• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

TheMink

I'm ready for some 2 v 2 in a bit. Anyone game? Mink?

Im playing dark souls later sorry!

Use your own advice and check the OP ;)

ismonaetZtws3.gif

I watched some videos on the story mode and wow they were bad. Still images with voice-overs that pretty much boil down to "I hear there are people fighting, I will join them." The rivals are such a joke. One quick cutscene that doesn't really make it seem like rivals. I mean, Kratos and Sweet Tooth both killed their families, so play off that. Or make it so Ratchet/Clank and Jax/Daxter remember each other from that other game. It's not so much rivalries more than it is "You are a minor annoyance, I shall battle you." It doesn't actually feel like they are rivals. Oh, then Polygon Man shows up for no reason, then you win and get more still images with your character saying something along the lines of "Boy those things I fought were weird, but I won."

I wasn't expecting some grandiose adventure, but come on. Don't bother saying you have things like rivalries when you really kinda don't.

Yea, they really made a big thing about the rivalries when in reality it's fucking nothing. At least the core gameplay and infastracture is fucking great in this game. A sequel can easily improve all the other content...

A PS4 sequel w/ a bigger budget and hopefully some more competent graphic designers (UI/Menus) will be fucking incredible.

Yea, they really made a big thing about the rivalries when in reality it's fucking nothing. At least the core gameplay and infastracture is fucking great in this game. A sequel can easily improve all the other content...

A PS4 sequel w/ a bigger budget and hopefully some more competent graphic designers (UI/Menus) will be fucking incredible.
Game sells sub 200k, Sony cuts all ties with Superbot and they are forced to make facebook games. The end.

J-Tier

Game sells sub 200k, Sony cuts all ties with Superbot and they are forced to make facebook games. The end.

Hahaha. Though yes, Superbot will probably end if this fails.

Though clearly, it's Sony's fault for not giving them a bigger budget. This game could've been big. It's like they didn't see the success of Smash Bros. or something.

Takao

Banned

Though clearly, it's Sony's fault for not giving them a bigger budget. This game could've been big. It's like they didn't see the success of Smash Bros. or something.

it's like they knew they wouldn't be able to get the third party characters required to make this game a huge success

Vysetron

Neo Member

I really like what Superbot did with what they had, so I hope it does well enough to at least warrant a good amount of DLC, if not another game. The core game here is really good, but it has a lot of issues in presentation and the menus. Ooooh the menus.

Well you can understand that this is just a test project of sorts. If someone like ND asked to make the game I have no doubt it would have had double the budget. It's pretty chill from Sony to approve and help with this game. Even when they have helped form SB and they have exclusive deal(s) for now they don't have any other ties to Sony. I wonder if they will become 1st party or something if the game is a success...

libregkd

Well you can understand that this is just a test project of sorts. If someone like ND asked to make the game I have no doubt it would have had double the budget. It's pretty chill from Sony to approve and help with this game. Even when they have helped form SB and they have exclusive deal(s) for now they don't have any other ties to Sony. I wonder if they will become 1st party or something if the game is a success...
It'll probably take more than a successful game before Sony would consider making them first party, however if they do find success with this game, you bet Sony will support them again (probably with more funding) to create a sequel. I think the general consensus is that the core gameplay component to the game is great and is generally just a really fun game, which I think is the most important part when creating a new potential franchise. It means most of the work in figuring out how the game should play and whatnot is done and leaves alot more time to get presentation/UI/extra easter egg type content/general polish for a sequel.

Takao

Banned
Omar hinted that PlayStation All-Stars didn't necessarily always mean a fighting game in a recent interview with Siliconera...

If the PS3 version ever gets a price drop, hope the Vita code is still included and works!

Waiting for that day. Want this game but I don't think I have time to play it right now.

If the PS3 version ever gets a price drop, hope the Vita code is still included and works!

Waiting for that day. Want this game but I don't think I have time to play it right now.

there is no code. the vita version is on the blu-ray disk as an "additional benefits" feature. you select that and then it directs you to download the game from PSN but you dont input a code or anything

Omar hinted that PlayStation All-Stars didn't necessarily always mean a fighting game in a recent interview with Siliconera...

He pretty much said the game can go in other directions, like the original CTF idea. Honestly, that whole concept looked solid. I love what we have now, but Title Fight's stages looked insane. I think they could have put together something like SSB's story but much better.

But, really, PlayStation All Stars wouldn't work around much else. I think if we want other mash ups like party games, using purely the LBP universe would be much more marketable. I'd love a Mario Party game with Sack people

What it actually means: if the game sells there will be Battle Royale 2. If it don't we'll be making that CTF all-stars with smaller budget as an PSN game. Mark my words.

Takao

Banned
Was Dan Green talking to himself in that Ape Escape sequence? Also, I'm taking that ending a canon. Spike to star in Ape Escape 4 confirmed.

I just think CTF game would be a "waste" if it meant no sequel. There is a huge need for more games like this and when finally one does arrive who knows if we get another. There is already CTF playstation game, funnily enough it's Fat Princess. Letting BR die on the first game would be a tragedy imo.

KevinCow

Banned
I'm starting to think that maybe Timed is a better option than Stock or Points. Due to the nature of the game, Stock and Point matches tend to go on for way too long, especially when skilled players are good at dodging each other's supers. Timed keeps that from being a problem.

Anybody down for a 1v1? I'm feelin like a personal match.

I'm starting to think that maybe Timed is a better option than Stock or Points. Due to the nature of the game, Stock and Point matches tend to go on for way too long, especially when skilled players are good at dodging each other's supers. Timed keeps that from being a problem.

That just causes the issue of draws.

kerrak

wow. Nobody told me that cross play is both ps3 vs vita matches and cloud saves, so your character levels transfer from vita to ps3 to vita.
Great feature on a great game!

Skyzard

Banned
Who said that? Side Square > Level 1 isn't a hitconfirm, Down Circle > Square > Level 1 is.

Can someone dumb this down for me please? Rarely landing these level 1s and the level 2 takes ages! [edit nvm! Yay]

When I press down+circle it does this stomp animation which charges his hands to a red glow if you hold it long enough.. it doesn't attack/damage anyone .. pressing square then level 1 afterwards doesn't seem to work - must be doing something/everything wrong but can't figure it out.

oh wait..something happened when I timed it differently (holding down circle for 1 second then square), he does this cool sliding punch..is that the one?..don't think so, doesn't seem to work with the super --- or are you supposed to wait till the opponent gets up/as he is falling - YES works! He can't block it ..trying to test it out in the training mode.

There's a small bug where in the input display on the vita version it shows touch screen as Right trigger and right trigger as a touch of the screen icon

Also how the hell do you do Circle>(fast)>square...FAST enough without a claw hand..damn my slow thumb -edit: works when I slide it across but the buttons are pretty small on vita, bit messy.

Btw if you try to grab akuma..pretty sure he farts >:)

Skyzard

Banned
Love the menu music too TE.

Difficulty setting is pretty confusing though, three here on the vita: hero, legend and all-star.

:/ Who the hell knows what order that is supposed to be in lol. Could work either way...

Drencrom

I just think CTF game would be a "waste" if it meant no sequel. There is a huge need for more games like this and when finally one does arrive who knows if we get another. There is already CTF playstation game, funnily enough it's Fat Princess. Letting BR die on the first game would be a tragedy imo.

Yep, if PABR is successful and SB is granted another game, making a CTF sequel would be pretty idiotic when they know there's an audience and demand for a PS mascot fighter.

There's a reason why SB scrapped that lame concept and made a fighter instead.

Skyzard

Banned
Surely we don't need a sequel for a while anyway.. DLC levels and characters will be good for a year or so... hopefully with more updates and improvements too. I'm sure late vita adopters will pick it up as it's a pretty key title. [edit - keep forgetting about the ps3!]

Would love to see the CTF game too. Ideally:

PSASBR -> DLC + CTF -> PSASBR 2 =]

Shame about current UK sales.

KevinCow

Banned
I feel bad that my Big Daddy and Sir Dan are at over level 100, with like two or three characters in the 20s, and everyone else is less than ten.

Like I paid for 20 characters, I should probably actually be using more than two of them.

Drencrom

I feel bad that my Big Daddy and Sir Dan are at over level 100, with like two or three characters in the 20s, and everyone else is less than ten.

Like I paid for 20 characters, I should probably actually be using more than two of them.

You get your money worth by beating up all 20 of them ;)

Leezard

So, I just bought this yesterday. The game is fun so far, except the Sackboy lvl 3 super and Kratos seemingly ridiculous ap gains.
I enjoy Nariko the most so far, but I haven't tried all the characters yet. So many characters have counter attacks and hooks/gap closers.

Edit: also, i do not see the point of having ranked matches with items and hazards.

Gadirok

It took awhile, but I finally platinumed the psvita trophy set yesterday. To give myself the most challenge, I did every playthrough in arcade on All-star. Woulda finished it alot sooner if I had put it on hero, but it would have felt "cheap".

By far, the sweet tooth fight against kratos on all-star difficulty was the worst. Followed by the rival fight against sackboy when you are playing as big daddy. And the rest were fairly straightforward.

I really had a rage fit with the sweet tooth fight. Kratos had such short recovery and long AP building combos, not to mention it was hard to hit a level 1 against him (and level 2 is useless). I just managed to luck out in that fight though.

*Gasp*
A schlobeleth post without talking about sound??

How do you feel about the sound so far??
I for one think they should patch the sound effects to be louder. They feel drowned out in a typical match.

LOL, I was hoping someone would read my thoughts, I know everyone is knee deep in tourney modes now and criticisms against the game generally go out the window.

I actually did touch on sounds a bit, I'm still super mad that Kratos' aerial spear attack has the same corny sound effect it's had since the first beta. All of his other attacks are meaty and great sounding, but that one just sounds dumb. Half the time I can't hear other characters sounds, like Spike's or Nariko's. I wish characters had more vocal cues and thinking back to when they actually said they weren't sure how to properly do vocal cues in game.. it all makes sense now when you hear how mute the characters can be. Fat Princess generally only yells out extremely long bits when she's doing supers or being KOed/spawned.

I also have to agree about the sounds being muffled out, it's strange how by default music and sfx are both maxed out and yet it seems like both get lost in the mix somehow. Honestly I think most of the bgm is forgettable, which is a shame. The thing that seems to make them forgettable is the fact that the stages are mash ups, so they have to essentially cut the source material in half and factor in the second half of the stage. Some stages are great, like the Jak+HSG stage and the Uncharted+Bioshock one, while others like the Buzz! mash up are really lame. What makes it worse is that the stage doesn't reset (as I mentioned) so once it switches over you're stuck listening to that terrible Buzz music until the match is over. Despite my loathing towards the clear cash in on Bioshock, I do love the music in the Uncharted mash up.

Overall I think they missed a few things that should have been a given, like having the announcer yelling K-O when someone is completely K-Oed out in a stock match. You know how many times I've landed a super on someone, and then forgotten which number they were and struggled to see who was still in? Hearing the words K-O right after landing a super on them would help immensely.

I dunno, I just think the super system overall might end up hurting this game as it makes it harder for people to grasp what is happening. Superbot themselves have said time and time again that people don't like the concept at first and then after playing it for x amount of time they get it. IMO, the best games are generally understood fairly quickly, if not right away. This game will generally only appeal to fighting game fans and maybe diehard Playstation fans.. the problem is most peoples' understanding of a fighting game is that you either have to ring people out or deplete their health to win - it's the complete opposite in this game in every sense so it basically has people relearning how to play a fighting game.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Game is quite fun. Played online with random characters to try and find someone I liked. It's hard to judge at the moment, though. Radec was the most enjoyable character I played, while Toro and Sir Dan were terribly un-fun. I want to try them all out before settling on a "main" though. This is a pretty superb pocket brawler.

With me around? Not a chance, Schobeleth. ;D

LOL, thank you brah ;) I actually play it almost exclusively on Vita, and I really love having a brawler like this for the go. Another gripe I have with the game is how few modes there are - I usually am just a trophy hunter/local play kind of guy, so online isn't really a thing for me with how busy my schedule is.

I know they can add more via updates but the main game is kind of stretched thin in terms of modes and unlockables. I was really hoping for unlockable music :( Anyway, I am very happy there are two separate trophy lists but I'm very unhappy the cross save doesn't let you bring progress over to the other version.. meaning you have to grind both platinums :\

J-Tier

Overall I think they missed a few things that should have been a given, like having the announcer yelling K-O when someone is completely K-Oed out in a stock match. You know how many times I've landed a super on someone, and then forgotten which number they were and struggled to see who was still in? Hearing the words K-O right after landing a super on them would help immensely.

This in particular needs to happen. I tend to forget I'm in stock in the midst of playing and when someone loses all their stock and disappears, it just confuses me for a good moment.

Top Bottom