• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

J-Tier

What the sweet crispy is hit confirm?

Meaning it can be combo'd into. Basically if you've got a hit, you can link in your next attack. So hit confirming into a special means that you can do a certain attack, or set of attacks that can follow up with a super.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
My buddy got this yesterday and gave me the vita copy, playing online while he is on ps3 and I'm on the vita is awesome!

What the sweet crispy is hit confirm?

A hit-confirm combo is something that is generally safe to do and guarantees that you will hit your super with.

When you want to hit a combo, you want to only carry on with your entire combo if your opponent was hit. Hit-confirm combos often start off with quick, light attacks that aren't able to be punished if blocked. They are also slow enough for a human to react to it "hitting" or being blocked to decide whether or not you want to continue with the full combo (thus spending your super meter) or stopping because your opponent managed to block the combo, and you save your super.

Vodh

Man, I just got Vita today, and I'm so glad I did! This game looks and plays beautifully on Vita, I don't know if I don't prefer it to the PS3 even :D

Also, fuck haters. Raiden all the way!

I am having so many hype matches right now. I just played with Toro, managed to get some good level 1 kills early, but Drake had been close to Level 3 for the last half of the match. So i had to keep him from getting it of for a full 90 seconds, and i managed to do it with some good throws and keeping the pressure on him, well dodging the other 2 players. This victory tastes sweeter than sugar right now.

Ran rp

I hate that his attacks take priority over yours........

also PSy this was my screen last night on my while we was playing....
Note: we were playing others in a ranked 2 v 2

ux59W.jpg

JWQJN.jpg

Wow, how does something like this even happen?

J-Tier

Speaking of hit confirms, I'm starting to doubt that Heihachi's side + square really hit confirms into his level one. The attack seems to have a soft knock down, and the level one only seems to hit during recovery which I bet they can roll out of if they knew what was going to happen.

Is this really a hit confirm? Can't really test it at the moment, but it doesn't seem to be consistent so I don't think it is.

Noi

Speaking of hit confirms, I'm starting to doubt that Heihachi's side + square really hit confirms into his level one. The attack seems to have a soft knock down, and the level one only seems to hit during recovery which I bet they can roll out of if they knew what was going to happen.

Is this really a hit confirm? Can't really test it at the moment, but it doesn't seem to be consistent so I don't think it is.

Who said that? Side Square > Level 1 isn't a hitconfirm, Down Circle > Square > Level 1 is.

Kyon

Banned
Somebody REALLY tried it with Nathan earlier. He attempted the infinite combo thing on me and I logged out. I was not gonna go through that mess.

Also

TAKE AWAY Sackboy's level 3, he managed to get 5 kills from me an Botty. I am not here for that OP mess. Just nerf Sackboy period

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Somebody REALLY tried it with Nathan earlier. He attempted the infinite combo thing on me and I logged out. I was not gonna go through that mess.

There are no infinites in this game at the moment. You got salty and left for no reason. The run and gun thing is NOT an infinite

Also

TAKE AWAY Sackboy's level 3, he managed to get 5 kills from me an Botty. I am not here for that OP mess. Just nerf Sackboy period

Use throws more.

Kyon

Banned
There are no infinites in this game at the moment. You got salty and left for no reason. The run and gun thing is NOT an infinite

He was doing it for quite a bit. How do I get out of it? I'm not being salty lol I don't care if I lose. But I'm not here for cheaters

EDIT: WTF does throws have to do with Sackboys lvl3? You aren't even human the whole time. That makes no damn sense

So, after having more time with the game (and getting about half of the trophies), here are my thoughts on the final build of the game:

Story Mode:

Story mode is squandered, it has no real point and is basically just there for the sake of being there.
Polygon Man was an awesome bit of fanservice but any momentum that could've been there was gone the moment I realized he had absolutely no explanation as to why he was bringing everyone together for this "battle royale". You get some pictures that pan during your intro, then you're thrown into a match. No explanation, nothing. Then you go through several more matches. Still nothing. Then you get a 30 second video for your rival, then you fight your rival - and after that you fight Polygon Man. He never explains anything. Then you get some panning pictures for your outro, and the credits roll.

Production Values:

The production values are pretty low-budget, which I'm assuming is coming from the fact that this is a low budget IP for Sony - i.e. they're testing the waters for this as a franchise. The main menus are pretty bland and the character select menu is o-k, but it's not great. Most fighting games have memorable menus and such, because that's where you're spending all your time outside of matches. When I first saw that you could unlock backgrounds and such and I was relieved but then I came to find out that those are just for your profile that appears below your character while matches reload - kind of pointless if you ask me. Characters do look and sound great, although Kratos still has that lame spear aerial attack that sounds really dumb.

The Levels:

I wish the levels would reset somehow, if that was possible. At this point, they have a set up, a transformation, and then that's it. I also wish there was an option to turn off the mash-up, although that would kind of lose the point of the mash-up. Case in point - the MGS: Revengeance mash-up, I really hate it when that happens and wish I could make it never happen. I know I'm not the only person who dislikes how jarring it is visually. Too many of the levels feel boxed in, for no reason. One of the most biggest offenders in this regard is the Dojo. Why can't we go outside of the small area where the Dojo used to be, after Master Onion knocks the walls down? For some reason, we're boxed in with invisible walls, and it's really annoying/silly looking.

Also, it makes no sense when certain characters get a stage or mash up while others don't, i.e. the Revengeance and Bioshock mash ups while Sir Dan, Fat Princess, Nariko and Toro all don't have stages or mash ups. I think they all have good material for stages except Toro, but still - a Fat Princess mash up with Franzea would've been a MUCH better fit IMO, they're both cel shaded and it wouldn't be visually jarring as it is now. Have workers start poofing in like magic (because they are) and start having a battle against the LocoRocos. A Sir Dan stage would've been awesome, have it be all creepy and in a graveyard, that would've been much better but instead we have two stages representing Bioshock... which is pretty ridiculous if you ask me. If anything, third party stages should have been DLC, IMO.

I think overall it's a decent fighter but it's not something that I feel fully represents Playstation. It feels a bit half assed, rushed and ultimately not living up to expectations. Still, I don't think this game could have ever lived up to expectations but it at least came out of the gate as a competent fighter. Despite my negative remarks, I really enjoy it and wish all the best for Superbot. I really hope they get the chance to make a meatier sequel with a bigger budget, but for now let's see what DLC and content updates will bring us. Super excited for Kat and Emmett!

I'm no developer but I'd imagine the whole system is built to deny infinites. Either there is opening for block/dodge or you will hit treshold. Anything other would be a glitch.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
He was doing it for quite a bit. How do I get out of it? I'm not being salty lol I don't care if I lose. But I'm not here for cheaters

EDIT: WTF does throws have to do with Sackboys lvl3? You aren't even human the whole time

Just block or roll out. It says it's a combo but unless they get it down to 1 frame perfect it's not. Even if they do get it down perfect you will automaticly flip out after he gains I believe 135 ap or maybe it was 150 dont remember

EDIT: WTF does throws have to do with Sackboys lvl3? You aren't even human the whole time. That makes no damn sense

if you are not throwing people to prevent level 3's from building up you deserve to eat the level 3's

If you throw Sackboy, he loses AP. If you use certain items on him, he'll lose AP. Learn to stay on Sackboy and don't let him get to level 3 in the first place. He has escape tools? You have attacks you probably don't even try to use to keep him from doing what he does. I think people need to explore their movesets more to see how to deal with other characters.

Kyon

Banned
Just block or roll out. It says it's a combo but unless they get it down to 1 frame perfect it's not. Even if they do get it down perfect you will automaticly flip out after he gains I believe 135 ap or maybe it was 150 dont remember

Thank you for the tip

Noi

Anyone down to play? I wanna just keep hitting the random button and play with whoever the game wants me to.

botty

Banned
If you throw Sackboy, he loses AP. If you use certain items on him, he'll lose AP. Learn to stay on Sackboy and don't let him get to level 3 in the first place. He has escape tools? You have attacks you probably don't even try to use to keep him from doing what he does. I think people need to explore their movesets more to see how to deal with other characters.

That doesn't change the fact that his level 3 is over powered. It needs to deplete twice as fast as it already does.

Anyone down to play? I wanna just keep hitting the random button and play with whoever the game wants me to.
I can play a few matches before The Talking Dead. Can't guarantee the matches will be good though since I kinda fucking suck lately and the game breaking whenever it can DOESN'T HELP

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
That doesn't change the fact that his level 3 is over powered. It needs to deplete twice as fast as it already does.

It's overpowered for a reason, he has to hella work hard to hit level 3 at high levels of play and his other 2 supers dont make up for it enough.

Also if he does waste meter on a level 2 and you are near him just super his ass real fast.

Or atleast let us float faster
This would be the only thing I would assume that gets changed if it does

Vodh

Yeah, the story could use... No, a little polish would imply there's actually some story in the game. They should take this game and the Final Fantasy Dissidia, and do something in the middle, with some sense of humor. Because listening to Kratos bitching about having to fight and saying how importand friendship is for like 20 hours in cutscenes would be even worse than nothing, lol

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yeah, the story could use... No, a little polish would imply there's actually some story in the game. They should take this game and the Final Fantasy Dissidia, and do something in the middle, with some sense of humor. Because listening to Kratos bitching about having to fight and saying how importand friendship is for like 20 hours in cutscenes would be even worse than nothing, lol

But imagine all the fun stuff with ratchet and clank and jak and daxter

So, after having more time with the game (and getting about half of the trophies), here are my thoughts on the final build of the game:

Story Mode:

Story mode is squandered, it has no real point and is basically just there for the sake of being there.
Polygon Man was an awesome bit of fanservice but any momentum that could've been there was gone the moment I realized he had absolutely no explanation as to why he was bringing everyone together for this "battle royale". You get some pictures that pan during your intro, then you're thrown into a match. No explanation, nothing. Then you go through several more matches. Still nothing. Then you get a 30 second video for your rival, then you fight your rival - and after that you fight Polygon Man. He never explains anything. Then you get some panning pictures for your outro, and the credits roll.

Production Values:

The production values are pretty low-budget, which I'm assuming is coming from the fact that this is a low budget IP for Sony - i.e. they're testing the waters for this as a franchise. The main menus are pretty bland and the character select menu is o-k, but it's not great. Most fighting games have memorable menus and such, because that's where you're spending all your time outside of matches. When I first saw that you could unlock backgrounds and such and I was relieved but then I came to find out that those are just for your profile that appears below your character while matches reload - kind of pointless if you ask me. Characters do look and sound great, although Kratos still has that lame spear aerial attack that sounds really dumb.

The Levels:

I wish the levels would reset somehow, if that was possible. At this point, they have a set up, a transformation, and then that's it. I also wish there was an option to turn off the mash-up, although that would kind of lose the point of the mash-up. Case in point - the MGS: Revengeance mash-up, I really hate it when that happens and wish I could make it never happen. I know I'm not the only person who dislikes how jarring it is visually. Too many of the levels feel boxed in, for no reason. One of the most biggest offenders in this regard is the Dojo. Why can't we go outside of the small area where the Dojo used to be, after Master Onion knocks the walls down? For some reason, we're boxed in with invisible walls, and it's really annoying/silly looking.

Also, it makes no sense when certain characters get a stage or mash up while others don't, i.e. the Revengeance and Bioshock mash ups while Sir Dan, Fat Princess, Nariko and Toro all don't have stages or mash ups. I think they all have good material for stages except Toro, but still - a Fat Princess mash up with Franzea would've been a MUCH better fit IMO, they're both cel shaded and it wouldn't be visually jarring as it is now. Have workers start poofing in like magic (because they are) and start having a battle against the LocoRocos. A Sir Dan stage would've been awesome, have it be all creepy and in a graveyard, that would've been much better but instead we have two stages representing Bioshock... which is pretty ridiculous if you ask me. If anything, third party stages should have been DLC, IMO.

I think overall it's a decent fighter but it's not something that I feel fully represents Playstation. It feels a bit half assed, rushed and ultimately not living up to expectations. Still, I don't think this game could have ever lived up to expectations but it at least came out of the gate as a competent fighter. Despite my negative remarks, I really enjoy it and wish all the best for Superbot. I really hope they get the chance to make a meatier sequel with a bigger budget, but for now let's see what DLC and content updates will bring us. Super excited for Kat and Emmett!

*Gasp*
A schlobeleth post without talking about sound??

How do you feel about the sound so far??
I for one think they should patch the sound effects to be louder. They feel drowned out in a typical match.

Slurmer

Banned
It sucks when you are trying to do that for half the match, but get slammed by random kratos/raiden. Then, when sackboy player inevitably wins, you hear the kratos/raiden players complaining over the mic about his cheap level 3 super.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
It sucks when you are trying to do that for half the match, but get slammed by random kratos/raiden. Then when sackboy player inevitably wins, you hear the kratos/raiden players complaining over the mic about his cheap level 3 super.

The pain of casual matches :p You should get a mic and be like YO GUYZ YOU SHOULD SPAM THROWS ON SACK SO HE DOESNT GET LEVEL 3 KTHX

And then watch them chase him around all day like he's a chicken with his head cut off :D

It's overpowered for a reason, he has to hella work hard to hit level 3 at high levels of play and his other 2 supers dont make up for it enough.

Also if he does waste meter on a level 2 and you are near him just super his ass real fast.

This would be the only thing I would assume that gets changed if it does

No he doesn't. If he has to work hard in higher level plays, then relatively, most others have to work harder

He does not have to work hard at all, his AP gain is quite healthy.

Even so, just because you have a Super 3 doesnt mean you automatically deserve 5+ kills. People wouldnt be complaining if other super 3's also had an easy time, but they dont.

Just today a Kratos whiffed his Super 3 so bad, only managed one kill. Sir Dan's Super 3 is easily the worst outside of screen clears. Big Daddy has to move around a lot (he's already not too mobile) in a shorter amount of time than Sackboy's Super 3. Radec has to deal with invisible Sly's, and rolling/dashing (though he still manages to have a decent time, getting about 5 kills in FFA, though less if you make him work for it). Sly's Super can be rolled, and has a specific FOV. Sweet Tooth's Super 3 can be dodged, and cannot be canceled when he begins an attack action. Raiden has to find enemies in boxes, and when they spawn, enemies can dodge his attacks. Same for Dante. Same for Nariko, Evil Cole, and Jak.

Sackboy, on the other hand, traps all enemies in slow ass bubbles, uses spawn portals to move across the map instantly, has incredible mobility, and he BUILDS AP on top of all this. He already has low AP costs. In a 2v2, a partner goes around collecting AP and weapons to continue the assault. Enemies don't debubble upon spawn, and are left entirely at the mercy of Sackboy.

In no way does Sackboy deserve this level of ease if most others don't get to afford the same leisure.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
No he doesn't.

He does not have to work hard at all, his AP gain is quite healthy.

Even so, just because you have a Super 3 doesnt mean you automatically deserve 5+ kills. People wouldnt be complaining if other super 3's also had an easy time, but they dont.

Just today a Kratos whiffed his Super 3 so bad, only managed one kill. Sir Dan's Super 3 is easily the worst outside of screen clears. Big Daddy has to move around a lot (he's already not too mobile) in a shorter amount of time than Sackboy's Super 3. Radec has to deal with invisible Sly's, and rolling/dashing (though he still manages to have a decent time, getting about 5 kills in FFA, though less if you make him work for it). Sly's Super can be rolled, and has a specific FOV. Sweet Tooth's Super 3 can be dodged, and cannot be canceled when he begins an attack action. Raiden has to find enemies in boxes, and when they spawn, enemies can dodge his attacks. Same for Dante. Same for Nariko, Evil Cole, and Jak.

Sackboy, on the other hand, traps all enemies in slow ass bubbles, uses spawn portals to move across the map instantly, has incredible mobility, and he BUILDS AP on top of all this. He already has low AP costs. In a 2v2, a partner goes around collecting AP and weapons to continue the assault. Enemies don't debubble upon spawn, and are left entirely at the mercy of Sackboy.

In no way does Sackboy deserve this level of ease if most others don't get to afford the same leisure.

This honestly reads like a giant block of salt. Level 3's should be rare events if they happen it's only the fault of others. Level 3's take a fuck ton of AP to get too and you lose a shit ton of ap when thrown at that point when you are working towards 3. The ap gain and items though are overkill on it.

But I gotta say, outside of Raiden and Kratos. This game is pretty nicely balanced, very impressive for their first fighting game I say. And I'd say much better balanced than Smash Bros.

And I didn't think Sackboy was that God tier until I fought him 1v1 as Big-Daddy. MOFOOOO
I'm so tired of the game disconnecting. It's so fucking infuriating.

I'm done for now, Noi and Vyse. Need to watch The Talking Dead. That was also my first time as Raiden, as you could have guessed.

If you mean the Host dcing (yea that sucks). But if you are crashing, you should check your router... this game doesn't like routers.

Also, anyone want to do some 2v2's or 1v1's? I'm kind of newbish. But I'm down for some tips/fun w/ some gafs

I'm so tired of the game disconnecting at the most random times. It's so fucking infuriating.

I'm done for now, Noi and Vyse. Need to watch The Talking Dead. That was also my first time as Raiden, as you could have guessed.

Top Bottom