• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

Just got hate mail for doing one hit confirm with Kat. Did d+triangle, square into lvl1

Just the left stick, I think. It pivots around Kat and kinda homes in once it launches.

It seems like you can control them for a bit once they're shot? Mine went round and round

SmithnCo

I've already stopped playing Ranked and now stick with Stock matches. Ranked just isn't as fun imo.

Yeah, I greatly prefer unranked in terms of random matches. Less ragequitting, plus I think there are a tad fewer overused top-tier characters, and people aren't afraid to pick some underused ones.

Zen

Banned
I have to say that the 2v2 in this game is ridiculously better than Smash. Also yes on unranked play. The game is still fun on timed, but stock is arguably better, and you're free to have fun since points aren't on the line.

Played the game for the first time in a bit tonight.

Kat seems kinda too good. Those supers are just ridiculous. Level 1 is like Sweet Tooth's but faster, more range, and doesn't kick the opponent away so better at getting multiple kills. Level 2 is crazy hard to dodge unless you're in the perfect position. And level 3 is probably tied with Kratos for the best transformation super.

Emmett's cool, but seems hard to play.

I'm sad to say I've pretty much given up on Big Daddy and Sir Dan and switched back to Sweet Tooth.

I've actually found her level 3 to be sort of hard to use. Both She and Emmet have a level that still feels skill based, which is great because of how many of the original rosters aren't. That's really my number 1 complaint about the gameplay of the game, so many characters have over powered and overly simplistic level 3s; fuck off sly cooper, good Coal, Raiden, Sackboy, etc.

SmithnCo

You can only steer it from 180 or less degress, if you move it way too much to up, it will go to down again, and don't forget to hold down R2 to have more time to throw them.

Wow, I didn't know that. Her 2 seems a lot better now. Actually Kat in general is really good, huge mobility and all her supers are useful.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Oh yeah, I can definitely see Toro being the worst. But even though Sackboy's been heavily nerfed, his level 3 is still absolutely devastating and pretty much a guaranteed win if someone can pull it off...

Sorry no way. Toro has a million large AP combos, and his level one is easily confirmed from a large AP combo. Also Sackboy IMO is 2nd tier, just below the top players. His level 1 is painfully easy to confirm, has some easy high AP combos, is very difficult to hit especially with his spawn point. His level 3 as you said is capable of 6 kills if done right. Toro is mid tier, Sackboy is a step above that.

Pff, Sir Dan's great if he's used properly (AKA not against a turtling SmithnCo).

I think that post-nerf Sackboy and unfortunately Toro inhabit the lower echelon of characters. Both can have a hard time building AP when the opponent is staying too close/far away from them, and their Supers are garbage for how much they cost.

Again no way, you haven't seen sackboy used right. As for Sir Dan he is pretty terrible. He takes up a ton of space with his sword, but other than that, his level 2 is a joke, and his level 1 "confirm" is easily dodged as long as you mash block and you'll air dodge. He's slow and his supers are terrible.

Very true. I'd say Sir Dan or Toro, but the longer I play the smaller the margin I see. Kratos still needs to be tuned down a bit.

Again with Toro, you guys will see just as you did with Jak. As for Kratos he's definitely due for a nerf, but Raiden and Drake are significantly worse given their better supers. As for Kat have fun guys, she will be getting nerfed to shit.

edit- woops is it too late to sign up for the tourney?

Step

So far with Kratos chain grab I hate that if you get caught you'll be send to oblivion and lose too much time trying to get back to the battle, on FFA where every second counts it is just bs.

ibio9ukf7PsmUw.png

Rules:

Games will be played with two teams of two players. The game mode will be five-life Stock mode, and for the purpose of this tournament all items and stage hazards will be turned off. The bracket is double elimination, so even if you're knocked out of the first round, you'll have a chance to win the consolation championships. Games will be played in a Best of 3 format, and photo proof of a team's victory (scoreboard) must be sent to the judge before said victory becomes official. Doctoring or editing of photos is strictly illegal, and will be punishable by disqualification. The time and date of your match must be agreed upon with your teammate and your opponent beforehand so that the judge is aware of when the match will take place. The championship winners shall be awarded with a cool thing, and the runners-up shall be awarded a pat on the back and a slightly less-cool thing.

One last thing: Rage quitting shall result in immediate disqualification.

neoscraftycup.png

Teams:

Mink 'n' Stein (TheMink and JStein)

Camjo Ball Z (Camjo-Z and friend)

Da Vikings (Napalm_Frank and Drencrom)

Batmen (Troubled Bat and friend)

TMNPSASB (cool_trainer and teh_awesomeness)

BaHeathmut (Bahamut_24 and IntelliHeath)

Lurking Beasts (Beastm0de and friend)

Boogie Knights (Vysetron and friend)

Quoted for new page.

Can I get a PM with the PSN names of everybody or something then? I don't have most of those guys on my friend list so I can't invite anyone to a match.

PM Troubled Bat and ask him. I don't think he ever gave it to me, and I'm not too keen on wading through all of his posts to make sure :/

Oh man, i had no idea you restarted the Scrafty cup. I would have seen if Balboa would have joined with me again XD. We kicked ass when we were planning for the last one.

TheMink

woah crazy glitch @__@

Haha, not your problem now! :p

Do you think Sony Santa Monica will fix that kind of stuff?

Also, i would like your opinion on teirs players have made up for the characters. Do you agree with them? (i.e Kratos and Raiden are better than everyone and Sir Dan and Toro suck) i dont necessarily agree with that, but what do you think?

Spinluck

I have a newfound appreciation for Spike after seeing JStein play him. Man knows how to throw those bananas and charge those swords like nobody's business.

If you're not spamming each characters best moves, you're doing it wrong.

It's the only way low tier guys like Spike can be competitive.
Along with stringing certain moves.

Seeing as how Superbot had a really loose or no focus when making this game, some characters lack the tools to be moderately successful in free for all.

And lol, tried the combo for Kats insta-hit confirm, it definitely works, but good luck landing it with no interruptions.

Zen

Banned
Man no one is playing the top 5 OP characters on ranked anymore, onyl encountered a single drake in 9 games. It was so much fun.

Whoa, I fought a GAFfer online in random matches. :O
Who were you playing as? I find it hard to remember my matches from usernames (which is a problem that tends to pop up whenever someone sends me specific hate/love mail).

I think I mostly played as Dante the few times I played you. Maybe Kat once, but mostly (or all) Dante. For one of the matches, you (as Good Cole, I believe) and this Sackboy player were just tearing it up on Fearless and I could barely land a hit. I felt like such a noob, haha.

I did have one crazy close match on Sandover Village with a Sackboy player that involved a last-minute level 3 and overtime... I don't think that one was with you, though.

Takao

Banned
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale IP list
This list chronicles all the IPs that appear in this game.* The list is handled in alphabetical order by platform of origin. In this list only the original debut of the IP on PlayStation platforms will be counted,** e.g. Raiden first appeared in Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2) but the Metal Gear Solid IP started on the original PlayStation.

Playable Characters:

1) Ape Escape [PS]
2) Everybody Together [PS]
3) MedEvil [PS]
4) Metal Gear Solid [PS]
5) Parappa The Rapper [PS]
6) Tekken [PS]
7) Twisted Metal [PS]
8) Devil May Cry [PS2]
9) God of War [PS2]
10) Jak & Daxter [PS2]
11) Killzone [PS2]
12) Ratchet & Clank [PS2]
13) Sly Cooper [PS2]
14) Bioshock [PS3]
15) Fat Princess [PS3]
16) Heavenly Sword [PS3]
17) Infamous [PS3]
18) LittleBigPlanet [PS3]
19) Starhawk [PS3]
20) Uncharted [PS3]
21) Gravity Rush [PSV]
Represented via stages, minions, or weapons:
22) Hot Shots Golf [PS]
23) Warhawk [PS]
24) WipEout [PS]
25) Buzz [PS2]
26) LocoRoco [PSP]
27) Patapon [PSP]
28) Modnation Racers [PS3/PSP]
29) Carnival Island [PS3]
30) Resistance [PS3]
31) Escape Plan [PSV]

PlayStation – 10, PlayStation 2 – 7, PlayStation Portable – 3, PlayStation 3 – 10, PlayStation Vita – 2

*As of February 13, 2013
** Modnation Racers is listed for two platforms as the IP launched simultaneously across PS3, and PSP. It is counted for both in the platform breakdown.

J-Tier

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale IP list
This list chronicles all the IPs that appear in this game.* The list is handled in alphabetical order by platform of origin. In this list only the original debut of the IP on PlayStation platforms will be counted,** e.g. Raiden first appeared in Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2) but the Metal Gear Solid IP started on the original PlayStation.

Playable Characters:

1) Ape Escape [PS]
2) Everybody Together [PS]
3) MedEvil [PS]
4) Metal Gear Solid [PS]
5) Parappa The Rapper [PS]
6) Tekken [PS]
7) Twisted Metal [PS]
8) Devil May Cry [PS2]
9) God of War [PS2]
10) Jak & Daxter [PS2]
11) Killzone [PS2]
12) Ratchet & Clank [PS2]
13) Sly Cooper [PS2]
14) Bioshock [PS3]
15) Fat Princess [PS3]
16) Heavenly Sword [PS3]
17) Infamous [PS3]
18) LittleBigPlanet [PS3]
19) Starhawk [PS3]
20) Uncharted [PS3]
21) Gravity Rush [PSV]
Represented via stages, minions, or weapons:
22) Hot Shots Golf [PS]
23) Warhawk [PS]
24) WipEout [PS]
25) Buzz [PS2]
26) LocoRoco [PSP]
27) Patapon [PSP]
28) Modnation Racers [PS3/PSP]
29) Carnival Island [PS3]
30) Resistance [PS3]
31) Escape Plan [PSV]

PlayStation – 10, PlayStation 2 – 7, PlayStation Portable – 3, PlayStation 3 – 10, PlayStation Vita – 2

*As of February 13, 2013
** Modnation Racers is listed for two platforms as the IP launched simultaneously across PS3, and PSP. It is counted for both in the platform breakdown.
Bored indeed.

Also, Mark of Kri =D

Ryce

From GameFAQs by way of Reddit:

uX2xGdW.png

It looks kinda real to me... sadly. Apparently this and a few minion dummy files (Bentley, Chloe, Chimera, Tag, and unnamed others) are in the new patch. More people should look into it.

SmithnCo

uX2xGdW.png

It looks kinda real to me... sadly. Apparently this and a few minion dummy files (Bentley, Chloe, Chimera, Tag, and unnamed others) are in the new patch. More people should look into it.

Please don't be real

Please.

Camjo-Z

Seems legit enough, and I'm sure someone will dig around in the files and confirm it.

That said, if he's a DLC character then we know two things:

A. Mink's source ain't all he's cracked up to be

B. Superbot has awful taste in characters

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'm loving Kat and Emmett. So far, my favorite characters to play as:

1) Ratchet
2) Nariko
3) Emmett
4) Evil Cole
5) Nathan Drake
6) Kratos

Kat's a lot of fun as well, but she hasn't quite climbed up my list yet. I love her to death, though. Such a great character in GR, and I'm so glad she's in this game.

Emmett is great. I enjoy him the most, because I love the strategies in play for him. He's kind of weak at melee distance, and his standard loadout is solid, but his drop pods, and his alternate loadouts and turret still give him a lot of options. Teamed up with characters like Drake, Kratos, Ratchet, the Coles, and Dante, he is brutally effective.

J-Tier

Seems legit enough, and I'm sure someone will dig around in the files and confirm it.

That said, if he's a DLC character then we know two things:

A. Mink's source ain't all he's cracked up to be

C. There are more than two characters as DLC.

SmithnCo

lol. If real, yeah. I can't imagine this guy has much of a following. I'd take Gabe Logan... Robbit... Hell, even something crazy like the Pom from Tokyo Jungle. Neither this nor Mink's info gets me too excited.

J-Tier

lol. If real, yeah. I can't imagine this guy has much of a following. I'd take Gabe Logan... Robbit... Hell, even something crazy like the Pom from Tokyo Jungle. Neither this nor Mink's info gets me too excited.

Yeah, dude from Sorcery would be lame. Good moveset potential, but other cooler characters have a good moveset potential too.

A dude from a move game...bad.

Ryce

If it's real, he's probably included specifically because he reps the PS Move, sort of like how Fat Princess reps PSN. He'd also be very easy to get since Santa Monica Studio helped develop Sorcery.

Clockw0rk

Yo GAF. I'm no longer working for SuperBot by end of today (2 hours). Just wanted to say thanks for all the support the past 9 months, especially the people who have continually vouched and stuck up for us since the beginning. Really hope everyone continues to enjoy the game for yonks to come.

Clockw0rk

J-Tier

Yo GAF. I'm no longer working for SuperBot by end of today (2 hours). Just wanted to say thanks for all the support the past 9 months, especially the people who have continually vouched and stuck up for us since the beginning. Really hope everyone continues to enjoy the game for yonks to come.

Clockw0rk

Good luck with your stuff Clockw0rk, hope to see more things from you in tournies, I love watching your Marvel matches.

Clockw0rk

1333162177227.jpg

Shine on, you crazy clock. I hope you find a home somewhere soon so you can continue to make great games with great people :(

Noi

Finn has awesome potential, screw ya'll. I'll take him over boring ass Zeus or another fuckwit with guns any day.

(I actually played Sorcery.)

Clockw0rk

It's been great Clock. Sad to see you go, but good luck in your future endeavors

Figboy79

Aftershock LA

Clockw0rk

I'm sorry to hear that, Clock, but I know you'll be just fine. It was great meeting you at the LA Beatdown! You were awesome!

All Stars is an incredible game, and I'm sorry to see Superbot have to part with Sony and PBR. I hope the series will continue, and I wouldn't mind if it was just a steady stream of DLC characters and stages, although I'd prefer a sequel in a few years.

Thanks for all the hard work pushing All Stars, and good luck!

EDIT: Also, Finn could be really awesome. Having a magic user as a fighter could be really, really cool. I know we all want the classics, but I don't mind having all of PlayStation represented in some way, even PlayStation move. And better Finn than a Sports Champions boxer or something. Lol.

Clockw0rk

Edit: Damn, :/

All the best to you man, you made the gameplay matches a lot of fun with your commentary. I can never get into serious fighting games, but I have hardcore fighting game fans who speak of you. I only found out who you are over all this, and I really enjoyed having you rep Superbot on here. Thanks for listening to us :p

Smooth sailings! Can't wait to see what you do next

uX2xGdW.png

God, I hope this isn't real. If it is... how disappointing. Of all the characters they could be adding... THIS guy? I never thought I'd say I'm excited about Zeus and Isaac, but... yeah.

That said, I'm of the mind now that some of these crap choices for characters aren't SuperBot's fault in the least. I'm pretty sure no one took them seriously during the development of this game and they simply took what they could get. I'm 99% sure SuperBot knew who we all (and any PlayStation fan in their right mind) REALLY wanted, like Cloud, Crash, Lara, Lightning, etc. I just don't think they even had the choice of getting them. In that sense, I feel really bad for them -- releasing this game without the big-ticket characters they knew we would want, and knowing they would get the backlash for it when it likely wasn't even their decision to begin with.

I mean, we know Activision flat out denied them Crash, and it just came out that Square denied them Lara. They probably denied them Cloud and Lightning too. If anything, I think we should be blaming the third parties responsible for these characters, not SuperBot.

Finn... ugh.

SSReborn

It was nice meeting you in Toronto, Clock. All the best to you in your future endeavors. Thanks for being as involved with the community as you were.

Edit: I can see why they would pick Finn based on his moveset and how in Sorcery you can mix different spells together but I'm not sure that adding him would be a good idea. People will definitely complain.

Top Bottom