• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

Atlus talks possible Persona characters in ‘Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale’

“Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale” was released in North America last week. The Playstation 3 and Playstation Vita game features a mix of first-party and third-party characters; however, it doesn’t have any from the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. When asked if a Persona character can appear in the crossover fighting title, Mike Meeker responded with an interesting comment.

That’s up to the developers of ASBR. Let’s start a campaign to get Teddie included.
Persona fans tell me if this would be a good or a bad thing.

Comment can be found here

Gadirok

Atlus talks possible Persona characters in ‘Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale’

Persona fans tell me if this would be a good or a bad thing.

We could make a petition, but it seems like a lot of work.

I think with enough petitioning, certain characters might pop up (that are realistic to get). But playstation fans havent been the ones to petition.

Banned
My main disappointments in roster are the lack of representation from Resistance, and SCEJ IP's (Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Dart from Legend of Dragoon).

SykoTech

Journey stage w/SotC mash up. Pass it on, Clockw0rk. I don't care if you guys have to go to Team ICO's office with chainsaws, make it happen!

Journey alone will do too though.

4/20 PS1
5/20 PS2
1/20 PSP
9/20 PS3
1/20 PSV

well gee ign that sure was spread out

They love that PSTriple.

But aside from Iota, I can't think of any Vita characters to consider myself. Now that Kat's confirmed of course.

I'd much rather see him than that Sorcery dude though.

My main disappointments in roster are the lack of representation from Resistance, and SCEJ IP's (Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Dart from Legend of Dragoon).

I really think Insomniac said that Superbot should leave Nathans/Chimeras roster spot to someone else. Game is full of Resistance stuff othervise including stage, stage mashup, item and player icons/backrounds so there really seems to be someone not wanting Resistance character but loads of other stuff.

no teddie please no
Might have been a joke. Then again I dunno these characters.

So what are the impressions of the Vita version? Wondering if I should sell my code or not. Want a Smash Broa fan. More of a Marvel vs SF/super street fighter 2 guy

pantsmith

IGN posted a list of 20 first party characters they'd like to see in this game. Zee list:

Some of the picks are alright, but it feels like they're just picking random IPs and forcing them on a list with no consideration for how they'd play off of eachother or work in the game. For example: Journey, or Flower for that matter, would make a much better contribution as a stage than it would contributing a fighting game character.

Imagine playing in a level and it suddenly fills up with sand, as the Traveler blows through and causes anyone he touches with his chime to stop fighting and meditate. Or the Magic Wind from Flower could blow through and spread flowers behind it, that open up and release AP. Seeing either as a "fighter" sort of undermines the whole basis of Thatgamecompany's message.

With Ethan Mars, I think that would be enormously funny to see him as a fighter, but again I think we'd be better off with a stage from Heavy Rain (maybe a film noir-styled street thats constantly filling up with water, ha) or having an origami crane as a useless Mr. Saturn-esque item.

Just throwing ideas in is easy as pie, but forcing everyone to be a fighter is the wrong way to go about it. I like Kutaro, Blasto, Alundra, Rudy, Toan and Wander as suggestions, though I respect Team Ico if they don't want to add their characters to a slapstick fighting game (the last thing this game and its fans need is someone on Team Ico publicly insulting this game because they didn't respect their wishes- an item (Ico's blunt stick of wood, or Wander's light firing sword) or a loosely inspired stage would probably work much better as a compromise).

Personally I'd keep the characters I mentioned above, and consider Max&Monica (better than Toan in my opinion), Ari&Stan from Okage, the Pomeranian from Tokyo Jungle and a few who have been mentioned enough here and elsewhere (Jen Tate ((lol)) and Robbit). It should be their goal to look at characters as interesting fighters and save the other IPs as contributions elsewhere.

edit:

also- Napalm_Frank, grats on the leaderboard! I saw you on there last night in the top 20 (14, I think) and was glad to see a gaffer up there. Who have you been playing as?

I really want Abe in, but I'm worried they might scrap him after being unable to implement his possession abilities in a smart and well-designed way, and it might end up annoying to have controls wrested away from you in an online game (unless possession is only very temporary). If they're having problems with it, I'd recommend Abe NOT be able to possess other players, but instead bring a Slig, Scrab or Paramite into the fight and let him control them instead via possession whilst Abe himself is hidden, kinda like Pokemon trainer with a twist. This could allow him to build AP but shield him from death - if the creature dies it merely brings Abe back. The catch is only Abe would be able to perform a super so he'd only use the Slig etc for AP building and then revert back to himself to land the super, but leaving him exposed to death. Make sense? And for the hell of it:

Level 1 - Abe pulls a lever and a boulder drops on the enemy, Abe giggles.
Level 2 - Abe climbs into the wheel-like minecar from Abe's Exoddus and flattens enemies.
Level 3 - Abe turns into Shrykull and zaps everyone on screen.

^^

Noi

They love that PSTriple.

But aside from Iota, I can't think of any Vita characters to consider myself. Now that Kat's confirmed of course.

I'd much rather see him than that Sorcery dude though.

Playable Hero Patapon.

3465779695_64360c1de9.jpg

Level 3: Transforms into Uberhero Patapon.

I see no issues!

I do agree that the IGN requests are a bit silly for wanting everyone to be a character. Some IPs work better as stages/mashups than playable characters.

KalBalboa

Banned
4/20 PS1
5/20 PS2
1/20 PSP
9/20 PS3
1/20 PSV

well gee ign that sure was spread out

In all fairness, the Vita has almost no new IP and already one is making its way into the game and IGN mentioned another. The PSP still has good representation in the final game and got an IGN request too.

Some of the PS3 suggestions are flat-out bad, though. No matter how good the games, characters like "Monroe" would be moronic.

Takao

Banned
The way I sorted that was in order of console release. I understand that there's not many characters to take from Vita's library yet. It was more of a dig at the complete disappearance of the PS1, and PSP. PS3 should not be that over represented, lol.

KalBalboa

Banned
The way I sorted that was in order of console release. I understand that there's not many characters to take from Vita's library yet. It was more of a dig at the complete disappearance of the PS1, and PSP. PS3 should not be that over represented, lol.

Well, aside from the obvious Crash, Snake, Spyro and Cloud, who else do we want from PS1? Right now we have:

Sir Dan
Sweet Tooth
Parappa
Spike

I'd love for Gabe Logan and maybe Blasto, but otherwise the bases are covered in terms of first-party.

I still think Solid Snake is going to show up in this.

IGN posted a list of 20 first party characters they'd like to see in this game. Zee list:

18. The Traveler (Journey, PS3)

A character that was designed with pacifism in mind to be put in a fighting game. Brilliance.

Maybe that's a bit harsh on IGN. But really, did they even play Journey? You don't attack anything. The game was designed that way. Why in the hell would you put such a pacifistic character in ASBR? It completely undermines the concept of Journey.

It's a silly thing to get upset at, I know.

I guess we can say goodbye to that sequel based on EU opening week :(. I got to eat crow since I was one of those wo expected decent sales at least before the delay but I never imagined it would do this badly. Such a tragedy and I don't think marketing would help much either. There were such an onslaught of AAA titles and they were available at friendlier pricepoints. Also I guess the party fighter genre might be more niche than I tought, Smash is really hard to calculate since it sells just by being true nintendo AAA title with Mario on the cover.

I have no idea what Superbot will be doing after post launch support is done. I'd guess All-Stars PSN game or something unless they will do something totally original.

Oh and I'm #6 in FFA rank now <3. Gotta make it to top 5 especially since #5 is our friend Redskins :D.

Are you refering solely to the UK's first weekend, or has more sales info been released since then?

1. Alundra (Self-titled, PS1)
2. Captain Blasto (Blasto, PS1)
3. Ethan Mars (Heavy Rain, PS3)
4. Finn (Sorcery, PS3)
5. Gabe Logan (Syphon Filter, PS1)
6. Ico (Self-titled, PS2)
7. Jaster Rogue (Rogue Galaxy, PS2)
8. Jeanne D'Arc (Self-titled, PSP)
9. Jodie Holmes (Beyond: Two Souls, PS3)
10. Joel (The Last of Us, PS3)
11. Kutaro (Puppeteer, PS3)
12. Lil & Laarg (Escape Plan, PSV)
13. Mark Hammond (The Getaway, PS2)
14. Monroe (The Unfinished Swan, PS3)
15. Nathan Hale (Resistance, PS3)
16. Rudy Roughnight (Wild Arms, PS1)
17. Scarlet Blake (Dead Nation, PS3)
18. The Traveler (Journey, PS3)
19. Toan (Dark Cloud, PS2)
20. Wander (Shadow of the Colossus, PS2)

Invizimals am cry.

I agree with all of their choices except Joel, Ethan Mars, Scarlet Blake, Nathan Hale, Mark Hammond, and Jodie Holmes.

List is only quasi good. No Robbit, no Vibri, no Lammy, no Folklore rep and no one from Legend of Dragoon (wtf!). Remove Nathan Hale and replace him with a Chimera, since the last thing the game needs is a generic looking soldier. Take out Kutaro since his game isn't out yet for another year. Monroe... wut?! And get rid of Blasto, Mark Hammond, Scarlet, Finn, Ethan Mars, Joel and Jodie Holmes too - all of them are stupid picks for whatever reason.

KalBalboa

Banned
Wow, no sight of it in all those charts. Hoping the game has legs, but I don't think it even has feet to walk with.

I still don't look at that as a proper indicator of how well it's doing in the UK. It only accounts for a day or so when All Stars was actually on shelves. I bet it'd make top twenty, at least, for the first true week. It does have some stiff AAA competition, especially when you take into account each console release counts for a slot.

Takao

Banned
I still don't look at that as a proper indicator of how well it's doing in the UK. It only accounts for a day or so when All Stars was actually on shelves. I bet it'd make top twenty, at least, for the first true week. It does have some stiff AAA competition, especially when you take into account each console release counts for a slot.

He's referring to all of Europe. It failed to chart anywhere.

Spinluck

I... don't get it? In what context are you speaking in? Tiers, the characters themselves, or what?

Kratos is the best character in the game, and Drake is the 5th best.

Based on my encounters online. What GAF has been saying. My friends and fam. And me getting trying them out.

Kratos supers don't require good timing, and often rewards shitty players. His combos are barely punishable since he can just turn them around on the fly mid-combo. And his level 2 has an insane hit box with like zero start up time. Crazy AP gain..

Raiden might have the most level 1 set ups in the game, and has Supers that can wrack a silly amount of kills. His hits also have a ridiculous amount of priority. Mashing square and forward circle should win you most matches.

Sly's level 1 covers the whole floor of the Resistance stage, and his counter is crazy good. His lightning dash has crazy priority, his level 1 out of invisibility is insane, as it can easily net him more than 1 kill almost every time. He doesn't need the best timing for it either.

Sackboy, would've been higher if his level 1 didn't require you to be so close. It also relies heavily on the shock pad set up. But it doesn't matter much, since his AP gain is probably the most broken in this game, he makes Kratos jealous. His level 3 almost guarantees a win in 2v2 and FFA. But you can prevent him from getting his 3 if you are good at rushing him down and avoiding his shock pads(which is his best move after the cakes imo).

Drake's AK is ridiculous. What's even more ridiculous is how he can spam it by canceling with down O. I can't count how many Drake and Drake teams me and my peeps have fought online. They unshamefully just spam his best attacks. The barrel is easy to dodge in 1v1, but in the fray of a FFA or 2V2 battle, it'll get you at times. With his AK and melee combo, he'll gain AP pretty quickly. And his level 1 can net multiple kills in the right hand or even lucky ass ones, and his level 2 is pretty good when used right. But you will never feel far from a super with Drake, period. All you need is that AK.

TheMink

Holy crap i cant even opperate on Time Station. God everything about that stage fills me with unconsolable rage.

Ill be rockin a combo then all the sudden you get lifted of the freaking ground for no damn reason. And everything goes to crap.
I hate items too, the next time i get hit with an ice rocket and stay frozen for a half hour I'm going to hard reset my ps3.

Im bummed that we aperently opted to have hazzards and items on for the tourney too...

Top Bottom