• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

Ran rp

Edit: top of page, grab a partner and enter the PSASBR-GAF 2v2 Tourney!

iNKtaufbQXr6P.png

ibio9ukf7PsmUw.png

Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to the Scrafty Cup!*

Rules:
Games will be played with two teams of two players. The game mode will be first to five kill limit, and for the purpose of this tournament all items and stage hazards will be turned on. Once entry has closed on the 19th, matchups will be chosen at random. The bracket is single-elimination, so once you're out; you're out. Games will be played in a Best of 3 format, and photo proof of a team's victory (scoreboard) must be sent to the judge before said victory becomes official. Doctoring or editing of photos is strictly illegal, and will be punishable by disqualification. The time and date of your match must be agreed upon with your teammate and your oponnent beforehand so that the judge is aware of when the match will take place. Winner gets a cool thing!

2 vs 2 Teams
Time-is-Obsolete - Man-is-Obsolete (Man-is-Obsolete) and TimeEffect
ScraftyDesmond - Desmond and ScraftyDevil (emeraldphoenix7)
Mink 'n' Stein - TheMink and JStein
Då Vikings's - Drencrom (Drencrom) and Napalm_frank (NapalmFrank)
BaHeathMut - Bahamut_24(maxbahamut24) and IntelliHeath (IntelliHeath)
SmithnCow - SmithnCo (smithnco) and KevinCow
The Jentlefriends - Jtir123 and J's brother
Toronto Bros. - AnkiRendan (AnkiRendan) and SSReborn (Klipz-Wish)
Artful Dodgers - Tagg9 (Tagg7) and Tagg9's sister (SlyHobbes)
RazOr Chamber - Chamber (Novuscaine) and RazOmari (Knot-Locks)
Itchypads - Mik_Pad (mik_pad) and Kouichi
Figmuncher - Jawmuncher and FigBoy79 (Figboy)
Explosive Duo - Zephyrus (GoncaloPacheco) and B.O.O.M (rathne)
Gunny Balboa - Gunstarhero and KalBalboa
TribalSponge - Sponge and tribal24
We Don't Use Dumb Names - Noi (Noisama) and The Grim Heaper (TheGrimHeaper)
Psyborg- PSY・S (SuP3RiViAIN) and cyborg009
DigiTron - DigitalOp and Vysetron (Chuftbot)
Unclenching Kings - Snapshot King (SnapshotKing) and uncleniccius (uncleniccius)
Team Tricky-Sama - Tricky I Shadow and Oyashrio-Sama (FFVIIguy)
The Baked Knights - BakedPony (BakedPony1) and batmandarkknight (Macky_Tung)
Parappin' Believers - Tsunamo (JayTooCool) and FMTownsMarteh (NoR4U_)
InFamous Rising - Spindasher (Mrp7792-X) and Spindasher's Brother (JetsRap94).

Looking for Partner
Lord Phol (LordPhol)
Baekshi (Sharingan_Itachi)
giancarlo123x
Dreweyes
SteeloDMZ
Quick
krpiper
Thedarkstark
SuperSonic1305

Smithnco, yeah I agreed with you. Should push it to 21/22. Some people might just buy it out of impulse.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
It's a competitive phrase. There's no bullshit when playing on stages like the final destinations, and without items.

Lol. I know what it means, I just don't "get" it. For me, things like items, or varied stages, were put into the game for a reason. They're additional toys to play with to add to the party fun. I understand the idea of people not wanting to play with those things, which is why it's good that there's an option to turn them on and off, I just personally enjoy playing the game as is, with whatever stages are fun to play on.

In this game, the items, to me, add a lot more to the strategy of the game than the items in Smash Bros. I hardly ever use items in Smash, but I find myself using the items in All Stars much more often.

Ploid 3.0

Wait there's a 2v2 tourney? I kinda want to enter but don't know when it will go down. Also I may suck and ruin it for the other person. I just look forward to the gafchat battles. I hope they implemented psn chat in sending invites and such. I liked that feature with Super Street Fighter 4.

Lol. I know what it means, I just don't "get" it. For me, things like items, or varied stages, were put into the game for a reason. They're additional toys to play with to add to the party fun. I understand the idea of people not wanting to play with those things, which is why it's good that there's an option to turn them on and off, I just personally enjoy playing the game as is, with whatever stages are fun to play on.

In this game, the items, to me, add a lot more to the strategy of the game than the items in Smash Bros. I hardly ever use items in Smash, but I find myself using the items in All Stars much more often.

I see both sides of this. One side is the raw 1 vs 1 or 2 vs 2. No outside interference or anything. The other side is the strategy and flexibility to deal with things like Unreal tournament. You time pickups to give you a edge and make sure things go in your favor. It take skills to keep up with the timings of the spawned items, where they are, and how to use them effectively. Having the option to disable hazards and pickups just gives everyone extra ways to play.

Have there been any commercials or major ads for this, or is this the usual Sony marketing fumble where they don't market shit and wonder why a great game sells like shit?

I hope this turns out successful solely because competition with Smash Bros. would be a great thing for both sides.

Mr. Fix

I guess it's a casual vs. hardcore thing. My friends and I play with items on all the time if we're playing in a group. When we do tournies, we turn them off. What I'm saying is simply for the option to just have the final boss stage in PSAS, because it's so simple, medium in size, and allows for wall-bounces which are the norm for this game. It's perfect for BS-less 1 on 1s.

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/items/item15.html Smash actually has a ton of dangerous items though. You don't feel that impact from items like the Spear of Destiny. PSAS does have that barrier, as well as the laser that causes a crumple stun, and even the one that drains AP. Those seem like the biggest ones I've seen so far. You can't really downplay the use of items in smash when they actually do cause death if used appropriately.

Ran rp

Wait there's a 2v2 tourney? I kinda want to enter but don't know when it will go down. Also I may suck and ruin it for the other person. I just look forward to the gafchat battles. I hope they implemented psn chat in sending invites and such. I liked that feature with Super Street Fighter 4.

I see both sides of this. One side is the raw 1 vs 1 or 2 vs 2. No outside interference or anything. The other side is the strategy and flexibility to deal with things like Unreal tournament. You time pickups to give you a edge and make sure things go in your favor. It take skills to keep up with the timings of the spawned items, where they are, and how to use them effectively. Having the option to disable hazards and pickups just gives everyone extra ways to play.

Yep, IntelliHeath and ScraftyDevil have all the info.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=44447752&postcount=988

I'm going to take a guess. Playstation allstars is going to get 7-8s all around and a few 6s.

From what I'm seeing from just features alone this is a 6 (using IGN/Gamespot/loljournalist scoring). With my own personal scoring I would give PSAS a 3-4 in terms of features from what I have seen. The same scoring I would of given Vanilla mvc3 and the SF4 series.

The major point would be the gameplay, which is all subjective. Some people thought Marvel was "simple", while others have proven that the game can be as difficult as you want it to be. Same could be said for every other fighter (tekken, kof etc etc).

I won't judge gameplay because I obviously haven't played with the final build, but that gameplay better be GODLIKE in order to justify this purchase. I better be able to spend 40+ hours easily in training mode and fine that "cheap stuff". Seth/Clock/Ed Ma please don't let me down!

Having a chipmunk scream it at the top of their lungs. Man the levels have such good music. Who seriously thought this was a good idea? I hope this really does have a custom soundtrack feature...

That final boss music really should be the main theme. Orchestrally magnificent, as opposed to juvenile and annoying.

KevinCow

Banned
Fighting game reviews are pretty much useless. You can't tell me from playing it for a few days, mostly by yourself, if it can hold up in a competitive setting over the long term. You can't tell me anything about character balance or stuff like that.

All a review can tell me is how polished the game is and how much single player content it has. The true value of the meat of the game - the competitive multiplayer - will be determined by the community. If people are still playing the game in a year, then it was a success. If people are still playing it in 2 or 3 years, then it was a huge success.

And that goes for all fighting games, not just this one. But for PS All-Stars in particular, I'm not really expecting particularly positive reviews from most sources. I expect a lot to smash it for being a Smash clone, some to say the Super KO system is inherently broken and ruins the game, and others to say that Sony's roster of characters just isn't interesting enough to justify the game's existence. You know, pretty much all the same stuff people have been arguing about since it was announced.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Fighting game reviews are pretty much useless. You can't tell me from playing it for a few days, mostly by yourself, if it can hold up in a competitive setting over the long term. You can't tell me anything about character balance or stuff like that.

All a review can tell me is how polished the game is and how much single player content it has. The true value of the meat of the game - the competitive multiplayer - will be determined by the community. If people are still playing the game in a year, then it was a success. If people are still playing it in 2 or 3 years, then it was a huge success.

And that goes for all fighting games, not just this one. But for PS All-Stars in particular, I'm not really expecting particularly positive reviews from most sources. I expect a lot to smash it for being a Smash clone, some to say the Super KO system is inherently broken and ruins the game, and others to say that Sony's roster of characters just isn't interesting enough to justify the game's existence. You know, pretty much all the same stuff people have been arguing about since it was announced.

I agreed, and I'm still waiting for 2 vs 2 tournament. I think it would be great start for PSA-GAF, and will open up more tournaments in future when people evenly getting better.

I won't judge gameplay because I obviously haven't played with the final build, but that gameplay better be GODLIKE in order to justify this purchase. I better be able to spend 40+ hours easily in training mode and fine that "cheap stuff". Seth/Clock/Ed Ma please don't let me down!

how dare thee not mention Lord Omar.

2 more days left until official release fellas woooo

I'm really pumped!!! I just got my Wii U, but I'm still super excited to be playing this on Tuesday.

I decided I'm gonna let the Vita version download first (since it is less than 2 GB), and then start playing that while the PS3 version downloads. Cross-buy, cross-play, and cross-save FTW! Even though I won't be joining the tournament due to my lack of time, I still hope to see you guys online when I can.

Tagg9

Not sure I agree personally.

Reviewers have reportedly had the game for two weeks now, and I think that's ample time to play the game in single and multiplayer settings. Obviously it is difficult to know whether it will have lasting appeal and how the community will grow, but for me it's easy to determine whether or not the core gameplay is fun and challenging.

SSReborn

Asked my friend who has the game about the AI and he said:

"5 levels of AI, 3 levels for trials, extra 2 for practice and I THINK arcade I haven't tried it out yet.. Level five is just NASTY. Like... BAD. I can't stand up to any character with Raiden, kratos yes cause I know him inside out but Raiden, Dante... nothing I can only defend. So i use it to try and learn how to use the Counter properly since my rushdown offensive just ain't working period, they dodge wayyyyy too well, counter everything, and they gain AP LIKE MADDDD"

Just to say he was pretty good at the beta and knows how to play the game fairly well.

Not sure I agree personally.

Reviewers have reportedly had the game for two weeks now, and I think that's ample time to play the game in single and multiplayer settings. Obviously it is difficult to know whether it will have lasting appeal and how the community will grow, but for me it's easy to determine whether or not the core gameplay is fun and challenging.

Marvel vs Capcom 2 and 3. I remember a big gaming website said Arthur was stupid broken and Sentinel was beyond broken.

I remember when people said Iceman was so broken in mvc2. And how Magneto was garbage compared to Cammy.

2 weeks is nothing in a fighting game especially 2 weeks given to a bunch of bad fighting game players.;

SSReborn

Marvel vs Capcom 2 and 3. I remember a big gaming website said Arthur was stupid broken and Sentinel was beyond broken.

I remember when people said Iceman was so broken in mvc2. And how Magneto was garbage compared to Cammy.

2 weeks is nothing in a fighting game especially 2 weeks given to a bunch of bad fighting game players.;

This is true. I also doubt that they have even played the game much I've been checking the PSN Profiles site and until about tuesdayish no one really had the game except for Colin, Greg, Giantbomb(who only earned two trophies) and like two other people.

From what I've read of the leaked pictures from the guidebook some of these characters are surprisingly deep in terms of what they can do and the strategies that you can adopt and that didn't even cover the advanced strategies section. I actually highly doubt the reviewers will scratch away at all that high level stuff. Anyways, I'll have the full copy of the game at my house tomorrow for about 30 mins before I go to the tournament so if you guys want me to check anything out real quick let me know.

Kurod

Banned
Saw some PSASBR games in the display case at a local walmart last night. Had I not already paid in full on PSN I probably would have nabbed one then and there.

That dreaded day is approaching, when all the yanks get their copy of the game, posting hype-fuelled impressions and exchanging game-related anecdotes like some sort of elite club, all the while the UK/Euro peasants have to wait three more days. Life sucks.

Noi

That dreaded day is approaching, when all the yanks get their copy of the game, posting hype-fuelled impressions and exchanging game-related anecdotes like some sort of elite club, all the while the UK/Euro peasants have to wait three more days. Life sucks.

Not everyone who falls in the NA release umbrella is a dirty yank. :(

SxP

Well, within Europe there some difference in release dates as well. I'm pretty sure it's the 21st for most of Europe and the 23rd for the UK/Ireland.

KAL2006

Banned
I haven't read up in this but is it possible for me to buy the game. Download the Vita copy then resell the PS3 version. I only plan to play on Vita anyway.

Jawmuncher

I haven't read up in this but is it possible for me to buy the game. Download the Vita copy then resell the PS3 version. I only plan to play on Vita anyway.

You could actually.
While the Vita copy needs the PS3 copy to be added to your download list.
After that it's yours I believe (Since its activated with the use of a code)

However it might be easier to just buy the vita copy.

You could actually.
While the Vita copy needs the PS3 copy to be added to your download list.
After that it's yours I believe (Since its activated with the use of a code)

However it might be easier to just buy the vita copy.

You'd also need to use the online pass on your account if you want to play online. Dunno how much that affects resell value.

Top Bottom