• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

Tagg9

By the way, can someone fix my PSN username for the tournment? I was thinking it was "Tagg7" but it's actually "TaggSte". Not sure what I was thinking. =/

Can I put myself down as looking for a partner in the tournament? I'm in the UK so I should get the game Thursday or Friday. My PSN ID is the same as my GAF name.

softie

Pre-ordered mine on PSN and would gladly participate in the tourney. If someone wants to team up with a Tschörman noob, I'm ready to go. :-D
I still have to decide on my main character, but I think it will be either Raiden or J&D.

DigitalOp

Banned
Pre-ordered on PSN , Can't wait....

During my mall trip, I got my hands on the Vita version of the game. Despite the screen being huge, why is everything so scaled down? Some times the games screen zoomout makes the characters tiny...

Game still plays great though

I got to play as Jak and Big Daddy. Jak has alot of great and interesting moves that will lead to some pretty amazing strategys, He's also very mobile

Big Daddy is a beast.... flat out, hands down. He's awesome, you sacrifice mobility for straight up power. Lvl 2 + Side Triangle Dash = 3 kills, every time

Lord Phol

Pre-ordered mine on PSN and would gladly participate in the tourney. If someone wants to team up with a Tschörman noob, I'm ready to go. :-D
I still have to decide on my main character, but I think it will be either Raiden or J&D.

Wanna team-up? :p, got mine pre-ordered on PSN as well, will be going dante or nariko!
No idea what a Tschörman is xD, but got the letter "ö" on my keyboard as well so thats all good!

SmithnCo

Big Daddy is a beast.... flat out, hands down. He's awesome, you sacrifice mobility for straight up power. Lvl 2 + Side Triangle Dash = 3 kills, every time

Nice, he's definitely one I'm interested in. Raiden and Dante are looking great as well.

I also want to mess around with Toro but I have a feeling he'll require more practice, so he may not be as popular for the first tourney.

tribal24

Banned
So far imo 3 characters stand out this is in small spaces Raiden, Spike and HeiHachi. Especially Raiden since he got a direct combo into level 1 in the corner. So for all the guys Thinking dojo is gonna be the "Final Destination" of this game i think not.

So far imo 3 characters stand out this is in small spaces Raiden, Spike and HeiHachi. Especially Raiden since he got a direct combo into level 1. So for all the guys Thinking dojo is gonna be the "Final Destination" of this game i think not.

Hades I think is the best ''neutral'' stage. With and without hazards.

So far imo 3 characters stand out this is in small spaces Raiden, Spike and HeiHachi. Especially Raiden since he got a direct combo into level 1 in the corner. So for all the guys Thinking dojo is gonna be the "Final Destination" of this game i think not.

Is the game fun?? As in fighting just CPU?

DigitalOp

Banned
Ya know?? I heard pretty much NOBODY talking bout Heihachi so I will go out my way to learn him too

He might be a secret beast that Superbot buffed up hmmm

PSN : DigitalOp but I bet yall knew that already lol, I added you back Napalm! happy gaming!

Ryce

I know this isn't a big deal, but I can't believe SuperBot left the character select screen in a completely nonsensical order in the final version of the game. Fighting games tend to do a clever job of grouping related characters together (SSBB, SFIV, MvC3), but All-Stars' select screen is a mess; there's no rhyme or reason to it.

I'm not seriously expecting SuperBot to patch it, but I do think it should be looked into. It can't take more than a couple of minutes to regroup the characters.

Something like this would make a lot more sense:

mGXaA.png

- PSX characters are together
- PS2 characters are together
- PS3 characters are together
- Japanese characters are together
- Naughty Dog characters are together
- Ninja Theory characters are together

J-Tier

What is the final roster arrangement? I doubt that there's no logic in the arrangement. I mean, I'm sure there is a logic to it--in better words.

Ryce

What is the final roster arrangement? I doubt that there's no logic in the arrangement. I mean, I'm sure there is a logic to it--in better words.
w97bH.png

They're just thrown on the screen in the order they were added to the game (according to the game's internal data). The only exceptions are that Evil Cole was put next to Cole and Spike and Toro were put at the end, but everybody else is in the exact same order that they were created.

Really, there's no logic to it.

I know this isn't a big deal, but I can't believe SuperBot left the character select screen in a completely nonsensical order in the final version of the game. Fighting games tend to do a clever job of grouping related characters together (SSBB, SFIV, MvC3), but All-Stars' select screen is a mess; there's no rhyme or reason to it.

I'm not seriously expecting SuperBot to patch it, but I do think it should be looked into. It can't take more than a couple of minutes to regroup the characters.

Something like this would make a lot more sense:

mGXaA.png

- PSX characters are together
- PS2 characters are together
- PS3 characters are together
- Japanese characters are together
- Naughty Dog characters are together
- Ninja Theory characters are together

It doesn't really matter imo. I noticed it in Smash but it wasn't a big deal.

The first 7 are the ones from the beta.
So it goes:
Random, Kratos, Parappa, FP, ST, Radec, Sly, Drake, Good Cole, Bad Cole, R+C. Row one.
Row 2: J&D, Big Daddy, Dante. Heihachi, Nariko, Raiden, Sackboy, Sir Dan, Spike, Toro and then random.
From the IGN Stream.

So I watched Kratos' story on youtube.
All it was was a slideshow with a voice over, a couple NORMAL fights against CPU characters (it was the exact same as it would be to just select a stage and CPU characters, nothing campaigny about it) a little fight against Polygon Man and another voice over. It lasted half an hour.

Is that really all there is to the campaign(s)? What's the point of it? Story was not good, fights were no different than regular fights. I wasn't expecting anything along the calibre of Smash Bros Subspace Emissary, but how about some cinematics and some progressive or unique gameplay that is different than multiplayer.

J-Tier

So I watched Kratos' story on youtube.
All it was was a slideshow with a voice over, a couple NORMAL fights against CPU characters (it was the exact same as it would be to just select a stage and CPU characters, nothing campaigny about it) a little fight against Polygon Man and another voice over. It lasted half an hour.

Is that really all there is to the campaign(s)? What's the point of it? Story was not good, fights were no different than regular fights. I wasn't expecting anything along the calibre of Smash Bros Subspace Emissary, but how about some cinematics and some progressive or unique gameplay that is different than multiplayer.

Wasn't the "story" mode announced to be a standard arcade mode awhile back? I'm sure that's all we're getting.

softie

Wanna team-up? :p, got mine pre-ordered on PSN as well, will be going dante or nariko!
No idea what a Tschörman is xD, but got the letter "ö" on my keyboard as well so thats all good!

Awesome! I love Nordic people. :-D
And Tschörman = German; like when a German wants to pronounce "German". :p

Just add me on PSN: Ein_Schnaehkeee

DigitalOp

Banned
Wasn't the "story" mode announced to be a standard arcade mode awhile back? I'm sure that's all we're getting.

Support now and you will receive during the sequel

That's my attitude about it anyway..

Im glad to hear that CPU's on 5 are hard as hell but I really didn't expect to be playing this by myself anyway besides unlockables, It was always gonna be played online or with friends

Support now and you will receive during the sequel

That's my attitude about it anyway..

Im glad to hear that CPU's on 5 are hard as hell but I really didn't expect to be playing this by myself anyway besides unlockables, It was always gonna be played online or with friends

That's a good way to go about it. Multiplayer will keep me entertained long enough to warrant a purchase, I'm sure. I was just hoping for some varied content.

Ryce

I'm fine with the lack of an "adventure" mode. We'd have gotten even fewer characters had the team dedicated their resources to something as intensive as that.

Yea as long as I can do my 1v1, 2v2 and FFA online and unlock trivial stuff for months on end I'm good.

I only played arcade mode or w/e on Smash 64 a few times to unlock stuff but the majority of the time was spent in VS mode.

Archon473

"5 levels of AI, 3 levels for trials, extra 2 for practice and I THINK arcade I haven't tried it out yet..

When that Colin person played Arcade mode on the IGN livestream with Omar, only 3 difficulties were available and he played on Normal (I think Hard mode is titled "Legend")

EDIT: I saw on the previous page you played a copy of the game and confirmed 3 difficulties for Arcade and 5 for Versus/Training :)

Level five is just NASTY. Like... BAD. I can't stand up to any character with Raiden, kratos yes cause I know him inside out but Raiden, Dante... nothing I can only defend. So i use it to try and learn how to use the Counter properly since my rushdown offensive just ain't working period, they dodge wayyyyy too well, counter everything, and they gain AP LIKE MADDDD"

Fighting game AI is almost bi-polar in the way it can have perfect defense and offense in one situation yet terrible defense in another. It all has to do with input recognition. If the AI reads your input and recognizes, "He did a 5-frame move; my 4-frame move will interrupt," you will be stuffed out of a jab in a way no human could ever interrupt your move. This is because the AI is performing an interrupt in a way that is not visual reaction. This is the same way AI Ken/Ryu will Shoryuken a standing jab on Hardest difficulty, or Wesker will perform his Counter Hyper by recognizing that you inputted an attack. When the AI is simply recognizing your inputs and entering a perfect counter through calculation, that's difficult AI but not quality AI. Quality fighting game AI is possible but would take so much time away from human versus human play-testing that no developer deems it worthy. I cannot necessarily blame them (as much as I long for human-like AI).

Noi

Single player just slightly better than Marvel 3? Can't say I'm too surprised. If they had something worth showing, we would have known about it ages ago.

SSReborn

I actually have the game now my friend came in second in the All Stars tournament and he gave me the copy he won because he has one already do you guys have anything you want me to look through?

Also guys, guess which character won the entire tournament.

Mr. Fix

Odd, I can't preorder it on psn. Anyone get an error?

I actually have the game now my friend came in second in the All Stars tournament and he gave me the copy he won because he has one already do you guys have anything you want me to look through?

Deimos?

Zephyrus

Banned

Toro

softie

I would like to know which modes are playable online.^^

Kratos won, of course. ;-)

Odd, I can't preorder it on psn. Anyone get an error?
EU-PSN, right? Just log out and go back into the store, you should have it pre-ordered now, seems like a bug. :)

Don't have the preorder costumes.

Can you go into the gameplay options and see what is tweakable? Can you turn off stages midway, for example, can you turn of certain super levels, etc.

Can second player sign in to his/her own account?

WHERE IS THE STAT TRACKING?? Please dont tell me they removed stat tracking, I'm going to be so upset if they did. (Edit: I am beginning to believe this is in the online part, as stat-tracking for offline wouldn't probably make sense against bots)

Can you detail some of the higher level challenges/the ones you find most unique?

The most unique won I read was doing air combos, what are the ones locked after that? Are they really character unique? What are the character unique challenges? Do they make use of character specific moves?

SmithnCo

Can you get online yet?

Ran rp

ibio9ukf7PsmUw.png

Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to the Scrafty Cup!*

Rules:
Games will be played with two teams of two players. The game mode will be first to five kill limit, and for the purpose of this tournament all items and stage hazards will be turned on. Once entry has closed on the 19th, matchups will be chosen at random. The bracket is single-elimination, so once you're out; you're out. Games will be played in a Best of 3 format, and photo proof of a team's victory (scoreboard) must be sent to the judge before said victory becomes official. Doctoring or editing of photos is strictly illegal, and will be punishable by disqualification. The time and date of your match must be agreed upon with your teammate and your oponnent beforehand so that the judge is aware of when the match will take place. Winner gets a cool thing!

2 vs 2 Teams
Time-is-Obsolete - Man-is-Obsolete (Man-is-Obsolete) and TimeEffect
ScraftyDesmond - Desmond and ScraftyDevil (emeraldphoenix7)
Mink 'n' Stein - TheMink and JStein
Då Vikings's - Drencrom (Drencrom) and Napalm_frank (NapalmFrank)
BaHeathMut - Bahamut_24(maxbahamut24) and IntelliHeath (IntelliHeath)
SmithnCow - SmithnCo (smithnco) and KevinCow
The Jentlefriends - Jtir123 and J's brother
Toronto Bros. - AnkiRendan (AnkiRendan) and SSReborn (Klipz-Wish)
Artful Dodgers - Tagg9 (TaggSte) and Tagg9's sister (SlyHobbes)
RazOr Chamber - Chamber (Novuscaine) and RazOmari (Knot-Locks)
Itchypads - Mik_Pad (mik_pad) and Kouichi
Figmuncher - Jawmuncher and FigBoy79 (Figboy)
Explosive Duo - Zephyrus (GoncaloPacheco) and B.O.O.M (rathne)
Gunny Balboa - Gunstarhero and KalBalboa
TribalSponge - Sponge (SpongeTheSquid) and tribal24
We Don't Use Dumb Names - Noi (Noisama) and The Grim Heaper (TheGrimHeaper)
Psyborg- PSY・S (SuP3RiViAIN) and cyborg009
DigiTron - DigitalOp and Vysetron (Chuftbot)
Unclenching Kings - Snapshot King (SnapshotKing) and uncleniccius (uncleniccius)
Team Tricky-Sama - Tricky I Shadow and Oyashrio-Sama (FFVIIguy)
The Baked Knights - BakedPony (BakedPony1) and batmandarkknight (Macky_Tung)
Parappin' Believers - Tsunamo (JayTooCool) and FMTownsMarteh (NoR4U_)
InFamous Rising - Spindasher (Mrp7792-X) and Spindasher's Brother (JetsRap94).
Pending - TheDarkStark and krpiper
Pending - Dreweyes and TONX

Looking for Partner
Lord Phol (LordPhol)
Baekshi (Sharingan_Itachi)
giancarlo123x
SteeloDMZ
Quick
ScraftyDevil
SuperSonic1305

Updated the list.

DigitalOp

Banned
Fighting game AI is almost bi-polar in the way it can have perfect defense and offense in one situation yet terrible defense in another. It all has to do with input recognition. If the AI reads your input and recognizes, "He did a 5-frame move; my 4-frame move will interrupt," you will be stuffed out of a jab in a way no human could ever interrupt your move. This is because the AI is performing an interrupt in a way that is not visual reaction. This is the same way AI Ken/Ryu will Shoryuken a standing jab on Hardest difficulty, or Wesker will perform his Counter Hyper by recognizing that you inputted an attack. When the AI is simply recognizing your inputs and entering a perfect counter through calculation, that's difficult AI but not quality AI. Quality fighting game AI is possible but would take so much time away from human versus human play-testing that no developer deems it worthy. I cannot necessarily blame them (as much as I long for human-like AI).

I think practicing and fighting AI like this will only make me a damn good player so I welcome it... Its almost like if you are able to beat the impossible then what else are you capable of? AI like this that's always one step ahead of the game keeps you on your toes and makes you change behavior and strategies

BUT ... there is also cheap AI. I hate that

SSReborn

Oh lol it was Kratos. It was kind of funny because my friend made it his mission to not use Kratos who he was comfortable with and go all the way through with Raiden which is respectable. He ended up coming in second like that just barely losing to Kratos. It was actually supposed to be Kratos, Sly, and Raiden in the finals but the Sly player ended up picking Kratos :/

Oh lol it was Kratos. It was kind of funny because my friend made it his mission to not use Kratos who he was comfortable with and go all the way through with Raiden which is respectable. He ended up coming in second like that just barely losing to Kratos. It was actually supposed to be Kratos, Sly, and Raiden in the finals but the Sly player ended up picking Kratos :/

Give it time. They are probably going to adjust kratos in some form and right now on a tourney level he is a crutch for players because they know they can get cheap AP gain. So over time people will get more comfortable with other characters and possibly kratos will get adjusted as well.

Lord Phol

Awesome! I love Nordic people. :-D
And Tschörman = German; like when a German wants to pronounce "German". :p

Just add me on PSN: Ein_Schnaehkeee

Oh cool, you learn something new every day!
Now we just need a team name, Nordic Tschörman (dunno what the plural is)? xD
Will add you next time I log in :p.

Mr. Fix

EU-PSN, right? Just log out and go back into the store, you should have it pre-ordered now, seems like a bug. :)

Damn, it didn't work. I've tried 2 different credit cards now. And I'm in Canada actually, but I remember calling them about a deactivation a year back, and they said my account was a EU one, so it never happened- I still assume I have a North American PS3. Odd, since my updates and store are the same as the NA one, unless they're always the same.

Top Bottom