• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Man i feel like such a boss when i empty cancel into a lvl 1 with dante :D

Dante is really good once that gets used more, it makes up for a lot of his short comings which is why it's there in the first place. I really wish people would give characters some more time before complaining about them.

Noi

I hardly see the fan service or "celebration" outside of a few costumes for a few characters. No type of museum mode or info on Playstation. I feel almost like the butt of a joke when I read this interview a while back.

Really?? Into the entire history?? I don't even know where most of the damn weapons in the game come from and please don't tell me those ridiculous loading screen avatars are what they were talking about. I blame Sony for the disservice they done in this game. I just KNOW this game deserves more. Hopefully a update or DLC fixes some of these problems or else I'll just wait for a sequel because this game just needs so much more.

Yeah, I'm still waiting to see what exactly they meant when they said that the unlockables would venture into stuff not related to the playable characters. Cause I've yet to see anything of the sort.

KalBalboa

Banned
Dante is really good once that gets used more, it makes up for a lot of his short comings which is why it's there in the first place. I really wish people would give characters some more time before complaining about them.

I started thinking Sweet Tooth was under powered until I mastered using his static shotgun attack to cancel out Kratos's level 1. Moves like that add up.

So I haven't been following this thread but I just felt the need to drop by and say I like the game. It has issues, the biggest being lack of fun content. But it's alright and it's nice to be able to have a party game on the PS3.

Now I know this have come up before but damn Sackboy in 2vs2 is just a bitch to deal with. Me and my friend faced the same people playing Sackboy and Spike 4 times in a row during ranked match. They always used the same cheap fucking tactic. Sackboy in the corner surrounded by electric plates chunking cake and Spike tanking the other players. Rage inducing to say the least.

KalBalboa

Banned
Sackboy in the corner surrounded by electric plates chunking cake and Spike tanking the other players. Rage inducing to say the least.

As Cole, I do a redirect rocket. Triangle Up, then zap at him with triangle once or twice and the bomb will fly at him and toss him the hell out of that corner. Works like a charm.

Play vs people which is kinda the point of these games.

I mainly wanted to play 1v1 online and it's appalling not seeing this option. It's weird because of how they marketed the game as a competent fighter and whatnot only to ship it out with very limited matchmaking options. Ranked FFA?? That's the party mode for casuals.

It's a lot of other little things that irks me and further more detracts my enjoyment of the game and would take a long time to get into.

One is the game tries to be serious and fun at the same time and it sort of creates this "good" gameplay that is solid but isn't as "fun" as it should be.

To explain more, the items are very lackluster and do not pack a punch. The items aren't "fun" to use and I could tell they were looking for some fun but didn't quite nail it. Not to mention the items aren't even recognizable and I thought I was an astute Playstation fan. Axe from Mark of Kri?? Okay where is the bio page for weapons?? Where is this "kri" guy and who is he?? Why is the sound effects so lost in a typical match?? Why is the camera so erratic?? It focuses on the background too much and I think that hurts it. It makes everything look zoomed out.

For example the sound effect of you hitting someone with that fish is weak and just isn't fun to use.

As Cole, I do a redirect rocket. Triangle Up, then zap at him with triangle once or twice and the bomb will fly at him and toss him the hell out of that corner. Works like a charm.

The problem there is that I main Sly and my friend mains Toro so we got no ranged attacks if we don't switch it up.

TheMink

I just picked up three people with a one two three sword slash-empty cancel-super 1
Its the most difficult and the most useful hit confirm for a super i love it :D

Conversely i set up a double kill the same way then a fat p used my empty cancel againts me and picked up all three of us (which i set up) with lvl 1 lol.

After playing with dante so much i go back to raiden and i get bored.

His combos are so boring, damn how effective they are lol.

Im not sure im good enough with dante to play with him for the rest of the tourney though. If i get 100% clutch with his empty cancel ill use him instead of dante. I can only do it one direction efficiently right now lol XD

The Lamp

Are people already ruining this game with exploits that cripple and buff characters in the game ala smash bros.?

I'd like to have the chance to buy the game before everybody cancels with Dante :/

KalBalboa

Banned
Are people already ruining this game with exploits that cripple and buff characters in the game ala smash bros.?

I'd like to have the chance to buy the game before everybody cancels with Dante :/

It's not ruined or anything, plus the game can easily be changed without even patching. AP buffs, speeding up/sowing down certain moves, nerfing certain characters... it's nothing major.

AAK

This has to have been posted already, but a cursory glance says nay.

You guys seen this rad commercial?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUNCfVTFbCU&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

SUPER IMPORTANT EDIT: If Kratos becomes even slightly like this characterization, I will stop hating him, and he will be my favorite video game character.
Bagelbagelbobagel.

Kratos was brilliant... but damn, Daxter's voice... sounds like an English dub of a 9 year old schoolgirl in an Japanese anime.

Anyways... I'm really not enjoying this game all that much :( But again, it's still early. I hope with time I'll find something that clicks.

SmithnCo

They specifically said cancels were parts of Dante's design. Plus, even with that he's no more broken than some other characters...

PowderedToast

dante's cancel seems to make up for his somewhat limited moveset. devastating if executed at high level, but pretty readable character for the most part

You can use Sly's counter on any one of sackboys projectiles which will put you right behind Sackboy and stun him in which case you can follow up.
Didn't know that, thanks. Honestly I'm quite bad at fighting games but I'm gonna try to become at least slightly efficient at this.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
So, one question.
Can Dante fill up his whole meter up to level 3 if he's not disturbed?

Do people not know how this game works before they panic about things. No he can't after a certain amount of ap gain *normally 150* the characters will flip out. There will never be true infinites in this. If you ever see a combo video or watch combos being done and you see the other person flip and spin around like crazy after that's normally the threshold being reached. You can see it in that "nathan drake infinite"

Nakiro

Oh thank you great one for informing us lesser beings.
The game has only been out for a week, we DON'T know everything about the game, apperently you do though.

The Lamp

It's not ruined or anything, plus the game can easily be changed without even patching. AP buffs, speeding up/sowing down certain moves, nerfing certain characters... it's nothing major.

Thanks. I didnt know.

Also forgot about the fact that patches are a possibility.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Is it me or that I can't find any intelligence match in Free For All mode. I meant most of players are just dead brain mashing.

I had many smart games in Smash Bros (FFA). I had way more than I had in Playstation Battle Royale which is ZERO.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Is it me or that I can't find any intelligence match in Free For All mode. I meant most of players are just dead brain mashing.

I had many smart games in Smash Bros (FFA). I had way more than I had in Playstation Battle Royale which is ZERO.

There will always be way way more casual fun mashing players than people that really try to win.

Is online free for all with one other local player not possible without having to invite from friends list? The game automatically makes it 2 v 2 whenever someone else joins in.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
There will always be way way more casual fun mashing players than people that really try to win.

I'm trying to have fun in the game but those casual players are ruining the experience by mashing or letting people getting level 3. Learn how to dodge, block or grab. It will help a lot.

When I play matches that don't consist of Raiden, Sackboy, and Kratos, I tend to have great matches.

Unfortunately, there are those who wil gravitate towards the easy characters. I remember last night hearing a guy rave about his belt status and how he was going to get to black belt off of the Christmas noobs.

If the above get balanced out, I am hoping we can see smarter plays. For example, Dante can be pretty similar to ease of use as Raiden: button mashing does fancy stuff. But due to Dante's low AP gain, the only Dante players I see now have some combos down. But most Raiden players just use the easier button mashing attacks.

If Sackboy didn't have such a reliable strategy of hiding and throwing cake to gain AP for the mindless super 3, we may see Sackboy players play more competitively, like the Sackboy you see when playing against high level AI.

As for Kratos, I still remember playing smarter with him in the older beta, but now most people just beast around with him, with his piranha-like stampede mentality.

I Love playing with Gaf because a lot of the time, they pick the more challenging characters who tend to play more reservedly, instead of hulking through everything.

I'm waiting for Superbot to balance some of these easier characters, and then hopefully we see more defensive gameplay, which I think makes up for some of the lack of "smart" gameplay you are talking about. The mentality with this game is that its an offensive feeding frenzy, so guys like Kratos and Raiden that can usually wreck through everything to gain AP fastest tend to be favourable.

Try playing Stock mode, btw. I've seen some lower tiered characters used there. Without the 3 minute timer, games are more reserved and less about blasting through everyone. Same with 1v1.

Gorillaz

Because smash bros has a good decade of building up a competitive community. PSAS will take time......and a lot of balancing of characters to reach that level.

TheMink

Do people not know how this game works before they panic about things. No he can't after a certain amount of ap gain *normally 150* the characters will flip out. There will never be true infinites in this. If you ever see a combo video or watch combos being done and you see the other person flip and spin around like crazy after that's normally the threshold being reached. You can see it in that "nathan drake infinite"

Also....

ITS IN THE OP!!!!!

iU3sPkFB52SqA.gif

I mainly wanted to play 1v1 online and it's appalling not seeing this option. It's weird because of how they marketed the game as a competent fighter and whatnot only to ship it out with very limited matchmaking options. Ranked FFA?? That's the party mode for casuals.

It's a lot of other little things that irks me and further more detracts my enjoyment of the game and would take a long time to get into.

One is the game tries to be serious and fun at the same time and it sort of creates this "good" gameplay that is solid but isn't as "fun" as it should be.

To explain more, the items are very lackluster and do not pack a punch. The items aren't "fun" to use and I could tell they were looking for some fun but didn't quite nail it. Not to mention the items aren't even recognizable and I thought I was an astute Playstation fan. Axe from Mark of Kri?? Okay where is the bio page for weapons?? Where is this "kri" guy and who is he?? Why is the sound effects so lost in a typical match?? Why is the camera so erratic?? It focuses on the background too much and I think that hurts it. It makes everything look zoomed out.

For example the sound effect of you hitting someone with that fish is weak and just isn't fun to use.

uh, i've played 1v1 plenty online. i've also played a lot of 2v2 ranked.

bakedpony

I think that after a few months when the casuals have moved on their next games, that's when quality online matches will become more common.

Top Bottom