtime, and we won that OT by a land slide.

Spacing/zoning is soo fun to do in 2v2, me and my brother use Kratos and Radec, and Sweet Tooth and Sly. This team mode makes you feel as if the two of you are fighting as one character, especially when you're in sync.

There have been times where I've held my level 3 in, and they'd run and start to panic because they thought I'd use it. But I didn't until the last 3 or 5 seconds, during that time my brother racked up kills with his level 1's and 2's lol.

We're on like a 15 game winning streak, and can't put it down!!

EDIT: Every now and then we'd come across some pretty laggy matches, and when we first started we kept getting booted out by that error. The lag still causes you to be warped into supers or combos, but usually spamming air dodge or rolling until the connection gets a bit stable is the best thing to do. I does get annoying, still, there's not many fighters this smooth and clean online. Superbot should share their secrets, lol.

Love the balancing they've done, no character feels crazy OP'd. Two Kratos' can be a pain in the ass!!! But me and my bro eventually figured out what we had to do to win, I'm noticing quite a bit of rage quitters, which blows, but whatever.. you'll have that in any game.

I feel like the visuals and HUD are a lot more vibrant. A few of the animations are cleaner, and they touched on most of the particle effect. I must say the audio is more crisp, and I don't think we can complain about the hit sounds anymore!!

Hope to see some of you guys on here!!

leroidys

Goddamn someone playing fat princess just destroyed everyone. She had 16 at the end of the round, this is without the 2x guage round. The runner up I think had like 2.

Are supers seriously the only way to KO people?

I don't get this health argument. Some people say attacking does nothing but if it did nothing then why does the AP meter build?? I look at the opponents AP meter as if it were my health meter. If they have a super, the strategy then becomes to watch out for their moves and/or combos because they might kill me. Same like in SF when you have a sliver of health left and one precise hit can kill you, just imagine the super being that hit.

I think people might be reluctant to see it that way because if you have a bit of health left, any one hit will defeat you. However, in this game, if you miss with a Super, it's as if the opponent has recovered all of his health again.

I'm not saying this is a bad system, by the way. It's just a possible explanation of why the growth of AP may not be considered equivalent to the depletion of health.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Yup. There's apparently an item that does so, too, but I don't believe it's in the demo.

Did she get most of those kills with her level one (dashes through people, to get a cake), Level 1 (Rides on the Chocob- err, chicken) or level 3 (calls a bunch of minions to cluster the screen, I think)?

Because I have a hard time thinking about how she'd gain so much meter to get that many kills, lol.

SmithnCo

Someone described 2v2 as wombo combo: the game, hard to argue. I was looking forward to 1v1 but it will be hard to top 2v2.

Goddamn someone playing fat princess just destroyed everyone. She had 16 at the end of the round, this is without the 2x guage round. The runner up I think had like 2.

Yeah. Only supers.

Man oh man 2v2 is the stuff, sooooo fun and addicting.

There have been times where I've held my level 3 in, and they'd run and start to panic because they thought I'd use it. But I didn't until the last 3 or 5 seconds, during that time my brother racked up kills with his level 1's and 2's lol.

Hope to see some of you guys on here!!

Hmmmm....

I think people might be reluctant to see it that way because if you have a bit of health left, any one hit will defeat you. However, in this game, if you miss with a Super, it's as if the opponent has recovered all of his health again.

I'm not saying this is a bad system, by the way. It's just a possible explanation of why the growth of AP may not be considered equivalent to the depletion of health.

Fair enough, and I can completely understand. I do wonder how hard it'd be to do a health mode, I can see Supers being pretty cool if they didnt KO you but drained a whole amount of health. But ultimately really, people are playing BF and expecting COD, they just arent going to get it, and if it's not their cup of tea, then that's fine

Edit: actually, scratch that, i dont see health mode working at all, and I do like supers. Id rather see more modes with the super mechanics. I think Im pretty firm with no health, but I will always support the option because why not?

Damn, the Vita version is pretty freaking incredible graphically. It looks almost identical to the PS3 version (judging from the closed beta a month back, haven't tried the new release yet).

Dantis

The graphics are really nice for a Vita game, and it runs super smoothly.

I hate everything else. There is no way this game won't bomb.

TheBear

I really don't know how to win. I keep punching people and then I come last :(
Never played Smash bros either so I don't really get it. Seems like fun though!

Dantis

I really don't know how to win. I keep punching people and then I come last :(
Never played Smash bros either so I don't really get it. Seems like fun though!

You can only kill people with specials. Press R to activate them.

It seems the way to win is to just charge up to level 3 if you have the time left to do so, because those moves are completely broken and get you a ton of kills.

SmithnCo

It seems the way to win is to just charge up to level 3 if you have the time left to do so, because those moves are completely broken and get you a ton of kills.

No, in many cases it isn't worth charging to level 3. Radec and Kratos have good ones, sure, but for characters like Parappa and FP it is better to use lower levels.

leroidys

Yup. There's apparently an item that does so, too, but I don't believe it's in the demo.

Did she get most of those kills with her level one (dashes through people, to get a cake), Level 1 (Rides on the Chocob- err, chicken) or level 3 (calls a bunch of minions to cluster the screen, I think)?

Because I have a hard time thinking about how she'd gain so much meter to get that many kills, lol.

She killed everyone with her chicken pretty much every time.

Mannn that's too bad you can only kill with supers. It seems to take a lot of strategy out of the game, and makes it just about spamming you're hardest hitting attack then retreating. Seems like a much worse risk/reward balance than smash...

So is anyone else having constant matchmaking errors when playing 2v2 with people?

I have to restart my Vita to even be able to join my friend. He has to do the same too.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
You can only kill people with specials. Press R to activate them.

Not totally true.

- Knocking AP out of an opponent actually knocks it out of them. So you can keep them from achieving 3 with some work.

- With the Respawn time, You should normally only really land 3 or 4 kills with a lvl 3, if the opponents run well.

- Some lvl 1s are much more efficient, and faster to build up. A rain of the better lvl 1s will equal or outdo the lvl 3s.

They are very strong, and even have a few less weaknesses than I'd expect, but I wouldn't say they're broken, mostly just that people don't know / care about stuffing them well, just yet.

Top Bottom