• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

SmithnCo

Well, he stood up to moderator and told him that he was being two-faced from what I remembered them moderator called him out or something. I guess he want to keep his pride and bail out. I don't remember much.

Edited: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491152&page=98

everything happened at that page.

He was probably planning to leave before that and that was his last hurrah, so to speak. Based on messages I got before that.

But anyways, he was sorely missed. The most enthusiastic guy here, he kept the hype up for sure.

TheMink

Well, he stood up to moderator and told him that he was being two-faced from what I remembered them moderator called him out or something. I guess he want to keep his pride and bail out. I don't remember much.

Edited:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491152&page=97
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491152&page=98

everything happened at that page.

Yes im familiar, i just thought it odd that he didn't even tell me anything before deleting me off his friends list.
It doesnt bother me, just odd.

Told me to post the pic he drew in the OP but by way of Drencom, not personally.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Yes im familiar, i just thought it odd that he didn't even tell me anything before deleting me off his friends list.
It doesnt bother me, just odd.

Told me to post the pic he drew in the OP but by way of Drencom, not personally.

Perhaps he doesn't want to feel the temptations to come back if he played or talked with GAF friends on Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale. (That's my assumption)

My PS3 has kicked the bucket.

Sneaky sister plays COD all damn night and didnt even tell me. Go upstairs and see the light is blinking red, try to start it and it automatically shuts down. Disc is still in there.

What do I do now? I dont think I can afford a new PS3... well, maybe I could, but I can retrieve my HDD, no? It's 500 gigs.

Can I get that $99 model from the UK?

My PS3 has kicked the bucket.

Sneaky sister plays COD all damn night and didnt even tell me. Go upstairs and see the light is blinking red, try to start it and it automatically shuts down. Disc is still in there.

What do I do now? I dont think I can afford a new PS3... well, maybe I could, but I can retrieve my HDD, no? It's 500 gigs.

Can I get that $99 model from the UK?

There ain't a $99 model :lol. Just so you know if you are getting that slim model you need to buy some weird ass rail peripheral or something so you can use your old HDD afaik.

Man I need to go buy some popcorn tomorrow and swim through that 10k post thread about Durango DRM :lol.

Also yay Francis gave a shoutout for PSASBR in his video :lol.

There ain't a $99 model :lol. Just so you know if you are getting that slim model you need to buy some weird ass rail peripheral or something so you can use your old HDD afaik.

Man I need to go buy some popcorn tomorrow and swim through that 10k post thread about Durango DRM :lol.

Also yay Francis gave a shoutout for PSASBR in his video :lol.

What happened to that no HDD model?

I just need a PS3 without the HDD at least. I'm not done with you guys :'(

I dont want to die like this.

Vysetron

Neo Member
I just read this rather astoundingly in-depth moveset for the King of All Cosmos on the official forums, single-handedly convinced me, among a rush of Katamari nostalgia, what a great choice he would be. Credit to the poster. A Katamari stage and character would be sublime.

I don't normally like fan movesets very much, but oh my god I'd play the hell out of some King. They even came up with which song clips to use for win music!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Urgh, the "This is Living" trophy is very frustrating (on my Vita). Is there any easy way to get this damned trophy when everyone is so good? :|

Urgh, the "This is Living" trophy is very frustrating (on my Vita). Is there any easy way to get this damned trophy when everyone is so good? :|

You could try playing Radec or Sackboy and just do everything you can to stay far from the other players. Depends on the stage of course how easy this would be.

I think you can get it against bots or friends locally, if that helps.
I'm pretty sure it needs to be matchmaking game.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So a 1vs1 invite with a friend is a no go? Some people said they got a trophy through that way though.

Drencrom

Drencrom supposedly knows something but I dunno if he is allowed to spill the beans.

Yeah, he told me a week or so after he left GAF what's going on. I'm sorry but I won't give you guys any specifics (by his request which I'll respect) but there were some serious personal reasons and he wished all you guys well.

Anyway, he popped online on Skype two months ago and we chatted a bit. He's definitely alive and things were looking up for him :)

I do miss that crazy bastard

Yeah, he told me a week or so after he left GAF what's going on. I'm sorry but I won't give you guys any specifics (by his request which I'll respect) but there were some serious personal reasons and he wished all you guys well.

Anyway, he popped online on Skype two months ago and we chatted a bit. He's definitely alive and things were looking up for him :)

I do miss that crazy bastard

He was a good fella for a dutch.

whitehawk

Banned
My favourite thing to do right now is play fee-for-all stock limited with Toro, and just the AP gain move. I just jump up and keep floating down slowly, all while slowly leveling up. People keep hitting me but it allows me to go higher and higher. Being in the air all the time allows me to easily avoid a lot of supers as well. Dante's and Killzone level 3 for example. So basically I let them kill each other than I come in with a level 3 and win. They never see it coming.

If there are still people left, I usually have 2-3 lives :)

Huh, this is probably old news to most of you, but I only just realised that Sir Daniel, along with Sweet Tooth and Gex the Gecko, cameoed in Hot Shots/Everybody's Golf 2 back on the Playstation. Matter of fact Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Toro, Kuro, Kratos, Helghast Soldier, Ape Escape monkey and Kat have all appeared in the series, which obviously appears in the Sandover Village stage in All-stars. Neat!

OwlyKnees

Huh, this is probably old news to most of you, but I only just realised that Sir Daniel, along with Sweet Tooth and Gex the Gecko, cameoed in Hot Shots/Everybody's Golf 2 back on the Playstation. Matter of fact Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Toro, Kuro, Kratos, Helghast Soldier, Ape Escape monkey and Kat have all appeared in the series, which obviously appears in the Sandover Village stage in All-stars. Neat!

Cool trivia! I do enjoy a good cameo. Will need to check the series out.

Also, fuck Time Station.

Seems like this thread is in serious danger of dying... so unfortunate, but understandable given SSM's silence on whether or not All-Stars will continue to see any support. I hope they say something soon.

Man, I miss the Paul Gale/character speculation and raging days...

Camjo-Z

Seems like this thread is in serious danger of dying... so unfortunate, but understandable given SSM's silence on whether or not All-Stars will continue to see any support. I hope they say something soon.

Fear not, ye of little faith.
jk i was sure they had dropped it too

Our studio is still very much committed to #PSAllStars, at this time, that is all we can update with for the moment

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/apr/09/sony-santa-monica-studios-still-committed-playstation-all-stars-battle-royale/

Yeah, I saw that back when they said it, but I don't know... that could mean anything, even as little as the occasional "balancing" patch and costume pack. And it's not like they'd say "sorry, we've dropped All-Stars" if they didn't have anything coming, just to avoid pissing people off. Then again, they didn't have to say anything at all, so there could be something to look forward to. I sure hope so!

TheMink

yoo. so whats the consensus on the last balance patch and DLC chars?

I personally really liked it (as a dante player) but i think most people would say that the top characters weren't hit hard enough, and low characters weren't buffed enough.

But i think the answer is somewhere in the middle of what people are asking for.

Edit:

My personal opinion is that high tier should stay the same and low tier should get huge buffs.
I want everyone to feel OP :p

Camjo-Z

-Drake was the only top tier that got nerfed properly
-Kratos and Sly got away with slaps on the wrist, which is bad
-Raiden actually got an EXTRA way to combo and kill people with his new down throw, which is worse
-Jak and Fat Princess seem to have been made more balanced overall thanks to nerfing their most overused moves and buffing others
-Sackboy appears to have been unintentionally made viable since his jelly still says it earns 10 AP but actually earns him 20 AP like it should, so uh... thanks for not noticing that
-Toro is now bottom tier trash because he has zero moves aside from a difficult to land air side+square that can combo/hit confirm into a super, his supers are too slow and telegraphed to be used raw, and his Level 3 is a cinematic. Removing his only redeeming ability (fast divekick) and giving him nothing useful in return is one of the worst nerfs I've seen in any fighting game, since now he requires either spamming his scorpion to get AP fast or using tons of skill to pull off difficult combos but his supers are so bad there's no reason to put in the effort either way

As for Zeus and Isaac, they're are fun to play but unfortunately some less than adequate bug testing makes them a bit cheap. Zeus has the best dodging abilities in the game since he can hold the analog stick while he dodges to have like 1 total frame of vulnerability (making Level 3's easy to avoid), and although it's not that useful most of the time he can teleport under the floor on Dojo and Fearless. Isaac on the other hand has a relatively easy to pull off gun loop that gives everyone PTSD Drake nightmares and his Level 1 gets messed up sometimes and aims wildly for no reason making you miss easy shots. But other than that stuff they have some very fun movesets and don't feel overly broken or anything (although Isaac's mine is ridiculously good and could probably use a slight nerf, way too easy to shut down melee characters with that thing)

Overall I'd say the patch was underwhelming since although a few characters were made more balanced the much maligned top tiers didn't get any meaningful nerfs and Toro was made garbage for no reason but the DLC characters are very good as long as their bugs get patched out at some point.

My personal opinion is that high tier should stay the same and low tier should get huge buffs.
I want everyone to feel OP :p

I would agree with you except I can't think of any buff that would possibly bring the likes of Sir Dan, Nariko, Radec, and Toro on the level of Kratos, Raiden, Sly, and the Coles. I'm all for giving low tiers some buffs but the top tiers definitely need to be toned down a bit as well.

Althought I havent buy DLC chars I have seen how glitchy they are. Isaac aims weirdly and has that gun loop. Zeus has too good roll.

As for patches?

-Lol Kratos. Actually giving him a nerf would have been better. I dont buy your "bad supers" bullsheet.
- PaRappa's level 2 super got undeserved nerf. I mean FFS how long does Raidens last? PaRappa's should last just as long.
-Thank you for making Fat P's air minions less spammy and annoying. But level 3 lasts too little to be worth much.
- Sweeth Tooths level 2 is still worst, but atleast its bit better. Sweeth Tooth might have gotten but harsh on level 3 nerf. (Maybe it should last 14 secs instead of 13.5? :p)
-Radec is fine. As in, he got good deserving buff.
- Sly is better. Actually interruptable level 1 and more punishing counter if it misses. Good.
- Drake also got deserving nerfs. Good.
- Good Cole got a lot of buffs actually? He might be too good now. Maybe..
- Why didnt you remove Evil Coles level 1 Giga Punch kill confirm.... Evil Cole is cheap as long as that exist. Level 2 buff is better but.... Meh. Dat level 1 Giga Punch confirm REALLY needs to go.
- Minimalistic buffs for Ratchet. Yay?
- Jak did got more variety and MUCH better level 2. But you destroyed him by ruining his only good move, forward triangle. Way too big AP nerf. This like Sackboy's Jam again...
-Big Daddy got MUCH better level 1. Thank you!
-Dante? Eeeeh I dont main him so no idea, but generally people think that he is improved.
- I dont main Nariko but i heard she got ruined aswell. Lol
-STOP BUFFING RAIDEN. YOU GAVE HIM ANOTHER KILL CONFIRMish MOVE. WHY DIDNT YOU NERF HIS AP GAIN AND REMOVE MOST OF KILL CONFIRMS AND NERF HIS COUNTER?
- Sackboy nerfed AGAIN? Aaahahahahah its our own joke now. Sackboy will get nerfed by SSM in the future. You can count on it XP. But THANK YOU for secretly buffing his Jam to 20 AP. I dont care if its mistake as it visually shows that you only get 10 AP but its good. Honestly im HAPPY that you wont be around to screw him even more. >:/ Oh and his bounce pad, shock pad, cake and Jam glicth are still sth that are not good.
-Sir Daniel got minimalistic buff. Yay? No. He needed more. Basic 3 square combo ONLY giving 30 AP is a joke. Many more characters can get much more. If only you had make it 40-45 AP. Also allowing us to aim level 1 super horizontally would have helped. And increasing lenght of level 3 would have helped.
-Spike needs super buffs. I like idea of level 2 exploding on wall, but it should have been better. I also hoped for level 1 buff. I did hear that his level 1 air down triangle confirm is too hard now but honestly I dont care because that kill confirm was always weak. But fortunately his super deadly level 2 kill confirm still exists. Heh heh hee.
-LOL Toro nerf. I think you only did that because you nerfed Fat Ps air minions sideways dive also to be slow. So if one is slow, all are slow(Then why not increasing PaRappas level 2 super time? xs). There is also glitch in turning with his supers. You now waste ALL AP IF YOU TRY TO CHANGE IT LMAO. Its also hard to turn around effectivly. And if you have heard correctly, then yes most people would say that he is now garbage.
...Oh, but thanks for infinite ground sleep. Thats sth i like to spam. :p
-Kat only got bug fixes. She has too good AP gain. Because we cant really destroy her comboes best idea would have been nerfing her AP gain. Oh well.
-LOl Emmett buff. Meaningless. Try harder next time.

In conclusion? Bad...ish.
Its mix of good and bad things, but ultimately buffing Raiden was the deal breaker. You dont buff S-Tier characters. This was a bad patch update.

I would agree with you except I can't think of any buff that would possibly bring the likes of Sir Dan, Nariko, Radec, and Toro on the level of Kratos, Raiden, Sly, and the Coles. I'm all for giving low tiers some buffs but the top tiers definitely need to be toned down a bit as well.

Ok, ill try:

Sir Daniel
-3x normal square combo does 45 AP. 10-15-20. He is heavy class, this should be fine.
-Allow us to aim horizontally level 1 super. Like Sly's and Fat P's level 1. It wouldnt even be broken because it has so small range.
- Level 3 lasts 2 secs longer. To get that, you speed up level 3 intro animation to be 1 sec faster.
- Give his square moves super armor of 20 AP.

No Nariko because I dont play and know her :u

Radec
-Level 1 now has small range CRUMBLE MELEE attack. SO if it hit enemy he will be crumbled. OFC this mean you can fire instantly for a kill. This would make his level 1 A LOT BETTER IN 1v1. (Still bad in 1v1 thou :p)
-Increae lenght of down square, just to make sure he gets better melee usage.
- Up square to get better hit box. Aka you can use it in ground.
- Down square either stronger, faster or both.

Toro
-Oni's normal triangle charged food blast would be faster and has more range.
-Faster up triangle.
-Make Torobi ninja stars even faster and more spammable. Who cares if this is a dick move, generally Toro deserves a buff.
-Down square to get wider range. It barely works as it is now.
-.... Make Toro's dive kick faster by 9 frames. :p

Sir Dan's Level 1 would be awesome if it went fullscreen. Think of the awesome snipes you could get with that!

The only real buffs I want on Sir Dan are Super Armor on his Sqaure moves, more AP gain in general, and instant start-up on his arrow. It's bullcrap that Jak and Daxter and the Coles have instant-startup stun moves but the character who really needs it doesn't. It would also add an easy hit confirm, which alone would elevate him to mid-tier at least.

Sir Dan's Level 1 would be awesome if it went fullscreen. Think of the awesome snipes you could get with that!

The only real buffs I want on Sir Dan are Super Armor on his Sqaure moves, more AP gain in general, and instant start-up on his arrow. It's bullcrap that Jak and Daxter and the Coles have instant-startup stun moves but the character who really needs it doesn't. It would also add an easy hit confirm, which alone would elevate him to mid-tier at least.

Oh, thanks for reminding of another idea.

Alternativly, you could make it a single homing shot. So if someone escape from upsquare-uptriangle kill confirm it would home in on enemies like level 2 red orbs.

But now it would be blue lightning orb :p

Obviously it could also in theory home from other side of Paris to another.

Camjo-Z

Sir Daniel
-Allow us to aim horizontally level 1 super. Like Sly's and Fat P's level 1. It wouldnt even be broken because it has so small range.

The thing with stuff like this is it might sound good on paper but you have to consider how it would work in-game. There are numerous ways Dan could combo into that- air down square, green hand, axe, etc. - which would make him just as braindead easy and broken as Raiden.

The main problem, I think, is that Superbot just did not take much fan feedback into account when it came to balancing these characters, and actually made some blatantly stupid moves. For example:

As for Nariko, we had to do something after both 2v2 finalists at SCR2013 had Nariko on their teams, and the other two teams told us they were going to adopt Nariko as well. It’s absurd how safe her offense was and how easily she could convert any hit into an AP burst combo or a lvl1 super opportunity for her teammate.

This is a comment from Maj on his blog. Now, I'm certain that anyone who played PSAS back then or watched the SoCal matches is saying "wat" right now, and not just because Nariko was not even close to being broken. For starters, those SCR matches overall were pretty shameful and featured very poor play from characters that should have slapped Nariko silly, so basing any nerfs off of them was ludicrous. But the main problem is that he states that a problem with Nariko was the fact that she was able to convert any hit into an AP burst or Level 1 opportunity for a partner.

YET CHARACTERS LIKE KAT, KRATOS, RAIDEN, AND THE COLES HAVE THE EXACT SAME ABILITY.

And unlike Nariko, they can use these easy combos to confirm THEIR OWN supers and don't have to rely on Level 3 to get kills! But instead of taking them down a notch they get rid of Nariko's only Level 1 confirm so now she's even more reliant on her Level 3. :/

Some other gems:

If we nerfed Toro, we certainly nerfed the top tier characters more impactfully.

I don't even know what to say to this.

According to our telemetry, Kratos is way above the curve in terms of AP generation in FFA, but his actual win rate is only slightly above average because his kills/AP ratio is terrible.

I'm sure the fact that he's the easiest to play character and therefore most used by new and unskilled players has nothing to do with that.

The thing with stuff like this is it might sound good on paper but you have to consider how it would work in-game. There are numerous ways Dan could combo into that- air down square, green hand, axe, etc. - which would make him just as braindead easy and broken as Raiden.

Well, you did say you wanted to see Sir Dan to be on level with Kratos, Kat and Raiden :p
Green Hand confirm wouldnt be that bad, because its easy to jump over that. If you complain about that, then you might aswell complain about counter kill confirms.

As for Toro's nerf I blame Fat P.
Why?
Fat P's minion dive attack was so spammy and kill confirm it was ridicioulus. So naturally it should be nerfed.
But oh no wait! This game should be balanced!
Thats why Big Daddy and Toro got the same nerf for their dive attacks aswell.
For Big Daddy this is slightly annoying.
For Toro it literally made him trash?

Why was Fat P even in this game at aaaaaall :S

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaw sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. I just realized...

If they based Kratos on general aspect of noobs missing supers making his kill ratio bad it explains why Sir Dan and Jak never got their buffs!

Only few elite players use them.

So naturally their AP gain and kill ratio are high.

Oh my god I hope this isnt case.

SSReborn

If I can speak on Jak mainly because I play as him I think reading the patch it seemed as if he was gonna get a substantial buff but in reality I think it was more of a nerf.

Jak as a character feels very weak now. It feels like he has been forced more to stay on the ground while his ground game hasn't gotten much better. He feels like a character in limbo, he doesn't know if he wants to be fast (movement) or slow (start-up and recovery times); a power character with little combo ability or a weaker character with a lot of comboing abilities.

I really dislike the change to his forward triangle blaster it is very weak now I don't think the trade offs were worth it, and also his forward circle. The new arc on the forward circle attack makes it so none of the old combos with him work and there is seemingly nothing that I can follow up with it.

I do like how it kind of forces me to play differently though. It makes the down triangle more useful. I can't just throw out raw forward squares on the ground anymore I have to kind of combo it with a down triangle or mix it up more. I find I use the neutral triangle more.

Supers definitely got better.

SmithnCo

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaw sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. I just realized...

If they based Kratos on general aspect of noobs missing supers making his kill ratio bad it explains why Sir Dan and Jak never got their buffs!

Haha, that would be... unfortunate. And might explain Nariko as well.

Not great. Mostly because Kratos is still OP as hell. Kat, Zeus, Good Cole & Raiden are still a bit too good as well, while characters like Jak (while getting a lvl 2 buff & forward circle AP increase was good) got nerfed in the worst possible way. His forward triangle was his best move and making it from a 10+10+10+Knockback to a 6+6+6+ect. with no knockback was a really bad idea.

Now he has no way to get people away from him even though he is a mid to long-range type character. I can't say too much about the other characters because I exclusively played as Jak, but since this last patch, I have resorted to not playing until some of these balances get re-balanced. Because as much as I don't want to like the game, everytime I delete it from my Vita, a week later I find myself reinstalling it to play online some more.

tl;dr version 5/10 Left a lot to be desired.

Also, just to show that there are no hard feelings to PSASBR-GAF, I'll give the pre-order bonus costumes (for vita) to the first person who quotes this.

beat

According to our telemetry, Kratos is way above the curve in terms of AP generation in FFA, but his actual win rate is only slightly above average because his kills/AP ratio is terrible.
I'm sure the fact that he's the easiest to play character and therefore most used by new and unskilled players has nothing to do with that.

I worked at Superbot.
I don't know all the details, but the telemetry (like AP gain, kill count, etc) also included skill level (I forget how this was calculated, but probably based on ranked match results?), so Superbot could see if a character had high AP gain with low skill players, high kill ratio only with high skill players, etc. Balancing was never about taking the entire population's results and saying "Kratos misses his supers too often" if it was only new players and low skill players who were actually missing.

I worked at Superbot.
I don't know all the details, but the telemetry (like AP gain, kill count, etc) also included skill level (I forget how this was calculated, but probably based on ranked match results?), so Superbot could see if a character had high AP gain with low skill players, high kill ratio only with high skill players, etc. Balancing was never about taking the entire population's results and saying "Kratos misses his supers too often" if it was only new players and low skill players who were actually missing.

Remember, this is the same developer that nerfed Nariko because of some guys at 2v2 tournament and forced us to redownload patches all over again instead of just increasing it(and its getting REALLY painful as its now 1100 MB large).

Also remember how they could change character moves and AP gain instantly? LOL
(No seriously, they said they could easily patch characters without patches...)

So if yeah, I dont buy that character system at all.
Even if that spoiler is true.

OwlyKnees

Not great. Mostly because Kratos is still OP as hell. Kat, Zeus, Good Cole & Raiden are still a bit too good as well, while characters like Jak (while getting a lvl 2 buff & forward circle AP increase was good) got nerfed in the worst possible way. His forward triangle was his best move and making it from a 10+10+10+Knockback to a 6+6+6+ect. with no knockback was a really bad idea.

Now he has no way to get people away from him even though he is a mid to long-range type character. I can't say too much about the other characters because I exclusively played as Jak, but since this last patch, I have resorted to not playing until some of these balances get re-balanced. Because as much as I don't want to like the game, everytime I delete it from my Vita, a week later I find myself reinstalling it to play online some more.

tl;dr version 5/10 Left a lot to be desired.

Also, just to show that there are no hard feelings to PSASBR-GAF, I'll give the pre-order bonus costumes (for vita) to the first person who quotes this.

Pretty please? I'd love that Spacesuit for Parappa!

Remember, this is the same developer that nerfed Nariko because of some guys at 2v2 tournament and forced us to redownload patches all over again instead of just increasing it(and its getting REALLY painful as its now 1100 MB large).

Quite a few Vita games seem to do this (LittleBigPlanet Vita comes to mind most prominently). I'm not sure if it's purely Vita related, or if it is just for the convenience of new players not having to download multiple patches.

But yes, it sucks for us.

Top Bottom