• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

OmegaZero

<(^o^<)(>^o^)><(^o^<)(>^o^)><(^o^<)(>^o^)><(^o^<)(>^o^)><(^o^<)(>^o^)><(^o^<)(>^o^)><(^o^<)(>^o^)><(^o^<)(>^o^)><(^o^<)(>^o^)><(^o^<)(>^o^)>

Let's settle this with a 1v1.
Three lives, Final Desti-

Oh wait. :b

Anyway, what was your strategy? I just used aerial AP bursts to get to level 3 a few times and then finished up with Level 1s.

TheMink

Daaamn. Very impressive everyone. Now I have to get 30 kills? God damn.

After this i tried for like half and hour to get 30, i got that same score i posted like three of four times. XD
Every time i wiffed ONE SUPER. That was all i needed ;_;

As it got later my scores got progressively worse :p

Let's settle this with a 1v1.
Three lives, Final Desti-

Oh wait. :b

Anyway, what was your strategy? I just used aerial AP bursts to get to level 3 a few times and then finished up with Level 1s.

Hehe XD

I thought about going for lvl 3s but my goal was 30 kills so that would mean 6 lvl 3s at fives kill per, or 2 lvl 3s a minute.
Costing a total of 3600 AP.
Not impossible perhaps but not particularly trustworthy.

So i did something like 12 lvl 1s with 3 kill (obviously not a perfect 3 kill average) average every time. One combo bringing me to a lvl 1. Costing a grand total of 1,500 AP. The cpus without fail bunch up in such a way for me to go square square square EC super 1. Which would actually give me an extra In FFA it doesn't allow for the third person in the row to be picked up by the EC normally. But the cpus are so stupid on that difficulty that choosing to pick up 2 of them on purpose and leaving the third to his own devices; the third would more often than not just come get himself killed by the super (that third person was never evil cole lol if i left him alone he would just throw a stupid grenade and botch my combo XD)

So basically based in your score its highly likely that you actually built more AP than me total, but your technique also cost significantly more than mine.

I also picked the rival stage, which helped immensely i think.

Because i aint no bunk b i pick evil cole in the group to fight and that was stupid. The only thing that moron knew how to do was go completely out of his way to jump and throw a grenade perfectly at my air combo.

I was thinking about putting them all on a team against me but that would have given me an unfair advantage because when people are on a team they all can mesh into each other which means that id be able to burst and EC super 1 all three of them at once.

far more of an explanation than you were looking for no doubt.....
MATH O_O

Ok so in my limited FP experience heres what i came up with so far that doesnt require an air knight or a side square to up square.

Short Jump down square-right circle-short jump down square-neutral square square-up square-jump right triangle.

I...ill keep looking.

Edit: its easier than right square up square tho so you have that at least.

Thanks! The added short hop down square feels slightly awkward for me, since i'm not used to doing short hops in the middle of combos with any character, but i can definitely work with this. I just tried it out a few times in practice mode and it's very doable for me. With a little bit of practice it should become second nature. In any case it's vastly preferable to the incredibly inconsistent side square, up square.

I think i just found out what the problem with the latter is. Too strong knockback for side square in combination with the hitbox being too small (relatively to the knockback) for most characters. I just tried it with about 10 different characters and the only one where i had a 10/10 success rate is Big Daddy. Everyone else is more like 2-3/10 for me (unless i'm close to a wall, then it's 10/10 against anyone), if that. That's way too low to rely on it in the heat of battle. How about fixing this in a future patch, SSM? Obviously i'm not asking for an increased hitbox for 23 characters, but a decreased knockback for FP's side square would do, i think. Also, bring back the fast air knight and just add a short cooldown before you can use it again, that should curb spamming, while keeping the move useful against human opponents.

Anyway, thanks again, this will alleviate my FP combo worries a good deal. It's still a huge bummer though that so many interesting combos for her got gimped with this patch, just when i was set on getting better with her. I'm looking forward to any other combo suggestions when you have the time. :)

Edit:

Oh wow, i've just made a 155 combo with FP by accident. That's a new record for me. I started out with the air knight though, so i don't know how much use it will get online. Instead of the ground knight i accidentally summoned a fire mage, the rest of the combo was the same. Now to see if i can replicate it or if it was a fluke. Timing the fire right might be a bit difficult since the knockback from it could interfere with the rest of the combo.

Edit2:

Bah, total fluke, can't come close to replicating it again. Maybe someone else will have more luck. :l

Edit3:

No, wait. I can actually pull it off 50% of the time now, but the spacing when summoning the fire mage has to be exactly right. This only works with the air knight combo starter though, as you need to follow it up with a (charge) square to have enough time to summon the fire mage. Oh man, that makes me even more salty about the air knight nerf.

TheMink

Awesome bro!

Yeah my biggest issue with FP combos is that her only comboable 30 AP move is side triangle mid air.
Every single combo above 130 has got to have the jump side triangle. Hard to work with >.<

Awesome bro!

Yeah my biggest issue with FP combos is that her only comboable 30 AP move is side triangle mid air.
Every single combo above 130 has got to have the jump side triangle. Hard to work with >.<

I've been youtubing for some combos and found one that gave you 141 without the air side triangle finisher, but of course it doesn't work anymore since you had to do air knight 2x and that's out of the window with the increased startup now. I've modified it by switching the second air knight for a ground knight, but that obviously only nets you 131AP.

It goes like this:

air knight, charge square, ground knight, mash triangle - 131AP

Not too bad, but like with most of her potential burst combos it relies on the now slow as molasses air knight opener.

I know air knight had to be slightly nerfed, i've been in FP vs FP matchups before and it could come down to a jumping and air knight spamming contest, waiting for an opening to hit that level 1, but a cooldown between uses with the startup speed left alone would have sufficed imo.

Edit:

OK, so i've got 6 AP burst combos now, but out of those 5 start with air knight, and 4 end with air side triangle. :l

whitehawk

Banned
They need to buff the heavenly sword girl. Halfway through her combo you can hold block to interrupt it. Every other characters combo is interruptible. Completely imbalanced.

TheMink

They need to buff the heavenly sword girl. Halfway through her combo you can hold block to interrupt it. Every other characters combo is interruptible. Completely imbalanced.

I agree, but you aren't doing it right if that happens.

Its not a combo if you can block in the middle of it.
I suspect you're doing something like right square-square square? That aint a combo.

Do down square-circle-up triangle-jump up triangle-circle.

SmithnCo

I agree, but you aren't doing it right if that happens.

Its not a combo if you can block in the middle of it.
I suspect you're doing something like right square-square square? That aint a combo.

Do down square-circle-up triangle-jump up triangle-circle.

I assume he means from her chain grab opener, because it is hard to land a down square without it. They can block most attacks from the chain so it is borderline useless. Especially now that they nerfed the air version.

But uhhh good job buffing her level 2 which is still an awful super that shouldn't be used anyway.

pompidu

Sony Santa Monica is working on it now, and yeah, they released their biggest patch yet but it's far from flawless.

It's better--but it still has balance issues.

OOO im glad, santa monica might fix this train wreck. I love this game but half these characters are useless in 4player ffa. ALso where the shit is Crash and SPyro?

Because whoever is left just gets jumped by the team that still has two players, and trying to land a super on two players who only have to pay attention to one character kinda sucks. Unless you're near a lvl 3 already, you're kinda screwed. :/

Completely possible, plan ahead, that's the fun of Stock.

Yeah, you're gonna have to elaborate on that. :/

Well, if you see your teammate down to their last life, start stocking up on your super, maybe use the super now before the handicap happens, etc.

Depends on the character, as well as skill of your partner. It's not impossible to work together to reduce the lives of your opponents, and when the 2v1 does happen, it's a matter of how skilled the other 2 are compared to you. If you get steamrolled, you have to just give it to the enemy player.

In a 2v1, you definitely cant go for long combos, but you can use items, be more evasive, etc. If you've saved up your super 2, for example, you can use it to eliminate one or both enemies, then do a quick combo on an opponent before his partner spawns in... It's all very situational, not impossible

SmithnCo

I just threw someone as Isaac, and Murray from Sly's level 1 passed through me? lol

Either a glitch or weird effect of his throw's projectile deflection...

Awesome bro!

I'm up to 11 AP burst combos with FP now, the only problem is 8 of them start with air knight. :p And of course some of them are very similar to others, due to the limited possibilities since the patch.

Oh well, at least they don't all end with air side triangle. And i've discovered another two 155AP combos, one of which actually starts on the ground.

TheMink

There. Done. :p

ibrLgy1vx60l8B.jpg

Camjo-Z

I don't know why but for some reason Carmelita seems to have two different voices on Alden's Tower. One of them is her normal Spanish accent from Sly 4, but then sometimes you hear this other voice that almost sounds like someone else entirely. Anybody else heard this?

I just threw someone as Isaac, and Murray from Sly's level 1 passed through me? lol

Either a glitch or weird effect of his throw's projectile deflection...

In my experience anyone with a gameplay mechanic that doesn't apply to any other character tends to be slightly glitched. See: PaRappa's AP boombox glitch, Heihachi's 3x AP glitch, Sir Dan's shield glitch, Isaac's throw glitch, etc.

Well, if you see your teammate down to their last life, start stocking up on your super, maybe use the super now before the handicap happens, etc.

Depends on the character, as well as skill of your partner. It's not impossible to work together to reduce the lives of your opponents, and when the 2v1 does happen, it's a matter of how skilled the other 2 are compared to you. If you get steamrolled, you have to just give it to the enemy player.

In a 2v1, you definitely cant go for long combos, but you can use items, be more evasive, etc. If you've saved up your super 2, for example, you can use it to eliminate one or both enemies, then do a quick combo on an opponent before his partner spawns in... It's all very situational, not impossible

It's just that in my experience you'd have to be messing up pretty hard to give up the 2v1 situation on the side with the advantage. A character's options decrease dramatically, since what is or isn't safe varies highly depending on the combination you're facing. And it's even worse for characters who have a hard enough in just 1v1. For the opposition, it's easy to cover for your partner and either a) deny the solo man his combo and super him/combo him yourself for AP or b) force the solo bro on the defensive and deprive him of any AP and wait for that one slip-up: that wrong roll, whiffed attacks , holding block for just one moment too long. etc. (We'll come back to this one)

You *might* get lucky and the right item drops in the right place on the map, right where you can get it without getting combo'd or caught in a super trying to get it. But more often than not, it will come down to raw skill. And if you're good enough that you can consistently make it out of a 2v1 situations, you probably wouldn't have ended up in the situation regardless of how good or bad your partner was.

As you said, it's possible. Situational, but possible. It's just that with the super-based kill system, you have to be the right character, with the right set of supers(and the right lvl within that set), with the enemy standing in the right space,and on the right section of the stage that won't interfere or architecture that may affect your super's distance or choice of approach. Is it possible to work within that? Sure. Everybody does it. But those variables go all out of whack when introducing a second opponent who's also exclusively targeting you.

Now the following is merely a personal problem: "b)" that I listed earlier tends to drag out matches. Solo guy/gal can't build AP and retaliate because two opponents are constantly forcing them the move. The two aggressors can't land a super since the solo person is focused on nothing but dodging in the attempt to stay in a game. It's a frustrating and boring stalemate to occur, and can cause a match to go on 10-15 minutes longer than it should. *Eventually* one side screws up, and it's often the person that was already at a disadvantage. It just annoys me.

Lol, first Fat Princess hatemail coming in, and i haven't even begun to use my new burst combos properly. After beating a team more or less alone, one of them wrote me a message saying "Fat child", nice. I've answered with "I'll eat you up". Met them again a bit later and beat them again, no message this time. It's a shame, i was going to reply with "Omnomnom", but i don't send messages unless provoked, so i let it be. :p

But i still need to train more, i think i've worked on too many combos since yesterday and now they're all a blur. I guess i should concentrate on 1-2 and get profficient at them at first. Even though i did hardly any burst combos, my improved understanding of how to string together her combos did help me improve a bit and i actually got to use her level 3 a few times. Sadly, it's still pretty crappy, unless the other players are complete noobs, you will get 3 kills at most in FFA and 2 in 2v2, so it isn't really worth saving up for unless you're doing really well and want to do it just because. The chicken isn't what it used to be either, by the way, most people are good at evading it, which makes it easy to waste it. I'll just stick to hit confirms and level 1 supers for the most part. I caught a few people on their wrong foot when i just used quick ground knight into level 1 combos, and the sweep into ground knight is another good one.

It's a struggle to fight people that jump around a lot though, the air knight nerf means it's harder to pin them down on the ground and she doesn't have any air combos, so you're stuck with 1-hit attacks against airborne opponents. The best thing you can do is flyswat them with air neutral circle, but you can't really follow that up with anything. I've summoned an air knight against a Kratos that was charging a move on the ground. I'm thinking to myself: "Surely that's enough of an opening to hit him with the knight", but nope, he let it fly and still had enough time to roll out of the way. :l

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
They need to do something with ragequits.

I got like 5 ragequits under like 30 minutes or so. (Quick Match if you want to know)
Edited: change the numbers.

Jesus, why is it so hard to find matches through the vita? I spent more time searhing for opponents than actually playing. I don't remember it being this bad when it first launched.

Well, I would suppose that less people are playing.

Isnt it still cross-play? I mean it's like this always for me now and the reason I sold the PS3 version is because I had it on the vita and it always worked fine til the last few patches... but it's kinda impossible to find matches now. It just says "Connecting..." and goes back to "Searching for opponents" and repeats this cycle a few times and finally "Failed to find match" or whatever. Vita version is probably broken.

Skyzard

Banned
I have no issues finding a game, usually connect in less than 20 seconds. Open DMZ or ports on your Vita :)

I don't know what the ports are, I just set DMZ on my Vita - have no issues (except with people that have port issues of course, but then so will most people with routers have trouble connecting to them).

If it fails to connect the first time I tend to just press back and retry. Usually works the next time. Of course if I'm playing at 3-4am it takes a little bit longer, maybe up to a minute, even 2 sometimes but usually less.

I wish they'd fucking explain the ports with each game released, I don't understand how they can't when it affects nearly every mp game that isn't an fps. It was a real pain for me to connect without DMZ.

I have no issues finding a game, usually connect in less than 20 seconds. Open DMZ or ports on your Vita :)

I don't know what the ports are, I just set DMZ on my Vita - have no issues (except with people that have port issues of course, but then so will most people with routers have trouble connecting to them).

If it fails to connect the first time I tend to just press back and retry. Usually works the next time. Of course if I'm playing at 3-4am it takes a little bit longer, maybe up to a minute, even 2 sometimes but usually less.

I wish they'd fucking explain the ports with each game released, I don't understand how they can't when it affects nearly every mp game that isn't an fps. It was a real pain for me to connect without DMZ.

So um, what is this DMZ or ports thing? Sorry, I have no idea what that means :(

Skyzard

Banned
So um, what is this DMZ or ports thing? Sorry, I have no idea what that means :(

Basically, enabling it opens ALL the ports on the device you've set it to, allowing connections with other people to be established much easier. It's best to set up a specific IP address for the Vita (based on the mac address which you can see in network status on vita, or through the router depending on which one you have) so that you don't have to keep changing the DMZ device when your Vita changes IP address. Then you just go to the Wide Area Network (WAN) section or port forwarding and enable "DMZ" on the IP address you've set for the vita.

Accessing the router page is usually done by going to browser and typing 192.168.1.1 or something similar in the address bar. If this is new to you I would recommend finding the make and model of your router (should be on it) and googling how to access the router setting page. Most likely there will be decent information guiding you properly.

pompidu

What's that? A Nariko-specific thing she does?

Maybe its the same person, but for the past two days. narito has been able to NOT SHOW UP AT ALL in zeus 3rd super. LIKE PHYSICALLY NOT THERE AT ALL but reappears after its done. Christ they really need to fucking nerf raiden. cant block him and he can interrupt way too many attacks.

pompidu

Im trading the game is, it was fun while i had. Someone just glitched the game to get zeus lvl 3 in 30 secs. Game is too broken for me to play anymore.

Leezard

Isnt it still cross-play? I mean it's like this always for me now and the reason I sold the PS3 version is because I had it on the vita and it always worked fine til the last few patches... but it's kinda impossible to find matches now. It just says "Connecting..." and goes back to "Searching for opponents" and repeats this cycle a few times and finally "Failed to find match" or whatever. Vita version is probably broken.

Yeah, but I'd guess less people are playing on both PS3 and Vita. The last time I played this I got to face the same people 2-3 games in a row, and it took ages to find a match after that, which got new people. My interest in the game has dropped quite a bit lately, after playing it a lot for the first 2 months.

OwlyKnees

It's just that in my experience you'd have to be messing up pretty hard to give up the 2v1 situation on the side with the advantage. A character's options decrease dramatically, since what is or isn't safe varies highly depending on the combination you're facing. And it's even worse for characters who have a hard enough in just 1v1. For the opposition, it's easy to cover for your partner and either a) deny the solo man his combo and super him/combo him yourself for AP or b) force the solo bro on the defensive and deprive him of any AP and wait for that one slip-up: that wrong roll, whiffed attacks , holding block for just one moment too long. etc. (We'll come back to this one)

You *might* get lucky and the right item drops in the right place on the map, right where you can get it without getting combo'd or caught in a super trying to get it. But more often than not, it will come down to raw skill. And if you're good enough that you can consistently make it out of a 2v1 situations, you probably wouldn't have ended up in the situation regardless of how good or bad your partner was.

As you said, it's possible. Situational, but possible. It's just that with the super-based kill system, you have to be the right character, with the right set of supers(and the right lvl within that set), with the enemy standing in the right space,and on the right section of the stage that won't interfere or architecture that may affect your super's distance or choice of approach. Is it possible to work within that? Sure. Everybody does it. But those variables go all out of whack when introducing a second opponent who's also exclusively targeting you.

Now the following is merely a personal problem: "b)" that I listed earlier tends to drag out matches. Solo guy/gal can't build AP and retaliate because two opponents are constantly forcing them the move. The two aggressors can't land a super since the solo person is focused on nothing but dodging in the attempt to stay in a game. It's a frustrating and boring stalemate to occur, and can cause a match to go on 10-15 minutes longer than it should. *Eventually* one side screws up, and it's often the person that was already at a disadvantage. It just annoys me.

I get what you're saying, but that's the point. It's 2v1. You or your teammate have lost all their stock, therefore you've failed in regards to working well as a team (whomever's fault it may be). It's not going to be balanced in your favour, it should be extremely difficult to come out on top. It's rare, but as you've said, can be pulled off.

I do agree with some characters being too evasive and dragging out matches, though. The two team mates left have to stay apart in those situations, not both chase after the guy like headless chickens

I get what you're saying, but that's the point. It's 2v1. You or your teammate have lost all their stock, therefore you've failed in regards to working well as a team (whomever's fault it may be). It's not going to be balanced in your favour, it should be extremely difficult to come out on top. It's rare, but as you've said, can be pulled off.

I do agree with some characters being too evasive and dragging out matches, though. The two team mates left have to stay apart in those situations, not both chase after the guy like headless chickens

I know that's the point. It's just that in Time and Kill Limit when you fail to operate as a team you lose that match and that's it. You don't have to sit there and watch the your last teammate get bounced around for 5 unnecessary minutes and *then* lose the round.

OwlyKnees

I know that's the point. It's just that in Time and Kill Limit when you fail to operate as a team you lose that match and that's it. You don't have to sit there and watch the your last teammate get bounced around for 5 unnecessary minutes and *then* lose the round.

Fair enough! I'm a fan of all 2v2 modes, so I like to mix them up. Any one mode would likely get boring in this game.

Top Bottom