• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

Camjo-Z

Any tips for using Emmet? I've got a good handle on Sweet Tooth and Radec so I thought he would just come natural to me, but I'm playing like Helen Keller whenever I tried using him online.

Emmett's my new main, so here's what I've learned about him:

A. Set up a base as fast as possible. That means getting to the corner of a stage, throwing down a turret for suppressing fire, a rift extractor for some quick AP, and whichever weapon pod you want to use.

B. Nobody really seems to use them much, but his grenades are key. The rocket launcher grenades bounce, and the shotgun grenades stick to whatever they touch (including opponents.) People don't realize dodging them is important either, so you get a lot of AP from them.

C. As for Supers, his standard gun Level 1 sucks, so never use it. The shotgun super is good if you can hit confirm it with forward square, and the rocket super is amazing for blasting people in a crowd. His Level 2 is OK, but considering how devastating his Level 3 is you shouldn't really bother with it unless you're running out of time.

Aceun

Agreed on all your points. I wouldn't sleep on the level 2 though. It's very similar to Kratos' level 2 in that it's fast and vertical. It can be really devastating on any platform stage. Also, if you can corner an opponent they're downright screwed.

I'd be careful with the turret. I agree in setting it up immediately, but from that point I'd use it sparingly. Smart opponents can beat up the turret for some solid AP, which is counter productive. Great for interrupts though.

And yes - GRENADES ARE KEY! Forward punch into the shotgun grenade, switch to rocket and throw in an extra one for good measure.

Vysetron

Neo Member
Everything Camjo said is true, especially regarding shotgun grenades. You get 6 of them, and the arc is fantastic. Toss them everywhere and laugh.

Ran rp

Okei, I've had this god-awful glitch three times now. I can handle most of the other glitches, but this forces you to restart the system and nearly gives me a seizure in the process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoplnpEwAWg

Sort it out, Superbot.

Imagine how it was during the betas. Play 1-2 matches, freeze, reboot system. 1-2 matches, freeze, reboot system. 1-2 matches, freeze, rage.

It was fun as hell though so I'd do this for hours just to play "one more game", haha.

Ryce

Reposting this so you guys can get a general sense of what Zeus might play like.

Square - Melee
Square - Haymaker -> Body Blow -> Lightning Double Punch
Side Square - Blade of Olympus (Mashable)

Triangle - Lightning
Triangle - Lightning Spheres (Mashable) [Air]
Side Triangle - Lightning Haymaker -> Lightning Uppercut
Up Triangle - Upwards Lightning Sphere
Down Triangle - Lightning Strike [Air - Ground Pound]

Circle - Magic
Circle - Deflect
Side Circle - Teleport
Up Circle - Flight
Down Circle - Force Lift

Throws
Side Throw - One-Handed Drag

Supers
Level 1 - Blade of Olympus Lightning Strike
Level 2 - Pillars of Lightning
Level 3 - Titan Zeus

Gotta start that March DLC hype train!

Emmett tips

Thanks for the tips! I didn't even realize his level 1 changed like that.

Also, I know I'm not a regular this community, but I've been a lurker in this thread since the days of CC, silently hoping for a leak about Crash, Spyro, and Gabe Logan that never came ;_;. Anyways, if more people are needed for the tournament I'd be honored to join and pair up with a random. I'm not crazy good by any means, but I usually linger between the purple-red belt range.

Reposting this so you guys can get a general sense of what Zeus might play like.

Square - Melee
Square - Haymaker -> Body Blow -> Lightning Double Punch
Side Square - Blade of Olympus (Mashable)

Triangle - Lightning
Triangle - Lightning Spheres (Mashable) [Air]
Side Triangle - Lightning Haymaker -> Lightning Uppercut
Up Triangle - Upwards Lightning Sphere
Down Triangle - Lightning Strike [Air - Ground Pound]

Circle - Magic
Circle - Deflect
Side Circle - Teleport
Up Circle - Flight
Down Circle - Force Lift

Throws
Side Throw - One-Handed Drag

Supers
Level 1 - Blade of Olympus Lightning Strike
Level 2 - Pillars of Lightning
Level 3 - Titan Zeus

Gotta start that March DLC hype train!

Daaamn. I'd forgotten how fucking crazy GoW3 looks on that final showdown. Amazing.

Ryce

Someone at GameFAQs looked into the latest patch and claims to have found the following data. If it means anything, the account's been around for a few months.
Teddie, Ico, Rau Utu, 2014_Crsh (No idea who this is), Scrt bss (Secret boss?), Chimera, Rohn, Rudy, V. C (vampire cole? lol hope not), Blob, EchCme (echochrome? dunno), Chloe, Charlie Cutter, and Jack McrReady.

now these could be ANYthing: minions, outfits, stages, etc. They could also be removed characters as previously said. There are plenty more actually, but they are too well coded/unreadable to guarantee if they could even be something new at all. For example, the stage fearless is coded as flss. I would've never known that this was the stage. Then there is -Do which is Dojo.

And if anyone can access the data files of the vita I'd be greatly appreciated, since I haven't modded the vita or done any other kind of illegal activities on it. I don't plan to either actually.

Oh yeah, no Abe. Either it is in some unreadable text or they didn't put him in yet. No Lara Croft either actually.

^ Interesting. If true, no Final Fantasy-related hints is really depressing.

One thing about it really screams "hoax" to me, though: the "2014_Crsh" part. It's blatantly obvious what that's hinting at, yet he makes no mention of it. Just seems to be a bit too convenient and obvious IMO.

Yeah, i have to agree the Crash baiting in that makes me a bit weary. Also, its been a few weeks since i've really played this game for a long period of time, but i'm loving the new characters a lot.

Camjo-Z

His info doesn't make any sense considering what we know. Rumbalumba already checked out the files in the game, and he didn't find any of this stuff. Are we supposed to believe that they added data for a massive amount of DLC in the recent patch? It's a hoax.

Skyzard

Banned
Lumines stage (slow-mo background play, blocks dropping above etc) ? I want loads more stages of course with different environments and themes, but I'd love to show lumines some gratitude. Could be a fun stage too.

Man I hope SM doesn't just lay low after being "in-charge".

Ryce

The guy at GameFAQs hasn't really followed up with anything substantial, so it's sounding more likely that he's lying.

ZeroCDR

I had a GameStop giftcard so I went ahead and put it towards this, was especially interested in the cross-buy feature since I just got a Vita recently too. Downloading the update now!.. seems to be taking quite some time lol

I played the beta for a bit and enjoyed it, any tips for a newbie like myself?

TheMink

130 ap combo emmet for those interested.

Pretty difficult. Requires wall bounce.

Turret down, shotgun:

let the turret hit first, then:

Side2 (wall bounce) Up2 Jump Up2

Easy in concept, difficult in practice.

If you dont want to wait for the turret to hit first you can just go for the combo and occasionally the turret will hit right after the final shotgun hit bursting the opponent, but it will also sometimes hit before the last shotgun hit stopping them in mid air so you cant follow up with the jump up2

Just found a far easier version, still wall bounce and turret, but this one involves the sticky.

First off make sure the sticky explodes as you shoot the first time, because if it explodes at the same time as your second shotgun hit you wont actually hit.

Nuetral2 (allow turret hit, preferably as soon as it explodes if you can time this) then side2 up2

More versatile wall bounce positions because the jump up2 after the first to shotguns has to be carefully placed, but you can side2 up2 off a wall pretty much anywhere.

All in all not very applicable, you will likely just sticky-> side2 (wall) up2 for 90ap alot. But its there if you can manage it. Hopefully someone finds a way to get the extra ten without the turret.

Sorry if thats confusing as hell lol.

iqOv2D0m8IvVS.jpg

Edit: that picture is not of the actual burst moment btw, the enemy wont be right in front of you when bursted.

WatTsu

I had a GameStop giftcard so I went ahead and put it towards this, was especially interested in the cross-buy feature since I just got a Vita recently too. Downloading the update now!.. seems to be taking quite some time lol

I played the beta for a bit and enjoyed it, any tips for a newbie like myself?

No tips, but a request: please learn to use characters that aren't Kratos or Raiden.

Ploid 3.0

I wish Emmett could just change weapons without having to go to a spot for them, like toro's costumes. For the change animation it could be a drop to him. Bah

Ploid 3.0

I can understand why they'd want to limit the rockets I guess but other people have grenades and mines all day, it's not like he has awesome mobility to get to what he need. The turret seem to mainly help keep people from comboing you for too long if you're lucky.

Shotgun's grenades are timed, so while I twiddle my thumbs I'm reduced to melee and calling turrets for attacks (shotgun range is like elbow distance), but it has the most ammo.

Rocket launcher has range option while you have it and the grenades blow up on contact, 3 charges.

I'd like to stay in shotgun more if it had a range option, but it seem best to blow through rocket's ammo and go back to standard pew pew pew stuff.

TheMink

I can understand why they'd want to limit the rockets I guess but other people have grenades and mines all day, it's not like he has awesome mobility to get to what he need. The turret seem to mainly help keep people from comboing you for too long if you're lucky.

Emmet is THE BEST at hunkering down.

If he didnt have to to keep himself stocked the turrets and depot would never stop your ap gain, ever because you never have to stop to reload.

Kat supers are pretty mediocre, but thats ok, her 3 is surprisingly difficult to use haha.

Ploid 3.0

Emmet is THE BEST at hunkering down.

If he didnt have to to keep himself stocked the turrets and depot would never stop your ap gain, ever because you never have to stop to reload.

Kat supers are pretty mediocre, but thats ok, her 3 is surprisingly difficult to use haha.

I'd welcome a penalty, and wish there was one added to the likes of drake which has a awesome barrel, shooting range, and grenade types. I'm still messing with Emmett but he has little defense like Radec and Sackboy (there is throwing bounce grenades on the wall and such to blast them back though), that turret is like candy to people looking for ap. It seems better to not even use it.

I need to practice dodging Kat's super 2, super 3 eats me up. I mainly play 1v1 so the attention is always on me.

Maybe he's a good melee character and I need to do that more, considering that I'd probably want to hold the ammo in case it's the super1 I want to use. Hmm.

KalBalboa

Banned
Just played a bunch of matches online with Ploid and some other friends. Those were some of the funnest matches I've played in this game.

I'll say it again: All-Stars is a god damned blast. Adding in Kat & Emmett & Fearless added a good amount of variety. There's a weird multiplication that goes on with each new character, I feel, that really opens things up. It's amazing how much fun we had when there weren't Kratos & Raiden to combat in every fight.

Ploid 3.0

That was some interesting off the fly rules to keep things fresh. That was the first time I played stock and I was on the edge of my seat wondering who would win that. The vita's battery added drama to the match lol. Almost seem staged hahah.

KalBalboa

Banned
That was some interesting off the fly rules to keep things fresh. That was the first time I played stock and I was on the edge of my seat wondering who would win that. The vita's battery added drama to the match lol. Almost seem staged hahah.

I know! Alpha Male had me down to a science. I'm starting to really get into Nariko and I think others will too now that Fearless is up and has that level three trophy of her's.

I really like doing "Cartoony characters only" kind of rules. I think it changes things up a bit. I like rotating my roster around as often as possible. I was tempted to do a 2 v 2, but I knew you guys weren't able to communicate.

Ploid 3.0

I know! Alpha Male had me down to a science. I'm starting to really get into Nariko and I think others will too now that Fearless is up and has that level three trophy of her's.

I really like doing "Cartoony characters only" kind of rules. I think it changes things up a bit. I like rotating my roster around as often as possible. I was tempted to do a 2 v 2, but I knew you guys weren't able to communicate.

Yeah I would have never picked spike if not for that. I usually stick with 1 or 2 characters in fighting games.

I'm about ready to give up on this game

Too many disconnects (basically 3 out of 5) and too many fucking Raiden's or Kratos

Basically game has become what I feared, which is basically a community that consists of no casuals. Nothin' but manchildren who get to practice all day.

Hmmmmmm more leaks you say? Lets analyze.

The first 4 characters are definately playable characters. Ico and Teddie, definately had some requests and didnt Atlus allowed Teddie for this game? That guy from Mark of Kiri?(Odd choices, odd choices everywhere(not necessarily bad)) and ofc obvious Crash. Whats interesting is that it has 2014 in it. Did they actually leaked 2014 Crash Bandicoot Reboot? Hmmmmm

Scrtbss is probably secret boss. Or stage. But what could it mean.. Remember, that it probably represents franchise that has playable character so that you can get 'level3 on stage' - trophy. :p

And the rest are definately minions. Those characters are waaaay too minor to be playable(sorry Chimera fans :/). I mean, Blob? Echocrome?

..This is of course if this is real. Honestly there has been so much correct leaks that i dont know what to think. Oh wait, no Zeus or Isaac in there. I know what to think.
Weeee

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
PSY・S;47684047 said:
Imagine how it was during the betas. Play 1-2 matches, freeze, reboot system. 1-2 matches, freeze, reboot system. 1-2 matches, freeze, rage.

It was fun as hell though so I'd do this for hours just to play "one more game", haha.

I disagree here, at least on the open beta I thought interestingly enough that was the smoothest version of the game.

As for the new characters, they have already been mastered or at least have a lot of advanced users, and I'm almost certain these 2 will both be receiving nerfs in the future.

Ploid 3.0

Why am I still awake playing this game, it's 1:50 am. I moved from bouncy grenades to sticky timed bombs. More ammo and well it's just more ammo. Oh I like the angle that it's thrown, Sucks that I don't really get to shoot stuff but I try to do those melee and hope that none of the high reachers hit me first (most likely will).

Sora_N

I'm about ready to give up on this game

Too many disconnects (basically 3 out of 5) and too many fucking Raiden's or Kratos

Basically game has become what I feared, which is basically a community that consists of no casuals. Nothin' but manchildren who get to practice all day.

Was excited for Kat, then realized I don't really care about this game anymore. :/ Feel same lol.

Hmmmmmm more leaks you say? Lets analyze.

The first 4 characters are definately playable characters. Ico and Teddie, definately had some requests and didnt Atlus allowed Teddie for this game? That guy from Mark of Kiri?(Odd choices, odd choices everywhere(not necessarily bad)) and ofc obvious Crash. Whats interesting is that it has 2014 in it. Did they actually leaked 2014 Crash Bandicoot Reboot? Hmmmmm

Scrtbss is probably secret boss. Or stage. But what could it mean.. Remember, that it probably represents franchise that has playable character so that you can get 'level3 on stage' - trophy. :p

And the rest are definately minions. Those characters are waaaay too minor to be playable(sorry Chimera fans :/). I mean, Blob? Echocrome?

..This is of course if this is real. Honestly there has been so much correct leaks that i dont know what to think. Oh wait, no Zeus or Isaac in there. I know what to think.
Weeee

Like others have said, the Crash baiting immediately made me think it was fake, not because it would be so unlikely by now, but because it conveniently has "2014" next to it, not so subtly implying that it would be the redesigned Crash that has been leaked a while ago (which would be pretty obvious if he was included and i don't see why they would label him that way in the code), as well as the fact that the guy pretended not to know who or what "2014 Crsh" could be reffering to, as if it was too cryptic for him to decipher, even though it's plain as day. I would have had an easier time swallowing it if not for that remark.

I'm loving the new characters so far. I don't care what anyone says about Emmett being no All-Star, he's a pretty cool addition to the roster. Apart from the cool B&B elements, his move set feels a bit sparse to me right now, but he definitely feels like a potent character and plays unlike the other gun wielders in the game. Kat on the other hand felt a bit overwhelming to me at first, but i really took to her quickly. Last night i've learned how to do 8-9 AP burst combos in practice mode (granted, many of them are just variations of 3-4 basic ones). For comparison's sake, the most AP burst combos i can do with anyone else is one, and even that's only for a handful of characters. That's mostly because i haven't put time into any of the combo heavy characters yet, but just the fact that playing as Kat has compelled me to learn so many combos says a lot for me. However, actually landing them under pressure in FFA or even 2v2 is another matter altogether, but i guess i just need to put in more time until they become effortless for me.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Personally, I find Kat and Emmett to be great examples of what everyone in the game should feel like. You can tell they were "late" characters to the game, rather than some of the first made, in that they emphasize the strengths and weaknesses of the creators very well.

Kat has a branch in her base combo chain (all the best seem to), unique movement options, moves that can truly help out her teammates (Grav Repulse and Attract are great for her and for opening up enemies to others kills and supers), and Supers that actually have Solid setups and uses, without being over-powered, or under cooked. For all the burst combos she has, most of them require her to start the chain on the ground, which is more and more unlikely as people learn that aerial combat makes it harder to die VS many of the characters in this game.

All of her confirms take some kind of setup or commitment too, which makes her a prime target to kill during those times. It's her balancing factor; She can't flail about and protect herself as well as Raiden, and her lvl 1 is pretty risky in the simple fact that it roots her in place for a "long" time, on hit or whiff.

Her throws leading to combos is also great, and the fact that none of them lead to threshold combos (since they force aerial state) is well done. Steal some of the enemies AP, earn some for yourself... well balanced. For all their utility, they also have kinda crappy activation range, and once again, she's fairly punishable if she misses.

Oh, and I'm glad they choose the Spy outfit for her default alt, personally. It's more unique (even if Kat's is nice, I tired of the "schoolgirl is always the bonus costume!" mentality of Japanese games), and I like the clash of Light-hearted Kat with a costume that seems all serious and professional. Plus is also lightly references Yunica/Sea Wasp, while her other outfits have no real ties to any other big-deal characters.

I'm glad we'll get the Spy outfit eventually, moreso because it's like the "supervillan" to her normal "superhero" personaliy, than anything else.

I haven't played Emmett, but I've fought along side one the entire time I've been learning Kat, and I have to say, I really enjoy what I've seen. Rocket Lvl 1 is the best kind of "oppurtunistic kill!" super that this game has (and basically outdoes what Nariko's Lvl 1 should have done in the beginning), and his lvl 2 is great in the fact that it's not easy to dodge at all, with kill potential on the drop, and on the long-lingering Mist that stays around afterwards.

I don't mind the idea that Turrets give the enemey AP when hit. The fact that it distracts the enemey from your players, and keeps them from hitting YOU, is a strategic tradeoff. Yourself or a teammate can kill the distracted player handily, and for all the combo-stopping and threshold-expansion it provides, I think it's worth it. Fighters are generally about balancing risk and reward, and I think this provides a good version of it, for this game.

Fearless does seem like a great stage, and it's funny, as it's Mashup doesn't really stand out to me. Falling off a platform into a lower area feels like... something that could have happaned in Heavenly Sword anyway. The fact it transiations between 2 intimate areas (which seem to be the favorite types for most players) is great, and it's stage hazard (the track) and bounty (the pots to the side) are all worthwhile.

Now for the Fanservice of these characters... Kat's animations are all really cute / well done, I love her fluidly-waving fingers on her first taunt. Her floating victory image is great, and the transition of emotions in her loser portrait is very fitting, and a solid take on what you'd expect of her images in Gravity Rush. I'm not so happy with her victory music, though... it doesn't seem as solidly memorable or tied to the source material as I'd hope. It sounds like "All Stars" version of GR-like themes, but I'd rather just have straight forward GR themes, really.

I haven't seen Emmett's fanservice elements much, but his poses all look incredibly cool, actually. His victory is Boss-like, his loss is setup very well, and the Win Pose that has him sitting on the Hawk is so loud-and-proud that it makes me smile, even when it's from the opponent winning.

Haven't cared much for the DLC minons, I wish there was MORE to them. Like unique from-their-game animations, or a taunt associated with each one. The new models are nice enough, and I might spend some spare PSN points on a few when I have extra, but I can't say I'd rather buy them, than a PSMobile game, or a good Mini, or soemthing... I'd rather pay comparable prices for expanded victory music options, for comparision.

All in all, very impressed with what is on offer here. Superbot's strengths outweigh their weaknesses, to me, and really, I think it's sad to have possibly only 1 more iteration of DLC from them for this game. This game kinda shines in the potential for DLC, and the delivery method on display for this first pack is a great example of how to expand the game without shooting it in the foot with community splintering and ultimately pointless outrage.

Ran rp

I disagree here, at least on the open beta I thought interestingly enough that was the smoothest version of the game.

As for the new characters, they have already been mastered or at least have a lot of advanced users, and I'm almost certain these 2 will both be receiving nerfs in the future.

I'm talking about the earlier closed betas. I was in all of the invite only betas before it was opened up to Plus/everyone.

Top Bottom