• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

KalBalboa

Banned
I think it's clear Sackboy's level 3 needs to be addressed. The amount of complaints is really overwhelming and the arguments are very hard to bring down.

True. It was only a week ago that Kratos and Raiden were seemingly overpowered, but people got better and can outclass them.

Sackboy might just need an AP adjustment to make things better. I still have no trouble with his projectile attacks, though.

SykoTech

IIRC, originally Sackboy's Level 3 would only trap characters in a bubble the first time (similar to Raiden's Level 3). At least that's how Sackboy's debut trailer made it seem, as Jak & Daxter respawn normally after being killed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AGDRQIKkeE

They probably should have left it that way, and given Sackboy another means of attacking during the Level 3 to make 3+ kills possible.

Leezard

So the most unhilarious bug happened. Me and Drencrom played Ratchet + Parappa, and once we got into the game, both of us were Kratos with the same skin and colors.

WHY

Yeah, i have no problem with his AP gain or anything. Hell, if it pulls a Raiden, and you aren't in a bubble on the respawn, i'm totally cool with that.

Kouichi

Decrease the duration and increase the speed the players stuck in bubbles can move then the super will be fine. The level 3 is the only problem with Sackboy, in my opinion.

KalBalboa

Banned
IIRC, originally Sackboy's Level 3 would only trap characters in a bubble the first time (similar to Raiden's Level 3). At least that's how Sackboy's debut trailer made it seem, as Jak & Daxter respawn normally after being killed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AGDRQIKkeE

They probably should have left it that way, and given Sackboy another means of attacking during the Level 3 to make 3+ kills possible.

That sounds perfect. While he'd only get three kills, he always gets the bonus AP and pickups too.

Vodh

It's pretty obvious that the movement when you're trapped in the bubble is meaningless. And being stunned for that long without the ability to do anything that would meaningfully increase your chances is just simply bad game design - players don't like when you take away the control of their character from them for an extended period of time, and since that's the only case of this occurring in the game I'd say Superbot just slipped but are generally aware of that.

Noi

AnkiRendan just now almost got 3 kills in a 3 stock 1v1 with one level 3 because the game spawned me right next to him all 3 times. :|

Leezard

Character selection is seriously bugged. We got Raiden + Heihachi now. :/
We won with them at least, Drencrom is great with Heihachi and Raiden is not hard to play, even though it was my first time with him.

Noi

ggs anki. Pretty much all of them down to the wire. Yet another BS Sackboy thing I noticed, Radec's sniper shots get stopped by the shockpads, but they don't hurt the pad. So I can't snipe a Sackboy standing behind one. Woooooooo.

Also, hilarious that the first match I win is with Sir Dan.

Edit: Huh. I just now put what I typed above to the test in Practice mode and the sniper shots aren't getting blocked by the shockpads... Fucking netcode shenanigans, I tell you what.

Good games! Yeah, on a small level like Resistance it's very possible to score 3 kills in a 1 on 1, especially if one is smart enough to set up a teleport and a bounce pad before going for their level 3.

I have to say though, zoner vs zoner matches are seriously fun. XD

Character selection is seriously bugged. We got Raiden + Heihachi now. :/
We won with them at least, Drencrom is great with Heihachi and Raiden is not hard to play, even though it was my first time with him.

Me and my brother both got Kratos in ranked free for all, and one of our opponents was also kratos... We quit before the match loaded, they seriously need to fix that random character bug.

Noi

Good games! Yeah, on a small level like Resistance it's very possible to score 3 kills in a 1 on 1, especially if one is smart enough to set up a teleport and a bounce pad before going for their level 3.

Aye. The shit one can get away with that due to janky netcode wouldn't fly in local fights can be a bit irritating though. :p

Yeah, there were quite a bit of times when you were teleporting around and I was like "Buh?" It's so hard to pull off Toro Henshin Cancels online too. :(

Sackboy vs Sackboy vs Sackboy vs Sackboy in FFA is the most fun I've had playing anything for a looooong long time

Raonak

Banned
Trying heihachi. such a different playstyle than drake. all about comboing and close range fighting. trying to get counters down aswell, only half succeeding.

One thing, his supers suck. Kuma is the only good one, and a skilled player can avoid him. hes too random, sometimes getting me 6 kills, others just 1.

how do you combo into his lv1? because it's absolutely shit.

Moofers

Got this game two days ago and I am in LOVE. Its soooo super charming and full of awesome surprises. Really enjoying it and hoping it does well enough to get a sequel. Its fantastic!

I dunno what they can do with Kuma. On some stages it's even worse than ST lvl 2 and on some he is a beast especially if Heihachi can do some helping.

Remember guys that you can avoid the wrong character glitch by cancelling game search if it backs from ''opponents found'' to ''searching opponents''.

I'm glad that Parappa has no real problems with Sackboy. You can outmanouver him, reflect cakes easily and micgrab him from a corner. I agree that his lvl 3 should allow normal movement after death but I strongly disagree with Noi. His lvl 2 is fine as it is and way harder to get multiple kills than many other lvl2 if opponents are aware.

So I play pretty much stock exclusively because eff time limits. Got down to me (Toro) and kratos who exclusively used f+square. So i switched to ninja stance and everytime he went for it id block, scorpion grab him, up shurikens and then bicycle kick him. Then drop lvl 2's all up on him after I'd back him into a corner.

So beautiful, So stupid. So easy.
8231217426_a54cb0ddfb.jpg

TBH based on kratos and Toro's moves i should have been stomped to hell and back but I figure I've had enough time to learn the stances and become pretty decent.

The Lamp

I just bought this game by trading in some stuff.

It's sitting there in the shrinkwrap.

Where do I start (after opening the game of course)?

Is there a huge learning curve in this compared to Smash?

I just bought this game by trading in some stuff.

It's sitting there in the shrinkwrap.

Where do I start (after opening the game of course)?

Is there a huge learning curve in this compared to Smash?

Play tutorials, play arcade, go online <3.

The biggest learning difficulty is to learn all supers of all characters and learn how to avoid and expect them. You could start by learning one of the easier characters (Kratos, Raiden, Ratchet, Radec, Sweet Tooth, Fat Princess...?)

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
How much longer are people going to keep using the words "Broken" and "Overpowered" wrong?

Baww Kratos is broken because I don't know how to block, dodge, or get up in his face because he's better midrange than anything?

How come Sly is so good with that overpowered stealth tech even though he can't block at all and his setups are obvious?

Come on people. Use the tools the game gives you. Practice.

Just. Anything but calling the game broken. Sackboy has a LVL3 that can get up to 6 kills but has to wait until that level and most of his tech is hard to land and is mostly about traps.

I just played a game as Drake against a Sackboy and a Dante. I threw sack around enough that his AP didn't raise until the very end, and I still won because I was actively attacking and deciding on using LVL1's and 2's.

By the time someone saves up for a 3, you should have already gotten a few kills under your belt and trying to throw them. The latter is fucking free AP!

You know what broken is? Art of Fighting 3's comeback system. You could two-to-three shot a person when you are at 1/4 health.

Ehh I think Sackboy needs to be toned down definitely. He gains AP very easily. Other than that I don't think anyone is "broken" at least none that I've seen to this point. That being said the game is loaded with glitches.

Sly and Sackboy need to be toned down in their own ways that have been mentioned [countering and Ap Gain respectively]. Kratos and Raiden need to have the priority of some of their attacks lessened, and raiden his level 1 beat to shit with the nerf bat.

Fuck everybody else, they're alright and fun to fight against.

Ehh I think Sackboy needs to be toned down definitely. He gains AP very easily. Other than that I don't think anyone is "broken" at least none that I've seen to this point. That being said the game is loaded with glitches.

Top 3 glitches that NEED to be crushed:

1:Respawn delay. The worst of the worst.
2:Invisible enemy with visible weapons. Rare but the most gamebreaking.
3:Item pickup deny for some players.

Sly and Sackboy need to be toned down in their own ways that have been mentioned [countering and Ap Gain respectively]. Kratos and Raiden need to have the priority of some of their attacks lessened, and raiden his level 1 beat to shit with the nerf bat.
Sly is fine as he is imo.

Napalms fix list for better game. Nothing too radical:
Sackboy: lvl 3 allows normal movement after death.
Kratos: chain grab startup delay something like +0,5-1s.
Sweet Tooth: lvl 2 buff. Either cost drop or buff explosion.
Jak: ap gain slightly buffed. Reduce ap cost for lvl 2 slightly. Add range for some moves.
Sir Dan: I honestly dunno. reduce ap cost of lvl 3, slight ap buff for some moves?
Heihachi: probably very hard to fix but make Kuma less stupid on some stages like Franzea and Tower.
Raiden: Slight startup delay on lvl 1 like Kratos chain grab.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

I've versed people in stock who get 2 kills for 1 super. Sweeth Tooth used his level 1, killed me but it registered twice.

Jak: ap gain slightly buffed. Reduce ap cost for lvl 2 slightly. Add range for some moves.
Sir Dan: I honestly dunno. reduce ap cost of lvl 3, slight ap buff for some moves?
Heihachi: probably very hard to fix but make Kuma less stupid on some stages like Franzea and Tower.

You forgot make throws reliably eject 15% AP everytime.

The Lamp

I like how I don't turn on my PS3 for a couple of weeks and I have to sit there and update the system three damn times. I just wanna play >:C

This OS update crap better be a background, completely non-intrusive process when PS4 comes around.

I want to start out with Nathan Drake because he's my favorite :D well next to Toro, but I hear he's difficult to master.

EDIT: a FOURTH update, now for PSASBR? Come the hell on!!!

Drencrom

Great list, but i'm certain they need to tweak priority on some of Kratos moves.

Also the character selection bug (i know how to prevent it).

I don't think it's a glitch, it's more of a suggestion.

Oh its a glitch. There are times I throw a person bearing level 3 which should eject 100+ AP and am lucky to get 20-30 AP, sometimes none. According to the strategy guide out, every throw should eject 15% no matter the direction. Certain characters seem to be affected by this and others not. I can successfully eject the proper AP from every throw form ratchet, but Toro not so much.

Sackboy: agreed. But, I still think his AP needs to be toned down. 25 AP for cake when he needs, what, 100 AP for Level 1? I knock Sackboy has a lot of good moves, I want to encourage the game to reward that, instead of being one-sided like Radec. I just feel his potential is better than what he reliably does now

Kratos: agreed. I'd also add that some of his moves get less priority. The chain grabs lock on just needs to die IMO. Someone suggested making it neutral square too, and I like that idea as well. I think his priority is what really makes him everyone's FFA guy.

Sweet Tooth: I dont think it should be a cost drop, but I think it should be like Sir Dan's 2: initial explosion of Sweet Tooth (maybe in flames) which kills anyone around, and then the rocket attack, which should have a bigger blast radius/insta-detonate option. Also, Id like a buff for his shoulder bash.

Jak: agreed, he needs an all around buff, maybe even bring back some of the freedom he seemed to have in older builds. I want him to be more viable.

Sir Dan: If anyone deserves to have the ease of getting to a level 3 super like Sackboy, it's Sir Dan and Fat Princess. His level 3 needs various buffs, either in length, radius, kill-time, or slow down (like Ratchet's 2). I wouldn't mind some buffing around, and maybe make some moves faster? Dan and Jak are just way too under-repped.

Heihachi: I really think he's fine. Hit confirms into super 1, and Kuma, when released properly, can be a beast. In a FFA, especially. In a 2v2, your partner should be setting you up. Considering his AP gain, he can also get to a super real fast. I actually find Kuma to be quite powerful a majority of the time, though he can absolutely bomb other times. Try to stun an enemy before releasing it

Raiden: He shouldn't be able to move when doing his Super 1, and yeah, maybe a longer delay. Also, his Super 3 shouldn't randomize the boxes IMO. That's just a waste of time and turns people off (his super 3 ends up looking redundant to his super 2)

Also:

Ratchet: Delay Super 1 some more, or reduce the length just a bit. He has the most reliable Super 1, making his Super 2 unneeded and more unreliable

Fat Princess: Personally, I think her Super 3 needs to drop cake which she can collect for AP. The super in general is trash, it needs to be a bit more reliable.

Big Daddy: Very slight extension of Super 3, like 2 seconds. Actually, this could be unbalanced, idk.

Sly: I think his Super 2 should receive a slight extension to allow for the possibility of a fourth kill. IMO, his Super 1 is much better than his Super 2 and much more reliable/consistent at getting multi-kills, so most don't bother past this.

Ha, I'm on some website-- two most anticipated characters are Jak and Sir Dan. Too bad they suck the most :p

Spinluck

I say leave Sackboys level 3 as is, but just make the journey to get there long and hard. He gets it waaay too quickly. Especially when compared to characters like Jak, I don't think I've ever seen a Jak get a level 3, unless it was me and my friends playing our own vs matches.

I think Coles level 3 needs a teeny bit of a vacuum effect, nothing too significant, but with how slow it moves.. it definitely needs something of the sort. Maybe something a little less powerful than the push of Sackboys fan.

A simple tweak for sackboy's Lv 3 is to allow the bubbles to move around much much faster. At least then people could create some distance from sackboy. That and/or increase the AP requirement.

Spinluck

it doesnt ask noi :p

You win by landing Supers, yes there are varying factors, there are varying factors to almost anything. In sports, basketball, soccer, football. The person who scores more, wins. Are there different ways of scoring? Yes, are there obstacles to getting that score? Yes. But in the end, it's who has the most points.

I don't have to ask anyone shit, how about you elaborate yourself instead of leaning on someone else to do it for you. What's he gonna say? Will he re-write the game so you don't have to land Supers to win??

EDIT: Franks list isn't too shabby. But I say chain grab should give Kratos no AP at all.

I found there were certain moves with characters that don't even grant you AP gain, like Radec's forward circle (the electric ball) for example. I say if that move gives 0 AP, then Kratos' chain grab should be the same. At least that move with Radec requires timing, and could be used as a spacing tool with advanced players. Kratos chain grab is fast as hell, and you can barely punish him if he misses.

Also, why is it when I grab people with Drake it takes no AP? This is frustrating. I'll grab someone like 4 times in a row and they lose nothing. Lol

Noi

I'd make Kuma's attacks be controllable by Heihachi's inputs as opposed to him being completely AI controlled. At least then you could have Kuma doing an optimal attack in any situation as opposed to him flailing all over the place.

Ryce

I'd make Kuma's attacks be controllable by Heihachi's inputs as opposed to him being completely AI controlled. At least then you could have Kuma doing an optimal attack in any situation as opposed to him flailing all over the place.
That wouldn't work. What would Heihachi be doing?

Top Bottom