• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

Ryce

Mink, do you know anything about the DLC? Are there still plans to release characters after Kat and Emmett?

Endo Punk

;_____;

You aren't that bad. You were once one of us before turning into the dark side.

Yeah and it kinda broke my heart ;_; I really wanted to like the game but not when it couldn't be genuine with me. Fuck they should of had a PS1 filter mode and really hammered home the nostalgia because I am all about nostalgia with my game tastes. I hope Sony doesn't give up on this type of game for next gen.

WatTsu

Re: that other thread -

I'm mystified as to how anyone who played this game could think it was bad unless they were predisposed to do so. I don't want to say I blame the Internet but I totally blame the Internet.

I'm as big a Nintendo fanboy as anyone and I think it did lots of things better than Smash.

SmithnCo

I'm mystified as to how anyone who played this game could think it was bad unless they were predisposed to do so. I don't want to say I blame the Internet but I totally blame the Internet.

I'm as big a Nintendo fanboy as anyone and I think it did lots of things better than Smash.

I feel the same way about the scoring system. People often cite it as being bad, but I really see nothing inherently bad about it. It's a fresh mechanic, and the idea of them copying Smash note-for-note does not sound appealing at all. When I first played the beta it took me a few matches to get used to it, but I soon found the system very fun. So it irks me when someone just says "lol they should've just copied Smash wholesale, I hate the super system!" Yeah, that totally wouldn't have gone badly.

There are other complaints which I think are justified, like a lack of modes and extra fanservice stuff like Smash usually has, but as far as actual fighting goes, I love it.

SSReborn

Yeah and it kinda broke my heart ;_; I really wanted to like the game but not when it couldn't be genuine with me. Fuck they should of had a PS1 filter mode and really hammered home the nostalgia because I am all about nostalgia with my game tastes. I hope Sony doesn't give up on this type of game for next gen.

If by the graces of god PSABR gets a sequel and they made Sony Santa Monica make it, I think it would turn out good Sony Santa Monica can really nail the presentation aspects of the game that can sell the game I think more then anything else the presentation screwed over PAS. I remember a friend telling me he wasn't gonna buy it because it felt and looked like a PSN game. Also with their experience from creating God of War Ascension MP and years worth of making combat games they can probably make it turn out well; probably.

Drencrom

Well, I guess that's the end of the hopes and dreams for a PSASBR sequel, a sad day indeed.
SSM will hopefully add more DLC and update the game onwards.

On the flip side:
we still got the game and each other <3

and it doesn't sound like SB is shutting down from their update

David Yang said:
SuperBot Entertainment can confirm that the relationship with SCEA has ended on good terms. We are extremely grateful to have had the opportunity to work on with Sony on Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale, and are extremely proud of the work we have done. SuperBot Entertainment will continue working on projects that reflect our passion for games and our commitment to creating award winning titles. We are very excited about beginning the next chapter of our future and invite all of our fans and supporters to follow our journey.

http://kotaku.com/5981571/sony-cuts-ties-with-playstation-all+stars-creators-studios-fate-in-question

Nah dude I'm not that cold. Don't want to rain on anyones parade. You guys enjoyed the game and that's all that matters.

RIP Superbot.

That's class, Ceppy

EDIT: And a shutout to Clockw0rk for being such a good sport about beta keys and whatnot!

Skyzard

Banned
Well, i cant really say why, but yea. I think more characters could still be coming.

That sucks for Superbot but yeah I'm glad we still get DLC and I hope Santa Monica aren't too afraid to make some balance changes where needed.

I'm not too bothered about a sequel yet, still plenty to get to grips with...but years of dlc would be great :p Really hope it isn't just the next 2. Fingers crossed.

OmegaZero

Sucks, but what can you do?
At least we got two more characters out of it that hopefully won't be broken.

Best of luck to Superbot in their future endeavors.

If by the graces of god PSABR gets a sequel and they made Sony Santa Monica make it, I think it would turn out good Sony Santa Monica can really nail the presentation aspects of the game that can sell the game I think more then anything else the presentation screwed over PAS. I remember a friend telling me he wasn't gonna buy it because it felt and looked like a PSN game. Also with their experience from creating God of War Ascension MP and years worth of making combat games they can probably make it turn out well; probably.

I'm thinking if they do a proper sequel, they should try to rebrand it somewhat. Reintroduce it, either scrap the super system or have that on top of a traditional ring out/health or percentage system. Have a better, more well rounded and Sony centric roster and a more cohesive art style, and better presentation because goddamn does the game look like an indie game in terms of menus and such.

I had a lot of fun with the hype around the game. It's a rough game, but I fully had faith it grow exponentially with sequels.

I dont know if this means SMS is in charge of working out a sequel with SB, or if the IP will go to someone else altogether, but I love this game, through its faults.

Clockw0rk

Just wanted to say huge thanks to all the gaffers who have supported us since day one and beyond. You guys are awesome.

Kat, Emmett, and Fearless coming out in about a week!

TimeEffect, are you going to be partnered with Man-is-Obsolete again for the tournament?

Just wanted to say huge thanks to all the gaffers who have supported us since day one and beyond. You guys are awesome.

<3

Right back at you. Thanks for contributing to a great game.

Ugh, remind me to never read a Kotaku comment again. One of them is literally "this game is so bad it sold like a PS Vita huehuehue."

How does one be that stupid and still be able to operate a keyboard?

Hope the best for you guys, thank you for taking the time out to both hawk over these forums and shower us with beta keys and feedback :)

Drencrom

It's really sad to see you guys go.

I hope all you peps at Superbot get through this one way or the other. Thanks for an awesome game!

Drencrom ya still up for da new Scraftycup?

Ofc, you handsome devil

i0kQINEFoMbxZ.gif

Thanks to everyone at Superbot for the hundred hours of fun i have had with the game so far, with many more to come! Also, thanks for that beta code, Clockw0rk! I hope this isn't the last we've seen of you guys.

As for Santa Monica taking over, i wonder if we'll get that Gravity Rush stage and the rest of the rumoured characters, i'm certainly down for it.

Sponge

Banned
So does this mean that news in March about DLC isn't gonna happen now?

This is awful.

Thanks for everything, Clock :(

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

Thank you, Clock! And farewell to you and all your friends at Superbot! We wish you guys success in what you'll do.

Step

Thanks for all the hard work and time you and the staff of SB put on this amazing game and I wish everyone at SB have a bright future, all of you are really talented.

you did my dream game come true and I can't be more grateful.

BeastM0de

Neo Member
Hats off to you guys, Superbot. This has been my most played game of this generation. I've loved fighting games since I was a kid, but none of them have clicked so well with me like this one.
If you guys work on another super only fighter with non Sony characters count me in for a day one purchase.

This is a really unfortunate, but expected turn of events. My best thoughts and wishes go out to everyone at SuperBot.

That said, at least from the sound of it, the studio will be okay and not face closure! So that's good, though it's a shame they'll have nothing to do with PSASBR anymore.

But the guys at Sony Santa Monica are a talented bunch, and Seth is still there, so hopefully they'll still have him oversee the game. I'm glad to hear this (allegedly) doesn't affect the future DLC beyond Kat, Emmett, and Fearless.

What I'm a little more worried about is whether or not the game will still get balance patches. I certainly hope so, as the game is still horribly unbalanced (especially for 1v1), but I have my doubts. Sony doesn't seem to believe in the game very much (understandable from a business perspective due to its fairly lackluster sales), but for those of us who do play it and love it, it'd be nice to know it's still going to be worked on balance-wise.

BeastM0de

Neo Member
The game is not that unbalanced for 1 on 1. Pretty much all of the characters are balanced for 2v2. In FFA some characters are better than others. In 1 on 1 some characters are better than others. Honestly the game doesn't even have a 1 on 1 quickmatch (the games biggest flaw imho) so how can people seriously comment on how balanced 1 on 1 is? The end of stock matches does not count.

The game is not that unbalanced for 1 on 1. Pretty much all of the characters are balanced for 2v2. In FFA some characters are better than others. In 1 on 1 some characters are better than others. Honestly the game doesn't even have a 1 on 1 quickmatch (the games biggest flaw imho) so how can people seriously comment on how balanced 1 on 1 is? The end of stock matches does not count.

Raiden utterly dominates 1v1. Dominates. And if the person playing Raiden in a 1v1 match is actually good with him, you're most likely toast.

I love you Clock ;__;. I dunno whats goin on over there but good luck anyhoo. Looking foreward to the DLC.

SmithnCo

Raiden utterly dominates 1v1. Dominates. And if the person playing Raiden in a 1v1 match is actually good with him, you're most likely toast.

Really? I knew he was OP for FFA but didn't know he was so good in 1v1.

He has a lot of hit confirms, right? Contrast that with a lot of other characters who have 1 or 2, and Nariko (lol). He probably could've used a bigger nerf in that case.

Nariko has one really reliable hit confirm for her Level 1 (throw the shield downwards after a short hop) and one "fake" hit confirm a là most of Sir Dan's.

Spinluck

Nariko has one really reliable hit confirm for her Level 1 (throw the shield downwards after a short hop) and one "fake" hit confirm a là most of Sir Dan's.

Is Heihachi's forward square also one of these fake hit confirms?

They all do it now, and I swear it did not work at one point.

Is Heihachi's forward square also one of these fake hit confirms?

They all do it now, and I swear it did not work at one point.

Yes. As far as I know, Heihachi's only true hit confirm is Pulverisor, which is horribly slow. You're probably just better off abusing his 3x AP glitch + throws to get up to his Level 2, TBH ;P

What's his 3x AP glitch?

If you charge his down Circle move until his fists glow red, it's supposed to give his next move 3x the AP gain. However, as long as his fists are glowing, any AP he receives from any means is tripled, meaning he can spam throws and gain monster amounts in no time flat. Other popular uses are intentionally standing in AP-draining traps such as the gas on Dreamscape in order to effectively triple your current AP in about 10 seconds.

And if the beach balls spawns... Gods have mercy on your foes.

Step

If you charge his down Circle move until his fists glow red, it's supposed to give his next move 3x the AP gain. However, as long as his fists are glowing, any AP he receives from any means is tripled, meaning he can spam throws and gain monster amounts in no time flat. Other popular uses are intentionally standing in AP-draining traps such as the gas on Dreamscape in order to effectively triple your current AP in about 10 seconds.

And if the beach balls spawns... Gods have mercy on your foes.

Wow now I'll never look heihachi the same way, that beach ball itself well used is a nightmare.

OmegaZero

Wow now I'll never look heihachi the same way, that beach ball itself well used is a nightmare.

I've never had the beach ball spawn, despite leveling my Heihachi up to 980. :/

Also, if he uses Raijin to charge up fully, grabs you and then uses down triangle to hit you into the ground, he'll gain 120 AP - enough for a level 1.
EDIT: I haven't seen much Heihachi use the 3x AP glitch online. Guess they don't know about it.

BeastM0de

Neo Member

Really? I knew he was OP for FFA but didn't know he was so good in 1v1.

He has a lot of hit confirms, right? Contrast that with a lot of other characters who have 1 or 2, and Nariko (lol). He probably could've used a bigger nerf in that case.

Raiden can't combo off of his grab. He has ZERO zoning options. Evil cole, and fat princess are better. I admit I am biased because I use e.cole and he has a pretty good matchup against raiden, but raiden isnt really that bad. I thought he was balanced well for 1 v 1 BEFORE the nerf. Yeah he was unbalanced in FFA but I felt that his throw crumple made him just dangerous enough.

What character do you use?

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goL1v6eyAPw
Ryko has a good video breaking down how raiden has suffered.

TheMink

Raiden can't combo off of his grab. He has ZERO zoning options. Evil cole, and fat princess are better. I admit I am biased because I use e.cole and he has a pretty good matchup against raiden, but raiden isnt really that bad. I thought he was balanced well for 1 v 1 BEFORE the nerf. Yeah he was unbalanced in FFA but I felt that his throw crumple made him just dangerous enough.

What character do you use?

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goL1v6eyAPw
Ryko has a good video breaking down how raiden has suffered.

That vid is cool, but damn, you know a raiden is bad when his best follow up to an over head down triangle is right square -_- (ending what would have been an AP burst combo) but i think that the vid is totally right regardless.

BeastM0de

Neo Member
That vid is cool, but damn, you know a raiden is bad when his best follow up to an over head down triangle is right square -_- (ending what would have been an AP burst combo) but i think that the vid is totally right regardless.

Yeah ryko plays with better raidens that he could have used in the video. If raiden had some combo potential off of his up throw I think he would be back up to par.

OmegaZero

Yeah, we've lightly discussed this before so I'll just quote myself:

Eh, Raiden doesn't really have any good moves to start combos for AP, and his kill confirms are all easy to see coming/punish.
I've died more from Raidens throwing out their lv1s when I least expect it.

The throw nerf really hurt his 1v1 potential imo (not that I'm complaining).

His standing square attack is the thing I get hit by the most now, due to how fast it comes out and how Raiden can turn around mid combo.

Top Bottom