• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

Quite a few Vita games seem to do this (LittleBigPlanet Vita comes to mind most prominently). I'm not sure if it's purely Vita related, or if it is just for the convenience of new players not having to download multiple patches.

But yes, it sucks for us.

....Pardon?

Ummmm even if they had to download multiple patches, problem wouldnt be any different from us. They have to download 1100MB, just in parts. We have to do the same aswell.

OwlyKnees

....Pardon?

Ummmm even if they had to download multiple patches, problem wouldnt be any different from us. They have to download 1100MB, just in parts. We have to do the same aswell.

That's my point.

Developers from Superbot, Media Molecule and others have said that it is for the convenience of new players. They have to download the same amount, but clearly there must be some sort of patch-limit or something with the PS3 / Vita that would make it more difficult for newcomers to download 8+ separate patches rather than the one big patch we have now when they put in the disc. I'm sure they aren't all doing it to be dicks and then lying about it.

Camjo-Z

I worked at Superbot.
I don't know all the details, but the telemetry (like AP gain, kill count, etc) also included skill level (I forget how this was calculated, but probably based on ranked match results?), so Superbot could see if a character had high AP gain with low skill players, high kill ratio only with high skill players, etc. Balancing was never about taking the entire population's results and saying "Kratos misses his supers too often" if it was only new players and low skill players who were actually missing.

Interesting, but this raises more questions than answers. Didn't anyone at Superbot question how Kratos apparently doesn't win that many matches, yet was (and still is) considered to be top tier by the majority of the PSAS community since the very first beta?

What's the story with Nariko? I've been baffled as to why she was nerfed.

From what I could tell it would seem that she was nerfed due to other players' incompetence her being overpowered at the PSAS SoCal tournament.

SmithnCo

From what I could tell it would seem that she was nerfed due to other players' incompetence her being overpowered at the PSAS SoCal tournament.

Man, that would suck if so. Her combos are really fun, but her first two supers are borderline useless in a competitive situation. So them actually nerfing her 3 and further limiting her combo ability was fairly baffling. I don't care about level 2 buffs because her 2 still is, and probably always will be awful. Just one of the weird things about this patch.

beat

Interesting, but this raises more questions than answers. Didn't anyone at Superbot question how Kratos apparently doesn't win that many matches, yet was (and still is) considered to be top tier by the majority of the PSAS community since the very first beta?
If I remember right, our theories included:
  • he just feels powerful. Really good work on the animation, VFX, SFX, etc.
  • Early on, a couple of things were a bit unbalanced about him. I've long forgotten the details. (I genuinely admire Maj and the other longtime fighting game people there for how much detail they see and think about, BTW.)
  • Kratos genuinely is easy to use for newbies. A couple of moves (forward+triangle / neutral square combo) are have high reward-to-(risk+execution difficulty) ratios. I think I remember that the telemetry found he was the most successful character for new and/or low-skill players.
As to why the [medium to high skill] PSAS community thinks he's high-tier: I honestly don't know.

ZodR_ARG

Neo Member
I'll tell you guys why you feel Kratos is OP,
because
* he I'd the character with the most 30 AP giving moves
* more than half of his moveset is safe as hell
* every time he hits you you'll get ejected lol (either by the attack itself or because the infinite prevention system)
* he has the best counter in the game right next to Raiden

now why you guys think kat good Cole are OP I don't know...
Cole is so unsafe and has only half a move that gives you 30 AP, Kat's hurt boxes are so small that you can use your own attack to trade, and sometimes it won't even trade, you'll just knock her out of her attack

of course most of you don't see many Kratos winning matches, only few high level payers like playing as Kratos
but those go do... damn

Camjo-Z

As to why the [medium to high skill] PSAS community thinks he's high-tier: I honestly don't know.

* more than half of his moveset is safe as hell
* every time he hits you you'll get ejected lol (either by the attack itself or because the infinite prevention system)
* he has the best counter in the game right next to Raiden

^Pretty sums up what I would have said. His range, speed, and AP gain are ridiculous considering how easily he can combo you, plus he's got some easy hit confirms for his supers like the Helios head for Level 1 and his counter and up square for Level 2. Kratos really doesn't have any weaknesses.

now why you guys think kat good Cole are OP I don't know...
Cole is so unsafe and has only half a move that gives you 30 AP, Kat's hurt boxes are so small that you can use your own attack to trade, and sometimes it won't even trade, you'll just knock her out of her attack

Having moves that give you 30 AP isn't what makes characters broken, otherwise Radec's spammable sniper would be a gamebreaker. In general the OP characters are all distinguished by their Level 1's being either better than or equal to their other supers (with the exception of Kratos, whose massive AP gain makes that unnecessary). Both Kat and Cole can confirm their Level 1's with little trouble (especially Cole who for some asinine reason can randomly get a hit confirm off of his neutral square combo.)

ZodR_ARG

Neo Member
^Pretty sums up what I would have said. His range, speed, and AP gain are ridiculous considering how easily he can combo you, plus he's got some easy hit confirms for his supers like the Helios head for Level 1 and his counter and up square for Level 2. Kratos really doesn't have any weaknesses.

Having moves that give you 30 AP isn't what makes characters broken, otherwise Radec's spammable sniper would be a gamebreaker. In general the OP characters are all distinguished by their Level 1's being either better than or equal to their other supers (with the exception of Kratos, whose massive AP gain makes that unnecessary). Both Kat and Cole can confirm their Level 1's with little trouble (especially Cole who for some asinine reason can randomly get a hit confirm off of his neutral square combo.)

So you think good Cole is OP for the random 3rd hit on square-square-square??
then what about Raiden, evil Cole, etc, who can confirm their lvl1 far easier and don't depend on luck? lol

I think 30 AP moves are important, not only because if don't have AP you dont have supers(lol), but because you can just spam as many 30 AP moves you have depending on the situation (that's why Radec is not game breaking) and get solid AP and the more 30 AP moves you have the shorter are your burst combos, and in this game TIME is very important, the shorter your combos are the faster you'll get your supers and the more supers you can use.

Camjo-Z

So you think good Cole is OP for the random 3rd hit on square-square-square??
then what about Raiden, evil Cole, etc, who can confirm their lvl1 far easier and don't depend on luck? lol

I think 30 AP moves are important, not only because if don't have AP you dont have supers(lol), but because you can just spam as many 30 AP moves you have depending on the situation (that's why Radec is not game breaking) and get solid AP and the more 30 AP moves you have the shorter are your burst combos, and in this game TIME is very important, the shorter your combos are the faster you'll get your supers and the more supers you can use.

Never said Cole is OP because of the random 3rd hit, I said that he's OP because he has easy ways to confirm into Level 1 (I don't play him that much but I know there are multiple ways to work the freeze move into a combo) and his lucky square combo only accentuates that. And yes, Raiden and Evil Cole are better than Cole because they have even better confirms... I don't think I ever said Cole was better than either of them, actually.

And 30 AP moves really don't matter when it comes down to it, even when considering time. Another excerpt from Maj's blog:

The general rule for standalone attacks is that twitch reactions generate 5 AP; light reactions generate 10 AP; stagger, crumple, launch, and flatten reactions generate 20 AP; eject reactions generate 30 AP; and miscellaneous status effects such as shock, stun, antigrav, etc. generate 5 AP.

When your 30 AP moves are constantly ejecting opponents, you have to keep running over to them to keep getting AP. This tends to take up more time than combos when you're on larger stages, and even someone like Kratos generally won't rely on those kinds of moves as his main AP builders. When you combo an opponent into the air, you're usually able to get around 130-145 AP in half the time it would take using only 30 AP moves. They still have their uses, but it's almost always a better idea to go for a combo opportunity if you have the choice.

Huh. Interesting developments in here. Wish I could provide some feedback, but my PS3 died a horrible death.

I will be back, soon, All Stars GAF! How have Zeus and Isaac been?

Huh. Interesting developments in here. Wish I could provide some feedback, but my PS3 died a horrible death.

I will be back, soon, All Stars GAF! How have Zeus and Isaac been?

Isaac's pretty cool, but I haven't bought Zeus yet because I hear he's a bit boring and cheesy.

Isaac probably has the best taunt and losing animation in the game, at least.

ZodR_ARG

Neo Member
Never said Cole is OP because of the random 3rd hit, I said that he's OP because he has easy ways to confirm into Level 1 (I don't play him that much but I know there are multiple ways to work the freeze move into a combo) and his lucky square combo only accentuates that. And yes, Raiden and Evil Cole are better than Cole because they have even better confirms... I don't think I ever said Cole was better than either of them, actually.

And 30 AP moves really don't matter when it comes down to it, even when considering time. Another excerpt from Maj's blog:

When your 30 AP moves are constantly ejecting opponents, you have to keep running over to them to keep getting AP. This tends to take up more time than combos when you're on larger stages, and even someone like Kratos generally won't rely on those kinds of moves as his main AP builders. When you combo an opponent into the air, you're usually able to get around 130-145 AP in half the time it would take using only 30 AP moves. They still have their uses, but it's almost always a better idea to go for a combo opportunity if you have the choice.

I know you didn't say that, but if Good Cole is OP for that, Raiden and Evil Cole are God Tier then.
I know I said "spam", the term should have been "use" lol
Like, if you are Radec or Evil Cole and the opponent is above you, you don't have any 30 move to use, Kratos has like 3 lol.
30 AP moves make your combos shorter, compare a Dante burst combo with a Kratos burst combo. Is not only shorter, is easier.
And sorry if anything I wrote before came out as offensive, English is not my native language, lol.

The one sole weakness that Kratos apparently should have is that his supers are terrible.

Why arent they?

They are decent at worst but hell no are they bad. I dont get where that comes from.

But really, its his moveset thats just too good. We have all mentioned those fast easy to combo square moves right. Not to mention triangle moves that are strong as fak(there even used to be glitch where normal triangle gave 40 AP!). Kratos can dominate the game when used right.

Enemy is actually good and strong? Forward square him away!
But oh wait you need to build your AP aswell? Well be Sweeth Tooth and use air normal triangle to lock enemy on ground. And with Kratos' speed he can spam it faster than Sweeth Tooth ever could.

And since his supers are decent.....
WHAT IS KRATOS' WEAKNESS??!!?!?!?

SmithnCo

And thats why Kratos is OP/S-Tier/Broken.

Say, how different was Sly in original beta?
I know that level 1 was insane, barrel and counter were in switched, level 2 fired single fast bomb and Taunt was super spammed and different.

Sly in the beta had the most broken level 1 ever. It came out fast, was uninterruptable, and had pretty large splash damage. Like the current version but much worse, every match was nonstop "GLAD I COULD HELP." Him and pre-patch Sackboy were probably the most blatantly OP characters for their time. Eventually they got them to reasonable levels, so I don't know why they don't pay Kratos the same kind of attention, him being a good player for newbies really isn't a good excuse.

Sly in the beta had the most broken level 1 ever. It came out fast, was uninterruptable, and had pretty large splash damage. Like the current version but much worse, every match was nonstop "GLAD I COULD HELP." Him and pre-patch Sackboy were probably the most blatantly OP characters for their time. Eventually they got them to reasonable levels, so I don't know why they don't pay Kratos the same kind of attention, him being a good player for newbies really isn't a good excuse.

I have seen footage of it.

Interestingly it was like Fat P's. If Murray didnt hit anyone he would fall(like he does now). But if he hit someone he would stay stood up.

I have also seen its range. LMAO. It was probably bigger than Sweeth Tooths and Evil Coles level 2.

I have seen footage of it.

Interestingly it was like Fat P's. If Murray didnt hit anyone he would fall(like he does now). But if he hit someone he would stay stood up.

I have also seen its range. LMAO. It was probably bigger than Sweeth Tooths and Evil Coles level 2.

His lvl 2 also lasted longer, lvl 3 glitched the whole game and side triangle gave him wayyy too much AP.

Camjo-Z

Not a lot of people remember it but PaRappa was also a little OP in the beta, since he was able to use his neutral circle as a hit confirm for his Level 1. Luckily he didn't have his BnB microphone combo that everyone uses these days or else he would have been god tier.

Not a lot of people remember it but PaRappa was also a little OP in the beta, since he was able to use his neutral circle as a hit confirm for his Level 1. Luckily he didn't have his BnB microphone combo that everyone uses these days or else he would have been god tier.

I actually think it worked only on PS3/PSV (don't remember) so that made it even more silly.

I don't even know how that is possible iirc.

Camjo-Z

I actually think it worked only on PS3/PSV (don't remember) so that made it even more silly.

I don't even know how that is possible iirc.

I'm talking about the original HK beta. It differed from the other betas in that instead of hearing GLAD I COULD HELP nonstop you got to hear HAPPY TO HELP, as well as the obnoxious "you are no challenge and no fun" taunt.

This also reminds me, I noticed that some of PaRappa's intros/winposes are really weird now because they took out his dialogue. If you look at the Here's Boxy intro you notice he should be clearly saying "Time to jam!" but they only use it for his actual Time To Jam intro, in I'm The Man he would say "Sunny Funny!" or "I believed!" or "I'm the man!", and in I Belived I think he said "Put your hands up for me!". He doesn't say these things anymore though which just leaves him moving his mouth but saying nothing and just looking generally awkward. I wonder why they took the lines out? He also has a line for "A groovy beat to accompany his moonwalk!" but I have no idea where they intended to use that.

I'm talking about the original HK beta. It differed from the other betas in that instead of hearing GLAD I COULD HELP nonstop you got to hear HAPPY TO HELP, as well as the obnoxious "you are no challenge and no fun" taunt.

This also reminds me, I noticed that some of PaRappa's intros/winposes are really weird now because they took out his dialogue. If you look at the Here's Boxy intro you notice he should be clearly saying "Time to jam!" but they only use it for his actual Time To Jam intro, in I'm The Man he would say "Sunny Funny!" or "I believed!" or "I'm the man!", and in I Belived I think he said "Put your hands up for me!". He doesn't say these things anymore though which just leaves him moving his mouth but saying nothing and just looking generally awkward. I wonder why they took the lines out? He also has a line for "A groovy beat to accompany his moonwalk!" but I have no idea where they intended to use that.

Eeeh they changed Sly's lines aswell. Probably more. Maybe to make them less annoying? No idea.

" A groovy beat to accompany his moonwalk"? Sounds kinda like item pick up dialogue. You know, item to accompany PaRappa?

SmithnCo

I miss "you are no challenge and no fun." That was at least funny for spamming while invisible. The Parappa lines thing is weird too, I think he used to say "I'm a chicken from the kitchen" too, but I have only heard some of these lines from the beta. Seems like a waste if they just took them out.

ZodR_ARG

Neo Member
I miss "you are no challenge and no fun." That was at least funny for spamming while invisible. The Parappa lines thing is weird too, I think he used to say "I'm a chicken from the kitchen" too, but I have only heard some of these lines from the beta. Seems like a waste if they just took them out.

"I am a chicken, from the kitchen, and I ain't kidding, although nothing is written."
yea!

Aceun

I just remember Sly being beyond god tier. Unstoppable level 1 (which still wasnt really fixed til recently), machine gun level 2, and game breaking level 3.

And that taunt. I don't miss any of it, but I miss that taunt.

whitehawk

Banned
The one sole weakness that Kratos apparently should have is that his supers are terrible.

Why arent they?

They are decent at worst but hell no are they bad. I dont get where that comes from.

But really, its his moveset thats just too good. We have all mentioned those fast easy to combo square moves right. Not to mention triangle moves that are strong as fak(there even used to be glitch where normal triangle gave 40 AP!). Kratos can dominate the game when used right.

Enemy is actually good and strong? Forward square him away!
But oh wait you need to build your AP aswell? Well be Sweeth Tooth and use air normal triangle to lock enemy on ground. And with Kratos' speed he can spam it faster than Sweeth Tooth ever could.

And since his supers are decent.....
WHAT IS KRATOS' WEAKNESS??!!?!?!?
If you're playing against players who know what they are doing, Kratos' level 3 is really easy to dodge. Especially his long range attack. Sometimes I can get 6 kills, sometimes I only get 2.

If you're playing against players who know what they are doing, Kratos' level 3 is really easy to dodge. Especially his long range attack. Sometimes I can get 6 kills, sometimes I only get 2.

I can dodge air blasts no problem. But in FFA there are also 2 other targets for him. 4 kills is quite improvement for score isnt it?

Also his lv3 square attacks in close are deadly to dodge. That usually gets me.

whitehawk

Banned
I still can't believe they haven't fixed the player dropping problem. If a player drops out of the game from either choice or lag, they need to be replaced by AI immediately. (At least in timed matches). What always happens is there will be one person with 1 red bar who doesn't move. Someone uses a level 3 and kills all 3 of us. Then the next person to use a level 3 only gets 2 kills instead of 3. Completely un-balanced.

I was just in a game where I was 2 points ahead of someone in a 3-way match. One player stopped moving and had a red bar. I knew if my enemy killed this person it would be a tie, but there wasn't much I could do. They got a free kill, tied it up and won.

SmithnCo

I still can't believe they haven't fixed the player dropping problem. If a player drops out of the game from either choice or lag, they need to be replaced by AI immediately. (At least in timed matches). What always happens is there will be one person with 1 red bar who doesn't move. Someone uses a level 3 and kills all 3 of us. Then the next person to use a level 3 only gets 2 kills instead of 3. Completely un-balanced.

I was just in a game where I was 2 points ahead of someone in a 3-way match. One player stopped moving and had a red bar. I knew if my enemy killed this person it would be a tie, but there wasn't much I could do. They got a free kill, tied it up and won.

That irks me too. Would be so much better if they disappeared immediately and didn't give someone a free kill. I guess it's a technical issue with how they handle drops. It's sad when this happens in 2v2 because the other team gets a kill while the other guy is totally screwed.

whitehawk

Banned
That irks me too. Would be so much better if they disappeared immediately and didn't give someone a free kill. I guess it's a technical issue with how they handle drops. It's sad when this happens in 2v2 because the other team gets a kill while the other guy is totally screwed.
Dropping them wouldn't fix anything. Someone could still get a level 3 before that guy is dropped. There needs to be an AI player so other peoples supers are balanced.

SmithnCo

Dropping them wouldn't fix anything. Someone could still get a level 3 before that guy is dropped. There needs to be an AI player so other peoples supers are balanced.

Yeah, that's a good point. Though I could see a problem with people ganging up on the AI for the rest of the match, because even the highest AI is pretty exploitable. If they could smoothly transition into them being AI controlled, that wouldn't be a problem though. Still would be better than what they do now.

Sadly I don't see them going back and tuning some of it up, we've just got the generic "we're supporting the game" response. I mostly just want random 1v1.

Gorillaz

Off topic but

when it comes to themes of stages, Graveyard is probably one of the best remixes they made so far.

It's sooo fucking smooth how it moves from the haunting sound to an electronic type beat

Skyzard

Banned
I wonder what clockw0rk's thoughts on the patch were. :)...unless I'm confusing him for another clockwork?

I say that whenever there is a long ass conversation and I change the subject, Even if said conversation is a few hours old

Very considerate.

No new word on any updates I take it? Costumes next week maybe? Perhaps a fully fledged adventure mode for each character maybe? :p

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Hows the community online going? I haven't played in quite a while now. Had been borderline callin it quits for a while, but the last "big patch" really did me in with the game.

OwlyKnees

Hows the community online going? I haven't played in quite a while now. Had been borderline callin it quits for a while, but the last "big patch" really did me in with the game.

The community, and the game, are literally static. I'm still playing as the core gameplay itself is fun, but nothing is occurring. No interesting new discoveries, no exciting new techniques or players. Still running into the same core players, with the same tired shit.

Yet I can't put the fucking thing down.

Top Bottom