• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

I think people are forgetting how rough the betas were...

Agreed. Even though there are some connection problems in the full game (a lot of it due to people quitting and the lack of host migration), there's no comparison to the betas for me, especially the last one. I've played a lot of 2v2 with CC and 75% of our matches ended up with one of us not seeing our opponents or them warping all over the place. We have spent more time quitting matches than playing, very frustrating.

going by the nature of previous third party characters, his inclusion and design would likely have to tie in with a new konami release in a similar fashion to MGR, DmC and tekken tag. so if there ever was a chance it would probably have something to do with ground zeroes.

Ak ok. I remember there was a tweet or something from the voice actor who played Cole in Infamous 2. He said he was doing voice work with David Hayter for PSABR. Here is it:

uBSEzpp.jpg

ZeroCDR

Wowww, I'm terrible at this but I really like the game so far! The netcode is exceptional, 4 player FFA is a riot. I've mainly been playing Cole and Parappa to start.

whitehawk

Banned
There's still a few serious balancing issues they need to sort out.

- If someone drops out of the game, it's not fair. If a player get's a level 3 first, they have 3 opponents to kill. If someone get's a level 3 later, they only have 2 opponents to kill. If someone drops out, they need to be replaced by AI.

- Emmet's melee attacks are awful. I guess this is how they designed it, but you pretty much have to rely on getting grenades and rocket launchers by spawning them.

- AP gain rate is all over the place. Kratos gains them like no other, Nariko takes forever to gain AP. Also, Nariko's main combo is easily interruptible, but many other's such as Dante or Raiden have combos that you can't break at all. They should all be interruptible, or none should.

KalBalboa

Banned
- Emmet's melee attacks are awful. I guess this is how they designed it, but you pretty much have to rely on getting grenades and rocket launchers by spawning them.

His Direction + Square should charge can be really handy, and I think he has adequate combos. Like you said, he's designed to be the most technical character.

- AP gain rate is all over the place. Kratos gains them like no other, Nariko takes forever to gain AP. Also, Nariko's main combo is easily interruptible, but many other's such as Dante or Raiden have combos that you can't break at all. They should all be interruptible, or none should.

I agree that Kratos should be nerfed a bit in terms of his AP gain, but Nariko's combo always gets the job done for me. I see Dante having issue with combos more than anyone.

whitehawk

Banned
His Direction + Square should charge can be really handy, and I think he has adequate combos. Like you said, he's designed to be the most technical character.
Hardly. The range on that attack is ridiculous. You have to be right next to the person or it does nothing.

What's up with goddamn randoms quitting in quick match 2v2? I'm getting so sick of this crap, must have had a dozen matches in the last 24 hours where my teammate left me early on to fend alone against two opponents, and on top of it it's almost always when i'm using characters i'm not that familiar with, so i don't stand a chance. Or even better, they stick around and just don't play, giving away kills. They're not disconnected either, cause they always respawn. What am i supposed to do when my teammate goes 0-4 due to being idle? Cherry on top is getting teabagged in that situation.

/rant

Good games, Jstein and Callibretto! Unfortunately my connection seems to be in the crapper today, you probably noticed. Not to say that i would've won otherwise, i'm a mid-tier player at best, but the mild warping did hamper the fun. Hopefully it'll be better next time.

TheMink

There's still a few serious balancing issues they need to sort out.

If your playing emmet without building a base youre doing it wrong.

Everyone's combos are interruptible, Nariko has an extremely easy combo that nets 150 ap no problem. Dante has the hardest time fully completing a combo because his are easily the longest out of everyone. Raiden is incredibly readable.

Spinluck

The stage design is sooooooo bad. I'm reminded every time I play the game.

It is ridiculous that you can be put in a huge disadvantage depending on what character you select and the stage that's selected.

Smash has stages that interrupt you during battle, and even stages that favor certain characters to an extent. But not as glaring and apparent as the ones here, you still had close to a 50/50 chance of winning.

Some stages render certain characters specials useless, others promote constant spamming, and running like a bitch. Which really hurts the flow of the game. I understand mind games, but this isn't it, it's freaking cat and mouse.

Free for all brings out a lot of the games flaws. I will beat the crap out of a player, and they'll run and pick on a less skilled player, while the other player stops me from beating the crap out the bully player. WTF?

I just got out of a match where a camping Emmett ran away the whole time, and was lag grabbing the fuck out of me. I was the only one going for him, while the other to players just let him get his level 3. Smh.

TheMink

Yeah... it's a melee attack. That's kind of the point of those.

And Emmets square square is amazing, its crazy fast capable of picking up multiples and ejects far, not to mention high ap gain. Gives you enough time to build a base, then when they come back just eject again :p

KalBalboa

Banned
And Emmets square square is amazing, its crazy fast capable of picking up multiples and ejects far, not to mention high ap gain. Gives you enough time to build a base, then when they come back just eject again :p

He's one of the best characters in the game right now, as it is, and people haven't even mastered him yet. He might get a tweak or two.

KalBalboa

Banned
Uhh, no. Lots of players have a decent amount of range on melee attacks. You literally have to be touching the other player to hit them. No range at all.

You're talking about the shoulder charge melee attack, right? The one that pushes him forward a few feet, similar to Sweet Tooth's forward square?

It's a melee attack. If you'd like range I'm sure you can find a move Emmett has with some. He literally has ranged weapons that fall from the sky.

Camjo-Z

Emmett's square square leaves his wiiiide open, but it's worth the risk.
I think he may wind up being better then Kratos or Drake.

I think Emmett's effectiveness is being a little exaggerated here. He's good, but against guys like Kratos or Drake? No way. Emmett's main weakness is that he can hardly do anything unless he's given a small amount of time to set things up, and that allows quick-moving characters with tons of range like Drake and Kratos to walk all over him.

KalBalboa

Banned
I think Emmett's effectiveness is being a little exaggerated here. He's good, but against guys like Kratos or Drake? No way. Emmett's main weakness is that he can hardly do anything unless he's given a small amount of time to set things up, and that allows quick-moving characters with tons of range like Drake and Kratos to walk all over him.

He's got a good ground-pound, shoulder slam, and ranged machine gun attack that can be used sans drops, though.

OmegaZero

Kratos, maybe; Drake, no lol.

It depends on effective use of his tools and the respective skill of the players, really. I can think of several ways that an Emmett could use to shut down Drake's standard approaches/tactics.

Which is true, but Emmett can turn the tide fairly easily once he does set up imo. Then again, this is all speculation on my part (I'm not trying to say that he is currently better then Kratos and Drake, obviously).

Camjo-Z

He's got a good ground-pound, shoulder slam, and ranged machine gun attack that can be used sans drops, though.

The ground pound is really slow and easy to punish, and his shoulder slam is too short ranged to be a regular thing. Without drops his main tool is the relatively weak machine gun. Like I said, he's really good, but not even he can stand a chance against the mighty Kratos.

KalBalboa

Banned
The ground pound is really slow and easy to punish, and his shoulder slam is too short ranged to be a regular thing. Without drops his main tool is the relatively weak machine gun. Like I said, he's really good, but not even he can stand a chance against the mighty Kratos.

True. The issue is, and remains, that Kratos needs to be toned down more.

OmegaZero

I've found that the revolver is a pretty handy tool compared to the machine gun. You just have to use it in the air.
Also, what are the chances of more Kratos nerfs now that Superbot isn't handling the DLC and patches anymore?

Ploid 3.0

I want to cry right now, I keep hitting the circle button by mistake. Some people was chilling at my feet and I went to stomp them but I hit circle.. So many missed wins because I went into airstrike mode.

sn00zer

has anyone data mined the patch for new characters/costumes what not....also Kat is just awful in free for all but a ton of fun in 2v2

Skyzard

Banned
For people with massive connection issues, a pretty easy fix would be to set DMZ on your PS3/Vita. It solves basically everything on your end.

It's best to google for instructions for your router make/model but basically:

* Router page - often 192.168.1.1 - Login/password: admin/root - admin/admin - admin/password usually works if they're not changed from default
* LAN Setup, DHCP should be on - reserve an ip address like 192.168.1.22 or something in your ip range.
*You need need the MAC address for your console- something like 01:23:45:67:89:ab, it's found in network settings - status or system info - about.
* Go to WAN settings - DMZ should be here somewhere, enable it and it will ask you for an ip address, put in the one you reserved for your console and apply the settings and you're done.

Btw on the fearless stage, there is a girl running around in the background I think trying to escape the guard. She almost looks like Lara Croft?

Camjo-Z

Btw on the fearless stage, there is a girl running around in the background I think trying to escape the guard. She almost looks like Lara Croft?

Pretty sure that's Kai from Heavenly Sword. She shows up as Nariko's minion and as her Level 1 Super too

Ah I see, was going to edit just now, haven't played Heavenly Sword (yet - this game makes me want to go back and try it though).

She's not quite the same yeah. I'm guessing she is a prominent character in HS?

It's not "Kai" there is no character named that. Camjo meant to say "Kaz" as in Kaz Hirai, he's actually in every level stalking, waiting to drop bombs.

Skyzard

Banned
It's not "Kai" there is no character named that. Camju meant to say "Kaz" as in Kaz Hirai, he's actually in every level stalking, waiting to drop bombs.

Hmm no joke? I haven't seen him... That is a fantastic idea though :p

I saw a guard in the fearless stage... Is that girl just a random then? She's very agile and a good climber for a random :S

edit Haha ok you got me :p

SmithnCo

Anyone want to play some games?

Any, I like Emmett though it seems he could have trouble with faster characters. I kinda wish the drops hurt enemies when they fall but that might be OP. And that people couldn't get AP from the turret.

Somtimes it's so hard to keep track of your characters in these matches now that Kat and Emmett is out. It literally is so much going on the screen from turrets dropping and debris and red aura's all over the screen I easily lose track of my player. Also I've been getting major slowdown on Fearless with the aforementioned characters in matches.(Vita)

Ploid 3.0

Any, I like Emmett though it seems he could have trouble with faster characters. I kinda wish the drops hurt enemies when they fall but that might be OP. And that people couldn't get AP from the turret.

I started to try to use turret drops to get people off me since it hit's on the way in. It's still hard to deal with people rushing at me. When I'm chased the whole match I can kiss level 3 chances goodbye.

TheMink

Well technically the only thing thats actually hitting the stage is the turret, the other drops are hitting behind the stage.

Top Bottom