• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

Noi

That wouldn't work. What would Heihachi be doing?

..Attacking? I'm not talking about controlling Kuma 1:1, he can still automatically move to the closest opponent like he does now. I mean using him like a stand where you can press a button and Kuma would perform an attack tied to that button, while you're still in control of Heihachi. It beats the hell out of having Kuma constantly try to attack a fleeing target and make it easier to avoid him in the process.

Spinluck

Kuma is way too inconsistent. Sometimes he uses the right moves to attack, and sometimes he makes me scratch my head.

A little bit of control would be nice.

My brother knows exactly how to fool and expose the Kuma's AI, and dodges him almost every time. Other players who aren't good at dodging are as good as dead.
But most players will dodge and laugh at him on bigger stages.

The Lamp

This game is very...odd. It definitely feels low-budget, with the plain layout and menu design (then again, Sakurai/HAL's layouts were always shit). It's fun but I think I keep trying to attack like in Smash Bros. and it's punishing me. I can't make combos like I want to and grabbing/shielding feels very slow in comparison. I started out playing with Nathan Drake and his moveset is so strange. The square button FEELS like a hand-to-hand melee button (like the A button for Smash Bros.) but then his up-square throws a grenade which feels off in response to the action I want to make. It probably just takes getting used to.

Toro is really fun.

The items are shallow and uninspired. Some of them seem to only have one possible attack/animation? That's kind of boring.

The stages are the best part. They are awesome and their transformations are awesome.

The story mode is bland and laughable; it's apparent that they threw it in to try to just make a "campaign" for each character. I don't mind, but I hope next time they put a bit of effort into it.

I wish it had more items and game modes.

Hoping for DLC.

The strategy is very different from Smash. When you're playing a stock match and you each have one life left and the other person has a super, you're just like omg, run. You feel helpless and you don't want to approach them lol. In Smash I had a bit more boldness to attack, even with high damage percentile because the goal was to get them off the stage.

Is there a way to run in this game? I feel like there's just moving with the analog stick and it feels sorta slow at times. There aren't any characters as quick as the fast ones in Smash.

These are just initial impressions. Haven't played online yet.

I'd make Kuma's attacks be controllable by Heihachi's inputs as opposed to him being completely AI controlled. At least then you could have Kuma doing an optimal attack in any situation as opposed to him flailing all over the place.

nah. doesnt make sense to me.

PowderedToast

This game is very...odd. It definitely feels low-budget, with the plain layout and menu design. It's fun but I think I keep trying to attack like in Smash Bros. and it's punishing me. I can't make combos like I want to and grabbing/shielding feels very slow in comparison. I started out playing with Nathan Drake and his moveset is so strange. The square button FEELS like a hand-to-hand melee button (like the A button for Smash Bros.) but then his up-square throws a grenade which feels off in response to the action I want to make. It probably just takes getting used to.
seth killian spoke on weekend confirmed about the controls and how they're different from smash. something about how they prioritized making sure each character was accurately expressed rather than keeping to a unified consistent control input like in smash

it takes a while to get used to but after spending a while with the game i'm very happy they went with that

SmithnCo

Is there a way to run in this game? I feel like there's just moving with the analog stick and it feels sorta slow at times. There aren't any characters as quick as the fast ones in Smash.

No, but there are attacks that can speed up traversal, like Drake's zipline and whatnot.

I agree that it's harder to pick-up and play each character, because you have to spend some time figuring out the "logic" behind their moves set-up. For instance Cole has one face button dedicated to ice attacks, and Dante with guns, etc. And there are some "recovery" moves but they all aren't mapped to the same input like Smash. So it takes a little while to actually figure out and process what the moves do and what they are, but it's decently rewarding when you do.

This game is very...odd. It definitely feels low-budget, with the plain layout and menu design (then again, Sakurai/HAL's layouts were always shit). It's fun but I think I keep trying to attack like in Smash Bros. and it's punishing me. I can't make combos like I want to and grabbing/shielding feels very slow in comparison. I started out playing with Nathan Drake and his moveset is so strange. The square button FEELS like a hand-to-hand melee button (like the A button for Smash Bros.) but then his up-square throws a grenade which feels off in response to the action I want to make. It probably just takes getting used to.

Toro is really fun.

The items are shallow and uninspired. Some of them seem to only have one possible attack/animation? That's kind of boring.

The stages are the best part. They are awesome and their transformations are awesome.

The story mode is bland and laughable; it's apparent that they threw it in to try to just make a "campaign" for each character. I don't mind, but I hope next time they put a bit of effort into it.

I wish it had more items and game modes.

Hoping for DLC.

The strategy is very different from Smash. When you're playing a stock match and you each have one life left and the other person has a super, you're just like omg, run. You feel helpless and you don't want to approach them lol. In Smash I had a bit more boldness to attack, even with high damage percentile because the goal was to get them off the stage.

1) Nathan is pretty good once you get time, the up grenade is kind of weird but you learn to not push it unless you need to.

2) Toro is one of my favorite characters, easily. Shame he is prbly mid-tier for serious play. Here's a tip for just starting off toro - use chef stance for awesome mochi attacks (mid/close range) and ninja stance for long/mid rang characters.

3) Story mode is expected for a fighting game. Same thing as MVC3.

4) Game modes would be nice but since I pretty much play Stocks/no items im eh. I just want the ability to choose more options in general i guess.

5) Have fun online. =D

Spinluck

I know, man. So maddening. Down grab seems to work though (the leg flip)

Thanks, I'm gonna give it a try next time.

If only I knew this before :'(

seth killian spoke on weekend confirmed about the controls and how they're different from smash. something about how they prioritized making sure each character was accurately expressed rather than keeping to a unified consistent control input like in smash

it takes a while to get used to but after spending a while with the game i'm very happy they went with that

Yup, it definitely feels that way.

That's why I believe it's harder to main multiple characters in this game, than Smash. And when I mean main, I mean get really really good with that character.

In Smash I was good with most of the roster, no matter which Smash it was. That's mainly because the result of input was similar. And the character where more constricted to the controls.

In this, aside from Cole and Evil Cole, the characters feel vastly different.

Good news. Apparently All-Stars ranked third (behind FIFA 13 and Hitman) in this week's European digital download chart.

Fuck yes, FUCK YES!!!

This game always felt like it belonged in my hard drive more than anything. That way my lazy ass wouldn't have to swap disc whenever I wanted to play it.

It's quite deceiving that NPD's don't include digital software.

Your opponents have been looking for you in the tournament thread for the past 3 days. I think they're quite pertubed.

Wtffffff. Obsolete hasnt been around since 2 days. I waited Wednesday, when I was free, but didnt receive a PM or anything so I thought people were too busy. I didnt think to check on the community forum :$

is it too late to find a new partner? D:

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You win by landing Supers, yes there are varying factors, there are varying factors to almost anything. In sports, basketball, soccer, football. The person who scores more, wins. Are there different ways of scoring? Yes, are there obstacles to getting that score? Yes. But in the end, it's who has the most points.

Can't attempt to score a point if you never have the ball, Ratchets throw beats EVERYTHING *or fucks up and makes the moves work bad* that Heihachi does. So Hei is pretty much sitting at close to 0 meter the entire match. Has nothing to do with Heis super and more with the fact he can't even gain a super. The super being "shitty" is irrelevant to the match up. This tossed in the fact that Ratchet has other tools besides a throw fucks over heihachi BAD in the fight.

Time I can sit in for Obsolete if you want.

Wtffffff. Obsolete hasnt been around since 2 days. I waited Wednesday, when I was free, but didnt receive a PM or anything so I thought people were too busy. I didnt think to check on the community forum :$

is it too late to find a new partner? D:

If you can find one like, right now as a substitute for Obsolete, then you can play. However, Ob must play with you in future matches (you DID sign up together), and you need to let him know that what you did and where his position in the tournament is when you can reach him.

Also, BROTIP FOR ALL: SUBSCRIBE TO THE OFFICIAL TOURNAMENT COMMUNITY THREAD. NEWS, UPDATES AND SUCH WILL GO THERE, NOT HERE.

Spinluck

The hell?

I just saw a LittleBigPlanet Karting commercial..

They advertise that, and not this?

Anyone looking for a good kart racer should go out and grab Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. It's a hell of a game, yeah, it lacks the create in plan element of LBPK. But it is easily the better game, hot damn it's fun.

Anyways, really Sony? Really?

If you can find one like, right now as a substitute for Obsolete, then you can play. However, Ob must play with you in future matches (you DID sign up together), and you need to let him know that what you did and where his position in the tournament is when you can reach him.

Also, BROTIP FOR ALL: SUBSCRIBE TO THE OFFICIAL TOURNAMENT COMMUNITY THREAD. NEWS, UPDATES AND SUCH WILL GO THERE, NOT HERE.

Ok, got a sub. Im ready

alterno69

Banned
Regarding the doference in moves the characters have, i like they went that route, makes sense IMO and makes me wanna try every character, it also means there's a chance you will find a character just right for you. For example i reallu like Heiachis moves, sure he has shit rnage but i just hage a lot of fun seeing him fight.

I'm still around fellas. Someone just needs to pm me a time and a date for a match. Having a sick 5 month old takes up a lot of time right now. Lol. It's cool if you want a different partner time effect. I have no ill will. I hope to be on more consistent soon.

In fact I plan to be on tonight if anyone is up for some 2v2 action.

does anyone have the sir dan gif where he's done the winning jig??
zETii.gif

How do you do Raiden's UT > change direction US? I never seem to be able to switch direction in time. Is it like less than 3 frame timing or something?

The Lamp

I'm already missing the game. Wtf. It is kind of addicting.

If there's a game that I want there to be a sequel of sometime down the line, it's this. Thankfully there's lots of room for improvement with patches and DLC.

I'm still around fellas. Someone just needs to pm me a time and a date for a match. Having a sick 5 month old takes up a lot of time right now. Lol. It's cool if you want a different partner time effect. I have no ill will. I hope to be on more consistent soon.

In fact I plan to be on tonight if anyone is up for some 2v2 action.

Dont worry, we won :p

And I'm not leaving you behind, my Princess.

I'll be on for some more 2v2 tonight, but Im taking a quick break

Good games Scrafty! Ugh...getting kills and catching up with Toro is hard. He really needs a super that gives him more than one KO opportunity. But I won't give up!

OK this is REALLY bugging me:

Enemies are getting small amounts of AP when they are getting beaten up! Wth is that?? It's very noticeable with CPUs since I can play with easiest AI, but they'll be really close to a super, and I'll be doing moves on them, and then they get the super. Is that intended??

>_> But you used Evil Cole before that Sackboy match!

And the online is really starting to bug me. You were teleporting all over and I swear there was one time you threw me and I was still walking around. XD

Enemies are getting small amounts of AP when they are getting beaten up! Wth is that?? It's very noticeable with CPUs since I can play with easiest AI, but they'll be really close to a super, and I'll be doing moves on them, and then they get the super. Is that intended??

I've noticed this as well. I have hit people and they gained enough AP to reach their next super level.

SmithnCo

I assume it is intended as a kind of subtle "comeback" system. I don't really care for it much either.

>_> But you used Evil Cole before that Sackboy match!

And the online is really starting to bug me. You were teleporting all over and I swear there was one time you threw me and I was still walking around. XD

Eh, it was just once and just because I didn't know how good your Toro was.

You need to teach me how to grab properly someday. You were pullin' 'em off left and right, whereas I'd whiff about every one -_-

Top Bottom