• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

SSReborn

That layoff topic is embarrassing. It's last April all over again!

Didn't even go into that thread figured that would be the case guess I was smart in doing so. Those threads only invite people who don't play the game to gather up and criticize it.

Skyzard

Banned
^ Shame there is no mention of the wipeout aspect of the track, a possible wipeout vehicle character would have been awesome :p

Yeah it seems PSASBR does bring out the worst sometimes but at least it has been made :) I only hope for as many DLC characters and levels as they can pump out, plan on buying it all. Helps that the first stage is a wipeout track and the free characters look pretty awesome.

How would you lot feel about another tekken character as dlc? Heihachi is awesome but it's pretty hard to not get tossed about most of the time playing as him and isn't so popular it seems. I was specifically thinking of Tekken 3's Yoshimitsu. He has an amazingly well designed moveset that is really diverse too. A lot of moves that would be fun to play, look impressive visually on-screen, especially with his cool neon-green sword, and also he'll add to the brawling funness of the game (with his faster speed and better range.

Moves like the poison breath, running forward kneeing/sword swipe-through. Obviously the stabbing himself and spinning around. The flying helicopter moves/meditation and appear from other side. Forward roll into kick and high ejection of opponents. He has the uppercut combos with the spinning slaps. That cool framerate-skipping ghost move that attacks them with a sword or something. Spinning while standing, tripple kick, standing on the sword and attacking people by running them over with it. Tripple leap/jump attack run-up. Soul-drain when he grabs them by the head and lifts them up while sapping ap for one of the throws, his two other throws are both great too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWQChHUTsPs (good moveset compilation video)

Also I watched the team tag combo video and the tournament one too, impressive stuff, keep it coming. // And I guess Gun Jack would be okay too..

Am I the only one who'd like Raven or the robot girl from Gravity Rush as DLC in the future?

I'd prefer Raven as an alt costume for Kat, but I'd welcome MegaWoMan anytime (if only to see the meltdowns upon her announcement).

That said, if Kat doesn't have her Dark Cat costume, I'm gonna be disappointed.

jwk94

I would love Raven as a playable character in this game. Dead serious, I would main her over Kat.
Yeah, i would too. I loved raven in Gravity Rush.

I'd prefer Raven as an alt costume for Kat, but I'd welcome MegaWoMan anytime (if only to see the meltdowns upon her announcement).

That said, if Kat doesn't have her Dark Cat costume, I'm gonna be disappointed.
You mean the Spy costume?

We need to get a Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale night going. Lets make it happen.
as a new gaffer, i would happily join in.

Slightly off topic, but is it just me, or does Gravity Rush have a heavy influence from Kamen Rider Agito? Kat would be Shoichi with the memory loss and, to a lesser extent, someone taking her in (Syd). Raven and Ryou would be the same because....ok, i really don't remember much about him. And then we have Bio girl and G3 for obvious reasons.

Cant believe how GOOD so many people got. Been off the game for a good 3 weeks, and I am getting wrecked. I really need to keep up with the combos.

What's up with the WNF commentary on All Stars?

I agree with them about items/Medusa's head though. Dont know why they are playing w/ them, or why they aren't playing Stock for that matter. Any reason why they did it like this?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Haven't been playing as much since the patch... can't believe they claimed to be nerfing Raiden, Kratos, and Drake. I don't mind Kratos as much as the other 2, but Raiden and Drake are still God tier. Raidens level 1 and 2 are the best in each category IMO in the game. His level 1 has huge range, and fires off immediately. He can still confirm both his level 1 and 2 in a million different ways. He's also ridiculously fast. Some of the developers must play as these characters lol, because there is no way they should be this strong.

edit- LOL anybody had a chance to play against FumbleThis and Guard_20? Pretty hilarious. Plays as Raiden, I'm parappa, my buddy and I were playing against them a few times all night tonight, have won every meeting. Guard_20 is fine, just plays civil, this FumbleThis guy cannot stop bitching about Parappa being OP and Sackboy (my buddy) gaining AP too fast, so on so forth. Has to be one of the best ragers I've encountered so far. Both are 450+ black belts.

Redhood

I know its a bit old but i was a bit angry that crash and spyro were not in it.

Maybe sony asked activision for them and they asked monies! Maybe they will be paid DLC?

Pachimari

Activision either asked for too much money, to wait or suggested a contract Sony couldn't agree with. They sure wouldn't downright turn down an offer I think.

SmithnCo

I remember seeing a new design for Crash, that could possibly be one of the reasons why he didn't appear.

Yeah, Activision seems to have their own plans for him. I wonder how people would've felt if the new versions of the characters appeared. People really seem to want the old versions, but it doesn't really fit with what Activision wants with Skylanders.

I know its a bit old but i was a bit angry that crash and spyro were not in it.

Maybe sony asked activision for them and they asked monies! Maybe they will be paid DLC?

It's one of those things nobody except the higher ups will know. I'm sure it was all business related. If somehow Crash, Sora, or spyro were to make it in Smash 4 that would be a lowblow to Sony and Superbot.

FluxWaveZ

Sorry if this has been addressed before, but would you guys consider 1v1 in the game balanced? I've not played all that much of PSAS (highest lvl is 700 Drake), but going from SCR not having a 1v1 tourney, the game not having Ranked 1v1 and my personal experiences, I don't think it is.

It seems like some characters such as Fat Princess, Evil Cole and Raiden have easy ways to accumulate high AP as well as having simple level 1 super setups. I feel like without those properties, a character isn't really viable in 1v1.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Sorry if this has been addressed before, but would you guys consider 1v1 in the game balanced? I've not played all that much of PSAS (highest lvl is 700 Drake), but going from SCR not having a 1v1 tourney, the game not having Ranked 1v1 and my personal experiences, I don't think it is.

It seems like some characters such as Fat Princess, Evil Cole and Raiden have easy ways to accumulate high AP as well as having simple level 1 super setups. I feel like without those properties, a character isn't really viable in 1v1.

Again Raiden is just so ridiculously good for 1v1. He can hit confirm in far too many ways. I main Parappa, and have been called out for quite a few 1v1s, and while I win a lot of them, I also lose a lot. Sometimes I'm flat out outplayed, but other times I will be absolutely dominating from an AP standpoint, but parappas lvl1 is just not good enough in a 1v1 situation. It has a fairly slow startup, it shoots in an awkward angle, it really can't be hit confirmed without walls. Raidens combo can be confirmed by using the corner, from within combos, from the air, etc.

I'm feeling the game wasn't really designed for 1v1. I remember before the game out Seth seemed to say that 2v2 Kill Limit was better than 1v1. Judging by the lower amount of entrants at recent tournies here, doubles will probably become the norm.

I'm feeling the game wasn't really designed for 1v1. I remember before the game out Seth seemed to say that 2v2 Kill Limit was better than 1v1. Judging by the lower amount of entrants at recent tournies here, doubles will probably become the norm.

I love the 2v2 gameplay I saw from SCR, I wish they'd bump it up to 7 kills though, without items

Cant believe how GOOD so many people got. Been off the game for a good 3 weeks, and I am getting wrecked. I really need to keep up with the combos.

You've got me worried. I put the game in for the first time in months to prep for the DLC. I hadn't even put that much time in to begin with when it first came out.

Captain N

Loving Raiden! He's pretty bad ass. Playing against a lot of people using Kratos. His range is insane and recovery isn't matched.

Nakiro

Yeah it's difficult to get kills in 1v1 if your character doesn't have a hit confirm or a good super.

OmegaZero

Again Raiden is just so ridiculously good for 1v1. He can hit confirm in far too many ways. I main Parappa, and have been called out for quite a few 1v1s, and while I win a lot of them, I also lose a lot. Sometimes I'm flat out outplayed, but other times I will be absolutely dominating from an AP standpoint, but parappas lvl1 is just not good enough in a 1v1 situation. It has a fairly slow startup, it shoots in an awkward angle, it really can't be hit confirmed without walls. Raidens combo can be confirmed by using the corner, from within combos, from the air, etc.

Eh, Raiden doesn't really have any good moves to start combos for AP, and his kill confirms are all easy to see coming/punish.
I've died more from Raidens throwing out their lv1s when I least expect it.

The throw nerf really hurt his 1v1 potential imo (not that I'm complaining).

TheMink

Eh, Raiden doesn't really have any good moves to start combos for AP, and his kill confirms are all easy to see coming/punish.
I've died more from Raidens throwing out their lv1s when I least expect it.

The throw nerf really hurt his 1v1 potential imo (not that I'm complaining).

I agree

BeastM0de

Neo Member
I think the throw nerf gimped raiden a bit too much. I wish superbot was more focused on giving the rest of the roster more tools than taking away setups from others. The more setups the more interesting the metagame.

I wouldn'y say 1v1 is particularly unbalanced, but I think there is a different character ranking for each game type. I'd say E. Cole is top tier for 1v1 but middle tier for FFA. I think Kratos is great at FFA but middle tier at 1v1.

I was playing last night with an old bud of mine and I got him hooked - I noticed something though. Aside from the roster complaints, the forced super system, boxed in levels, etc we really enjoyed ourselves but I suddenly realized something tonight ... I have no idea who I want to main, in comparison I always can pick someone in SSB.

I dunno I'm just not really into some of the characters, like I really want to care about them but half of them I just don't. I usually like to play as heavy characters but Big Daddy pretty much represents all my anger/disappointment with the game and that's it really when it comes to heavy characters right? Sir Daniel doesn't count because he's just slow.

I loved characters like Dedede and D.K. in SSB, so it kind of disappoints me that the roster in PSABR is mostly human or humanoid people with guns. I still wish they would have tapped more of Sony's wholly owned IP roster instead of relying on current gen third party cash ins to sell their product.

Sorry about the rant, my friend and I talked about that at length so it's been on my mind lately. I'm still very excited about Graves and Kat, although I wish there was more variety so that Graves would stand out more ... now he's just going to be gun user #6 and human character #11.

This REALLY needs to happen for the next update:

-1v1 stock timed (or any other variation)
-2v2 Kill Limit Ranked (if this is their go-to mode, why not make it ranked? I was expecting the main ranked mode to alternate like this)
-Momentum mode as an actual option. Do you guys know if this is hard for them to do or something? You can play against the AI, is it not possible to do this against humans? (Basically you gain AP really fast, but supers take away humungous chunks of your AP) It just sounds so fun to play with friends.

But what I want more than anything in the world is a damn REMATCH OPTION.

Playing a randomly matchmade game once doesn't show the full potential of this game!
When you have the option of a rematch, that's when you begin memorizing, planning, calculating, and outthinking your opponent. When I had the fortune to matchmake to the same players in the beta, the games were incredibly intense! Nothing has matched this since, except for local multiplayer/playing with gaffers.

Here's a fond memory from the beta:

I remember a HEATED rivalry I had with this one douche and his partner, nearly every game we played went into Overtime! I am sure one of them went into 4x OT, but I could be mistaken.

We beat them once, they beat us the next time, then we beat them back, then they beat us back again! We kept getting matchmade together, and with a pool of just 6 characters, and with us sticking mostly to our preferred characters.

(I messaged him congratulating the great gameplay, and he was a sourpuss about it, so that turned a competitive friendly game into a "I have to kick his ass" match).

But then we got matchmade even more, (after having not seen him for a whole) and after he talked me down, I could feel the enraged heat flowing through my hands as we BEAT THEIR ASSES DOWN.

It was such a great feeling, and the gameplay within those games developed and nurtured as we got to know each other's moves, playstyles, Super setups, etc. Even though he was rude, I did enjoy playing with him, and I have played tons of games online with good people who are just so well matched against us.

It created an incredibly thoughtful metagame, like learning to dance with someone the first time, compared to how you dance with them the 20th time. Everything just flows so much better, you read each other so well, and there's a natural flow to the game.

So, if there's one thing I desperately want, it's a rematch option. The first three rematch options should grant you proper rank and whatnot, but anything after that should be free plays, in case they are worried about boosting.

I also think this could benefit the 1v1 gameplay. Sure, some characters may be more immediately suited for the mode (I keep getting destroyed by Heihachi players comboing into their Super 1's), but with a rematch option, it allows players to see plays coming, and allow them to work with more free structure towards how they approach their opponent. Half the fun of playing a person or team who are just too damn good is getting beaten up, but then finding weaknesses in their game. Unfortunately, 2:30 or a 5 minute game only begins to nurture a chemistry, and it is all too soon taken away. I really do not know why we cannot play rematches.

So PLEASE, Clock, if you are reading this:

-1v1 stock timed
-2v2 Kill Limit Ranked (high time to switch timed for a season or two)
-Info on why some options are limited? (Momentum mode)
-REMATCH OPTION

TheMink

Good stuff Time, but i would say no to the rematch. I suppose the option is fine, but i have no intrest in rematching so i would never accept.

cyborg009

Banned
Are you experiencing slow downs too? It's annoying.

Not really but I had a nasty one when use that watermelon item. Besides that we have music glitches and annoying connect problems with the server/host. But when I do get into a match I don't get kicked off as much as before.

edit: a lot of disconnect while in a middle of a match too, to be honest I'm confuses me how smooth the beta was compare to the actual game.

[All-Stars Tournament]

I'm looking for a partner, to join me and wreck havoc against other players that come across us. :D Let me know if you're interested in joining.

I use: Sweet Tooth, Dante, Sir Dan, Radec and Jak. (In order of my skill to them)

I dont know if it's just Sweet Tooth, but there is an incredibly annoying glitch that still hasnt been fixed where you simply freeze. The only way to get out of it is to get hit agan/Ko'd by your opponent

BeastM0de

Neo Member
Ive also frozen as sweet tooth. During the freeze the camera followed my partner around. Once the other team killed me the game went on as normal.

I agree with 2v2 ranked being changed to kill limit. I used to think it should be 7 kills but i've warmed up to 5. I also wish it was possible to play ranked 2v2 with randoms. You put yourself at a disadvantage, but at least its POSSIBLE to play when none of your friends are on. Plus most of my psn friends prefer quick match. No one is down to grind out a 2v2 black belt with me.

As far as 1v1 and rematch go, I think these things should be kept in quick match. There is no reason not to include 1v1 with the 3 options currently available in the other modes. No new titles need to be created. This could be patched in rather quickly. Rematch should be an option in quick match. Ranked should be kept random.

One simple change I would like to see concerns the super meters. I'd like to see has marks on the bar going from lv 1 to lv 2 that displays when I have gained a second lv 1 super. I hate guessing that I have a second super saved up.

I dont know if it's just Sweet Tooth, but there is an incredibly annoying glitch that still hasnt been fixed where you simply freeze. The only way to get out of it is to get hit agan/Ko'd by your opponent

Freezes happen to me too occasionally. Sometimes i can get out of them after a few seconds either by being left alone long enough or by getting attacked. Other times it results in getting killed of course, pretty annoying.

Top Bottom