• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

TheMink

Kat and Jak's team synergy is ridiculous.

I think i see the connection, but could you elborate a little further?

Also i thinka KratosEmmet would be nigh unstoppable in theory. They just setup shop in the corner and Kratos keeps people from staying close, what he does best in 2v2 imo.

SmithnCo

GGs Scrafty.

Also i thinka KratosEmmet would be nigh unstoppable in theory. They just setup shop in the corner and Kratos keeps people from staying close, what he does best in 2v2 imo.

Emmett overall seems like a good 2v2 partner. Setup turrents and whatnot while a melee character does some of the dirty work.

SSReborn

She basically helps to make up for alot of Jak's flaws as a character. The way her combo strings work they set up the easiest level 1's for Jak. As soon as an opponent is caught in her string you as a Jak player can just run up and use your level 1 and the opponent can't do anything about it. I've got many double kills in 2 v 2 since I started playing with team because of this very reason.

You can also take shots during her combo's at the opponents and it will not mess the combo up.

They both have an offense that relies on air game and they also both have very fast movement they just work really well together in my opinion.

TheMink

She basically helps to make up for alot of Jak's flaws as a character. The way her combo strings work they set up the easiest level 1's for Jak. As soon as an opponent is caught in her string you as a Jak player can just run up and use your level 1 and the opponent can't do anything about it. I've got many double kills in 2 v 2 since I started playing with team because of this very reason.

You can also take shots during her combo's at the opponents and it will not mess the combo up.

They both have an offense that relies on air game and they also both have very fast movement they just work really well together in my opinion.

Thats pretty epic.

Well, I've been hesitant to join in and play with you guys because I'm embarrassingly bad at the game and didn't fancy the idea of getting mercilessly schooled, but maybe playing with you all will help me get a little better. ;)

My PSN name is IrregularHunterX. Anyone interested in playing later tonight? I'll be free at around 11pm Pacific. Do any of you play that late?

SmithnCo

Well, I've been hesitant to join in and play with you guys because I'm embarrassingly bad at the game and didn't fancy the idea of getting mercilessly schooled, but maybe playing with you all will help me get a little better. ;)

My PSN name is IrregularHunterX. Anyone interested in playing later tonight? I'll be free at around 11pm Pacific. Do any of you play that late?

I'll add you, I sometimes play that late. Maybe not tonight though cause I gotta get up early.

4nnXroL.jpg

So is this just a crazy random happenstance, or the new protocol for rage-quitters?

KevinCow

Banned
Played the game for the first time in a bit tonight.

Kat seems kinda too good. Those supers are just ridiculous. Level 1 is like Sweet Tooth's but faster, more range, and doesn't kick the opponent away so better at getting multiple kills. Level 2 is crazy hard to dodge unless you're in the perfect position. And level 3 is probably tied with Kratos for the best transformation super.

Emmett's cool, but seems hard to play.

I'm sad to say I've pretty much given up on Big Daddy and Sir Dan and switched back to Sweet Tooth.

Camjo-Z

I have a newfound appreciation for Spike after seeing JStein play him. Man knows how to throw those bananas and charge those swords like nobody's business. Speaking of which, sorry for what seemed like a ragequit near the end there, my connection likes to randomly crap out for no reason. I thought the last match was going to do the same thing, kept seeing yellow and red bars abound.

KalBalboa

Banned
I'm growing really fond of how you level up no matter what mode you're in. Recently I've been playing lots of four player free for alls online with friends and just experimenting with characters I'm unfamiliar with. It's been nice to kick back and still have some "ranked benefits," such as costume and animation unlocks.

Plus, I'm finally getting used to Nariko. She's great.

So since people seem to have generally come to the conclusion that Jak is a lot better than initially thought, who does everyone think is the worst/lowest-tier character? My money's on Sir Dan. Any other contenders?

So since people seem to have generally come to the conclusion that Jak is a lot better than initially thought, who does everyone think is the worst/lowest-tier character? My money's on Sir Dan. Any other contenders?

Pff, Sir Dan's great if he's used properly (AKA not against a turtling SmithnCo).

I think that post-nerf Sackboy and unfortunately Toro inhabit the lower echelon of characters. Both can have a hard time building AP when the opponent is staying too close/far away from them, and their Supers are garbage for how much they cost.

Pff, Sir Dan's great if he's used properly (AKA not against a turtling SmithnCo).

I think that post-nerf Sackboy and unfortunately Toro inhabit the lower echelon of characters. Both can have a hard time building AP when the opponent is staying too close/far away from them, and their Supers are garbage for how much they cost.

Oh yeah, I can definitely see Toro being the worst. But even though Sackboy's been heavily nerfed, his level 3 is still absolutely devastating and pretty much a guaranteed win if someone can pull it off...

KalBalboa

Banned
Oh yeah, I can definitely see Toro being the worst. But even though Sackboy's been heavily nerfed, his level 3 is still absolutely devastating and pretty much a guaranteed win if someone can pull it off...

Very true. I'd say Sir Dan or Toro, but the longer I play the smaller the margin I see. Kratos still needs to be tuned down a bit.

Very true. I'd say Sir Dan or Toro, but the longer I play the smaller the margin I see. Kratos still needs to be tuned down a bit.

Yeah, I'm still of the mind that both Kratos and especially Raiden still need to be nerfed. I also think Nariko needs some buffs to her AP gain and level 1 and/or 2 supers.

This doesn't seem to be quite as popular a notion, but I also think PaRappa needs an AP buff. It's so hard to for him to get in against ranged characters (especially when the players using them know what they're doing), that the hits he does manage to get should count for more.

KalBalboa

Banned
Yeah, I'm still of the mind that both Kratos and especially Raiden still need to be nerfed. I also think Nariko needs some buffs to her AP gain and level 1 and/or 2 supers.

This doesn't seem to be quite as popular a notion, but I also think PaRappa needs an AP buff. It's so hard to for him to get in against ranged characters (especially when the players using them know what they're doing), that the hits he does manage to get should count for more.

If Nariko is buffed it should be ever so slightly. It's hard to tell where the AP economy falls with Kratos in the mix.

Tone him down first, then judge. I think Raiden is actually ok, seeing as how often I can walk through him with Jak, Drake, or Emmett already.

KevinCow

Banned
I just don't understand why this game lacks ranked 1v1. It's impossible to tell how good I am or get better when I have to deal with three other people.

Like whenever I try to do a basic two or three hit combo, suddenly some asshole shows up out of nowhere and interrupts it. But if somebody else is playing Raiden or Kat or something, they can pull off a million hit combo with ease.

Ploid 3.0

Emmett vs Kat 1v1 is a nightmare for Emmett... Back to Cole. Kat is so good, Emmett can't seem to slow her down. I tried using the turret to hit her on it's way down, calling another turret when she's trying to kill my current turret for AP, using the turret as bait so she kill it so I can get a drop ammo or call a drop at all. She's fast, and starts combos off of almost everything.

God, I am so bad at comboing in this game. I see people do crazy combos online and I try to replicate even part of them in practice mode, and I can never do it. It's so frustrating.

I did just win a match as Dante though, so that was nice.

I also learned that Kat's up throw is basically a hit confirm for her level 2, so that's good to know since I'd really like to get good with her. I enjoy using her a lot.

So many bizarre glitches. I keep suddenly winning stock matches I clearly am losing just by killing someone who's got several lives left. After I win and get the RP for the match, I go back to the character select screen only to find out that none of the levels I gained actually stuck. It's so weird.

I was also totally immune to one Sackboy player's level 3. I didn't get stuck in a bubble and he couldn't touch me. Huh.

So yeah, it just simultaneously happened.

Hey, I played you a couple of times tonight (IrregularHunterX). You totally schooled me. Sorry for providing absolutely no challenge whatsoever. :p

SmithnCo

Big Daddy. Slow moving, has slow attacks, and almost no range. Huge hitbox too, so unfortunately he mostly becomes a punching bag. His super 1 is pretty terrible and at least in 1v1, his 2 is too easy to dodge. And good luck against any kind of projectile spam.

The invincibility frames are nice but it's not nearly enough to make him good.

KalBalboa

Banned
Emmett vs Kat 1v1 is a nightmare for Emmett... Back to Cole. Kat is so good, Emmett can't seem to slow her down. I tried using the turret to hit her on it's way down, calling another turret when she's trying to kill my current turret for AP, using the turret as bait so she kill it so I can get a drop ammo or call a drop at all. She's fast, and starts combos off of almost everything.

To be fair, Kat versus Cole sounds really entertaining.

TheMink

Does learning Dante's empty cancel generate alot of hate mail or is it 'allowed' to do it?

If someone gives you hate mail they are full of crap, the empty cancel is a necessity for Dante players imo.
If you did square square square EBC repeat i could understand someone getting frustrated but that is the worst use of the EBC anyway. It grants you a max of 130 and takes an eternity. You can get 160 no problem by other means.

Using it as a hit confirm for a super is way more than OK because Raiden just right squares super anyway.

So yes its allowed :p

Camjo-Z

I'm starting to think that Emmett seriously needs a few buffs to stand toe to toe with the other characters. His moveset is good but there are a few little things that give him a major disadvantage against a lot of other guys, mainly:

A. Ammo
B. Turrets giving opponents AP
C. Drops not hurting opponents/taking too long

The ammo is a cool idea in theory but bad in practice. When you have to keep running back to your ammo pod to get more with a Fat Princess on your tail ready to kill you once you stop on the ground for two seconds, it gets pretty hard to do much. The turrets are also a double edged sword that's a little too sharp on one side - it should be breakable, but giving opponents so much AP for it seems counter intuitive for Emmett. And finally, the drops take way too long to call down. Why does Emmett have to stop and wait so long for them to arrive? They need to either come down faster, not make Emmett stop for so long, or have all of them hurt people as they drop like the turret one does.

EDIT: Also, why can't he call in drops when your partner is using a Level 3 in 2v2. You could get some valuable AP with the rift extractor and distract opponents with the turret, but nope - they all disappear once their super activates and you can't make more until it ends.

OmegaZero

Hey, I played you a couple of times tonight (IrregularHunterX). You totally schooled me. Sorry for providing absolutely no challenge whatsoever. :p

Whoa, I fought a GAFfer online in random matches. :O
Who were you playing as? I find it hard to remember my matches from usernames (which is a problem that tends to pop up whenever someone sends me specific hate/love mail).

Does learning Dante's empty cancel generate alot of hate mail or is it 'allowed' to do it?

I've only received hate mail (about the empty cancel) back when I first started using the empty cancel, and that was because I kept doing "square square square EC square square square EC ect". People though I was doing an infinite. :b

Try to mix it up, maybe with the arbiter slam, the hunger loop, the arbiter throw loop, or even high time.

ibio9ukf7PsmUw.png

Rules:

Games will be played with two teams of two players. The game mode will be five-life Stock mode, and for the purpose of this tournament all items and stage hazards will be turned off. The bracket is double elimination, so even if you're knocked out of the first round, you'll have a chance to win the consolation championships. Games will be played in a Best of 3 format, and photo proof of a team's victory (scoreboard) must be sent to the judge before said victory becomes official. Doctoring or editing of photos is strictly illegal, and will be punishable by disqualification. The time and date of your match must be agreed upon with your teammate and your opponent beforehand so that the judge is aware of when the match will take place. The championship winners shall be awarded with a cool thing, and the runners-up shall be awarded a pat on the back and a slightly less-cool thing.

One last thing: Rage quitting shall result in immediate disqualification.

neoscraftycup.png

Teams:

Mink 'n' Stein (TheMink and JStein)

Camjo Ball Z (Camjo-Z and friend)

Da Vikings (Napalm_Frank and Drencrom)

Batmen (Troubled Bat and friend)

TMNPSASB (cool_trainer and teh_awesomeness)

BaHeathmut (Bahamut_24 and IntelliHeath)

Lurking Beasts (Beastm0de and friend)

Boogie Knights (Vysetron and friend)

BeastM0de

Neo Member
ibio9ukf7PsmUw.png

Rules:

Games will be played with two teams of two players. The game mode will be five-life Stock mode, and for the purpose of this tournament all items and stage hazards will be turned off. The bracket is double elimination, so even if you're knocked out of the first round, you'll have a chance to win the consolation championships. Games will be played in a Best of 3 format, and photo proof of a team's victory (scoreboard) must be sent to the judge before said victory becomes official. Doctoring or editing of photos is strictly illegal, and will be punishable by disqualification. The time and date of your match must be agreed upon with your teammate and your opponent beforehand so that the judge is aware of when the match will take place. The championship winners shall be awarded with a cool thing, and the runners-up shall be awarded a pat on the back and a slightly less-cool thing.

One last thing: Rage quitting shall result in immediate disqualification.

neoscraftycup.png

How long do we have to finish each round?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYL-KHz5-LI
This is pretty ridiculous. One jab and you are done.

...if she has the throw items. And if the person doesn't break out of the reset grapple. (Unless theres some kinda untechable grapple in this game?) Not to mention 2 vs 2 would rarely let this happen, and uneven levels / short platforms in most stages wouldn't give you guarenteed spacing for most of it anyway.

If Raiden had to go so deep into combos to get his hit confirm / have a secondary boost that enables the confirm in the first place (like only after stealing an energy spine with his throw), I think that'd make him feel much more balanced, too.

----

LoL at a Kratos player complaining that they need to tone Kat's Down+O gravity grapple down...

BTW, what are fellow Kat's using after an air gravity attract? My best reliable combo is (neutral Square, Square -brief pause- neutral triangle, direction held towards the opponent). I figure the only way to get better would be in-air dash cancels...

Top Bottom