• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

prwxv3

Welcome to 1v1 lol.

There are a couple ways they could deal with that. Maybe when it comes down to that point, make AP gain faster? Put a time limit on top of stock?

Yeah, Kill Limit is pretty fun too, I enjoy playing 7-10 point Kill Limit

Honestly, I think this game would have benefitted with a unified art style, but their presentation team dont seem that great. Guys like Drake are so off. But more importantly, the game can look understandably jarring sometimes. It's not as bad as some make it, but just not as good as Smash. If they went with a very strong unified art style the game could have just looked phenomenal.

Drake, Coles, and skinny ass Dante just don't mesh well together. I'm just picturing a colour-rich 2D artstyle, it could look so flashy, like so many of the fighting games. Presentation is a huge thing with these games.

On a somewhat related note, I thought these looked cool:

They did the smart thing and hired dudes that would establish good core mechanics. They should have tried a bit harder at the presentation though. They have no excuse if a sequel is ever made.

They did the smart thing and hired dudes that would establish good core mechanics. They should have tried a bit harder at the presentation though. They have no excuse if a sequel is ever made.

This game is in a perfect position for an awesome sequel. Hopefully they can justify making one...

They got the core mechanics/fighting down (w/ some tweaks). They just need to go balls out w/ modes, extras, presentation, stories ect.

But it's also much harder for them then say Nintendo. Because they have a LOT of dialogue in these games and every character has some type of speech, it'll probably be really expensive to get all that voice work together and writing all that shit. Plus I don't think they'll ever be able to do fully animated stories, that'd just be way too much work.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
The art style is uniform. The characters are all done in the same style, while staying true to their source material. The thing is, we have a very, very diverse set of body types that give the impression that it's not a cohesive look, but it really is.

For example, when you load up any character on, Paris, San Francisco, Time Station, Columbia, and Invasion, they mesh really well together. The lighting, the slight stylized look to all of the characters (especially the ones that come from realistic looking games like Uncharted, MGS, and Killzone).

I also think people forget that games like God of War started off with a very stylized look, with Kratos really not going overly realistic until God of War 3. GoW1 and 2 had a very stylized look:

God of War 1:

god-of-war-gorgon.jpg

God of War 2:

Then, God of War 3 amped up the style to more realistic:

This is the Kratos in PlayStation All Stars (screen captured from my Vita)

He's somewhere in between the GoW2 and GoW3 Kratos. The other realistic characters have undergone a similar bit of stylization. Nathan Drake is significantly stylized compared to his UC incarnations.

I think the characters work well, and part of the fun is the absurdness of having Drake next to Sly Cooper. I love Smash, but Nintendo characters, visually, are almost interchangable when it comes to their games. Mario wouldn't look out of place in Donkey Kong or Kirby. Zelda and Link wouldn't look out of place in the Mushroom Kingdom. Kirby fits right in with the Earthbound crowd. I love the characters, but I'm not going to pretend that Nintendo isn't dipping into a very similar well with their franchises visually. It makes a game like Smash look more cohesive, which is a plus. It's also not a criticism.

I think you could do the same with, say, all the various characters in Pixar's movies. You could probably mix and match them with no problems if there was a Smash style game with Pixar characters. (I'd totally be down for that, actually...)

Goddam, I always forget how amazing Kratos looks in GoW3.

I know some SSM artists and they are the most talented mofo's I've met (that and Naughty Dog).

Also, I don't understand the complaint that the characters aren't unified and stylized to match each other. It's a goddam clash of all these different worlds coming together to fight, of course it's suppose to look like a mess... isn't that the point? But as Figboy stated, they did a great job of slightly stylizing each character to mesh a little better w/out losing their charm. It helps that all the characters use a similar shader setup, which makes them react to lighting similarly.

Every time I boot this game up for a go, I see not one, but two Coles and get pissed. Why couldn't they have just done a Zelda/Sheik transformation, fuck.

Eh, it's not that big of a deal. I got used to it in Smash Bro's; Toon Link, Young Link, Old Link. Dr Mario, Mario, Luigi. Falco, Fox. ect. ect. What they should have done is just make Good Cole default as Kessler.

Every time I boot this game up for a go, I see not one, but two Coles and get pissed. Why couldn't they have just done a Zelda/Sheik transformation, fuck.

SykoTech

Picked Nariko. Was switched to Jak & Daxter of all people. Won match anyway, lol.

Finally ran into the character switch thing. Glad that's gonna be the first thing getting patched. I'd hate to be switched to some like Kratos one day.

The art style is uniform. The characters are all done in the same style, while staying true to their source material. The thing is, we have a very, very diverse set of body types that give the impression that it's not a cohesive look, but it really is.

For example, when you load up any character on, Paris, San Francisco, Time Station, Columbia, and Invasion, they mesh really well together. The lighting, the slight stylized look to all of the characters (especially the ones that come from realistic looking games like Uncharted, MGS, and Killzone).

I also think people forget that games like God of War started off with a very stylized look, with Kratos really not going overly realistic until God of War 3. GoW1 and 2 had a very stylized look:

God of War 1:

God of War 2:

He's somewhere in between the GoW2 and GoW3 Kratos. The other realistic characters have undergone a similar bit of stylization. Nathan Drake is significantly stylized compared to his UC incarnations.

I think the characters work well, and part of the fun is the absurdness of having Drake next to Sly Cooper. I love Smash, but Nintendo characters, visually, are almost interchangable when it comes to their games. Mario wouldn't look out of place in Donkey Kong or Kirby. Zelda and Link wouldn't look out of place in the Mushroom Kingdom. Kirby fits right in with the Earthbound crowd. I love the characters, but I'm not going to pretend that Nintendo isn't dipping into a very similar well with their franchises visually. It makes a game like Smash look more cohesive, which is a plus. It's also not a criticism.

I think you could do the same with, say, all the various characters in Pixar's movies. You could probably mix and match them with no problems if there was a Smash style game with Pixar characters. (I'd totally be down for that, actually...)
Kratos wasn't stylized, PS2 just couldn't render him any more realistically than that. Look at the CGI in God of War 1 and 2 if you want to see how the developers up envisioned him then. It was realistic.

Anyway, they need to go unified art style. It would give the game much more identity

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Just got in a 1v1... call me salty, but the super system does frustrate me. Got a kid who glitched in a 2v2 the other night to rematch, had to wait for partners so did a 1v1. I was handling the guy as parappa, but as evil cole he ultimately won because of hit confirming his level 1 super. I know you can confirm parappas, but it is significantly harder for it to land, and on some maps cannot be done. Ultimately in the 2v2 we absolutely destroyed these guys, given the fact that I didn't have to rely on a crappy level 1 super. I understand some characters are better for certain situations... it's just dissapointing that my main character, parappa, is definitely not a great choice for 1v1, at least IMO.

They should at least try. They most important thing they should do is do as much ass kissing as possible to get big characters like cloud, crash, spyro, ect. and use some other existing characters sony owns. It will be hard for sure though.

They should also pick what the game should be like, a party game or a hardcore fighting game.
Hardcore fighting game

Refocus efforts towards 1v1 and 2v2 and flesh out the mechanics. Shrink the level size and bring the action a bit closer Dojo is about the right size for a stage

And reconsider supers. Have them take off health rather than insta killing

Just got in a 1v1... call me salty, but the super system does frustrate me. Got a kid who glitched in a 2v2 the other night to rematch, had to wait for partners so did a 1v1. I was handling the guy as parappa, but as evil cole he ultimately won because of hit confirming his level 1 super. I know you can confirm parappas, but it is significantly harder for it to land, and on some maps cannot be done. Ultimately in the 2v2 we absolutely destroyed these guys, given the fact that I didn't have to rely on a crappy level 1 super. I understand some characters are better for certain situations... it's just dissapointing that my main character, parappa, is definitely not a great choice for 1v1, at least IMO.
Do you use neural O to set up Parappas super? His is pretty much the strongest in the game for guaranteing a hit IMO

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Kratos wasn't stylized, PS2 just couldn't render him any more realistically than that. Look at the CGI in God of War 1 and 2 if you want to see how the developers up envisioned him then. It was realistic.

Anyway, they need to go unified art style. It would give the game much more identity

That's like trying to argue that Mario wasn't stylized because the NES couldn't render him more.

Technology informs character design in video games. Lara Croft got the iconic belt and gun holsters not because they thought they looked cool, but because they covered up some graphical corruption on her hip joints.

The PS2 couldn't render something like GoW3, that's true. That doesn't change that everything from the environments to the character models in God of War were very, very stylized. Especially when you take into account that there were more realistic games, with more realistic art styles on the PS2, Xbox, and PC.

The tech certainly played a roll in the level of detail on the screen, but Kratos was stylized. Yes, Kratos was more detailed in the cutscenes, but he was still fairly stylized even in the CG cutscenes. They were detailed cutscenes, but everything about the GoW world had a slightly "animated" look to it. I thought it looked great, and as amazing as GoW3 looked, I really would have liked it to have that more sleek, colorful look of GoW1 and 2.

PBR has a visual identity in my opinion.

Here's 4 of our more realistic characters:

I feel the art style is very uniform, despite how visually distinct the characters are. This particular stage, and the lighting really highlights that uniformity in my opinion.

That's like trying to argue that Mario wasn't stylized because the NES couldn't render him more.

Technology informs character design in video games. Lara Croft got the iconic belt and gun holsters not because they thought they looked cool, but because they covered up some graphical corruption on her hip joints.

The PS2 couldn't render something like GoW3, that's true. That doesn't change that everything from the environments to the character models in God of War were very, very stylized. Especially when you take into account that there were more realistic games, with more realistic art styles on the PS2, Xbox, and PC.

The tech certainly played a roll in the level of detail on the screen, but Kratos was stylized. Yes, Kratos was more detailed in the cutscenes, but he was still fairly stylized even in the CG cutscenes. They were detailed cutscenes, but everything about the GoW world had a slightly "animated" look to it. I thought it looked great, and as amazing as GoW3 looked, I really would have liked it to have that more sleek, colorful look of GoW1 and 2.

I believe they kept GoW1/2 stylized in order to reach a higher framerate to match up w/ the fluidity of Kratos' animation sets. They kept the prerendered elements somewhat stylized to match the rest of the game, but ultimately preferred the realistic style in GoW3 to enhance the gritty violence.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I believe they kept GoW1/2 stylized in order to reach a higher framerate to match up w/ the fluidity of Kratos' animation sets. They kept the prerendered elements somewhat stylized to match the rest of the game, but ultimately preferred the realistic style in GoW3 to enhance the gritty violence.

All the characters in this game were modeled individually (I know one of the modelers) so the skin shader they used for all of them are basically the same which really unifies the humans together.

Well, yeah, obviously the tech of the PS2 informed the visual look of the PS2 titles. That doesn't change the fact that that look became the God of War look, which was drastically changed in the third, to make the game look more like the CGI of the first 2. Personally, I preferred the stylized look of GoW1 and 2, and it's really jarring to me to go from playing the GoW HD Collections (both collections), then popping in GoW3, and playing a game that is very stylistically different.

I love GoW3, but the uber-realism isn't one of the reasons why (although Poseidon's intro is still one of my favorite intros of a boss in gaming).

prwxv3

Hardcore fighting game

Refocus efforts towards 1v1 and 2v2 and flesh out the mechanics. Shrink the level size and bring the action a bit closer Dojo is about the right size for a stage

And reconsider supers. Have them take off health rather than insta killing

That sounds good. The core mechanics are there and are solid they just need to flesh everything out and improve the presentation and fanservice.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Do you use neural O to set up Parappas super? His is pretty much the strongest in the game for guaranteing a hit IMO

Not even close... this isn't a hit confirm at all. Only way to hit confirm his level 1 is throwing the enemy off a wall and getting them on the bounce back. Sucks because it's hard to know the distance for sure, and a lot of maps it's not possible. not only that, but to get them into position for it is impossible.

edit- for the record there a ton of better hit confirms for level 1... evil cole who I was versing has a great hit confirm for his level 1.

No it not like that at all really. As I said the CGI showed how Kratos was supposed to look, had the PS2 been able to render it that is how he would look. You can pick up the likes of MGS2 and 3 and find a Solid Snake who looks significantly less realistic than in MGS4, but that does not mean they weren't aiming for realism. The only example I can think of where truly realistically rendered characters were achieved on PS2 was Silent Hill 3 and we all know that was some voodoo magic shit there. Otherwise, they had to cut corners in polygon counts and especially texturing because of PS2s power.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I lost a match tonight due to the neutral Circle to Super 1 with PaRappa.

I haven't fought enough with PaRappa to get the timing down when coming out of that Yo Yo grapple.

Had an amazing tournament tonight at my college, 2v2, 5:00 time matches. 32 people. Nice variety out there (the winning team was Heaichi and Kratos, 2nd was Sackboy and Sly, 3rd was Spike and Sly, 4th was Raiden and Ratchet). Really good matches, 2 people actually went to wal-mart and bought a copy, and the winner took home a PS3 and a copy of a game from each franchise in the game.

Not even close... this isn't a hit confirm at all. Only way to hit confirm his level 1 is throwing the enemy off a wall and getting them on the bounce back. Sucks because it's hard to know the distance for sure, and a lot of maps it's not possible. not only that, but to get them into position for it is impossible.

edit- for the record there a ton of better hit confirms for level 1... evil cole who I was versing has a great hit confirm for his level 1.
I guess I jut haven't experienced anyone good enough to dodge it. You can also do neutral O - down square - up square (tap) then launch it while they are mid air. Leaves a very tiny window to dodge in

SykoTech

Had an amazing tournament tonight at my college, 2v2, 5:00 time matches. 32 people. Nice variety out there (the winning team was Heaichi and Kratos, 2nd was Sackboy and Sly, 3rd was Spike and Sly, 4th was Raiden and Ratchet). Really good matches, 2 people actually went to wal-mart and bought a copy, and the winner took home a PS3 and a copy of a game from each franchise in the game.

Nice. Wish I was that guy. This game is making me want to go out and buy stuff inFamous 2 and the Uncharted game right now. Hell, even Heavenly Sword (despite not caring much for the demo). Definitely reminds me of my experience with Melee. I bought Metroid Prime Day 1 just because Samus was my main.

Supers are definitely not balanced for 1v1 because as we know, not all level ones are created equal. So some players will have to work for a level two for only one guaranteed kill each time

I really hope they use a health bar next time. I respect them trying something new, but they were trying to fix something that wasn't broken. The great fighting mechanics are undermined by super only kills

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I guess I jut haven't experienced anyone good enough to dodge it. You can also do neutral O - down square - up square (tap) then launch it while they are mid air. Leaves a very tiny window to dodge in

If you're playing 1 v 1 in a serious match, everyone is going to know it's comming, all you have to do is mash dodgge, it's very easy to get around it. I'll try out the other one.

I haven't fought enough with PaRappa to get the timing down when coming out of that Yo Yo grapple.

Haha I always call it a yo yo too, but it's a mic. I think it's the skateboard makes me think yo yo for some reason.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Supers are definitely not balanced for 1v1 because as we know, not all level ones are created equal. So some players will have to work for a level two for only one guaranteed kill each time

I really hope they use a health bar next time. I respect them trying something new, but they were trying to fix something that wasn't broken. The great fighting mechanics are undermined by super only kills

It really is an awful system, really dissapointing :-/. They should've just gone with ring outs similar to smash. The supers could work similar to final smash or w/e.

How would killsteals work or just make a 1v1 game?

How would killsteals work or just make a 1v1 game?
I'm slowly coming to the opinion that these devs need to work to their strengths. They are legitimate fighting enthusiasts and should build a game that reflects that

To me it feels like they built a game with depth, but then tacked on an overly simple system of supers on top that undermined the rest.

I would not be disappointed if they basically started ground up for the sequel. Avoid the Smash Bros stereotyping and build a unique fighter.

How in the world do you tech it? I feel so bad for not being able to do anything about it.

Sid

God of War 1:

God of War 2:

Gow games always went for realistic graphics only to be limited by the hardware,i know it and stig confirmed that too.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Just had the 2 kill for 1 glitch happen again, this time it favored me.

On sandover village, Evil coles lvl 1 sometimes goes off 2 times counting as a double kill for w/e reason, it only costs 1 bar.

I'm slowly coming to the opinion that these devs need to work to their strengths. They are legitimate fighting enthusiasts and should build a game that reflects that

To me it feels like they built a game with depth, but then tacked on an overly simple system of supers on top that undermined the rest.

I would not be disappointed if they basically started ground up for the sequel. Avoid the Smash Bros stereotyping and build a unique fighter.

I dont see why they cant add a health mode, tbh. Cant they just use the AP values to equate to damage?

I dont see why they cant add a health mode, tbh. Cant they just use the AP values to equate to damage?

So would a health mode keep supers? Instead of killing they'd just do a set amount of damage? I feel like it'd become the same exact thing, rushing for a super to do the killing blow.

Siaynoqq

What happened to my belt and all my points? I've had 0 for a while now -- and i was consistently hovering around 80-100 before that, wtf. Feel like I'm finishing about as well as I was before.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Just got in some crazy matches with a cocky fella named newvoodoo. Kept teabaggin despite us winning. He set us the invite and won 3 straight 2v2s, one using sackboy who got 6 kills on 1 special, but w/e. After that we won 4 in a row only one of them was close. Sweet redemption.

Drencrom

New season and i got no new titles, i had a green belt in FFA and a red belt in 2v2.

So do i get my titles later or am i fucked, my belts are gone so...

PowderedToast

i don't mind the super system, but when i play with some friends over the holidays i'm thinking of setting AP generation to high and having it timed, so there's no stalemates and people have no struggle getting decent supers

the one thing i'd like to see patched in is skippable level 3 cutscenes. heihachi's in particular is really annoying when used more than once in a match

So would a health mode keep supers? Instead of killing they'd just do a set amount of damage? I feel like it'd become the same exact thing, rushing for a super to do the killing blow.

I think they would have to get rid of level 3s and increase the amount of AP you need to gain to get supers too but I suppose it could work.

EDIT Why do I have to accept the EULA everytime I play online? I also thought I was having the same problem I was during the beta (where I was stuck at the searching for opponents/connecting screen) but I have gotten into a few matches. Although it can still take longer than I'd like or kick me back to the character select screen with an error code.

Top Bottom