• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

Gadirok

Traded in my Wii and Scribblenauts Unlimited for this. I hope it's worth it!

Question,

Which character is weak but fast at movement and dodging (similar to Fox McCloud in Brawl). Those are the fighters tend to lean towards

Good cole is really versatile. I have been using him and have managed to dodge several level 3s completely while being solo and my partner knocked out.

I am not good with his offensive though and prefer evil cole.

SmithnCo

Even floating up against sackboy's 3 is futile because he can grapple hook to break bubbles, I barely know why they put flaoting into that because it barely ever makes a difference. The super really needs to be shorter.

Gadirok

Even floating up against sackboy's 3 is futile because he can grapple hook to break bubbles, I barely know why they put flaoting into that because it barely ever makes a difference. The super really needs to be shorter.

You serious? That just even more proves everyones point that hes OP. Really no hope since a double jump plus grapple could reach maybe even the highest places of the map.

Vodh

On top of that, Sackboy has really good AP generation, AND his lvl3 is the cheapest one in the game.

PowderedToast

Traded in my Wii and Scribblenauts Unlimited for this. I hope it's worth it!

Question,

Which character is weak but fast at movement and dodging (similar to Fox McCloud in Brawl). Those are the fighters tend to lean towards

hmm, sly actually doesn't have dodge, but he does have unlimited invisibility and teleport (the only other character who has that is spike). i can't play as him cos no dodge feels too strange

other than that i'd probably say dante. his attack animations are very fast

Gadirok

On top of that, Sackboy has really good AP generation, AND his lvl3 is the cheapest one in the game.

Someone should just make a list of everything wrong with this character. It just has way too many advantages for what he does and hardly any cons.

One of my friends wouldn't pick this up because Radec spams? That is nothing compared to sackboy. Atleast with Radec you had a fighting chance.

TheMink

Yeah, nope. Maaaybe the 'fps' style ones, like Radec's, but the 'fear me for I'm fast and powerful' ones usually grant 2 easy ones, and then you have to work for the third. And if you're chasing someone who knows where his dodge button is, he can usually stall you long enough for the partner to be completely safe, so most lvl 3 supers in 2v2 grant you 2-4 kills. Sackboy grabs 4 kills with no effort whatsoever and gives his partner at least lv1 worth of AP if not more.

I have a 90% success rate with search and destroy supers. (Depends on the stage really)
I get 4 often. So i dont know what to tell ya.

By the way, not defending Sackboys lvl 3, its totally effortless. Its a 100% success rate with zero work.

Technically, Parappas costs the same, but that only proves the point further.

Do people not grab others with high AP? If you let someone get to LVL 3 and do nothing about it, you have a problem.

Hell, not that it matters much anyway. I was running Kratos for the hell of it, fought a Sackboy, Drake, and Sly. While Sackboy attacked from afar trying to build up that AP, I slaughtered everyone else.

He hit the button (because, eventually, I started being stupid and was playing silly games with the Sly), and got 6 kills. End of the round? I had 26, because I was actively using my LVL 1's and 2's.

TheMink

Do people not grab others with high AP? If you let someone get to LVL 3 and do nothing about it, you have a problem.

Hell, not that it matters much anyway. I was running Kratos for the hell of it, fought a Sackboy, Drake, and Sly. While Sackboy attacked from afar trying to build up that AP, I slaughtered everyone else.

He hit the button (because, eventually, I started being stupid and was playing silly games with the Sly), and got 6 kills. End of the round? I had 26, because I was actively using my LVL 1's and 2's.

Sounds about right to me man.

KalBalboa

Banned

I go grab crazy prior to level 2s, sometimes.

I think that All Stars allows for server-side balancing without patches, but I could be mistaken.

Sounds about right to me man.

I mean, we have all these tools, and we never use them in practice.

It's like getting hit by Ultras in SF4. Sure, that was happening to me a lot, but then I learned to avoid them, block them, or smack them out of it.

All Stars isn't completely balanced. But I hope they don't ruin this game by responding to silly knee-jerk reactions from people who think that losing means their character is underpowered.

TheMink

I mean, we have all these tools, and we never use them in practice.

It's like getting hit by Ultras in SF4. Sure, that was happening to me a lot, but then I learned to avoid them, block them, or smack them out of it.

All Stars isn't completely balanced. But I hope they don't ruin this game by responding to silly knee-jerk reactions from people who think that losing means their character is underpowered.

I absolutely agree with you.

Banned
So that's 3 Spikes, 1 evil Cole, 2 Sly, and 1 Dante lol. Well, Ape Escape was the first PS1 mascot game I played and owned. Seems to be a good fit. Gonna try it out when I get home.

TheMink

My biggest complaint right now is that Dante goes too high for the camera a lot lol.
Especially in Dojo after the top gets blown off, when you bring the enemy into the air you cant even see yourself at one point haha, which doesnt technically matter for completing the combo if you are practiced enough with the inputs, but occasionally i get confused XD

Another stage its a problem on is Aldens Tower, but only if you are on a platform.

And some other stages, but its just kinda sloppy, it should just follow me up a little more, i mean only a few feet would be enough for me to see.

Caffer

Neo Member
I did almost the same thing while I was on the brown belt, but half the times it wasn't even my fault since the game was acting up.
my ps3 freezed once and lost 15 points and then I lost a glitched match where everyone was invisible lol... then I've become nervous and lost again.. bad day for my belt :-(

Gadirok

My biggest complaint right now is that Dante goes too high for the camera a lot lol.
Especially in Dojo after the top gets blown off, when you bring the enemy into the air you cant even see yourself at one point haha, which doesnt technically matter for completing the combo if you are practiced enough with the inputs, but occasionally i get confused XD

Another stage its a problem on is Aldens Tower, but only if you are on a platform.

And some other stages, but its just kinda sloppy, it should just follow me up a little more, i mean only a few feet would be enough for me to see.

Thats nothing compared to loco roco/ Franzea on the vita which focuses on the player who gets respawned. AKA I can't see shit if I'm attacking someone or stuck in a combo at the corner of the map.

TheMink

Hey guys what is an empty cancel?

This reminds me a lot of FADCing in SFIV

The inputs are:

up triangle, side circle, square

But the trick is doing the up triangle opposite the direction you are facincing.

So lets say you are facing right.

You want to press up+left+triangle (diagonal triangle) right circle square

All almost imediatly after the other.

This will place you in the exact position you are in but you have skiped the recovery frames.

The hardest part os going from the diagonal triangle to the side circle. If you are still even slightly pressing up you will do the sythe move instead of the angle dash. Its a very common input error, but its not awful because it still hits them so its kinda like "meh i botched it but whatev, just try again!"

You can pick up multiple, 3, people quite easy with s.s.s-emtpty-super

Its totally fluid once you get the hang of it, you will still get the sythe every so often though lol.

My previous explanation for ya

I also find its much easier on vita cause of the amazing d pad

Oh and only Dante can do it.

Grabs are unreliable for me. Too many times I grab a person going at level 2 and has barely any impact, or worse no impact on their AP.

TheMink

Thats nothing compared to loco roco/ Franzea on the vita which focuses on the player who gets respawned. AKA I can't see shit if I'm attacking someone or stuck in a combo at the corner of the map.

Omg haven't experienced this personally but that sucks haha

TheMink

I've noticed that too, sometimes I grab someone with Drake and they drop no AP, and sometimes they drop a ton.

Hmmm thats weird, i havent seen this, but im sure its a glitch.
Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Hey Spin, i put the explanation of the Empty cancel a few posts up if you missed it.

Nakiro

my ps3 freezed once and lost 15 points and then I lost a glitched match where everyone was invisible lol... then I've become nervous and lost again.. bad day for my belt :-(

Yup had back to back matches where people were invisible and wouldn't let me spawn. Then couple matches where it switched the character on me, wasn't a very productive day. Thankfully the next day it all worked out for me and I managed to get to Black but it was frustrating.

I've had problems with grabs as well, I'll be right next to them and it won't even connect and when it does, doesn't drop any AP.

sephi22

Fuck this game.
After having tried everything, after jumping through a few hoops, I got my PPoE password from my ISP.

I connected my PS3 directly to my modem (as was advised earlier in the thread), got IP address and PS network as positives immediately during 'Test Connection', and got a NAT Type 1 for the first time.

Does the game work? Hell no. This piece of shit still shows me 'Searching....Connecting....'. What a terrible fucking netcode that does not work on a standard Wired/Wifi router connection that everything works on, but won't work on a wired modem connection either.

And before anyone else says it, its not just me anymore.

Gadirok

Fuck this game.
After having tried everything, after jumping through a few hoops, I got my PPoE password from my ISP.

I connected my PS3 directly to my modem (as was advised earlier in the thread), got IP address and PS network as positives immediately during 'Test Connection', and got a NAT Type 1 for the first time.

Does the game work? Hell no. This piece of shit still shows me 'Searching....Connecting....'. What a terrible fucking netcode that does not work on a standard Wired/Wifi router connection that everything works on, but won't work on a wired modem connection either.

Weird, I notice a delay on my PS3 matches when connecting (about 10-12 seconds until loading screen), (surprisingly the vita connects almost instanteously to the loading screen).

Fuck this game.

Not to be a jerk but the first 2 links you posted are from the same guy and he actually fixed it by adjusting firewall settings.

Skyzard

Banned
My connection (isp) has been shit today after a few weeks of normality(like really fucking shit, dropping out/slow etc - I HATE YOU VIRGIN MEDIA) - coincidentally... first day with network issues on PSASBR.

I guess we can say goodbye to that sequel based on EU opening week :(. I got to eat crow since I was one of those wo expected decent sales at least before the delay but I never imagined it would do this badly. Such a tragedy and I don't think marketing would help much either. There were such an onslaught of AAA titles and they were available at friendlier pricepoints. Also I guess the party fighter genre might be more niche than I tought, Smash is really hard to calculate since it sells just by being true nintendo AAA title with Mario on the cover.

I have no idea what Superbot will be doing after post launch support is done. I'd guess All-Stars PSN game or something unless they will do something totally original.

Oh and I'm #6 in FFA rank now <3. Gotta make it to top 5 especially since #5 is our friend Redskins :D.

TheMink

I guess we can say goodbye to that sequel based on EU opening week :(. I got to eat crow since I was one of those wo expected decent sales at least before the delay but I never imagined it would do this badly. Such a tragedy and I don't think marketing would help much either. There were such an onslaught of AAA titles and they were available at friendlier pricepoints. Also I guess the party fighter genre might be more niche than I tought, Smash is really hard to calculate since it sells just by being true nintendo AAA title with Mario on the cover.

I have no idea what Superbot will be doing after post launch support is done. I'd guess All-Stars PSN game or something unless they will do something totally original.

Oh and I'm #6 in FFA rank now <3. Gotta make it to top 5 especially since #5 is our friend Redskins :D.

Crush him.

Loudninja

Will people stop this garbage the game barely been out a freaking week.

Its so irritating.

sephi22

Not to be a jerk but the first 2 links you posted are from the same guy and he actually fixed it by adjusting firewall settings.
Well I essentially did what he did (there's no firewall when you connect to the modem) and it still doesn't work, so yeah.
I don't think they're going to patch it either, since the problem seems to be for 5% of users.

We can just pray EU is not a indicator of US sales... :(

Takao

Banned
IGN posted a list of 20 first party characters they'd like to see in this game. Zee list:

1. Alundra (Self-titled, PS1)
2. Captain Blasto (Blasto, PS1)
3. Ethan Mars (Heavy Rain, PS3)
4. Finn (Sorcery, PS3)
5. Gabe Logan (Syphon Filter, PS1)
6. Ico (Self-titled, PS2)
7. Jaster Rogue (Rogue Galaxy, PS2)
8. Jeanne D'Arc (Self-titled, PSP)
9. Jodie Holmes (Beyond: Two Souls, PS3)
10. Joel (The Last of Us, PS3)
11. Kutaro (Puppeteer, PS3)
12. Lil & Laarg (Escape Plan, PSV)
13. Mark Hammond (The Getaway, PS2)
14. Monroe (The Unfinished Swan, PS3)
15. Nathan Hale (Resistance, PS3)
16. Rudy Roughnight (Wild Arms, PS1)
17. Scarlet Blake (Dead Nation, PS3)
18. The Traveler (Journey, PS3)
19. Toan (Dark Cloud, PS2)
20. Wander (Shadow of the Colossus, PS2)

Invizimals am cry.

I agree with all of their choices except Joel, Ethan Mars, Scarlet Blake, Nathan Hale, Mark Hammond, and Jodie Holmes.

IGN posted a list of 20 first party characters they'd like to see in this game. Zee list:

1. Alundra (Self-titled, PS1)
4. Finn (Sorcery, PS3)
5. Gabe Logan (Syphon Filter, PS1)
6. Ico (Self-titled, PS2)
7. Jaster Rogue (Rogue Galaxy, PS2)
8. Jeanne D'Arc (Self-titled, PSP)
9. Jodie Holmes (Beyond: Two Souls, PS3)
10. Joel (The Last of Us, PS3)
11. Kutaro (Puppeteer, PS3)
12. Lil & Laarg (Escape Plan, PSV)
13. Mark Hammond (The Getaway, PS2)
14. Monroe (The Unfinished Swan, PS3)
15. Nathan Hale (Resistance, PS3)
16. Rudy Roughnight (Wild Arms, PS1)
17. Scarlet Blake (Dead Nation, PS3)
18. The Traveler (Journey, PS3)
19. Toan (Dark Cloud, PS2)
20. Wander (Shadow of the Colossus, PS2)

Invizimals am cry.

I agree with all of their choices except Joel, Ethan Mars, Scarlet Blake, Nathan Hale, Mark Hammond, and Jodie Holmes.

Blasto had one game... and it wasn't that good. Why is he number 2?

The Unfinished Swan would make a great stage, but not a character.

cyborg009

Banned

It was one day sales

Next week we will see

Invizimals am cry.

No legend of Dragoon

Top Bottom