• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

Grisby

HHhhmmm. Well, I think I got screwed out of the preorder costume code. I think the GS dude might have given me the PS3 one if that's possible (as I can DL on my ps3 but not my vita, can't send it over to the vita either as it just installs).

I'm gonna go back up there later but I hate getting screwed for buying the retail copy.

HHhhmmm. Well, I think I got screwed out of the preorder costume code. I think the GS dude might have given me the PS3 one if that's possible (as I can DL on my ps3 but not my vita, can't send it over to the vita either as it just installs).

I'm gonna go back up there later but I hate getting screwed for buying the retail copy.

Really they should just make the costumes available for everyone next patch. It is missed up everywhere. Even the digital preordered version requires a workaround.

Mr. Fix

I must be doing something wrong with Jak. He just seems so shafted in comparison to the others. That horrid level 1 and 2. Especially when it's 1 on 1. Anyone figure anything out with him?

I must be doing something wrong with Jak. He just seems so shafted in comparison to the others. That horrid level 1 and 2. Especially when it's 1 on 1. Anyone figure anything out with him?

Antigravity gun into Level 1 should work fine in some situations (his Level 1 is supposed to be mostly anti-air, I think), and his Level 2 is great against crowds since the shockwave is so big. He mostly just a positioning-reliant character, to be honest.

impact

Banned
Spacing and positioning. Jak can't mash all day like the scrubby Raiden/Dante/Kratos. I do agree with his supers being shit though, he got so fucked over on level 1.

JoshHood

Seems really odd that the game is Cross-Save but the trophies don't sync. That is a first, right? I think even MGS HD synced trophies (or at least some).

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I've been really enjoying playing through the different characters, and their arcade mode.

The only things I'd like them to add to Arcade mode when it comes to progression:

Keep the opening and closing drawn cutscenes. I really like them, and think they're cool looking.

The opening cutscenes for the rivalries have been a lot of fun as well. I'd like to see an ending cutscene to the rivalry, after you defeat them. Some final trash talking or something.

Some kind of set up for Polygon Man. I don't like that the battle just starts, with no set up cutscene. A cool intro, where he talks about his motives, and why you are sucked into the world by him.

An ending to the Polygon Man fight, much like with the Rival cutscene. Just something to close that out, then it can segue into the character specific endings.

I'd also like to see a sense of progression between fights. Something like a "world map" that displays each of the matches you will be participating in, and what kind of match they are. Maybe even an indicator of the expected difficulty level of the fight (1 star, 2 star, or 3 stars). I don't like that you just immediately jump to the loading screen of the next fight.

Mini-games. Some kind of fun diversion between some of the matches, like Street Fighter's destroy the car, but something more "PlayStationy," perhaps tied to a particular franchise that couldn't be represented by a fighter or level (like a Lemmings inspired mini-game, where your All Star serves as the different skills of the Lemmings, where you have to use your abilities to make the paths for the Lemmings). I wouldn't want them every match, perhaps two randomly chosen mini-games per arcade run.

On a general front, I'd love a museum. Where I can view the character models, the item models, and read about the items, and the series that they derive from). I'd love to see box art for each of the characters represented in the game. You can unlock the various box arts for whatever games they've appeared in before, even if it's just one game. A cutscene viewer, so you can view all of the story stuff you've unlocked. I hate that in order to view a rivalry cutscene I liked, I have to play through arcade mode again.

That's pretty much all I can think of at the moment. Just a bit more content to add to the value of the package, but I understand that this is a first entry, and they spent the bulk of the development just making sure that the game fundamentals were solid. Now that that's out of the way, I'm fully expecting the sequel to be packed to the brim with PlayStation stuff.

I've been really enjoying playing through the different characters, and their arcade mode.

The only things I'd like them to add to Arcade mode when it comes to progression:

Keep the opening and closing drawn cutscenes. I really like them, and think they're cool looking.

The opening cutscenes for the rivalries have been a lot of fun as well. I'd like to see an ending cutscene to the rivalry, after you defeat them. Some final trash talking or something.

Some kind of set up for Polygon Man. I don't like that the battle just starts, with no set up cutscene. A cool intro, where he talks about his motives, and why you are sucked into the world by him.

An ending to the Polygon Man fight, much like with the Rival cutscene. Just something to close that out, then it can segue into the character specific endings.

I'd also like to see a sense of progression between fights. Something like a "world map" that displays each of the matches you will be participating in, and what kind of match they are. Maybe even an indicator of the expected difficulty level of the fight (1 star, 2 star, or 3 stars). I don't like that you just immediately jump to the loading screen of the next fight.

Mini-games. Some kind of fun diversion between some of the matches, like Street Fighter's destroy the car, but something more "PlayStationy," perhaps tied to a particular franchise that couldn't be represented by a fighter or level (like a Lemmings inspired mini-game, where your All Star serves as the different skills of the Lemmings, where you have to use your abilities to make the paths for the Lemmings). I wouldn't want them every match, perhaps two randomly chosen mini-games per arcade run.

On a general front, I'd love a museum. Where I can view the character models, the item models, and read about the items, and the series that they derive from). I'd love to see box art for each of the characters represented in the game. You can unlock the various box arts for whatever games they've appeared in before, even if it's just one game. A cutscene viewer, so you can view all of the story stuff you've unlocked. I hate that in order to view a rivalry cutscene I liked, I have to play through arcade mode again.

That's pretty much all I can think of at the moment. Just a bit more content to add to the value of the package, but I understand that this is a first entry, and they spent the bulk of the development just making sure that the game fundamentals were solid. Now that that's out of the way, I'm fully expecting the sequel to be packed to the brim with PlayStation stuff.

you should work for superbot. :p

just had a fun fight with PSY ( i think that was you. haha) Man, Narikos chain grab really calls for some amazing combos. And her reach is deadly. It's annoying how Dante has a similar grab (with his scythe i beleive) in DmC but not in All Stars.

Sora_N

I was exhausted after I got home last night but I played a little, gf didn't like it (she's not a big gamer) but I enjoyed what little I played. I can't wait to play when I finish work tonight.

I only really enjoyed using Raiden and Kratos, the other characters didn't click with me. Drake feels like SSBB Snake lol, I like the cover move.

Well got my game and preorder costume code. Gamestop hadn't received the steelbook or keychain yet but whatever costumes is all I need. Now back to home and fire this bastard up.

Ran rp

PSY. Damn you're good with Nariko!

Btw, was i lagging? I just wanna know cause net here in the philippines ain't that great as compared to over there.

A little bit. The game lagged like once the entire time.

Good games though! I have no idea how that last super got me. Raiden's lvl 1 hitbox is rediculous.

vg260

Really they should just make the costumes available for everyone next patch. It is missed up everywhere. Even the digital preordered version requires a workaround.

Did you go back and re-download it on PSN? I didn't get them initially, but it allowed me to dl them after the store updated.

Drencrom

Well got my game and preorder costume code. Gamestop hadn't received the steelbook or keychain yet but whatever costumes is all I need. Now back to home and fire this bastard up.

I want my game already...

iqxoFsncrmCON.gif

PSY・S;44596761 said:
A little bit. The game lagged like once the entire time.

Good games though! I have no idea how that last super got me. Raiden's lvl 1 hitbox is rediculous.

phew. i would hate to play with you guys and constantly lag. :p
anyways, yeahp! definitely had fun! you're a beast with Nariko. there were times when i was literally just staring at the screen hoping you'd end your combo already. And haha! I agree. I just spam r2 the moment an enemy is within reach. hahaha!

i love my winning kill when we played in the hades level. combo-roll-speciaalll. i felt so proud. :')

vg260

how/where in the store??

I just found the big ad on the right, re-selected it even though it already showed as purchased. I don't remember exactly, but chose to download whatever options were available. (all free since I already bought it). It downloaded three (?) items I think. PS3 costumes, Vita costumes & online pass. Still have the 2 Vita bubbles on my ps3, I haven't transferred them yet.

WatTsu

Hey, uh...this might be a dumb question. But I looked in the manual and found nothing, so...

How exactly do you get Cross Save to work? I've ranked up to Level 32 or so with Big Daddy on Vita and want to transfer it over to PS3.

Apologies if this has been asked a lot, I went back through the last few pages and didn't see it.

Hey, uh...this might be a dumb question. But I looked in the manual and found nothing, so...

How exactly do you get Cross Save to work? I've ranked up to Level 32 or so with Big Daddy on Vita and want to transfer it over to PS3.

Apologies if this has been asked a lot, I went back through the last few pages and didn't see it.
Apparently you just log to your PSN in vita/ps3 and thats it.

BLunted

Banned
how/where in the store??

My purchase timed out during the checkout phase. Exited the store and went back in and noticed the funds had been withdrawn, so checked the "view downloads" section at the bottom of the store home, and all 3 were there, the online pass, Vita version and PS3 version.

Hope that helps!

SSReborn

When your on the Vita make sure that you connect to the network while in game then your supposed to completely close your game and start the ps3 version and it should be there.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I don't count Kratos, Ratchet and Sly as PS2 reps, as there as till games being made for them on the PS3 and the characters are mostly based on their PS3 incarnations. The breakdown as I see it, by platform and including third parties:

PS3 - Kratos, FP, Cole, Evil Cole, Heihachi, Radec, Big Daddy, Drake, Sweet Tooth, Sly Cooper, Sackboy, Dino, Ratchet & Clank, Raiden, Nariko

PS2 - Jak and Daxter

PS1 - Sir Dan, Spike, Parappa

PSP - Zilch.

Vita - Nada.

And even if you counted them as PS2 reps, that's still 12 PS3 reps vs 4 PS2 ones. This is what I mean with the roster being incredibly focused on current gen, with only the bare minimum for the other platforms. Dan being in the game is a miracle seeing the trend from every other character.

I'd rather ditch the four current third parties and put in four more first parties. To answer the question though, I'd take out both Nariko and FP, make Cole one character (like I mentioned before, not just axe Evil Cole) and put in an RPG rep, a "handheld" rep and another oddball character, maybe even keep FP in.

I've said it before, but Radec as a character is a great pick. He represents the FPS genre as well as the Killzone games, and the Hellghast are way more iconic than the heroes from those games.

That's ridiculous logic, Noi.

Kratos, Ratchet, Sly, Jak, Raiden, Radec(Killzone), all debuted on the PS2. They are PS2 reps, representing PS2 franchises, and their move sets represent a mix of PS2 and PS3 interpetations.

Spike, PaRappa, Toro, Sweet Tooth, Sir Dan, Heihachi, all debuted on the PS1. They are repping PS1.

Drake, Cole, Fat Princess, Big Daddy, Sackboy, Nariko all debuted on the PS3.

The breakdown is this:

PS1: 6 reps (Spike, PaRappa, Toro, Sweet Tooth, Sir Dan, Heihachi)
PS2: 6 reps (Kratos, Ratchet, Sly, Jak, Raiden, Radec)
PS3: 6 reps (Drake, Sackboy, Cole, Big Daddy, Nariko, Fat Princess)

Come on, man. Don't be unreasonable. I know the roster annoys you, but it is a well balanced PlayStation roster. We're getting a Vita rep in a few months (and another PS3 rep). We'll probably get more, and maybe even some third party additions as well.

The roster is what it is, and has been for a long time. You'd have thought people would have made their peace with it already, and decided if the game was still worth it to them or not. If the roster is that big of a deal, you have two options:

1) Don't buy the game.
2) Suck it up and just enjoy the game for what it is.

You've already opted to pass on option 1, Noi. So that leaves...

EDIT: Every fighting game's roster is lacking. Even Brawl, having 48 characters, is still missing a significant chunk of Nintendo, and that's the third in a series! All Stars is a debut fighter, from a debut studio. 20 characters, plus 2 more on the way is a good start. We'll probably see more once Kat and Emmett are out.

I'd love to personally see Alundra, Gabe Logan, Max/Monica, and Rau Utu. I don't care much for Legend of Dragoon, but I know people want Dart and Rose. I'd like Jeanne d'Arc and Jaster Rogue as well. We can't say none of those guys will ever show up, because we simply don't know.

Played a lot of great matches with Jstien earlier. He runs a really mean sackboy. Sackboy in 2 v 2 is a monster. His level 3 helps out the partner so much with free AP and items.

Actually if we are still doing impressions and such on characters Jstein should do sackboy. I will be doing Toro soon. Just learned a new trick with him so Ivan going to test it out.

fernoca

For what it's worth, is not a Gamestop issue but SEN/PlayStation related. The codes were supposed to unlock both, but like with Street Figther x Tekken; there's a glitch with cross-buy/downloads and is messed up. As of yesterday, Sven said that "they're looking on it". It's probably why also the Twitter giveaway, was extended a little (untill 5:59AM today).

btkadams

is medium a huge step up from easy? i'm at work now, so i can't check haha. i was too scared to move from easy last night. easy seemed just a bit too easy for me though. i'm really horrible at fighting games so don't make fun.

this game is great though! the presentation is definitely lacking in areas, but the gameplay and level design are both top-notch. i love the killzone level.

Tiu Neo

is medium a huge step up from easy? i'm at work now, so i can't check haha. i was too scared to move from easy last night. easy seemed just a bit too easy for me though. i'm really horrible at fighting games so don't make fun.

this game is great though! the presentation is definitely lacking in areas, but the gameplay and level design are both top-notch. i love the killzone level.

Nah. I suck at fighting games and could play and finish it on normal even with characters I didn't know how to play.

Ha ha ja look guys! This dude is really horrible at fighting games! He ruins the reputation of our glorious community :D.

The difficulty in the arcade mode actually ramps up nicely. Hero is like Practice mode where you have ample ability to learn moves and combos and such. Legend is where the AI starts to fight back and now you learn more about how to situationally use moves and such. Then All Star is where things start to get tough and you need to use everything you learned before to overcome the enemy. To those just starting this is pretty nice set up to learn characters, that and actually going in to practice mode.

btkadams

Ha ha ja look guys! This dude is really horrible at fighting games! He ruins the reputation of our glorious community :D.
LLShC.gif

Nah. I suck at fighting games and could play and finish it on normal even with characters I didn't know how to play.
The difficulty in the arcade mode actually ramps up nicely. Hero is like Practice mode where you have ample ability to learn moves and combos and such. Legend is where the AI starts to fight back and now you learn more about how to situationally use moves and such. Then All Star is where things start to get tough and you need to use everything you learned before to overcome the enemy. To those just starting this is pretty nice set up to learn characters, that and actually going in to practice mode.

good to hear! yeah i was so fucking stoked to actually be able to play matches without dying. i bought mortal kombat and couldn't ever beat the first fight :'( lol

i can't wait to play this with friends on the weekend. i'm having people over to play it, littlebigplanet karting, and my wii u.

Fixed for ya.

Also this,

Siliconera - Did you try for Crash Bandicoot at all? Crash was so synonymous with the PlayStation brand early on even though he’s at Activision now.

Omar - Yeah. I have to say it’s not that Superbot is some independent developer chasing down third-party characters. This is a negotiation that happens on a much higher level than Superbot, with Sony and Activision, these two giant companies.

And I completely understand how big and important a character like Crash is to the PlayStation universe. We want to make it clear to fans that we understand how important a character Crash is to the PlayStation universe. Obviously, we try everything in our power to try and get characters like Crash.

Hey Man is Obsolete, are you able to do Toro's combo 8 in tutorial mode? I can't figure it out. You're supposed to cancel Oni Flip into the Mochi ball right?

Hmm... GAF can you help? I chose to do Combos to see how to go about doing combos for each character. Thing is, I can't do them for the life of me. For example, I can't do down square, square, up triangle with Big Daddy. I try to do it just like the game tells me to do it but it doesn't work. I guess it's because Sweet Tooth keeps jumping up after I press the second square. I'm pressing down and up and the buttons at the same time. I'm just so confused.

DigitalOp

Banned
Ona serious note, there has been an INFLUX of Raiden players since launch day!! (night :p)

Seriously....., there's a Raiden in EVERY game I play online... No really!!!

I guess that means I can learn Dante without scrutiny I guess

You know what I really love about this game? Minions

I can't tell you how much my heart fills with joy when I start a match and Sully floats around and starts heard thrashing his little rock and roll heart out!!! There are some pretty awesome Minions like Kuma and the DJ for Parappa

but I love Sully... Thats my guy <3

Top Bottom