• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

sephi22

Some of these combat trials are damn stupid. I feel like the dev team kept the same generic ones for everyone without testing.

Radec's #4 move list trial is one such trial. Youve got 6 minutes to connect with all his moves. Problem is many of his moves are about space control and become active at oodd angles. Its frustrating trying to hit 2 stupid AI melee characters that keep trying to bumrush you.

Another one is the heihachi one where you can build AP only by using circle moves and throws. Problem is they block all square and triangle inputs. Since circle is his stance button, you cant cancel those stannces into twin pistons or demon uppercut. Throws build no meter, so all you're limited to is mash his counter (circle) and build meter little by little.

Terrible

DjRoomba

Banned
So I played the beta and did not have fun at all. Just watched giant bomb quick look and final game looks just as shit and single player looks lol.. Didnt look like a lot of effort was put into this game imo

vg260

Do you get the Vita crossbuy when buying the PS3 version digitally? With all the trouble lately PSN voucher codes and licenses have had, I'm a bit leery. I'd like to download the PS3 version directly, but want that free Vita copy.

Yes. It worked for me, but I didn't get the pre-order outfits. (just the PS3, Vita, and online pass).

DrDogg

Is there a high level site for this game? I checked Smash Boards but no sign of it there. Looking for some advanced tactics and match vids.

Anyone know if the pre-order costumes can be shared between PSN accounts, with Sony's two-account sharing deal? Like, if I redeem the code and download the costumes, can I share them with one other friend like I could a PSN game?

I wish they'd really add more variety to arcade. I get that its barebones, but why not have given us some Stock?

I also dont understand why, on hardest difficulty, the enemies are still on lower difficulty settings.

Lots of people seem to enjoy stock mode, dont know why that and 1v1 arent officially ranked modes.

I like the combat trials, I hope DLC makes them more creative.

I'm really disappointed with the lack of a local player signing into their OWN account. This really should have never been the case. I really hope this gets patched along with 1v1.

One thing that is more apparent here is the zoom out. Sometimes it's hard to see, which can get annoying, but nothing you cant get used to.

Does anyone know how quits work? I am under the impression people were kind enough to stay when they were eliminated, but I played a 2v2 timed where someone didn't spawn back. The game kept going, I assume he wasn't host. But I wonder if there is host migration?

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the alt costumes, Seriously it is pure fan service. The unlockables are just so much fun. This is easy LBP-styled revenue. I'd pay for more

Game feels like a half finished title though the part they finished was probably the right choice. Only played for 2 hours now but once you are in game its pretty good. Just wish the menus and single player stuff was better. The style of the menus is pretty horrid. The presentation outside of gameplay is just so sterile and boring.

Yea, the sequel will be amazing. I hope they do one... they have all the mechanics and server stability there. Just need to go through and give it some love in all the other departments.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Thought the beta was bland, but after watching the Quick Look I decided to buy it anyways...and it's actually quite a bit of fun. Really like the Vita version too.

One thing is that the Vita version cross save seems to be slightly behind my PS3 save in terms of progress, which is weird. Other than that, much better than expected all around.

Just watched the Giant Bomb Quick Look of the release copy. They do too much "oh well its like Smash Bros" and "oh it's not like Smash Bros". Just judge the game as its own game. Also, I am sick and tired of hearing Patrick Klepik use the term "case-use".

Lmao, Heihachi alts are freaking funny, so are his intros. Man, I love the little surprises like that. WHERE IS THE REMATCH OPTION. I really want to do rematches.

I'm so pissed off right now. All the glitches that were in the beta are STILL present here. Just got three matches in a row where it gave me a character I didn't choose. Pre-match said it was Sir Dan, then it started as another character.

This is so irritating.

I'm so pissed off right now. All the glitches that were in the beta are STILL present here. Just got three matches in a row where it gave me a character I didn't choose. Pre-match said it was Sir Dan, then it started as another character.

This is so irritating.

I've had no issues so far, but i've only played roughly 30 matches.

Tiu Neo

This is so irritating.

This happened for me too. I choose Sir Dan, game makes me play as Ratchet.

The good thing is that I discovered I don't suck thaaat much using Ratchet.

AAK

So I played the game for about an hour and half.

The overall game engine has a solid foundation.... but just as I feared the lack of a health bar makes the game stripped of an important element of depth. I guess it's still early for me to judge but I am missing that feature really badly so far.

All in all it's pretty enjoyable. Why is there no use for the L2 button? They could have fitted a brand new mechanism in there. And yes, the credits are insanely long... It's not like they have the biggest development team ever, but the large font and spacing make it go on and on forever. I suppose it was just an excuse to have like every song in the soundtrack play during it.

Noi

This is so irritating.

That and the "don't respawn when killed" bug happened to me on my first ranked match. It was kind of irritating.

Edit: And now it did it to me twice in a row, once with Sir Dan > Raiden and Sir Dan > Parappa. Sigh.

The overall game engine has a solid foundation.... but just as I feared the lack of a health bar makes the game stripped of an important element of depth. I guess it's still early for me to judge but I am missing that feature really badly so far.

All in all it's pretty enjoyable. Why is there no use for the L2 button? They could have fitted a brand new mechanism in there. And yes, the credits are insanely long... It's not like they have the biggest development team ever, but the large font and spacing make it go on and on forever. I suppose it was just an excuse to have like every song in the soundtrack play during it.

L2 is taunt :3

You can skip it ya know? o_O

That and the "don't respawn when killed" bug happened to me on my first ranked match. It was kind of irritating.

Edit: And now it did it to me twice in a row, once with Sir Dan > Raiden and Sir Dan > Parappa. Sigh.
lol I like how it's happened to the three of us when we choose Sir Dan.

But I've also encountered that, the invisible enemies, 3-player match with invisible fourth player, random teleporting, and more.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Casual Smash Fan Opinion:

I disliked the Beta, because it was wild and chaotic being thrown into a FFA match after a basic non-character specific tutorial, but I gave in and bought this game...as well as the Prima Strategy Guide! Good thing too since the game lacks a manual...not even a new-style flip-out with the basic controls. What the fuck?

I played through Arcade with Spike, possibly the only character I have any familiarity with...and had A LOT of fun. Seriously. And I won every match with little issue, and picked up the controls for Spike extremely quick. The only major issue for me was that during the Polygon Fight at the end, it really dragged on. Not looking forward to doing that with every character. I like the little movies and rivalries though in Arcade, give the game a bit of an extra sense of charm.

I skipped the Credits. I wish they had unique Credits like Smash does, with the character's theme playing over each, and possibly some form of interaction would be cool.

Speaking of charm, while I've played a LOT of Playstation 1 and 2 in my life, I've barely touched any of the games represented here. I've played all the Ape Escapes (well, the main three), MediEvil once or twice when I was young, and a bit of Jak/Ratchet/Sly as well. But even though there's no nostalgia like there is for Smash for me, I find the game pretty charming. In particular, the little introductions to the stages are really neat, and something I hope Smash reverse-copies (yes, I'll admit, when I play this game I constantly compare and contrast it to Smash and what things work in one game), and the character models are brimming with personality.

The biggest downside in my opinion is how...generic it feels sometimes. The Main Theme is kind of bland, the menus are plain and with boring text, and there's just some plain "Character Profiles", and no in-depth database like Smash had. That's the main thing the next Playstation All-Stars needs to work on, the overall presentation.

Vysetron

Neo Member

But I've also encountered that, the invisible enemies, 3-player match with invisible fourth player, random teleporting, and more.

Funny story, the one time I've had this bug happen it was with Dan. Got Parappa instead though, so everything was fine.

Just watched the Giant Bomb Quick Look of the release copy. They do too much "oh well its like Smash Bros" and "oh it's not like Smash Bros". Just judge the game as its own game. Also, I am sick and tired of hearing Patrick Klepik use the term "case-use".

Yea that quick-look is kind of annoying. They really want to not like it, espcially Patrick. And people really got to stop going off on the roster because Big Daddy is in it... they talk like every character is a 3rd party character. Big Daddy is the only one that doesn't really fit... and we got it, Sony doesn't have a Mario. Because they don't reuse the same characters every generation constantly...

Also, they go and rip on two Coles. When there is so many duplicates in Smash Bros... people are so not consistent with comparisons.

Drencrom

Funny story, the one time I've had this bug happen it was with Dan. Got Parappa instead though, so everything was fine.

Ok there's definitely something weird with picking Sir Dan online.

Superbot, get your ass to work!

And while you're at it, add some matchmaking for 2v2 and 1v1.
also an option to turn off the stage mash-ups and the announcer spouting "level 1/2/3" all the time :)

DjRoomba

Banned

I don't see why you have to judge the game separately from smash bros. it obviously the same type of game so comparisons have to be made. Don't know why so many here are so quick to defend it. I'm a Sony fan, but I can see this is not a perfect product

For anyone who has been playing online today, who are the more popular characters picked now that Kratos and Radec aren't the only cast members anymore.

Kurod

Banned
Yea that quick-look is kind of annoying. They really want to not like it, espcially Patrick. And people really got to stop going off on the roster because Big Daddy is in it... they talk like every character is a 3rd party character. Big Daddy is the only one that doesn't really fit... and we got it, Sony doesn't have a Mario. Because they don't reuse the same characters every generation constantly...

We need more iconic characters like tech demo T-rex instead of Killzone guy.

Loudninja

I don't see why you have to judge the game separately from smash bros. it obviously the same type of game so comparisons have to be made. Don't know why so many here are so quick to defend it. I'm a Sony fan, but I can see this is not a perfect product
Because at this point its annoying as hell.

Some reviews already judge it in comparison Smash Bros instead of its on merits.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm definitely interested in playing the game at some point, but holy crap the UI is incredibly ugly. I get that they're trying to go for a Playstation flavor, but man...

For the record, I'm not a huge fan of the Smash Bros UI either, but the UI in PS All Stars seems a lot uglier.

it's a small thing, though. I'm sure I won't notice it after playing for a while.

Top Bottom