• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
So turns out that the reason I didn't get this on Friday is because Amazon sent it in a giant box, with a smaller box insider with the game inside that, so the postman couldn't get it through the door and I had to go down the delivery office to pick it up.

Also, was it just me who started with the Vita version before trying the PS3? Now how do I cross-save?

From what I've gathered, just log into your PSN account on your PS3, then log into your PSN account on your Vita, and the info should transfer. Trophies do not, of course, but your rank and progress/unlocks should be fine.

PowderedToast

Jak needs a fucking buff so bad. He just can't compete in AP gain at all (against most of the cast) and has terrible supers to boot. There's no reason Kratos/Raiden can just mash all day and have amazing supers while Jak and Sir Daniel are gimp as fuck and have to work hard to just to be average.

jak is terrible, seems to have decent versatility but he's so fucking slow and like you said has poor AP gain. didn't play the beta much but according to some he's been nerfed since then, obviously they went too far

Drencrom

Jak needs a fucking buff so bad. He just can't compete in AP gain at all (against most of the cast) and has terrible supers to boot. There's no reason Kratos/Raiden can just mash all day and have amazing supers while Jak and Sir Daniel are gimp as fuck and have to work hard to just to be average.

Yep, Superbot must fix them.

From what I've gathered, just log into your PSN account on your PS3, then log into your PSN account on your Vita, and the info should transfer. Trophies do not, of course, but your rank and progress/unlocks should be fine.

I got it, I hadn't unlocked my online pass for the PS3 yet, so that's seems to be why it wasn't working. Seriously, if they are going to carry on the Online Passes to PS4 (which I've no reason to believe they won't) they need to make them redemable in game as a system standard. Booting the game up for the first time and being excited to play only to have to quit out and fuss around in account management is a terrible user experience.

Still I'd have liked something a little more transparent, a button I could press and then a progress bar, even if it was just smoke and mirrors to make it look like something was happening.

Man, Evil Cole's charged punch into his level 1 is kinda bullshit.

Im concerned with some hit confirms into level 1's. Arent combos impossible to stop (Like Dante's?) Is that normal in fighting games? I'm worried that some level 1 hit confirms are going to make 1v1's a battle of who gets into the combo sequence first

Im concerned with some hit confirms into level 1's. Arent combos impossible to stop (Like Dante's?) Is that normal in fighting games? I'm worried that some level 1 hit confirms are going to make 1v1's a battle of who gets into the combo sequence first

Nah, it makes them into a game of chess. You need to find some way to punish your opponent without getting dunked yourself, and that creates such a fascinating battle of wits wherein both sides are dodging, ducking, dipping, diving and dodging in an attempt to find that one solitary frame in which their enemy screws up so they can go in for the kill.

This is the basis of fighting games. It's more of a mind game than anything.

At least this isn't UMvC3. In that game you lose the instant you get hit (but you do have 3 characters).

Nah, it makes them into a game of chess. You need to find some way to punish your opponent without getting dunked yourself, and that creates such a fascinating battle of wits wherein both sides are dodging, ducking, dipping, diving and dodging in an attempt to find that one solitary frame in which their enemy screws up so they can go in for the kill.

OK, good... I keep getting destroyed by level 1 hit confirms. I need to learn how to do that. I feel as if the more I dont play, the further I get left behind :(

This is the basis of fighting games. It's more of a mind game than anything.

At least this isn't UMvC3. In that game you lose the instant you get hit (but you do have 3 characters).

Ok, good. And yeah, I've seen UMvC gameplay, that stuff is crazy, but too technical for me. I'm enjoying the game when it comes to 2v2 just because there is some strategy that doesnt require technical finesse (though that helps). I am getting creamed in 1v1 matches because most of you guys are really learning the characters. I need to find a main main and learn the technical part down for dat 1v1. But Im too scared to face most of you now lol.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I got it, I hadn't unlocked my online pass for the PS3 yet, so that's seems to be why it wasn't working. Seriously, if they are going to carry on the Online Passes to PS4 (which I've no reason to believe they won't) they need to make them redemable in game as a system standard. Booting the game up for the first time and being excited to play only to have to quit out and fuss around in account management is a terrible user experience.

Still I'd have liked something a little more transparent, a button I could press and then a progress bar, even if it was just smoke and mirrors to make it look like something was happening.

Yeah. Perhaps the data packet is so small the transfer happens so quick as to render a pop up useless? Still, I'd have liked a "Sync Data" button on the Main Menu.

EDIT: I know what you mean, Time. I don't play as much as some of the other folks, and I'm still learning the ins and outs of Ratchet and Good Cole, but I've been, at the least, battling Level 5 CPUs to try and at least keep myself on my toes. Those guys are fucking bastards. I've been selecting Kratos, Radec, and Raiden, putting them to Level 5, and playing Stock 5 matches on randomly chosen stages. I think I've won a total of 2 times. Lol.

KevinCow

Banned
The problem is that some characters have a hit-confirm when the opponent just lets his guard down for a second while on the ground, others have extremely situational hit-confirms, and others have no hit-confirms at all.

Holy crap ive got the empty cancel pretty much down o_O

FEEEEEEAR MEEEE!!!!!

Can you explain how? XD

The problem is that some characters have a hit-confirm when the opponent just lets his guard down for a second while on the ground, others have extremely situational hit-confirms, and others have no hit-confirms at all.

I find Ratchet's Super 1 to be rather situational, but heavily to his advantage when you are recovering. And really, the advantage is so great that his level 2 is more of a risk and potential waste. Which is interesting, because that's not how the supers are supposed to be scaled. I wonder though, can you counter his Super 2 like you can with others like Big Daddy? Since it's Clank running around and not Ratchet.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Can you explain how? XD

I find Ratchet's Super 1 to be rather situational, but heavily to his advantage when you are recovering. And really, the advantage is so great that his level 2 is more of a risk and potential waste. Which is interesting, because that's not how the supers are supposed to be scaled. I wonder though, can you counter his Super 2 like you can with others like Big Daddy? Since it's Clank running around and not Ratchet.

I've been really putting in the time with Ratchet, and I agree. His Super 1 has just enough time to catch you when you come out of a roll if you don't completely clear it (and depending on how close you are to him when it's activated, you may not clear it). On the flip side, his Level 1 Super is easily interrupted by an attack, which is kind of annoying.

His Super 2 I'm not that big on going for, because, battling Level 5 opponents, they have gotten really good at dodging Clank's attacks, even when caught in the slow down bubble. It was infuriating only getting 1 kill during Ratchet's Level 2 during one match.

On another note, I'm getting better at evading Radec's Level 1 homing shot, even when it's locked onto me. It can still catch me sometimes, but I'm getting better.

Why is it that the online is performing so badly compared even to the first beta? So many times I've appeared as a different character to the one I chose. And I'm getting that awful bug where I get killed and don't respawn for a prolonged amount of time - utterly rage-inducing. Not only that, I played a match today where Raiden was killed early on and came back invisible for the remainder of the fight. Needless to say, I quit back to the main menu; I was not tolerating that.

SuperBot have a LOT of work ahead of them in improving this game's netcode and ensuring all the characters are balanced. It's not right that the likes of Sir Dan, Jak and Toro have to work ten times harder to win a match while, with minimal effort, Kratos and Raiden can emerge victorious through spammable moves and high-tier supers.

In case you couldn't tell, I have not enjoyed myself online that much today.

KevinCow

Banned
Raiden's level 2 should not freeze everyone around him. What, it's not enough to give instakill powers to a character who's already fast and has fast attacks? You have to give him a few absolutely guaranteed kills, too? And then make it last long enough that he can kill everyone twice?

TheMink

^whaaat? You cant even get people without the freeze, take away the freeze and it will go the worst lvl 2 almost immeditely.

Can you explain how? XD

This reminds me a lot of FADCing in SFIV

The inputs are:

up triangle, side circle, square

But the trick is doing the up triangle opposite the direction you are facincing.

So lets say you are facing right.

You want to press up+left+triangle (diagonal triangle) right circle square

All almost imediatly after the other.

This will place you in the exact position you are in but you have skiped the recovery frames.

The hardest part os going from the diagonal triangle to the side circle. If you are still even slightly pressing up you will do the sythe move instead of the angle dash. Its a very common input error, but its not awful because it still hits them so its kinda like "meh i botched it but whatev, just try again!"

You can pick up multiple, 3, people quite easy with s.s.s-emtpty-super

Its totally fluid once you get the hang of it, you will still get the sythe every so often though lol.

Nakiro

I honestly haven't had much trouble with Kratos or Raiden characters, but that might be because I use Drake. Sackboy can be more annoying, but I have to agree with some characters needing a buff.

The only characters that I find annoying fighting against are hit-confirm into lvl 1. But if you keep jumping, there's nothing they can really do.. but there's not much you can do either most of the time.

Why is it that the online is performing so badly compared even to the first beta? So many times I've appeared as a different character to the one I chose. And I'm getting that awful bug where I get killed and don't respawn for a prolonged amount of time - utterly rage-inducing. Not only that, I played a match today where Raiden was killed early on and came back invisible for the remainder of the fight. Needless to say, I quit back to the main menu; I was not tolerating that.

SuperBot have a LOT of work ahead of them in improving this game's netcode and ensuring all the characters are balanced. It's not right that the likes of Sir Dan, Jak and Toro have to work ten times harder to win a match while, with minimal effort, Kratos and Raiden can emerge victorious through spammable moves and high-tier supers.

In case you couldn't tell, I have not enjoyed myself online that much today.

I can say for sure: If you get this: "Opponents Found, Connecting" and it drops to this: "Searching for opponents" BACK OUT! Otherwise, it resets your character selection

I've been really putting in the time with Ratchet, and I agree. His Super 1 has just enough time to catch you when you come out of a roll if you don't completely clear it (and depending on how close you are to him when it's activated, you may not clear it). On the flip side, his Level 1 Super is easily interrupted by an attack, which is kind of annoying.

His Super 2 I'm not that big on going for, because, battling Level 5 opponents, they have gotten really good at dodging Clank's attacks, even when caught in the slow down bubble. It was infuriating only getting 1 kill during Ratchet's Level 2 during one match.

On another note, I'm getting better at evading Radec's Level 1 homing shot, even when it's locked onto me. It can still catch me sometimes, but I'm getting better.

Do you activate the super 2 when enemies are bunched together? Sounds like an easy 3 kills + follow up if that situation arises, which it commonly should. My mistake with Super 2 is arrogance in timing. I figure enemies arent going to dodge or jump, and they do lol.

I feel that his super 1 needs a little trimming to make Super 2 more viable. You should want to find his 2 more reliable than his 1.

That said, I've gotten very good at dodging Dante's Super 2. I almost always see it coming

Raiden's level 2 should not freeze everyone around him. What, it's not enough to give instakill powers to a character who's already fast and has fast attacks? You have to give him a few absolutely guaranteed kills, too? And then make it last long enough that he can kill everyone twice?

I dont have a problem dodging Raiden's 2 if he doesn't freeze you first. Problem is, it's not too different than his Super 3, and in most scenarios, it's better (a good Raiden would probably average 4 kills off of Super 2). If you can guarantee the freeze, you can get a wipeout, which is probably about relatively equal to his level 3, which for some reason, randomly puts you in a box (you dont seem to spawn where you originally where before the initiation of the super, which wastes the super's time)

YoungOne

Used that empty cancel a few times today and ran into another guy that had it down.

KevinCow

Banned
^whaaat? You cant even get people without the freeze, take away the freeze and it will go the worst lvl 2 almost immeditely.

So then he's have to actually work for his level 2 kills? Oh my, how awful, his level 2 would suddenly be like Parappa's, Fat Princess's, and Big Daddy's.

As it is, it's basically two supers in one. He gets the area of effect like Evil Cole, and then he goes into a Big Daddy transformation mode.

I honestly haven't had much trouble with Kratos or Raiden characters, but that might be because I use Drake. Sackboy can be more annoying, but I have to agree with some characters needing a buff.

The only characters that I find annoying fighting against are hit-confirm into lvl 1. But if you keep jumping, there's nothing they can really do.. but there's not much you can do either most of the time.

My annoyance with Kratos' chain grab still stands, but I know I can handle him better in 1v1, because I can block and roll. But with more than just us (FFA for example), it's like dealing with a piranha and two vultures.

I'm surprised with how low Sackboy's Super 3 AP requirement is. I was reading the numbers, and it's crazy low. Seeing the actual quantity puts it in perspective. Most average like 750 AP, I think Sackboy is like 600.

TheMink

So then he's have to actually work for his level 2 kills? Oh my, how awful, his level 2 would suddenly be like Parappa's, Fat Princess's, and Big Daddy's.

As it is, it's basically two supers in one. He gets the area of effect like Evil Cole, and then he goes into a Big Daddy transformation mode.

*rolls eyes*

You dont understand, im not kidding when i say its virtually worthless without it.
If its going to be nerfed, nerf its time to make only the first burst the kills you will get. i.e an area of effect that you have to work for, but it gives you only enough time to get the people you froze initially.

I absolutley think its far to powerful as it is btw.

The empty cancel? Hopefully not Dante could use the small boost imo and I like when the community finds little abilities like that with characters.

Indeed, i already enjoyed dante. But the empty cancel makes him my main, its hard to do so by no means can it be OP and its the only hit confirm for his lvl 1 which he desperately needs.

Nakiro

The empty cancel? Hopefully not Dante could use the small boost imo and I like when the community finds little abilities like that with characters.
I'm all for a boost but if it was a 1v1 match he could be doing that the whole match given the right map. I think he could use a boost or some way to approach opponents.. he seems to be lacking in that area.

Yeah but, without the freeze, wouldn't the Super 2 become easily dodgeable? Raiden still has to attack the enemy, unlike Parappa. Big Daddy and Fat P also have an easier time hitting the enemy off the Super 2 than Raiden. Raiden seems to need to stop to attack the enemy. His Super 1 seems easy to interrupt, but he actually has an ability to move a bit while doing it, and maybe that should be removed.

I'm all for a boost but if it was a 1v1 match he could be doing that the whole match given the right map. I think he could use a boost or some way to approach opponents.. he seems to be lacking in that area.

He can do some sick combos which seem to be where he generates large chunks of AP from. He can also hit confirm into Super 1 and Super 2. I think he's fine in the right hands. He's another one of those button mash characters, but actually requires work to be good. Maybe if Raiden and Kratos had the same AP scaling they would be less populated by button mashers and require more thoughtful players to reach the threshold

SSReborn

Oh that's true wasn't thinking about 1 v 1 actually but now that you bring it up you're right.

TheMink

Faulty logic, dante has plenty of other easier combos that he be doing the whole match for just as much AP

The empty cancel is not easy.

Yeah but, without the freeze, wouldn't the Super 2 become easily dodgeable? Raiden still has to attack the enemy, unlike Parappa. Big Daddy and Fat P also have an easier time hitting the enemy off the Super 2 than Raiden. Raiden seems to need to stop to attack the enemy. His Super 1 seems easy to interrupt, but he actually has an ability to move a bit while doing it, and maybe that should be removed.

Very easily dodgeble, it would go to being the worst lvl 2 with the exception of sweet tooth
If i get someone without the freeze its a fluke.

PowderedToast

the more i play the more borked the balance feels

this is okay, it's a mascot 'party' game that has to cater to some wildly different fighting styles. they were never going to nail it out of the gate, even with the best intentions

but some things make no logical sense to me, like why is sir dan's level 1 so poor? it's not like he makes up for it in other areas, next to big daddy he's the slowest in the game and his AP gain doesn't even out alongside that

i hope we hear some noise from superbot about working on this

I envy some of your guys ability to stick with a character and try to master it.

My usual thing is; play a character I like, die with that character. Say fuck that character, try another character, die and so on until I quit. ):

the more i play the more borked the balance feels

this is okay, it's a mascot 'party' game that has to cater to some wildly different fighting styles. they were never going to nail it out of the gate, even with the best intentions

but some things make no logical sense to me, like why is sir dan's level 1 so poor? it's not like he makes up for it in other areas, next to big daddy he's the slowest in the game and his AP gain doesn't even out alongside that

i hope we hear some noise from superbot about working on this

Superbot really should communicate better. Like, do they have an official blog or anything? I just go off of Seth's tweets.

I think there are two ways I have seen where you can hit confirm into Sir Dan's Super 1.

But I am not fond of either his Super 1 or Super 3, which feels weakest next to Fat P's.

I do agree he deserves a buff of some kind, I would like to see him more often

My usual thing is; play a character I like, die with that character. Say fuck that character, try another character, die and so on until I quit. ):

Ha, I'm sort of like this, but I rotate between Drake (go to easy character), Big Daddy (powerhouse, challenge), Sweet Tooth (reliable, familiar moveset, challenge), Heihachi (easy AP, responsive attacks, killer Super 2 on the right map). I dont think I've touched Spike yet.

PowderedToast

Superbot really should communicate better. Like, do they have an official blog or anything? I just go off of Seth's tweets.

I think there are two ways I have seen where you can hit confirm into Sir Dan's Super 1.

But I am not fond of either his Super 1 or Super 3, which feels weakest next to Fat P's.

I do agree he deserves a buff of some kind, I would like to see him more often

i really like playing as him but i typically ignore my level 1 if the game doesn't have platforms, and even if it does it's incredibly difficult to land in hectic matches. haven't looked up any hit confirm stuff, that redeems it somewhat

just makes no sense when you look at the likes of sly's, raiden's or toro's

but w/e, i'll keep rockin him

edit: superbot have a twitter where they're acknowledging feedback

Ha, I'm sort of like this, but I rotate between Drake (go to easy character), Big Daddy (powerhouse, challenge), Sweet Tooth (reliable, familiar moveset, challenge), Heihachi (easy AP, responsive attacks, killer Super 2 on the right map). I dont think I've touched Spike yet.

Yea that Spike, Dan, Toro corner is my graveyard of level 1's.

But I guess I should say instead of quitting I just choose Kratos and win a few matches to make me feel better

God, I can't stand this matchmaking. Why can't I play 1v1? 2v2 and FFA are so awful. The camera zooms so far out I can't see what I'm doing, and either I'm eliminated early and fuck the game for my partner or vice versa.

I thought they already announced the 6 DLC characters coming in 2 weeks?

Wasnt it these:
izIYIxfBcG24t.jpg
iN29Bly3QLlqi.jpg
iNEcj5X7lYrsx.jpg
ibvZd2rW394B0J.jpg
i553tdRSUsS2I.jpg
ike19G89y14Cx.jpg

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Maybe if you start a kickstarter for 10 million bucks you can get some of those characters! Just donate it to superbot. BTW wrong versions of crash spyro laura and sora you only get the current versions of them.

Man the more I play this game the more I feel disappointed. I don't even want to discuss what I don't like about the game from content and presentation wise.

I'd like to talk about the balance of some of these characters...

Why is Sly Cooper so freaking OP?? Get a 1on1 with this guy on the hardest difficulty and you'll see this roadkill just abuse his invisibility move. It's so annoying because you can't barely see him most of the time and then he keeps doing this annoying move where he teleports and knocks ap out of you almost everytime. It seems like a parry.

Sir Dan again is just too slow, Jak is too slow and has way too many animations I feel.

Big Daddy I just finally used him today and he's alright and not that bad.

I hate to sound like the critic but I already don't feel like playing this game anymore after a week. Nothing substantial to unlock besides minute icons and "backgrounds" and the combat trials is laughable. The roster again is just retarded and I understand it's not entirely their call but I'm starting to feel Sony didn't really care about this game because it shows a lot.

I'm flabbergasted at how corny and unprofessional the game looks outside matches. Unless Superbot has some huge update planned to revamp this game I may cut down my time with this game. I was so excited for this game and I'm shocked at a week later I'm playing other games and feeling tired of this.

I hardly see the fan service or "celebration" outside of a few costumes for a few characters. No type of museum mode or info on Playstation. I feel almost like the butt of a joke when I read this interview a while back.

It’s in those rewards where we’re able to do really deep dives into various IP, and even focus on different worlds and Universes that may not be represented with a character or a level. It really helps us to reinforce that concept that concept of being a real celebration of the vast PlayStation history --not just saying “we’re going to stop at these twenty characters”, we’re actually going to go as far as we can, and do as thorough a deep dive as possible, into the entire PlayStation history
http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/3249354

Really?? Into the entire history?? I don't even know where most of the damn weapons in the game come from and please don't tell me those ridiculous loading screen avatars are what they were talking about.

I blame Sony for the disservice they done in this game. I just KNOW this game deserves more. Hopefully a update or DLC fixes some of these problems or else I'll just wait for a sequel because this game just needs so much more. I really don't want to castigate Superbot devs since I know they just have a job to do at the end of the day and I respect them for what they did do and was able to do but overall I think it's Sony's fault that this game isn't as good as it can be.

I hate to sound like a broken record but man this game imo doesn't even hold a candle to the original Smash 64 overall. The gameplay in this and graphics is slick but then again these balance issues, lack of 1v1 online and disappointing roster imo is holding it back from being an amazing game. Right now I'd rate the game a 6.5/10.

It's like I"m burned out on the game already because there is literally quite nothing new to see. I didn't even play the beta too much either so Idk. Bummer.

I Just had to vent.

Top Bottom