• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

Sackboy's up and triangle and neutral triangle should use a slight buff. I think the animation should be faster for the jam.

His forward triangle imo takes too long to fully charge up. I'm also shocked that he didn't get a paintinator gun or that wasn't at least a weapon in the game. That was a iconic LBP item.

SmithnCo

Nariko's combos look awesome. She may not be so bad in 1v1 after all if you can get some unbroken ones in for a level 3.

One I am messing around with:

down triangle (pull), down square, short hop > aerial down triangle, down triangle, mash circle, up triangle, short hop, aerial side triangle, aerial neutral circle (grab), mash square

It's like 180 - 190 AP or something, not totally sure if there's a way to break out after the aerial down triangle, but you could just start with the second down triangle for 130.

Ok lets look at responds:

Drake is bit too good character. Althou its really just 3 moves. Barrel, AK-47 and gunslam and level 3. Nerfing atleast one of those would be more balanced.

For Big Daddy its kinda hard to come up with buffs. Technically he is good but you can dodge him quite easily. If we would make Big Daddy faster it would kinda ruin that character.

Mr. Zurkon i believe needs buff atleast some what. It barely even hits. Maybe his shot would be like Jak's Needle lasers and have homing ability?

Evil Cole is indeed a troll. That stupid level 1 set is SO EASY. Its also the only thing Evil Cole users do. Ruining cheap characters should happen more often. They did it with Sackboy, next one should be Evil Cole. Nerf that Gigaton punch! >:D

Sackboy got nerfed so hard which is sad because i cant see them doing the same to actually broken characters. :( (Althought 750AP cost for level 3 is probably the only good nerf i can agree)( Its also hard to imagine them to buff Jam session x( )

Kratos and Raiden need nerf ASAP. No butts about "combos". Nobody even does those. Its forward square, up square and up triangle for Kratos. And i swear to god if you dodge roll in wrong direction Kratos' level 1 moves extra bit. Raiden would be nice if forward dashes wouldnt combo to other moves so easily. Its bad because Raiden is one of the fastest but also strongest and combo-masters? Way too much.

I saw this Dante who just slaughtered me. I couldnt even move. It probably would had had AP burst at 150 but he managed to kill me by super so i probably didnt see it. Althou i guess its fine since Dante is hard to master. But IF there are infs they should be fixed :)

Like Dante, Sly is hard to master, but i feel like he has actual weakness with no blocking, dodge rolling and air dodging. Small nerf on level 1 and small buff to level 2 seems good enough.

Spike needs just super buffs. Otherwise he has amazing and fun move set. With good super he would be one of my mains.

Jak and Sir Dan are the worst characters and need buff in anyway almost. But its not gonna happen since they are just "hard to master". How in the **** are they so blind?! Sir Dan is probably one of the only characters whose 3x normal square DOES NOT do 40 AP. Sir Dan gets just 30 AP. Keep in mind Raiden's and Kratos' 3x normal square does give 40 AP. Hmph.

Even at 500 AP levl 3 cinematic supers would be incredibly not worth it but atleast it would be improvement.

Other characters i just had some personal opinions and in general work fine. Their buffs wouldnt even be that great. Hell i think Heihachi is better than i thought. A lot of easy ways to combo level 1 and AP gain is fast.

Some of the problems with buffs are that some Trials would become harder. We should also keep them in mind.

To good thing about this game is that even bad characters can be deadly. I have seen deadly Jaks and Sir Dans.

OmegaZero

I saw this Dante who just slaughtered me. I couldnt even move. It probably would had had AP burst at 150 but he managed to kill me by super so i probably didnt see it. Althou i guess its fine since Dante is hard to master. But IF there are infs they should be fixed :)

Dante is basically the worst rushdown character in the game.
If someone is skilled enough, they can get in 170AP combos, but actually hitting someone with Dante's attacks to start those combos is the hardest part of mastering him.

Most Dantes online will simply turtle, standing there holding the block button and hoping that you'll leave yourself open - and for good reason: he has some of the worst normals in the game, especially compared to Raiden, Kratos, or even Sir Dan.

The empty cancel can be often mistaken as an infinite since most Dantes just spam the triple square combo each loop until an AP burst, but it is not since it does result in an AP burst.
It's a natural result of Dante's ability to cancel square moves into triangle moves into circle moves upon a successful hit.

If they do nerf that, then they need to buff him to deal with zoners, either by buffing the guns (range/hitstun) or by giving him new tools like his demon/angel grapples.

EDIT:
Other characters i just had some personal opinions and in general work fine. Their buffs wouldnt even be that great. Hell i think Heihachi is better than i thought. A lot of easy ways to combo level 1 and AP gain is fast.

Heihachi has two ways to actually combo into his level 1. The second hit of square in midair (which you should never get hit by if you're in midair) and pulverizer (square after down circle). While many Heihachi online use forward square, down square and counter into level 1, this is not a combo and can be avoided by rolling.

Skyzard

Banned
I read the posts yesterday about Heihachi and again as OmegaZero mentions above as well. Thanks for the clarification, didn't know about the midair one, thanks. He isn't bad really more than anything else I'd like the time limit required to do his circle->square moves (especially the fast uppercut and instashock) increased...otherwise you need to hold the controller in a different way and it prevents you from tapping R. I hardly ever see players use the moves online either.

OwlyKnees

So, is Sir Dan's level 3 actually avoidable if you time your roll correctly? Haven't been able to pull it off online.

Not sure I actually want to, but just wondering if it's possible if timed correctly.

Dante is basically the worst rushdown character in the game.
If someone is skilled enough, they can get in 170AP combos, but actually hitting someone with Dante's attacks to start those combos is the hardest part of mastering him.

Most Dantes online will simply turtle, standing there holding the block button and hoping that you'll leave yourself open - and for good reason: he has some of the worst normals in the game, especially compared to Raiden, Kratos, or even Sir Dan.

The empty cancel can be often mistaken as an infinite since most Dantes just spam the triple square combo each loop until an AP burst, but it is not since it does result in an AP burst.
It's a natural result of Dante's ability to cancel square moves into triangle moves into circle moves upon a successful hit.

If they do nerf that, then they need to buff him to deal with zoners, either by buffing the guns (range/hitstun) or by giving him new tools like his demon/angel grapples.

EDIT:

Heihachi has two ways to actually combo into his level 1. The second hit of square in midair (which you should never get hit by if you're in midair) and pulverizer (square after down circle). While many Heihachi online use forward square, down square and counter into level 1, this is not a combo and can be avoided by rolling.

As i said, fix only if there are infs. There probably arent and i made a mistook normal combo to infinite. Oops.
Dante's slowness if you miss is balanced. If Dante attacks you correctly he can most likely combo on you for a long time. If you can dodge attacks it leaves Dante vulnerable. Seems pretty good.

Reason why i said Heihachi has so much comboes is that they probably only work online because of lag. So yeah, they might not technically be comboes but lag makes it.

Step

Something odd that happened with Dante is that I was on practice mode with a cpu lv 5 FP with inf lv 1 and she could always cast her lv 1 after my square,square, I didn't know he had a breach that bad that FP could just use her super on me.

And Jak doesn't need a buff except on his lv 2 you have to play a "don't touch me" game with him, keep them away with his foward triangle and if they get to close jump and charge his shotgun, you will pretty much be untouchable.

Something odd that happened with Dante is that I was on practice mode with a cpu lv 5 FP with inf lv 1 and she could always cast her lv 1 after my square,square, I didn't know he had a breach that bad that FP could just use her super on me.

And Jak doesn't need a buff except on his lv 2 you have to play a "don't touch me" game with him, keep them away with his foward triangle and if they get to close jump and charge his shotgun, you will pretty much be untouchable.

Mmmmm, i really like to play using only 2 moves.

...oh wait...

(and yeah yeah i might use use some moves more than some but in general there should definately be more than just 2 moves :p)

Step

Mmmmm, i really like to play using only 2 moves.

...oh wait...

(and yeah yeah i might use use some moves more than some but in general there should definately be more than just 2 moves :p)

I didn't mean that .-. just that you should not let them get to you so easily,ofc you won't have just to use those two moves all the time, his square attks connect really good and are easy to combo, his neutral triangle can interrumpt some lv 1, I was just saying those moves well timed are deadly, if they can't touch you they can't get AP to kill you.

I didn't mean that .-. just that you should not let them get to you so easily,ofc you won't have just to use those two moves all the time, his square attks connect really good and are easy to combo, his neutral triangle can interrumpt some lv 1, I was just saying those moves well timed are deadly, if they can't touch you they can't get AP to kill you.

Well either way i can see where you are going. Jak is best at keep away and hit and run. But only 2 moves are good for AP. Sure there is air mobility but its not that damaging.
Square moves are too delayed, you can easily dodge them and they leave Jak vulnerable.

Point is some rarely used moves need small AP buff. And level 2 ofc. :p

SSReborn

Jak needs a slight buff to certain things. I don't think you guys know how good the character is. I actually used to be on the side of him needing a buff really badly; not anymore.

Jak needs a slight buff to certain things. I don't think you guys know how good the character is. I actually used to be on the side of him needing a buff really badly; not anymore.
Seriously. I mean I made it all the way to a black belt by using only Jak. Though I do agree that his lvl 2 could use a buff of some kind. It's nearly impossible to set up, and people can see it coming a mile away.

SmithnCo

Man, the Vita buttons hurt my fingers in this game. Dualshock for life.

I guess Nariko's down triangle > down square isn't very reliable because people can dodge out. If they don't you could get them in a loop. Her level 2 could maybe be faster.

SmithnCo

"PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale and the title's forthcoming DLC releases will continue to be fully supported by Santa Monica Studio."

Hm, interesting. I wonder if they would ever work with Superbot again ( if they don't shut down that is :( ) or just use Santa Monica or another internal studio if this ever gets a sequel.

I was thinking about this a while ago, but I'd be okay if this game was supported by DLC well into the future (PS4?) so that a proper "sequel" wouldn't necessarily have to happen.

Sony is done fucking around with partners... Damn.

Well I guess there is the reason why they expanded their 1st party studios.

Team ICO is so friggin done after they get TLG out or canned.

WatTsu

So, is there another outcome for this other than "Sony quietly releases the current DLC packages, then puts the game on fire sale and later PS+ never to be heard from again"?

I hope so but am not optimistic.

So, is there another outcome for this other than "Sony quietly releases the current DLC packages, then puts the game on fire sale and later PS+ never to be heard from again"?

Well lets just say I wouldn't get my hopes up for a sequel anymore.

SmithnCo

At least we can buy the DLC to show our support for Superb...

Oh

But seriously, it sucks if they shut down. Promising studio (with an awesome website).

Probably not. Though I would be interested to see how a "freemium-esque" model would work for this game. (Free for PS+, maybe cheap for others) Could it exist on DLC? Probably not, but I want to believe.

Just seems insane if they shut down completely. After 1 friggin game that probably was mostly if not wholly funded by Sony. I mean they were independent studio, they couldn't have been puttin all their eggs in the Sony partnership basket.

Ryce

"PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale and the title's forthcoming DLC releases will continue to be fully supported by Santa Monica Studio."

PR translation: you'll get Kat and Emmett and nothing else.

This fucking sucks. :(

Oh my god thats awful!
I still thought that lay offs wouldnt hurt this much, but damn...
Best luck to ya developers.

And DLC will be done by Sony Santa Monica? If thats true then there could be hope for sequel. Just that its done by other company. Could it work?

It makes me wonder what people didnt like, missing important characters or having bad characters instead.
Seriously, are MENUS so ******* important???

350662-big_boss_salute_super.jpg

SmithnCo

PR translation: you'll get Kat and Emmett and nothing else.

This fucking sucks. :(

Kinda sounds like it. I don't know if Santa Monica would bother developing characters from the ground-up just for this game.

cyborg009

Banned
Sony is done fucking around with partners... Damn.

Well I guess there is the reason why they expanded their 1st party studios.

Team ICO is so friggin done after they get TLG out or canned.

Team ICO gets treated way too well apparently once Udea leaves the whole team will disband. And Jack Tretton should be fired.

Well there was something about more DLC after Kat and Emmet.
After that its hard to see new DLC :c

...Could they even do it? I mean if they worked the whole time with Superbot maybe they learned something? Maybe they can even use SSM's money and buy Crash here :p.

In future i hope this title will sell atleast 1 million. Its too harsh to call it "bomba".
Althou what is "bomba" limit anyways?

Camjo-Z

I'm guessing that this also spells the end of any future balance patches. Sir Dan will stay "hard to master", Sackboy will still be working his burlap butt off to get a Level 3, Toro's air infinite will forever let trolls run rampant in Time mode...

If only they had used Old Dante this wouldn't have happened.

In hindsight a lot of characters are bad. Atleast 14/20 (presentation wise, they do play well)

Fat Princess is in the ******* cover. That alone is a big mistake. It doesnt help she was one of the earliest characters ingame. She isnt all "All-Star".

Evil Cole was handled TERRIBLY. Both Good and Evil Cole should have had revealed at the same time. Knowing that youd get both it wouldnt disappoint. Also they need to share same character screen slot. NO TRANSFORMATION just same character slot.

All 3rd party characters are a ******* joke. Every single one are marketing characters.

Heihachi is least offencive. Atleast he has history with Playstation. But he is young Heihachi. Like in that new TagTeamTournament2 game. It doesnt help that in Wii U version he has MARIO costume. Real Playstation character mmhmm.

Raiden is cool cyborg ninja. Problem? He is not Snake. No matter what you say Snake is and will always be better than cyborg ninja. Also new game coming out, commercial character, blah..

Dante, oh god ****. To be honest i wouldnt even like Old Dante. There are more important characters for 3rd parties. This one is especially bad because this Dante is HATED. Hated character joins the game? Not good.

Big Daddy. Do i even need to go further? Yes i do. THEY GAVE HIM 2 STAGES, ITEM, A LOT OF BUZZ QUESTIONS AND EVEN PUT HIM ON COVER. Oh and most of that is commercial for Bioshock Infinite. Nggggghhhhhh

Now, the most requested characters are Crash, Spyro, Snake and Cloud. Whats common with them? Old school, thats what! Nostalgia would have seriously helped. I know its stupid but its the horrible true. No one likes these new characters. Even if you do, you would have liked old ones better. This is the sick awful horrid truth.

I may sound negative, but im just listing cold facts. I will play this game in the future. Its really fun. It has great ideas. But it took stupid ideas. Way too many stupid ideas. Hopefully if sequel does get made, people have learned.

SmithnCo

^^^

I do think some of the character marketing was rather baffling. Fat Princess getting so much screentime in prerelease stuff was off since she's one of the least played characters, and least known.

I'm guessing that this also spells the end of any future balance patches. Sir Dan will stay "hard to master", Sackboy will still be working his burlap butt off to get a Level 3, Toro's air infinite will forever let trolls run rampant in Time mode...

Yeah, that would be a real shame. I also remember when they said they were looking into spectate and other features which likely won't happen. And what about 1v1 ranked? :(

The online is passable but I would've really liked some tweaks, like being able to see and join lobbies. Sad that the IP and state of potential updates are in limbo now.

What else do they have in common?

None of them are owned by Sony and its subsidiaries. They probably couldn't get them if they tried.

Well yeah but money money money maybe?

Well you got Cloud. Apparently Square doesnt give characters easily. It took 2 years to get FF costumes on LBP

Crash and Spyro probably required way too much money. I bet it would have helped but they didnt took a chance.

Snake? Why not Snake? I dont see why not. I swear to god if its because of one character per IP rule.(If thats the case it would backfire in worlds most awful way with Evil Cole).

You know what, just get those characters. It could maybe even redeem this game. IM DEAD SERIOUS. If we get Crash or others as DLC we will see news about: "I was wrong, PS All-Stars is actually pretty good". IF THAT HAPPENS I WILL SO CALL THIS.

And the last thing they need to do is bring Zeus, or anything new in 3rd parties.

Top Bottom