• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

I unlocked the new character via my God of war code, yet can't access the new characters despite downloading them for both my vita and PS3. Anyone know if I have to jump through an additional hoop to unlock them?

whitehawk

Banned
Just ran into a glitch with Zues' level 3. Two of us were stuck on the ground or something. We weren't able to get killed. He could only kill the one other player. It really messed up his game.

whitehawk

Banned
I have a challenge for you guys. What's the highest score you can get against a CPU team? (1 star).

My best so far:

jMgUwQFRYfDIM.jpg

Still getting a feel for the new characters, currently concentrating on Isaac. I've never played the Dead Space games, but he seems pretty cool in All-Stars. I've tried to play a few games with Zeus and with him being so slow and me not knowing how to string together some combos i wasn't really feeling him, until i came across some decent Zeus players online. Holy shit, what a beast in the right hands.

His level 3 seems to be a bit glitchy though, one time he appeared in his giant form with his back against the screen, blocking the view for everyone.

Some more impressions about the patch - Big Daddy's level 1 seems a lot better now, i don't play as him, but i've been in a few matches with him since the patch and the improved speed and range of it gives it a nice boost over how it was before. I saw BD players getting a good number of kills and double kills with it, whereas previously the move hardly ever hit anyone in my experience.

Being able to interrupt Sly during his level 1 is also great, i can't count the number of times i've hit him with a heavy attack during startup and being pissed at his invincibility every time, so this is a very welcome change.

I don't mind the changes to my main Drake much, it mostly curbs barrel spamming, if not by much. Regardless of what i've said previously, i do mind FP's air knight nerf though. While it still works as a hit confirm, after trying it out outside of practice mode it's so slow now that hitting anyone with it is a fluke, which bothers me more for the loss of a great combo opener, than a hit confirm. Now that i think of it, they should've left the startup speed alone and just made it impossible to do a level 1 right after it connects. And her level 3, while seemingly more frantic, will still only net you 3 kills in most cases, 4-5 if you're extremely lucky.

BeastM0de

Neo Member
What do you mean there's no excuse? You're not owed a 1v1 mode, just because you want it. And who are you to say it would be "Astoundingly easy" to implement? Maybe it wouldnt be easy to implement, or at least not cost effective for ssm. And maybe they don't want to deal with whiners like you who would cry about the inevitably broken 1v1 balance. And then they'd have to worry about patching 1v1 on top of everything else, and no matter what they fixed it would inevitably cause problems in some mode.

Sorry, but your rant came off as strident and obnoxious. Nobody else really cares about how many things you hate about the game (well, I suppose I can't speak for others, but I sure don't). They took a lot of time to put out this patch and I'm thankful for it, and I personally am pretty happy with the changes (and I was a fatty p main, so thats really saying something lol)

Yeah I agree this was a good patch. A lot of the characters just feel right. The disparity between the tiers has gotten smaller. BUT that doesn't mean some important things havent been addressed for MONTHS now.

It's just annoying that there are road blocks to playing the game. If I want to 1v1 I have to find someone good and send an invite and set up a game. A 1v1 quick match option is very easy to implement.

2v2 ranked should allow people to play with randoms. It should probably be set to kill limit 7 or something as well. (I say this because superbot was apparently thinking about changing some of the default game modes).

These are simple additions that would vastly improve many peoples experiences. Maybe not all, but most.
I don't mind the changes to my main Drake much, it mostly curbs barrel spamming, if not by much. Regardless of what i've said previously, i do mind FP's air knight nerf though. While it still works as a hit confirm, after trying it out outside of practice mode it's so slow now that hitting anyone with it is a fluke, which bothers me more for the loss of a great combo opener, than a hit confirm. Now that i think of it, they should've left the startup speed alone and just made it impossible to do a level 1 right after it connects. And her level 3, while seemingly more frantic, will still only net you 3 kills in most cases, 4-5 if you're extremely lucky.
Yeah the startup speed kills the move. More delay between minions was all it really needed. Its a shame.

The more i play as FP, the more pissed i am at the air knight nerf. It's not as if the move was hard to block or dodge before, but now the opponent would have to be asleep to get hit by hit. As a combo opener it's near useless now. I'll have to look up if there are more noncontextual burst combos with her, but the only decent ones i know are variations that all start with an air knight and that's pretty much out of the window now as far as consistency goes. Alternatively i could start with (air) down square, but since that doesn't result in a buttdrop, you can't follow up with (charge) square or ground knight, which means you'll get 135 AP at best instead of 145, if you manage to land it at all.

Any good FP players among you have some ideas for burst combos that aren't totally contextual (like the one that requires a wall)?

OwlyKnees

Zeus and Isaac are absolutely not as interesting as Kat or Emmett, but the Medieval stage far surpasses Fearless in every shape and form.

Still worth it.

The first combo in this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ2P2-2ljfE

How do you do that? As far as i can see she hits Drake with neutral square, but he drops to his knees and she gains 10AP. I realize there have been some changes since december, but i don't remember her neutral square having this effect before the recent patch at least. As it is now i don't see this combo working at all. Until recently, i haven't played as her for a while, was her neutral square this powerful at launch and then got nerfed?

TheMink

The first combo in this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ2P2-2ljfE

How do you do that? As far as i can see she hits Drake with neutral square, but he drops to his knees and she gains 10AP. I realize there have been some changes since december, but i don't remember her neutral square having this effect before the recent patch at least. As it is now i don't see this combo working at all. Until recently, i haven't played as her for a while, was her neutral square this powerful at launch and then got nerfed?

Im not an FP player, but i am good at combos, if you i can look into some new ones?

Heres the changes.

Fat Princess
--- Neutral Square now causes Light Overhead reaction and gains 5 AP
--- Armor does not activate until frame 6 (was frame 1) on Charge Up Neutral Square
--- Air Forward Circle (Summon Warrior) now has 21 additional frames of start-up as well as longer recovery
--- If Fat Princess summons any assists in the air she will land in the Attack Land state instead of the normal land state
--- Level 3 Super - Increased number of mages and bombs that show up and removed delay of warriors showing up

So no, that combo doesnt work anymore.

Im not an FP player, but i am good at combos, if you i can look into some new ones?

Heres the changes.

So no, that combo doesnt work anymore.

Ah, damn. I see, "light overhead reaction", that makes a lot of cool combos obsolete. Although i still don't seem to remember neutral square being as heavy hitting as in these videos before this patch, have they changed anything about her before? Or maybe my memory is just bad. When the patch notes hit i was mainly concentrating on the air knight change, but now i see she got hit with the nerf stick badly. :/

I'm normally not a FG player, so i struggle a bit with combo intricacies and mostly just work on modifying combos i see elsewhere, so i'd definitely appreciate you looking into it, especially since you don't seem to like FP much. ;) Some AP burst combos that aren't depending on walls or are ridiculously hard to pull off would be nice, but i'll take anything really. Right now the only AP burst combo i know how to do is the following:

Air knight, (charge) neutral square, ground knight, square, square, up square, (air) side triangle for 145 AP

And variations of it. Alternatively i sometimes leave out the ground knight and do a side square before up square, which results in 135AP. Or i might do the ground knight, as well as side square before up square, which gives you 135AP without having to finish off with (air) side triangle.

Now that the air knight is so slow, i tried other combo starters, like (air) down square or (charge) square, which both work, but with the former i tend to drop the combo following side square more often than i would like (The dummy in practice mode does an air recovery when i try to follow up with up square, so either my timing or positioning aren't strict enough. Also, it gives you only 135AP), and while the latter gives you 145AP, it is a terribly slow combo startup move and leaves you vulnerable since you have to be fairly close to connect.

So yes, any help from you and other combo gurus is greatly appreciated. I really need to branch out a bit so i won't rely on Drake as much and FP seems to be the best fit for me so far.

TheMink

Id love too!

Im at work right now so in the mean time use this guide i made on formulating burst combos!

Once 100 AP is hit in a combo the enemy is bursted out of a combo. The act of reaching the burst gives you 30 AP as a bonus for doing so.

20+20+20+20+20=100+burst=130 AP

Ok great, simple enough right?

But what about people getting 155 AP combos?

155 is just about max for most characters and this is how it works.

20+20+20+20=80 so you only need 20 more AP to burst. Thats true in a sense, but its far more effecient to get to the highest possible number before bursting. Which for simplicities sake lets say that number is 95.

Instead of going for all huge hits (which also happens to be the easiest combos) try and go for a few smaller hits in there to bring up the total number before bursting.

20+20+5+5+20+5+20=95 now at this point in your combo will burst in 5 more AP. But if you were to finish your combo with a 5 AP hit that would be a tremendous waste because that will just make you hit 130 again.
When you are at the 95 point in your combo you want to hit with the hardest single motion attack in your arsenal if possible. 30AP is the heaviest single attack i believe (zeus will probably change that).

95+30=125+burst=155 AP

Exceptions to the Rule:

Grabs and Dantes Guns.

Grabs do not contribute to the burst in any way. So if you can combo out of your grab (im looking at you kat) you can potentially gain 215 AP from a single combo (assuming they are at a full lvl 3 and you get 155 AP in your combo)

Dantes Guns also do not contribute to the burst in any way and cannot cause a burst. Therefore they act as free AP.

So a regular combo no guns might look like this:

20+5+5+10+20+5+5+20+30=120+burst=150

But heres what the same looks like with guns (in parenthesis) at maxpotential:

20+(10)+5+5+10+(20)+20+5+5+20+(10)+30=160+burst=190

Not even the best combo Dante can do.

So take your current combo, it starts with the air knight. That gives 20 ap.

All you have to do in order to burst the same way is to get 20 ap at any point in the combo other than the end. (As its best to finish with the 30 ap hit)

I think air down square gives 20? Or maybe neutral air square?
Idk if that will work, i dont know FP well enough.

Try some stuff like that, see if it works!

SSReborn

So I was curious as to what the little green guy says about everyone in the new stage.

Drake - Better think twice about your plans mister master thief. These tombs have already been plenty raided thank you
Nariko - You know what they say about Red Heads don't you? ... they uh.. have red hair..
Sir Daniel- Lets see how the Hero of Gallomere fairs against opponents with a pulse.
Cole - How is it that you manage to bath with abilities as shocking as yours good sir.
Sly - Everyone check your pockets there's a thieving raccoon about
Toro - Allow me to make one thing clear feline I am not a scratching post.
Kratos - No need to be so irate mate its not that bad being bald
Jak - Don't look now mate but I think there's a mongoose on your shoulder
Dante - While you are exceedingly cool Mr. Demon Hunter putting on a shirt and getting a job are that much cooler.
Spike - Surely its past your bedtime young man.
I don't think he says anything about anyone else. Kinda wish more stages had a character similar to him commenting on the fight and characters. He is awesome.

So I was curious as to what the little green guy says about everyone in the new stage.

Drake - Better think twice about your plans mister master thief. These tombs have already been plenty raided thank you
Nariko - You know what they say about Red Heads don't you? ... they uh.. have red hair..
Sir Daniel- Lets see how the Hero of Gallomere fairs against opponents with a pulse.
Cole - How is it that you manage to bath with abilities as shocking as yours good sir.
Dante - While you are exceedingly cool Mr. Demon Hunter putting on a shirt and getting a job are that much cooler.
I don't think he says anything about anyone else. Kinda wish more stages had a character similar to him commenting on the fight and characters. He is awesome.

Thanks for this...I was wondering. In the heat of a fight it's sometimes difficult to pay attention to him. :)

Lmao I love the one for Dante.

Superbot (or I guess SMS?) have a lot of good ideas with these DLC's when it comes to these little things. Some of this was added later with DLC (Isaac's special outros). Just shows that they have these interesting concepts with time, kills me that we may never see a sequel. I also look at stages like Alden's Tower and Stowaways compared to what they had with starting stages with Hades and Metropolis.

If they just got a few more right members on the team (especially UI side and SP side) this game could have gotten a lot more polish.

I just think it's unfortunate that the roster being the determining factor was stunted, and I am assuming it had to do with Superbot's lack of reputation?

Regardless, I hope we can see a sequel in the right hands. I swear Insomniac could do a great job if anybody, maybe even Mm, especially on the presentation side.

I really appreciate all the little things SB has put into this game, from what you just posted to other little things like Sweet Tooth using a PlayStation controller to control his Super 2.

Id love too!

Im at work right now so in the mean time use this guide i made on formulating burst combos!

So take your current combo, it starts with the air knight. That gives 20 ap.

All you have to do in order to burst the same way is to get 20 ap at any point in the combo other than the end. (As its best to finish with the 30 ap hit)

I think air down square gives 20? Or maybe neutral air square?
Idk if that will work, i dont know FP well enough.

Try some stuff like that, see if it works!

Sure, no hurry, thanks for the combo guide. I did read it when you first posted it, but i'll go over it again. As for replacing air knight, (air) down square does work as a replacement, but since it doesn't result in a buttdrop, the timing for the followup move is much shorter. So instead of:

- Air knight, (charge) square, ground knight, square, square, up square, (air) side triangle - 145AP

i have to do...

- (air) down square, ground knight, square, square, side square, up square, (air) side triangle - 145AP

The problem with this second combo is that it has two spots where i drop it way too often. While starting with (air) down square does give you 20AP, it doesn't affect the other player much and you don't have enough time to do a (charge) neutral square, therefore i have to do ground knight at that part, but the timing for that is much stricter now with the lack of buttdrop. The second problematic part for me is the added side square. For some reason i have a hard time consistently linking side square, up square in practice mode, since the dummy keeps air recovering between the two attacks. It's not that i can't do it at all, but even when i practice just linking those two moves back to back, for some reason the bastard keeps flipping out of it 70% of the time. I'm not sure if the timing is just that strict, if it's a latency problem with my TV, or if i just plain suck, but i would think that it shouldn't be that hard to consistently link these two moves.

Actually, the ground knight after (air) down square part isn't THAT problematic for me, even if it it's easier following up an successful air knight, but that side square, up square really gets me. I wish i could record it to show you, he just keeps flipping out of it. Trying it now in practice mode, i think the 30% success rate has been an overstatement.

It's the same if i start the combo with (charge) neutral square (which of course has been nerfed too), because i have to follow it up with the same string. Basically what screwed me over is the combined nerf of air knight, neutral square and charged neutral square, leaving at least one of these untouched would have helped me out greatly.

What pisses me off the most is that i've been getting back into FP recently. I've just learned this combo a few weeks ago, and now it's already nerfed to hell, along with a bunch of others i didn't even have the chance to learn yet. It's not as if she has an overabundance of burst combos like some other characters. :/

BeastM0de

Neo Member
Ehh all the reactions so far and impressions is really disappointing. I haven't played since the weekend planned on picking it back up after the patch, but since the patch released I think I'm done playing pretty much. Really unfortunate, but it's just been handled so poorly.

What reactions are poor? The balance patch was really solid and brought a lot of characters closer together tier wise.

TheMink

Sure, no hurry, thanks for the combo guide. I did read it when you first posted it, but i'll go over it again. As for replacing air knight, (air) down square does work as a replacement, but since it doesn't result in a buttdrop, the timing for the followup move is much shorter. So instead of:

- Air knight, (charge) square, ground knight, square, square, up square, (air) side triangle - 145AP

i have to do...

- (air) down square, ground knight, square, square, side square, up square, (air) side triangle - 145AP

The problem with this second combo is that it has two spots where i drop it way too often. While starting with (air) down square does give you 20AP, it doesn't affect the other player much and you don't have enough time to do a (charge) neutral square, therefore i have to do ground knight at that part, but the timing for that is much stricter now with the lack of buttdrop. The second problematic part for me is the added side square. For some reason i have a hard time consistently linking side square, up square in practice mode, since the dummy keeps air recovering between the two attacks. It's not that i can't do it at all, but even when i practice just linking those two moves back to back, for some reason the bastard keeps flipping out of it 70% of the time. I'm not sure if the timing is just that strict, if it's a latency problem with my TV, or if i just plain suck, but i would think that it shouldn't be that hard to consistently link these two moves.

Actually, the ground knight after (air) down square part isn't THAT problematic for me, even if it it's easier following up an successful air knight, but that side square, up square really gets me. I wish i could record it to show you, he just keeps flipping out of it. Trying it now in practice mode, i think the 30% success rate has been an overstatement.

It's the same if i start the combo with (charge) neutral square (which of course has been nerfed too), because i have to follow it up with the same string. Basically what screwed me over is the combined nerf of air knight, neutral square and charged neutral square, leaving at least one of these untouched would have helped me out greatly.

What pisses me off the most is that i've been getting back into FP recently. I've just learned this combo a few weeks ago, and now it's already nerfed to hell, along with a bunch of others i didn't even have the chance to learn yet. It's not as if she has an overabundance of burst combos like some other characters. :/

Yeah that right square up square is weird sometimes.

When this gets ported to PS4 we will stream all day haha
*sobs*

Im sure shes got more than a few combo options left. We will figure it out!

Best glitch EVER!

Jam Session shows you only gain 10 AP.
It actually gains 20 AP! I tested it. 7 hits with Jam gets level 1 from scratch. There is no way it would happen with 10 AP.

Sackboy buff! Sackboy buff! SACKBOY BUFF! REJOICE!!

(before they fix this DX)

Have they said anything about future DLC characters now that these are out? Didn't they say "stay tuned for March" when Kat and Emmett were released?

Step

So far I find the new characters well balance, but I feel that Zeus need a bit less armor and maybe a bit less AP gain on some moves, mostly the charged bolts, but it is nothing game breaking.

Camjo-Z

Best glitch EVER!

Jam Session shows you only gain 10 AP.
It actually gains 20 AP! I tested it. 7 hits with Jam gets level 1 from scratch. There is no way it would happen with 10 AP.

Sackboy buff! Sackboy buff! SACKBOY BUFF! REJOICE!!

(before they fix this DX)

Yeah my Sackboy-maining friend was wondering how he was able to get to Level 3 easily now despite no Sackboy AP buffs, turns out that was it. I fully expect it to get nerfed again though because they seem to really want Sackboy to be a rushdown character despite having all the makings of a long-range one.

pantsmith

Superbot (or I guess SMS?) have a lot of good ideas with these DLC's when it comes to these little things. Some of this was added later with DLC (Isaac's special outros). Just shows that they have these interesting concepts with time, kills me that we may never see a sequel. I also look at stages like Alden's Tower and Stowaways compared to what they had with starting stages with Hades and Metropolis.

If they just got a few more right members on the team (especially UI side and SP side) this game could have gotten a lot more polish.

I just think it's unfortunate that the roster being the determining factor was stunted, and I am assuming it had to do with Superbot's lack of reputation?

Regardless, I hope we can see a sequel in the right hands. I swear Insomniac could do a great job if anybody, maybe even Mm, especially on the presentation side.

I really appreciate all the little things SB has put into this game, from what you just posted to other little things like Sweet Tooth using a PlayStation controller to control his Super 2.

I mentioned this before, but the game was originally supposed to be developed by Naughty Dog. Which is crazy to think about.

The game is mechanically excellent, maybe a bit rough around the edges, but it has the foundation of what could be an amazing series. It just needs a new coat of paint and polish. If Seth were to make a sequel his pet project, working within and with the resources of SSM, it could very well be what the series needed.

Skyzard

Banned
I'm not sure I want new characters for a while...feels like they have enough bugs to deal with now from the recent update - I've run into lots! And especially not at full price again, it's getting too much, will probably wait for a sale next time. Loving the game at the moment but too many small but random glitches to ignore, especially when previously they killed my PS3.

I have a challenge for you guys. What's the highest score you can get against a CPU team? (1 star).

My best so far:

http://i.minus.com/jMgUwQFRYfDIM.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iF9hpIpCSjXQj.png

Arcade mode, All-Star difficulty. 3 minutes. Back, like, a week or two after launch.

TheMink

Ok so in my limited FP experience heres what i came up with so far that doesnt require an air knight or a side square to up square.

Short Jump down square-right circle-short jump down square-neutral square square-up square-jump right triangle.

I...ill keep looking.

Edit: its easier than right square up square tho so you have that at least.

degelraadio

Neo Member
Does anyone want to do a match sometime? I'm mostly new here, as in, I'm a pretty big lurker. I'm also not the best at this game, but still... If anyone wants to do a match or two, then I'm game.

PSN account is degelraadio

1v1 = too many playlists, not enough players

IMO, just get rid of ranked. Who cares about belts?

Or altrrnate the ranked parameters evry month, host a weekend playlist for 1v1.

I think theyre just afraid because without a timed and stock, 1v1 doesnt work. Itd drag too long or people wouud run away in timed

IMO, give us timed stock, Dojo, Boss Arena, and training as the stages

I REALLY wish they could allow for us to play at stage phases. I want to play Stoaway Part one only for the lulz

pompidu

Got another ps3 so im back to the game! dl the 1gb update. if you sent me a friend request i will accept them when its done. love to get back to playing. her my psn if anyone wants to play, psn id: ilama

Top Bottom