• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

Skyzard

Banned
Could be a possibility that he jumped the gun and Abe is delayed...maybe he can clear it up. And let us know what's going on with Stranger's Wrath :p

SmithnCo

In my heart I want to believe there is still a possibility Abe could get in though, he could've easily been this game's Phoenix Wright. :(

I guess we'll see how the SSM support goes.

So has anyone seen anything about real sales figures? I was wondering just how high their expectations were? A cross post I made in the other thread:

Yeah it was pretty low, but still not terrible, see my post below this quote.

According to a banned website (I'm not sure what else has data on it), PSABR has sold 405,887 units to date worldwide. In comparison, Jump Super Stars (DS) has sold 553,021 units to date. Edit: Another comparison - Jump Ultimate Stars (DS) has sold 744,731 units to date. The main difference is that Jump Super Stars had an AMAZING roster compared to PSABR.

Aceun

This twitter stuff is kind of cray.

SSM and/or superbot should come out with an official blog post to alleviate fan concerns. We've gotten statements from a lot of third party sites and it just doesn't leave fans of the series with a lot of confidence.

Still, I guess it's reassuring to know we can expect something in March.

Also - this Abe stuff is just adding fuel to the fire.

My last tangential note; I don't think it's sales personally that's causing this separation. I wonder if there is some internal disagreement that we will just never know about. I'm really happy for Superbot and hope to see them develop a sick-tastic fighting game without the restrictions I imagine a party brawler comes with. If SSM believes in All Stars, I think they can do some pretty good amazing with a potential sequel/DLC.

SSReborn

This twitter stuff is kind of cray.

SSM and/or superbot should come out with an official blog post to alleviate fan concerns. We've gotten statements from a lot of third party sites and it just doesn't leave fans of the series with a lot of confidence.

Still, I guess it's reassuring to know we can expect something in March.

Also - this Abe stuff is just adding fuel to the fire.

My last tangential note; I don't think it's sales personally that's causing this separation. I wonder if there is some internal disagreement that we will just never know about. I'm really happy for Superbot and hope to see them develop a sick-tastic fighting game without the restrictions I imagine a party brawler comes with. If SSM believes in All Stars, I think they can do some pretty good amazing with a potential sequel/DLC.

That's what Greg from IGN was saying too he thinks that there was a disagreement.

OmegaZero

Okay, so now Rachets are using their down throw into a corner, then running into the corner, turning around, and using their level 1. :/

Any way to escape this one? Once you get grabbed?

Camjo-Z

Okay, so now Rachets are using their down throw into a corner, then running into the corner, turning around, and using their level 1. :/

I'm pretty sure they do that because the normal way (throwing into a corner and using Level 1 at a distance) allows Sackboy and Sly to teleport out of the Level 1 just before they're killed by it. So no, I don't think you can get out of it.

OwlyKnees

Can be avoided by delaying your wakeup (hold L1) and dodging towards at the moment your character gets up. Or by not delaying your wakeup and jumping and dodging at the precise moment when your character wakes up. Might take a little practice, but it does work.

SmithnCo

Those Dante combos look neat. I tried empty cancelling yesterday and it was fairly hard to do with consistency, so I'd probably only use it for confirms into super 1. Plus I don't know how worth it it really is to get good at it.

OmegaZero

Can be avoided by delaying your wakeup (hold L1) and dodging towards at the moment your character gets up. Or by not delaying your wakeup and jumping and dodging at the precise moment when your character wakes up. Might take a little practice, but it does work.

Sweet, I'll practice that.

Those Dante combos look neat. I tried empty cancelling yesterday and it was fairly hard to do with consistency, so I'd probably only use it for confirms into super 1. Plus I don't know how worth it it really is to get good at it.

The empty cancel isn't really as important as learning which moves can combo/cancel into other moves. I can do AP burst combos from a variety of combos now that don't use the empty cancel.
The hunger loop and arbiter throw loops are nice alternatives of the empty cancel if you get bored of just plain empty canceling.

Oh thank god. I was hoping we at least get a sizeable roster, if this really does end up being a one-off for Sony. I seriously hope they don't give up the concept, it can be done right and it can get people excited because they saw enough hype to support this type of game - they just fell short of expectations when it came to the roster, presentation, etc.

OmegaZero

You know how I said Raidens can easily be dealt with by turtling?
I take it back.

I was fooling around with Raiden in training mode and discovered that he has a guardbreaking move with fast startup that combos into his level 1. Simple two hit combo, dead.
EDIT: To be more specific, the guard broken stagger animation lets the level 1 connect, but you can just combo it into his forward square -> level 1 to make sure.

If only Dante could get a kill that easily.

Step

I hope Sony gives the IP another chance the next gen, and gets a better marketing, or a decent one at least, none of my friends(ps fans) know this game even exist.

It is really sad since I'm literally the worst player ever and yet I find myself having so much fun.

I'm exited to see what is coming in march, and I can't wait to get my hands on Kat and Emmett and see if I can finally find a character for my play style.

Sora_N

I just looked at PSN, there's a new trophy? It doesn't look like there's an easy way to get it too. :/ I haven't played since I got Plat.

BeastM0de

Neo Member
Yeah he has multiple set ups, but they aren't all that useful. I'm not saying he is a bad character, but he is very straightforward. Compare him with a fat princess that has just as many set ups+ throw options +hard knockdown options (bomb + twirl). Plus her air knight is unpunishable and can be used as a set up or a set up for a combo or a set up for a combo for a super. Fat princess isnt broken but has a lot of tools. e. Cole has at least 4 set ups. Lots of characters have multiple set ups and not all of them are practical.

Before the patch I would lose to raidens who weren't that good. One mistake led to a grab which led to a super. Now if I lose to a raiden they are probably better than me or at least playing better/at the same skill level. Some raidens still wreck me.

Ratched, good cole, e.cole, toro, sackboy, ratchet, dante, raiden, fat princess, sly are all very capable at 1 v 1. This is my personal list based on those who I have played against/which characters the good 1v1 players use and post on youtube. In some recent tournaments last week a Kratos and a nariko won (I believe dont quote me on that). So I am sure they are more than capable. If nariko had a decent level one Im sure she would be top tier. Kratos level one is tricky to confirm but there are a few creative ways to do it. He builds meter fast enough to make his level 2 more than adequate for use in 1 v 1.

Sorry for the lack of organization in this post. I'm up studying for multiple exams tomorrow(today actually!). The point of the post is that half of the cast is capable of being competitive in a 1v1 setting when used by the right player.
The rest of the cast fares better in 2v2 and some characters fare better in FFA. Drake is top tier in FFA, high tier in 2v2, and middle tier in 1 v 1 in my opinion.

Also I played a disgustingly good parappa recently so who knows where he fits in in this whole tier list.

master_emman

Neo Member
I just looked at PSN, there's a new trophy? It doesn't look like there's an easy way to get it too. :/ I haven't played since I got Plat.

Hi. Is this true? I actually want to play this game as long as the trophy list is alraedy final so I wont be looking back again once I get the plat or 100%.

BeastM0de

Neo Member
I believe the trophy corresponds with the new level they are about to release. I think it is achieved by doing a level 3 super with nariko on the new map(fearless?). Since it seems like superbot had a bit of DLC made before the split(tear) we could potentially get 1 MAYBE 2 more maps. They might have trophies as well.
Each new DLC map=potential trophy.

OwlyKnees

Also I played a disgustingly good parappa recently so who knows where he fits in in this whole tier list.

Parappa has been my main since the game released (space suit <3) but I'm willing to admit that he is on the lower side of tier lists. He is an extremely close-range character, and thus, doesn't have many decent options against zoning/keep-away characters. Decent AP burst combos, but getting in is the problem against a good player.

His level 1 is decent on newcomers who aren't aware they can block after the mic-grab (and for throwing out randomly when characters jump in), his level 2 (in 2v2) will only pretty much always get you two kills (three if you can time it right with respawns) and his level 3 is screen cleaning (which is infinitely poorer than timed ones).

Still love the little guy, though!

BeastM0de

Neo Member
Parappa has been my main since the game released (space suit <3) but I'm willing to admit that he is on the lower side of tier lists. He is an extremely close-range character, and thus, doesn't have many decent options against zoning/keep-away characters. Decent AP burst combos, but getting in is the problem against a good player.

His level 1 is decent on newcomers who aren't aware they can block after the mic-grab (and for throwing out randomly when characters jump in), his level 2 (in 2v2) will only pretty much always get you two kills (three if you can time it right with respawns) and his level 3 is screen cleaning (which is infinitely poorer than timed ones).

Still love the little guy, though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwejIn4-WYs&t=0m46s I think his level one has a true confirm using the punch. I'm not positive about that one. I was just surprised at how mobile he can be when utilizing the skateboard dive to approach.

TheMink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwejIn4-WYs&t=0m46s I think his level one has a true confirm using the punch. I'm not positive about that one. I was just surprised at how mobile he can be when utilizing the skateboard dive to approach.

Off the wall hit confirms are.... Problematic at best, gauging the proper distance is hard enough on the practice stage, but the inconsistency of wall placement and ground height on most levels compared to each other is just to sporadic to be a clutch option when you need it.
Ive attempted multiple off the wall hit confirms with Parappa, but my success rate is 40% at best.
I dont main Parappa by any means, so with a little practice i could bring that number up to 80% but im the type of person who wont even attempt something thats not 100%

I hope that we get some patches that introduce potential hit confirms for those that dont have them. Seeing as at this point its far easier to give a couple people the hit confirm than take away all the other characters hit confirms.

Idk how, but i hope Nariko gets a lvl 1 hit confirm (as well as a lvl 2 buff, but hey, one step at a time)

OwlyKnees

Nah, they can be air-teched out of. The problem with doing them against the CPU is that the CPU always (nearly always?) air-techs upwards after being hit, but other players will tech downwards or to the sides, also.

And yeah, his air forward-triangle (skateboard dive) is one of his best moves.

Step

Maybe it was 'make the sequel work like Smash Brothers'.

What are some good resources/pod-casts for ruminations on the situation?

I think is more about the odd selection of the characters, maybe was Sony itself the ones who wanted the cash in chars and SB wasn't happy about that, the delay could have a place on this too, that killed the hype since there was anything about the game tru all that time and messed up completly the schedule but games have delays all the time so who knows for sure.

Step

Edit: actually don't want to keep having the same argument so Ill redact my last comment. I really think this game is more balanced than it gets credit for.

Pretty much the problem is that no char plays the same way except you know and even they are somehow different, people think that if you don't know how to play as let's say Jak, Big Daddy and Sir Daniel, then they are crap ass characters, but you could totally watch matches online and see how people are kicking ass with every character.

there will always be that "cheap" character and is not fair to call it a broke game just because of that.

BeastM0de

Neo Member
Pretty much the problem is that no char plays the same way except you know and even they are somehow different, people think that if you don't know how to play as let's say Jak, Big Daddy and Sir Daniel, then they are crap ass characters, but you could totally watch matches online and see how people are kicking ass with every character.

there will always be that "cheap" character and is not fair to call it a broke game just because of that.

I agree. I personally only want a few changes and I think the game would be pretty dialed in.
1. Nerf drakes level 3 A BIT. Shorten it by a second or two and LET THE ZOMBIES ROLL (and air dodge).
2. Add a bit of a refractory period between a few of kratos moves. Currently whiffing attacks is not that punishable.
3. Put a range limit on sly's counter or add a long delay between counters.Also make some of the items/traps not counterable. (Countering the sackbot... countering mines...)

buffs
1.Give spike a solid hit confirm. Either make his shock cannon last longer or give him a move that causes a crumple (like sweet tooths n1 or fat Ps d1). Spike has enough moves that are bad that could easily replace this. Add some range to his slingshot(think ratchets up rocket). Make his teleport better.(maybe im just not that good with it but it has NEVER saved me from a super but slys escape using counters all the time). Lastly, makes spikes down throw have a faster hard knockdown. Spike has good a good tech chase using the rc car but the dthrow doesnt put spike on the ground quickly enough to use it.

2. Give heihachi a better counter. Make KUMA come out with an attack like a lunge or something. Something that can be set up for at least 1 guaranteed kill.

3. Give jak a decent hitconfirm. Hes a strong character so he doesn't need much help but 1 solid hit-confirm would bring him to the upper echelon of characters.

Step

3. Put a range limit on sly's counter or add a long delay between counters.Also make some of the items/traps not counterable. (Countering the sackbot... countering mines...)

buffs

2. Give heihachi a better counter. Make KUMA come out with an attack like a lunge or something. Something that can be set up for at least 1 guaranteed kill.

Speaking of those two, their counters are the two sides of a coin, the windows where sly's counter works is just too high, but if you miss the counter with heihachi you are so screwed, while with sly just spam it till anything hits you and you are good to go.

And god gotta hate when Kuma just commit suicide on Alden's tower, on 1 match everytime I got a lv 2 he just run to his death without killing anything, it is so funny and frustraiting, hell even when playing with bots, they run to that gap because they know he will just die.

Top Bottom