• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

TheMink

I assume it is intended as a kind of subtle "comeback" system. I don't really care for it much either.

Yeah, im not in love with it, but i dont really notice its there to be honest.

i only notice when they actually GET a super because i messed them up.

SmithnCo

ibio9ukf7PsmUw.png

Tournament Bracket

As you may know, the Scrafty Cup's first round is ending tonight. There are still five matches that have not been fought or are undecided.
If you have not fought your match, please post in the official tourney thread to secure a spot for your team to move on in the tourney.

If you post, and your opponents do not by the time the first round is over, you will move on in the winner's bracket of the tourney. Or, if you have proof that you have been trying to contact the opponent team and they haven't responded, please PM ScraftyDevil.

If you have fought a match, and want to make absolutely sure your match results are recorded, please PM one of the tourney judges, ScraftyDevil or me, SmithnCo. Thanks!

emb

OK this is REALLY bugging me:

Enemies are getting small amounts of AP when they are getting beaten up! Wth is that?? It's very noticeable with CPUs since I can play with easiest AI, but they'll be really close to a super, and I'll be doing moves on them, and then they get the super. Is that intended??

Wow, that's really dumb. It's like you can't stop them from building meter. So if they're ahead, the best you can really hope for is to dodge their super. :(

Finally downloaded this bad boy to my Vita and I'm pleasantly surprised by how much fun I'm having with this game. I do wish there was more characters and backgrounds but overall, it's simple fun and I can't wait for the DLC to finally come out for it.

Vysetron

Neo Member
The game got some play at my weekly fight night tonight. Most of the people here have a background in Capcom fighters, so it was a tough sell in the first place, but it at least started to click with a fair number of people.

What I didn't expect was how many people gravitated towards Spike. Apparently everyone here loves Ape Escape too!

Just played the Killzone level and I love it! It's the same opening sequence to KZ2 and it slowly turned into Ape Escape! I'm becoming more and more charmed by this game. I feel that when they first showed the stage transitions and how the game played, it felt hollow and flat but now after putting some time into the game. it's actually very well crafted. I feel that with proper DLC support, this game can be as robust as SSB or other mashup fighters. Even though I got it for free for my Vita (rebought a new Vita on BF), I might get it for the PS3 when it goes on sale if the title continues to get more support.

And Sony, if you're reading this: Please ask the community for mashups we would love to see being created. I would love to see a Wipeout HD X Gravity Daze level and a Heavy Rain X Journey level.

PowderedToast

yeah wipeout vehicles invading a stage is a no brainer, or possibly a stage set on a track like smash's f-zero

man i'd be gutted if kat/emmet is the first and last dlc we get. here's hoping that won't happen

yeah wipeout vehicles invading a stage is a no brainer, or possibly a stage set on a track like smash's f-zero

man i'd be gutted if kat/emmet is the first and last dlc we get. here's hoping that won't happen
I think there are 2 more characters possibly 3rd party probably payed DLC since Seths comments kinda made it seem that Kat and Emmet might not be rivals. After them, who knows. There is at least one stage DLC coming too.

The game got some play at my weekly fight night tonight. Most of the people here have a background in Capcom fighters, so it was a tough sell in the first place, but it at least started to click with a fair number of people.

What I didn't expect was how many people gravitated towards Spike. Apparently everyone here loves Ape Escape too!

Spike is awesome, I didn't think before playing him he would be my main. Sooooooo fun to play as!

Man the Raiden icons and backgrounds suck, lol. At least there's a Raiden Sackboy icon.

Yeah Konami went reeeally lazy with em. Shinkawa art just wouldn't do. They went totally opposite with Dante. Dante has old school icons but lazy costumes and Raiden has old school costumes and gigalazy icons.

Eh, it was just once and just because I didn't know how good your Toro was.

You need to teach me how to grab properly someday. You were pullin' 'em off left and right, whereas I'd whiff about every one -_-

Haha, alright. Grabbing is just hoping for the best when you're close to 'em really. This one Raiden I know has a ridiculous way of getting his grabs each and every time. So salt inducing.

Anyway, is anyone up for 1 on 1?

PowderedToast

here's what i don't get, the game HAS cool renders for each character as evidenced by this OP and the box art. so why instead for the character select screen do we get these ugly visually inconsistent character portraits

WHY

the renders don't even show up anywhere in the game

WHY

yea i know theyre promo but

WHYY

IS THE GAME SO UGLYYY

depward

I've been getting horrible netcode in matches the past three or so nights: players jumping around and general lag with inputs and the like. Anyone else notice an uptick in laggy matches lately?

Vysetron

Neo Member
Haha, alright. Grabbing is just hoping for the best when you're close to 'em really. This one Raiden I know has a ridiculous way of getting his grabs each and every time. So salt inducing.

Anyway, is anyone up for 1 on 1?

I could try a few if you're still around!

Nakiro

I'm having hard time having fun playing anyone other than Drake, maybe because he's my main and I'm good with him or maybe it's the connection tonight that's not co-operating but yeah.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I noticed that there are several teams that would quit at beginning of match if they see raiden or sackboy or kratos. I was playing with sackboy for fun, and got several ragequits.

bakedpony

I noticed that there are several teams that would quit at beginning of match if they see raiden or sackboy or kratos. I was playing with sackboy for fun, and got several ragequits.

A lot of people realize that a good Sackboy with a good partner can be infuriating to play against.

JordanKZ

I picked this up last night on the PSN as I'd been wanting a new Vita title for a while (plus the bonus of a PS3 copy!).

This game is surprisingly great. It's not quite on the level of Smash Brothers, but the concept is unique enough to stand out. Really surprised.

Can't believe I never noticed this in the multitude of times I squared off against him online, but I've been playing as Raiden for the first time in Arcade mode and wow... he has the most unimaginative moveset imaginable! All his attacks revolve around either the sword in his hands or the blades in his high heels, and that's it! Are Konami being tight-lipped about what else he can do, or is that all he's really capable of accomplishing in his upcoming game? He's so boring to play as, yet so overpowered, and I was just winning against the CPU with the greatest of ease; mashing away at square and triangle with no tactical thought. Prior to that, I completed Spike's story, and he's got a great diversity of moves that reference his past games and made me feel nostalgic... yet he's total shite in comparison. Couldn't make anything work other than his melee attacks - another Jak scenario. It's depressing.

I think the best of the hack 'n slashers to play as is Nariko funnily enough, what with her being the least prolific. She feels really dynamic to use, but not cheap, and has a large variety of attacks at her disposal.

Tsunamo

Mohannad88 from PS3trophys.org emailed Superbot about online issues and got a reply.
Hi Mohannad,

Julie forwarded your email to me and I wanted to respond.

I was very sorry to read about your difficulties with our game. We definitely have had some issues with online play for some of the people who are playing the game. I believe the issue you are describing is related to our matchmaker server logic. It was matching players too quickly and widening the physical and skill requirements so fast that players of all skills were being matched together. We have been furiously working on a fix and was able to deploy it to the servers yesterday. We have our fingers crossed that this will solve a great deal of these issues, but know that there are other issues we are still working on with a patch to be released soon.

The kind of online play we have built into our game is very different in its demands from games that have preceded us, and I can say proudly that we have broken new ground in building up our system. Releasing a game to the public is a whole new ballgame in its demands on online play with many more players than any of the betas we conducted so we face issues that we were not able to predict until it went live. This is not uncommon in the early days of a game's release.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/pl...181315-reply-superbot-about-online-issue.html

TheMink

Can't believe I never noticed this in the multitude of times I squared off against him online, but I've been playing as Raiden for the first time in Arcade mode and wow... he has the most unimaginative moveset imaginable! All his attacks revolve around either the sword in his hands or the blades in his high heels, and that's it! Are Konami being tight-lipped about what else he can do, or is that all he's really capable of accomplishing in his upcoming game? He's so boring to play as, yet so overpowered, and I was just winning against the CPU with the greatest of ease; mashing away at square and triangle with no tactical thought. Prior to that, I completed Spike's story, and he's got a great diversity of moves that reference his past games and made me feel nostalgic... yet he's total shite in comparison. Couldn't make anything work other than his melee attacks - another Jak scenario. It's depressing.

I think the best of the hack 'n slashers to play as is Nariko funnily enough, what with her being the least prolific. She feels really dynamic to use, but not cheap, and has a large variety of attacks at her disposal.

Watching a vid of revengence makes it seem like they were 100% true to what he can do in the game.

*shrugs*

Watching a vid of revengence makes it seem like they were 100% true to what he can do in the game.

*shrugs*

Then he shouldn't have been in PASBR in the first place. His pitifully limited and reserved moveset isn't suitable for a game like this.

:'(

It still doesn't stop me from maining Jak. Feels good to win against the overused high tier characters

For anyone who's a fan of the Naughty Dog trilogy, it's painful to see how ineffective Jak is in this game. Even Sir Dan outclasses him.

For anyone who's a fan of the Naughty Dog trilogy, it's painful to see how ineffective Jak is in this game. Even Sir Dan outclasses him.

Yes, it's really sad. I thought Jak would be one of the more popular characters because of how well liked the games were, but I can count the amount of other Jak players I've encountered on one hand...

Leezard

Finally reached the red belt. We were only matched with blue-belters, so we won 2 rating and lost 10. It makes it really infuriating once you reach 98 rating and then fight against a sackboy who can properly use his stuff, so you have to win 5 more matches to recover from the loss. :/

Edit: the most terrible thing happened when we were matched up against some guys we had won against several times in a row and they starting quitting as soon as the match up appeared. We actually lost 4 rating when they quit the game.

bakedpony

After connecting to a match, my character switched to Sackboy, making me play him for THE FIRST TIME.

The results of the match? I won with a 5-0 mark. If a first timer can do that to Sackboy, then something is clearly wrong.

Leezard

After connecting to a match, my character switched to Sackboy, making me play him for THE FIRST TIME.

The results of the match? I won with a 5-0 mark. If a first timer can do that to Sackboy, then something is clearly wrong.
It seems like if you appear to have a game, then you get back to having to search for a game, you have the possibility of a random character in the next game.
Unless you cancel and choose character again, that is.

bakedpony

It seems like if you appear to have a game, then you get back to having to search for a game, you have the possibility of a random character in the next game.
Unless you cancel and choose character again, that is.

I know that. But sometimes, when it goes back to searching, it immediately goes to connecting before you can cancel.

Drencrom

Finally reached the red belt. We were only matched with blue-belters, so we won 2 rating and lost 10. It makes it really infuriating once you reach 98 rating and then fight against a sackboy who can properly use his stuff, so you have to win 5 more matches to recover from the loss. :/

Edit: the most terrible thing happened when we were matched up against some guys we had won against several times in a row and they starting quitting as soon as the match up appeared. We actually lost 4 rating when they quit the game.

That was frustrating beyond comprehension, so punishing.

Top Bottom