• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

Gadirok

I've only had one glitch so far, couldn't respawn after being taken out by a Parappa Lvl 3. I've been mostly playing offline with my brother and friends though. Too many rage quitters online as usual.

Still, pretty sad that so many glitches got by. Even after beta feedback and a Day 1 patch.

How do you know if someone rage quits a match? I haven't played too many matches online so I can't tell.

Say if it was a 2vs 1 and the remaining player just leaves. Do you still win the match or does it say the player left?

Noi

How do you know if someone rage quits a match? I haven't played too many matches online so I can't tell.

Say if it was a 2vs 1 and the remaining player just leaves. Do you still win the match or does it say the player left?

If it's a 2v1 and the single player leaves, it usually just gives the two players the victory. The only time when it doesn't is if the host leaves, in which case everyone gets disconnected.

SykoTech

Well for my matches it's been kinda obvious. Usually hey'll be winning at first, but then start losing with only a few seconds left on the clock. Then they'll just stop moving and like a second later I'll get a "disconnected from host" message and booted back to the main menu (often followed by hate mail, lol). This was very apparent when one Kratos player completely blew his Lvl 3 that he spent the whole match building, and then a disconnect happened the second it ended. Things like that happened like 4 times in a row for me the other day.

Gadirok

If it's a 2v1 and the single player leaves, it usually just gives the two players the victory. The only time when it doesn't is if the host leaves, in which case everyone gets disconnected.

Another stupid question, but how do you "host" a match? Because I have gotten that disconnection before (Where it was smooth, I was winning or doing okay and everyone disconnected through that popup).

I usually join in through quick match.

depward

After not getting any glitches at all when I first played... the last couple of nights have been bad. Random disconnects during the game, invisible characters, and even during one 2v2 ranked match the camera was zoomed into Jak... and I couldn't see myself so a Raiden player was just repeatedly slashing me (I could tell, as his AP meter was steadily increasing) and I couldn't do anything.

Also still annoyed at Kratos and how broken a character he is. Forward [] - forward [] - forward [] = win. Was so fed up with it that for one match I SELECTED Kratos and did that all match. Had a 5-1 KO / death ratio to to show for it. The homing effect is just ridiculous.

Anyone else notice the new taunting maneuver is to have your character duck in place really fast? Of course, a Sackboy who beat me in a stock custom game did that while he was in his super broken & OP level 3. You're taunting me as you're playing with an OP character? Alright.

Anyone else notice the new taunting maneuver is to have your character duck in place really fast? Of course, a Sackboy who beat me in a stock custom game did that while he was in his super broken & OP level 3. You're taunting me as you're playing with an OP character? Alright.

Teabagging

Or in Sackboy's case, Sacking it

After not getting any glitches at all when I first played... the last couple of nights have been bad. Random disconnects during the game, invisible characters, and even during one 2v2 ranked match the camera was zoomed into Jak... and I couldn't see myself so a Raiden player was just repeatedly slashing me (I could tell, as his AP meter was steadily increasing) and I couldn't do anything.

Also still annoyed at Kratos and how broken a character he is. Forward [] - forward [] - forward [] = win. Was so fed up with it that for one match I SELECTED Kratos and did that all match. Had a 5-1 KO / death ratio to to show for it. The homing effect is just ridiculous.

Teabag man (I can't help but do it sometimes, sorry).
But with Kratos I can usually handle his homing with a block and roll or running in with a barrell with Drake.

Banned
Well after playing with all the characters last night it's a toss up between Kratos or Spike. Kratos has easier to hit supers but spike has some awesome square attack combos. I just have to get used to using the RC car better.

Vysetron

Neo Member
So do we have any online resources for strategies, combos, or anything other than numbers? I'd be happy to do a writeup for a character or two, and I'd love to see some for others.

SSReborn

So do we have any online resources for strategies, combos, or anything other than numbers? I'd be happy to do a writeup for a character or two, and I'd love to see some for others.

The community for this game is really small and segmented right now so there really isn't one resource to go to for that kind of stuff. We actually were supposed to do write ups for each character after release but I guess no one got around to it.

Sora_N

I'd love a guide for Ratchet, not really sure how to use him at all. His guns don't seem to reach that far, but I haven't really tried to use him that much though.

I somehow won a FFA as Nariko last night, 9 kills lol, everyone else had like 3 kills max. Probably fought a buncha noobs, I'm pretty crappy.

What do you guys think of this kill limit variant:

Goal mode: You need to hit x amount of level 1, 2, 3 supers to win. Sort of like gun game.

Other modes:

Pandemonium: from trials mode. Major AP gain, supers deplete AP

Tag Mode: Tekken Tag/UMvC style :D

Last Star Standing: like in tekken, you pick a team of 3, hitting a super eliminates your character, and you use your next pick, last man standing wins (would probably need recoding bht itd be cool for dlc)

An option for like a x2 speed mode

I want to see more party options

ptown

Have to admit, I was not hyped for this game at all but after actually playing it for awhile I love it!

Same here. I don't know or care about most of these characters and the super system sounded kind of boring, but the game turned out really addictively fun. Been playing LONG 2v2 online sessions.

The game feels like a good mix of both something Smash-like and some things from traditional fighting game.

SSReborn

I wonder how OP Jak must've been at the offices for them to feel the need to nerf him so bad I'm watching some of his old videos and he got it bad.

- He used to be able to air dash (forward square) multiple times before landing
- His gravity gun had way more range
- His needle lazer had more range and tracking
- His arc wielder had more range and looked as if it hit opponents more
- He looked faster overall in terms of movement
- Beam Reflexor looked a lot more effective as it bounced around alot more and had farther range
- Everything looked as if it connected more easily (this is probably the biggest thing)

I think they may have dialed him back a bit to much personally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRyEB3nOa2k

KalBalboa

Banned
I wonder how OP Jak must've been at the offices for them to feel the need to nerf him so bad I'm watching some of his old videos and he got it bad.

- He used to be able to air dash (forward square) multiple times before landing
- His gravity gun had way more range
- His needle lazer had more range and tracking
- His arc wielder had more range and looked as if it hit opponents more
- He looked faster overall in terms of movement
- Beam Reflexor looked a lot more effective as it bounced around alot more and had farther range
- Everything looked as if it connected more easily (this is probably the biggest thing)

I think they may have dialed him back a bit to much personally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRyEB3nOa2k

Nice find. I hope they undo some of his nerfing soon.

How much longer are people going to keep using the words "Broken" and "Overpowered" wrong?

Baww Kratos is broken because I don't know how to block, dodge, or get up in his face because he's better midrange than anything?

How come Sly is so good with that overpowered stealth tech even though he can't block at all and his setups are obvious?

Come on people. Use the tools the game gives you. Practice.

Just. Anything but calling the game broken. Sackboy has a LVL3 that can get up to 6 kills but has to wait until that level and most of his tech is hard to land and is mostly about traps.

I just played a game as Drake against a Sackboy and a Dante. I threw sack around enough that his AP didn't raise until the very end, and I still won because I was actively attacking and deciding on using LVL1's and 2's.

By the time someone saves up for a 3, you should have already gotten a few kills under your belt and trying to throw them. The latter is fucking free AP!

You know what broken is? Art of Fighting 3's comeback system. You could two-to-three shot a person when you are at 1/4 health.

Vysetron

Neo Member
How much longer are people going to keep using the words "Broken" and "Overpowered" wrong?

Baww Kratos is broken because I don't know how to block, dodge, or get up in his face because he's better midrange than anything?

How come Sly is so good with that overpowered stealth tech even though he can't block at all and his setups are obvious?

Just. Anything but calling the game broken. Sackboy has a LVL3 that can get up to 6 kills but has to wait until that level and most of his tech is hard to land and is mostly about traps.

I just played a game as Drake against a Sackboy and a Dante. I threw sack around enough that his AP didn't raise until the very end, and I still won because I was actively attacking and deciding on using LVL1's and 2's.

By the time someone saves up for a 3, you should have already gotten a few kills under your belt and trying to throw them. The latter is fucking free AP!

You know what broken is? Art of Fighting 3's comeback system. You could two-to-three shot a person when you are at 1/4 health.

THANK YOU. I feel like I have to say this about every new fighter that comes out. Of course the zoning/trap character is going to seem strong early on, doesn't mean Sacko needs nerfing. Ditto Kratos and the homing chain, ditto Raiden and his easy combos, ditto Sly and his invis setups (for god's sake, you can SEE him). Play the game, people.

Also, is this thread a bad place for writeups? I ask because they can be pretty long. I could write it elsewhere and link it once I get around to it, that'd probably save thread space.

Edit: do people really think Sacko always gets 6 kills? Unless you're on Dojo or some tiny practice stage that's a completely ridiculous assumption. Do they not realize they can move in the bubbles? You're not fast, but neither is he and the only vertical attack he has is the grapple. You're going to die once, that's almost for certain, but it's a fucking level 3, he's earned at least that much. And you probably deserve it for not tossing him when you had the chance.

TheMink

Absolutely, and mathematically speaking its much more efficient to go for the lvl 1s and 2s as i pointed out in the OP.

It costs 600 AP to do sacks lvl 3 and that grants him 6 kills.

It costs 100 AP to do his lvl 1, if you were to get a 1.5 kill average with that you would immediately become more efficient than going for the lvl 3.

Additionally going to 2v2 brings the most kills you can get with the lvl 3 to 4.
However if you were good enough the 1.5 lvl 1 super kill average could still be maintained. Making it INSANELY more efficient to go for the lvl 1.

Even if you were to get 5/6 kills with 600 ap worth of lvl 1 supers you would still be one up from if you put all 600 into the 3.

Just sayin.

Crash, Cloud and Tate revealed.

Tate?!? Goddamit.

Vodh

Just because you've won a game against a terrible sackboy who has let you throw him to no end doesn't mean his Lv3 is fine.

I refuse to say such and such character is op until they fix simple things like throws depleting the proper AP everytime. Sackboy and kratos seem very overpowered when I can't counteract their AP gain.

I do still take issue with the priority kratos has. He seriously just runs through attacks. His chain grab would be fine if it was cancelable, instead it moves through everything. He has other attacks that also make him seemingly invincible. My stance has always been if I can stuff supers there is no reason I shpuldnt be able to stuff normal attacks.

Nope. Disagree, Sackboy and Kratos players have it way too easy. There is undeniable tier list here, with Kratos and Sackboy at the top, and it's not because the majority are actually skilled at it.

In no way should a character requiring less AP for a level 3 be able to: blaze through kills without challenge when other characters have to struggle to meet higher AP needs just to deal with dodging and dashing. This has nothing to do with going after a Sackboy, using grapples (which dont even fucking work half of the time when I play as Drake), and keeping the pressure on him. I've dealt and beat Sackboys and Kratos players. Doesn't mean that they should have it any easier. I see no logic behind easy AP, low meter requirements, easy Supers, and priority attacks.

I dare you to play a Sackboy who actually knows what they are doing, especially 2 of them in a 2v2. This is not a matter of "Oh, I beat a Sackboy player, it's possible". It's a matter of the character fundamentally having an easier time doing things most other characters struggle to do. Kratos' priority is stupidly easy, and Sackboy's Super 3 is cruise control

Edit: do people really think Sacko always gets 6 kills? Unless you're on Dojo or some tiny practice stage that's a completely ridiculous assumption. Do they not realize they can move in the bubbles? You're not fast, but neither is he and the only vertical attack he has is the grapple. You're going to die once, that's almost for certain, but it's a fucking level 3, he's earned at least that much. And you probably deserve it for not tossing him when you had the chance.

Nonsense He IS fast, he can teleport across the whole damn stage INSTANTLY, use a grappling hook for vertical escapes without even having to move there himself (like Big Daddy). None of this is hard to set up or do. How is the super 3 fair when, a low AP building character can run around getting bonus AP and items, destroying characters who pose zero threat, when other level 3's can be whiffed due to freedom of enemy players? The concept of Sackboy getting AP through bubbles is nice, but with how easy it is to do his super, it just becomes flat out silly.

The argument that he deserves to get that many kills also makes no sense when you consider most the other roster's super 3 scenarios. The fact that players most actively go for Sackboy's Super 3 doesn't show that they "earn" those supers, but that those supers are much more easily attainable. There is a reason why most others stick to lower end supers and more Sackboy players attempt to go for his Super 3. And unlike someone like Sweet Tooth, who takes a huge risk going for his Super 3, because his Super 2 is much more wanky, Sackboy can depend easily on his Super 2, which is one of the more guaranteed super 2's in the game. So not only is his level 3 money in the bank, he's got a great net to fall back on should he need it.

Moving in the bubbles doesn't even count. Come on, that's a cruel joke. I mean compare that to Big Daddy's Super 3. Players can move more freely, it doesn't last as long, but worse, Big Daddy's maneuverability requires proper timing on your part. Sackboy? Nope. He is quick and nimble, and can teleport across the whole stage if he wants to. So yeah, he can get an easy 6 kills. The most kills I've gotten off a super was 9 with Sweet Tooth, but guess what? I actually earned that. I timed my character right, and had to mentally outplay my opponents who were trying to dodge me. ST's S3 requires timing. Mess that up, and you sit there watching your slow clunky bot waste time finishing a move animation. I took a big risk going for that Super because if I couldnt make it, I had to hope to god I could get a 3 man kill with a Super 2, which is incredibly unlikely. That's risk vs reward. Not "Get 600 AP and run around like a mad man"

Spinluck

That didn't have a single thing to do why that match up is pure dog shit and talking about raiden when not talking about him at all is dumb as well.

Heihachi having a terrible level 1 has nothing to do with that match up? Ok cool. It's not like this game revolves around landing Supers or anything.

And yes, I'm dumb for thinking Raiden is OP, even though I was making a joke. You're on a role QisTopTier, tell me how I'm dumb for thinking some characters are broken..

Watch out guys, don't discuss a game that is the topic of conversation on a message board. It is dumb!! No matter the context, don't reference other characters either!!

I seriously don't understand the thought process behind Raiden.

- Fast and agile
- Quick attacks
- High damage
- Easy combos
- Sword has good range and swings in a wide arc
- Level 1 has barely any startup frames, stays out forever, attacks both sides with pretty good range and can catch enemies coming down from the air, and as far as I can tell can't be punished if it whiffs
- Level 2 is basically guaranteed 2-3 kills if you throw it out when the group is bunched up, plus the opportunity for more kills afterwards
- Level 3 is like the only thing that isn't blatantly overpowered

Like how did they not look at this character and say, "Hey, this guy is completely broken in every single way possible." Literally the only "disadvantage" he has is his lack of projectiles, but that hardly matters when he can cross the map so fast with his dive kick.

The only thing I can figure is that Konami said that he could only be in the game if he was undeniably the best character.

I have no clue, he might not gain AP as fast as Kratos, but he doesn't have too many weaknesses. My friend tried arguing with me that he's better than Kratos, but I disagreed because Kratos just has waaay too much going with him.

But yeah, it frustrates me when a character has tons of ways to set up a pretty good level 1, and another has like only 1 real way to set up a really bad level 1.

I wonder how long it is till the 1st patch comes out. I rather them not take the nerf approach as it can ruin characters. But take the XCOM Enemy Unknown approach, and buff the characters that need it and see how they fight against the supposedly OP'd characters. One thing that could be nerfed and tweaked on the fly is AP gain, which is fine. As far as the actual movesets, I think they should be really really careful. Just my thoughts, they probably know that they're doing better than I lol. I'm just surprised with on the play testing, they let some of these things fly.

Noi

Absolutely, and mathematically speaking its much more efficient to go for the lvl 1s and 2s as i pointed out in the OP.

It costs 600 AP to do sacks lvl 3 and that grants him 6 kills.

It costs 100 AP to do his lvl 1, if you were to get a 1.5 kill average with that you would immediately become more efficient than going for the lvl 3.

Additionally going to 2v2 brings the most kills you can get with the lvl 3 to 4.
However if you were good enough the 1.5 lvl 1 super kill average could still be maintained. Making it INSANELY more efficient to go for the lvl 1.

Even if you were to get 5/6 kills with 600 ap worth of lvl 1 supers you would still be one up from if you put all 600 into the 3.

Just sayin.

All the mathematical theory in the world goes out the window when your character has a garbage level 1 that any half-decent player will never get hit by outside of the few that can be combo'd into. With how easy it is to gain AP as Sackboy, it is much MUCH more reliable to go for his Level 2/3 than his level 1, more so when his level 2 is one of the best in the game.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
The community for this game is really small and segmented right now so there really isn't one resource to go to for that kind of stuff. We actually were supposed to do write ups for each character after release but I guess no one got around to it.

I'm still working my way around Ratchet, but I'll try and have something up within the next week.

Then I'm moving on to Good Cole. I figure spending a solid 2 weeks with each character will give me a nice base to start with.

TheMink

All the mathematical theory in the world goes out the window when your character has a garbage level 1 that any half-decent player will never get hit by outside of the few that can be combo'd into. With how easy it is to gain AP as Sackboy, it is much MUCH more reliable to go for his Level 2/3 than his level 1, more so when his level 2 is one of the best in the game.

Right, which is why the lvl 3 exists, its easy and reliable. But sack actually has a couple good options for his lvl 1 so i think its definitely within the realm of reason.

To the bolded, just so everyone knows, characters that can combo into their lvl 1:

Raiden
Kratos
Good Cole
Evil Cole
Dante
Hiehachi
Fat Princess
Spike
Big Daddy (kinda not really, the ice move does technically work)
Sackboy
Parappa (highly situational though, its a wall bounce)

The rest have some set ups, but not true combos (as far as i know), so over half the cast can combo into their lvl 1 super. Definitely not a few.

Drencrom

Yeah no, Kratos is really easy to use and OP.

His chain attacks have good range and are fast, his chain grab have good range and homes like 180 degrees and with high priority. All his supers are good, his AP gain is fast etc.
There's a reason why most players play as Kratos. At least nerf his AP gain a bit and his chain grab. I'm tired of mostly playing against Kratos, Raiden, Dante and Coles online Superbot!

On the other hand; Sir Dan, Jak (and partly Heihachi) needs a buff bad

Nope. Disagree, Sackboy and Kratos players have it way too easy. There is undeniable tier list here, with Kratos and Sackboy at the top, and it's not because the majority are actually skilled at it.

Agreed.

Throwing doesn't drain enough AP. And saying 'just throw Sackboy!' isn't a real counter because if that was a truly practical counter, then no-one would get level 3s, because you'd be able to stop every character from getting their level 3 just by throwing them.

(Also a problem, not being able to throw in the air. There's nothing to stop Sackboy jumping/teleporting away to the other side of the stage and then throwing more cakes.)

Also Sackboy has the lowest AP requirements for his level 3: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/psas-system-mechanics-thread.172642/

And some characters like Heihachi and Spike cannot get more than three kills for their level 3. Sackboy can comfortably get more than 3 and the ones I've played against are routinely getting 5 kills with his level 3 (and then those kills grant him orbs, which go towards his level 3 and again, his level 3 has the lowest AP requirement in the game).

I agree that kneejerk tweaks to balance/tiers is a bad thing, as the game needs time to settle, counters to strategies need to be discovered, etc. But Sackboy is definitely one of the best characters in the game.

Vysetron

Neo Member
Nonsense He IS fast, he can teleport across the whole damn stage INSTANTLY, use a grappling hook for vertical escapes without even having to move there himself (like Big Daddy). None of this is hard to set up or do. How is the super 3 fair when, a low AP building character can run around getting bonus AP and items, destroying characters who pose zero threat, when other level 3's can be whiffed due to freedom of enemy players? The concept of Sackboy getting AP through bubbles is nice, but with how easy it is to do his super, it just becomes flat out silly.

The argument that he deserves to get that many kills also makes no sense when you consider most the other roster's super 3 scenarios. The fact that players most actively go for Sackboy's Super 3 doesn't show that they "earn" those supers, but that those supers are much more easily attainable. There is a reason why most others stick to lower end supers and more Sackboy players attempt to go for his Super 3. And unlike someone like Sweet Tooth, who takes a huge risk going for his Super 3, because his Super 2 is much more wanky, Sackboy can depend easily on his Super 2, which is one of the more guaranteed super 2's in the game. So not only is his level 3 money in the bank, he's got a great net to fall back on should he need it.

Moving in the bubbles doesn't even count. Come on, that's a cruel joke. I mean compare that to Big Daddy's Super 3. Players can move more freely, it doesn't last as long, but worse, Big Daddy's maneuverability requires proper timing on your part. Sackboy? Nope. He is quick and nimble, and can teleport across the whole stage if he wants to. So yeah, he can get an easy 6 kills.

Let me address some of these points, because this is getting kind of old.

Sackboy isn't especially nimble. The closest he he has to a non-standard movement option is the jetpack, and that sucks. The teleport requires him to set it up ahead of time, meaning he'd have to drop it and cross the entire stage, which he's bad at. And he still has to get the meter in the first place, which he largely earns through tagging people with cakes and jam. These are just not hard to avoid, and his combos are nowhere near as high-earning as other characters.

I also see no issue with a character being based on going for the higher level supers. Why would that be a problem? Different characters should play differently. Sackboy's level 1 is tricky to use, and while his level 2 is great it's only _so_ much further to 3 after, so I can understand that decision. And a lot of characters have good level 2s and 3s, Sweet Tooth is just a terrible example. I'd know, I play him.

As far as the level 3 itself goes, yes, it's undeniably better than some. But a major reason for that is because Sackboy's other supers are iffy, like I said. You can pretty much guarantee a kill or two with the level 2, but he lacks proper setups unless someone lands on an electrical pad. He also only has hitconfirms with the level 1 against like, 3 characters. To use your example, Big Daddy has a level 1 with setups (though it's still not a great super), a level 2 that has the potential for high payoff, and actual combos, armor, etc. that let him hang in a fight. And the success of any multikill level 3 is very reliant on the stage. On a large stage like Stowaways or Columbia, Sackboy is going to have to run around and catch people who are scattered everywhere, giving other players a chance to float up. Yes it's slow, but it's not useless. And he's only going to have a maximum of one teleport because that's just how it works.

If anything about this super is going to be adjusted it should be the cost. It's pretty odd that a multi-kill super costs the same as a screen clear (Parappa, Heihachi, etc.) And for the record, I don't play Sacko. He's not really conducive to how I like to play. But I've fought plenty of them in 2v2 especially and won most of my matches. I just think it's ridiculous that people are acting like he's unquestionably the best character. I've played games where that's happened (Pet Shop in Jojo's, for example), and this isn't one. He's very good, that's undeniable, but not broken or anything like that.

TheMink

I was thinking a cool thing for sacks lvl 3 would be, they are in the bubble for the first round of kills then second round characters are given full control over their characters and sackboy must you the "bubblenator" to bubbleize them and then he has to collect them.

Or something, idk.

Also, just in case some people missed it, i wanted to make sure everyone knew that Dreweyes avatars are in the OP and have been for some time if people want to get down on that.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
If I'm playing on Vita, am I playing against PS3 players when I play online? Won my first match last night (Ratchet is awesome) and I was wondering this. OP had no answers

Noi

Does anyone want to play some 1on1s?

I need Sackboy experience, you're on. >:O

Sackboy isn't especially nimble. The closest he he has to a non-standard movement option is the jetpack, and that sucks.

Up circle Bounce pad. Great way to start your argument by forgetting/not knowing all his moves.

The teleport requires him to set it up ahead of time, meaning he'd have to drop it and cross the entire stage, which he's bad at.

Which he can do at any time, even leaving it in places where it's hard to see, not just right before he uses his level 3.

And he still has to get the meter in the first place, which he largely earns through tagging people with cakes and jam. These are just not hard to avoid, and his combos are nowhere near as high-earning as other characters.

I also see no issue with a character being based on going for the higher level supers. Why would that be a problem? Different characters should play differently. Sackboy's level 1 is tricky to use, and while his level 2 is great it's only _so_ much further to 3 after, so I can understand that decision. And a lot of characters have good level 2s and 3s, Sweet Tooth is just a terrible example. I'd know, I play him.

Except no one is complaining about a character having a different playstyle. The complaint is that Sackboy's level and 3 supers are ridiculously safe combined with his great AP gain. When Sackboy uses his level 2, if he has a specific target in mind, he's going to get the kill he wants no matter what because of how good it is. You can't even counter his super because he can just spawn the flame blocks all over himself, and can immediately move again with no delay while the flame blocks are STILL in place.

As far as the level 3 itself goes, yes, it's undeniably better than some. But a major reason for that is because Sackboy's other supers are iffy, like I said.

His level 1 is iffy. His level 2 isn't. Read above as to why.

You can pretty much guarantee a kill or two with the level 2, but he lacks proper setups unless someone lands on an electrical pad.

Again, see above. He doesn't need a hitconfirm on his level 2 when he can near immediately place it anywhere he wants, and barely a way to dodge it. A hitconfirm into his level 2 would only be even more rdiculous.[/quote[

Big Daddy has a level 1 with setups (though it's still not a great super), a level 2 that has the potential for high payoff, and actual combos, armor, etc. that let him hang in a fight.

Potential is the keyword here. It's still very possible for Big Daddy to use his level 2 and not get a single kill. Hell, it's possible for Kratos/ST to use their level 3's and not get a single kill. I have not once seen a Sackboy use his level 2/3 and not get any kills. You'd have to be purposefully not trying to kill anyone.

And the success of any multikill level 3 is very reliant on the stage. On a large stage like Stowaways or Columbia, Sackboy is going to have to run around and catch people who are scattered everywhere, giving other players a chance to float up. Yes it's slow, but it's not useless. And he's only going to have a maximum of one teleport because that's just how it works.

It's not an issue because of how slow you float up. Pretty much the only way you can avoid getting killed by Sackboy's level 3 is by already being high up when he uses the super. If he kills you even once, you're going to spawn on the ground in a bubble again and will likely get killed again. With the bounce pad you forgot to mention, it's not hard for Sackboy to cross stages vertically. As an example, take Raiden's level 3. Everyone is put in a box for their first kill, but then they spawn and can move around freely. They can still get killed again, but it's not giving Raiden extra free kills for just walking normally. He still has to put in the effort to land an attack.

He's not really conducive to how I like to play. But I've fought plenty of them in 2v2 especially and won most of my matches. I just think it's ridiculous that people are acting like he's unquestionably the best character. I've played games where that's happened (Pet Shop in Jojo's, for example), and this isn't one. He's very good, that's undeniable, but not broken or anything like that.

Anectodal evidence like "I play against Sackboys all the time and win" is hardly any proof. A Sackboy that knows what he's doing won't let you toss him and will guarantee getting the AP needed for a level 2/3. That there's one or two characters that might have a tool to maybe knock him out of a corner isn't a valid argument because that still means he can dominate against a majority of the cast.

Nice. I won't lie, it was a pretty great feeling to beat 3 people with characters ranked above 200 with my lowly 16 rank Ratchet. This game is fun as hell on Vita.

Agreed, I never thought I would actually prefer the Vita version over the ps3 one. It sucked at the beginning though, when I always did a super when I wanted to pick up an item :p

Let me address some of these points, because this is getting kind of old.

Sackboy isn't especially nimble.

He doesnt have to be. He is nimble enough at his Super 3, when no one can stop him. His gadgets allow him to move quick enough. He is one of the more quicker players in the game

The teleport requires him to set it up ahead of time, meaning he'd have to drop it and cross the entire stage, which he's bad at.

Not as hard as you make it sound. Nor does he have to move himself with the way you get thrown around in this game. He can reach high spots and place spawn points anywhere. I dont recall if he can do it while using his Super 3, but it's not difficult to set up spawn points to up his maneuverability considerably for a super 3

And he still has to get the meter in the first place, which he largely earns through tagging people with cakes and jam. These are just not hard to avoid, and his combos are nowhere near as high-earning as other characters.

Just like everyone else, but with less of a requirement. His combos dont NEED to be high earning when his requirement is much lower. Nor is Sackboy a combo character. His trap moves more than make up for this. Funny enough, I'm pretty sure you can combo with Sackboy anyway

You missed my point regarding: AP gain, AP requirement, ease of use, reliability, and dependency. If you dont want to use Sweet Tooth, I feel that most the other roster works just as well when it comes to the fundamental issues people have with Sackboy. Raiden, E Cole, Jak, Kratos even, Fat Princess, Screen Kill characters (who u admit have the same AP requirement, but only get 3 kills), Sir Dan, Nariko, Dante. All of whom have super 3's that can be dodged, all of which have a weakness that puts up a challenge. All of whom have to work harder to get to their supers, none of whom get rewarded bonus AP for whiffing their super.

As far as the level 3 itself goes, yes, it's undeniably better than some.

It's undeniably better than all

But a major reason for that is because Sackboy's other supers are iffy, like I said.

No, they aren't. If he can hit confirm his super 1, then he really becomes an all around character. Regardless, his Super 2 is really good, since it can be placed at will precisely, and with the scaling of his Super 3, the interdependency of both supers removes any major risk of going and failing to reach a super 3.

You can pretty much guarantee a kill or two with the level 2, but he lacks proper setups unless someone lands on an electrical pad.

Not true, he can place that super down in really tight situations, guaranteeing kills

He also only has hitconfirms with the level 1 against like, 3 characters.
To use your example, Big Daddy has a level 1 with setups (though it's still not a great super), a level 2 that has the potential for high payoff, and actual combos, armor, etc. that let him hang in a fight. And the success of any multikill level 3 is very reliant on the stage. On a large stage like Stowaways or Columbia, Sackboy is going to have to run around and catch people who are scattered everywhere, giving other players a chance to float up. Yes it's slow, but it's not useless. And he's only going to have a maximum of one teleport because that's just how it works.

As it stands now, I dont feel like he should be able to hit confirm at all considering how easily he can build to his super 2, he's got enough going for him, but that's overly harsh and besides the main points of criticism.

Big Daddy's level 2 can be dodged more easily, requires more timing on your part, can be countered and even can backfire (falling off a stage, bumping into things). And it's a much better alternative than his super 3 all things considered. Your point about the success of the stage is relational, if Sackboy has a hard time, so does everyone else, but in relativity, Sackboy always has an easier time than most others. The simple fact is that even if he somehow screws up the super, he GAINS AP-- his super 3 rewards him with defenseless players, items, and free AP. This point still stands. His requirement is ludicrously low. He can quite nimbly get those that float up with his teleports, jump pads, and grabinator-- compare this to Big Daddy's super 3. One teleport is one too many when it comes to his Super 3, and guess what he's doing in between all that time chasing players? Gaining AP and items for himself and his partner.

I just think it's ridiculous that people are acting like he's unquestionably the best character.

Who do you think is the best? He most certainly tops the list along with Kratos. It's simply the fact that Sackboy is a less input/highest output character. You put relatively less work into a character like Sackboy and somehow gain more than other characters.

I also want to add, in his older previews, characters were hidden like Raiden's Super 3. For some weird ass reason, I am 90% sure Raiden's level 3 randomizes the placement of your character in the box, so Raiden has to waste time hacking to find the box with the enemies in it. But Sackboy? Lol.

Vysetron

Neo Member
Not gonna quote all that, sorry Noi! For the record, I'm aware of the bounce pad. He still doesn't have great horizontal movement, and that's what I was addressing. Also, a lot of my points were in response to Time Effect, so taking them out of context is an issue.

Not writing more on this at the moment, but my goodness people here are salty. Game's been out a week, take it easy.

Edit: I don't think anyone is the best right now, Time. It's too early to say. Sackboy relies on projectiles and traps which are pretty easy to get around, even if it makes catching him a huge pain in the ass. And I don't find Kratos very scary either, but that's a topic for another time, haha.

bakedpony

Not gonna quote all that, sorry Noi! For the record, I'm aware of the bounce pad. He still doesn't have great horizontal movement, and that's what I was addressing. Also, a lot of my points were in response to Time Effect, so taking them out of context is an issue.

Not writing more on this at the moment, but my goodness people here are salty. Game's been out a week, take it easy.

I think it's clear Sackboy's level 3 needs to be addressed. The amount of complaints is really overwhelming and the arguments are very hard to bring down.

Top Bottom