• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

Fat Princess->Kat
One of the Coles->Wander

Done :3

As for 3rd parties I would mayyyyyybe change Dino for Disagea rep or Tomba since their ip holders have shown intrest. I'd totally keep Raiden, BD and Heihachi tho.

well he concede that Fat Princess is indeed not a very iconic character to include in the first place, and Ueda don't want their character on this game, so no Wanda. and why Wanda anyway, he's nothing special, just your usual warrior with sword and bow,SoTC representative is only good as a stage mashup, not playable character, they're pretty boring character to play at imo

personally I'd choose some psp character like Loco Roco/Patapon/Invizmal to replace evil Cole

I don't count Kratos, Ratchet and Sly as PS2 reps, as there as till games being made for them on the PS3 and the characters are mostly based on their PS3 incarnations. The breakdown as I see it, by platform and including third parties:

PS3 - Kratos, FP, Cole, Evil Cole, Heihachi, Radec, Big Daddy, Drake, Sweet Tooth, Sly Cooper, Sackboy, Dino, Ratchet & Clank, Raiden, Nariko

PS2 - Jak and Daxter

PS1 - Sir Dan, Spike, Parappa

PSP - Zilch.

Vita - Nada.

And even if you counted them as PS2 reps, that's still 12 PS3 reps vs 4 PS2 ones. This is what I mean with the roster being incredibly focused on current gen, with only the bare minimum for the other platforms. Dan being in the game is a miracle seeing the trend from every other character.

By that logic I could say that all the Smash Bros characters are Wii or DS characters. Heck, Mario is a WiiU character! I mean Sweet a tooth, Heihachi as PS3 characters? Come on

There are more PS3 reps in any case because Sony significantly increased their quantity of output this gen.

I'd rather ditch the four current third parties and put in four more first parties. To answer the question though, I'd take out both Nariko and FP, make Cole one character (like I mentioned before, not just axe Evil Cole) and put in an RPG rep, a "handheld" rep and another oddball character, maybe even keep FP in.

I've said it before, but Radec as a character is a great pick. He represents the FPS genre as well as the Killzone games, and the Hellghast are way more iconic than the heroes from those games.
Why the vagueness? Pitch us the actual characters then

Lord Phol

So I've been practicing Dante. My highest ap combo is 70. I feel like thats low. Has anyone achieved better?

There must be bigger combos than that :eek:, challenge accepted! By the end of the day I will have come up with a combo that nets more ap than 70 for dante!
byebye sleep

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I disagree, and I'm not even thinking about third party characters. At this point I'm hoping the DLC rectifies this somewhat. Kat's a step in the right direction.

Wut who's missing in your opinion not counting 3rd party characters cause they pretty much did the ps2 and ps3 era's perfect with the exception of a resistance rep.

A legend of dragoon character? xD

Tiu Neo

This game makes me want to play Ratchet and Clank, Twisted Metal and Jak and Daxter. I even downloaded the DmC demo to try later! Damn, sony, you got me.

Funny thing is... Ratchet is my main, but I never played any of his games.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
This game makes me want to play Ratchet and Clank, Twisted Metal and Jak and Daxter. Damn, sony, you got me.

Yo get on that shit this instant, R&C is imo the best sony franchise.

Wut who's missing in your opinion not counting 3rd party characters cause they pretty much did the ps2 and ps3 era's perfect with the exception of a resistance rep.

Hey the dude from LOD is currently most requested 1st party and some dudes here wanted a LOD character.

I want Alundra :(.

Go buy A Crack in Time. Like now. Just do it!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Hey the dude from LOD is currently most requested 1st party and some dudes here wanted a LOD character.

Alundra isn't first party as far as I know

edit:
Noooo, don't fucking play a crack in time first. Do the trilogy collection first. The best part of A crack in time is the ties into the rest of the series.

edit:
Noooo, don't fucking play a crack in time first. Do the trilogy collection first. The best part of A crack in time is the whole returning villain

Dark Cloud 2 character then? Monica?

I still prefer Rudy from Wild Arms to be our jrpg rep than Dart, and Tomba really need to get in.

Tiu Neo

Yo get on that shit this instant, R&C is imo the best sony franchise.

Go buy A Crack in Time. Like now. Just do it!

edit:
Noooo, don't fucking play a crack in time first. Do the trilogy collection first. The best part of A crack in time is the ties into the rest of the series.

He is. Sony owns the character/ip but I think they don't hold all the rights for the first game or something.

A Crack in Time. DO IT!

Hahaha, I'll get them as soon as I get paid.

Probably start by getting the collection, if A Crack in Time story has too many ties with the previous games. That, or the cheapest one I can find here.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Dark Cloud 2 character then? Monica?

I still prefer Rudy from Wild Arms to be our jrpg rep than Dart, and Tomba really need to get in.

Yeah all those would be good :p

Maybe in part 2 gotta have extra's for later. Gotta remember this game is mostly an experiment. People can talk about brawls big ass roster but that's the 3rd game.

Hahaha, I'll get them as soon as I get paid.

Probably start by getting the collection, if A Crack in Time story has too many ties with the previous games. That, or the cheapest one I can find here.

no need to start with the collection imo, just start with Tools of Destruction. ACiT is a direct sequel of that, while ps2 ratchet as far as I know, are all stand alone story. (I never beat any ratchet games, so I don't know, but didn't look like they have connected plot like Jak and Daxter series)

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
no need to start with the collection imo, just start with Tools of Destruction. ACiT is a direct sequel of that, while ps2 ratchet as far as I know, are all stand alone story. (I never beat any ratchet games, so I don't know, but didn't look like they have connected plot like Jak and Daxter series)

Captain quarks evolution as a character is panned over the first 3 games, and a crack in time is a sequel to part 3 more than tools of destruction

Count me in with a Legends of Dragoon character. I know quite a few peeps here hate Dart. But cmon, I was "eh" with Kat, but I just supported it just cause I wanted a bigger roster. So cmon guys, suppppohrt!

DART.

Tiu Neo

Played online on the Vita for the first time, and noticed I got the blue belt. Wtf, when did this happen? I don't remember having any belts playing the PS3 version.

Also, I would be very happy if they put any Wild ARMS character and any Dark Cloud character on this game.

Good to know. Then I'll start by the cheapest one.

In terms of their Quality as a character for this type of game, iconicness and their history for Playstation this is how I'd rate the characters

S tier - Kratos
A tier - Ratchet, Jak, Cole, Sweet Tooth, Raiden
B tier - Sackboy, Parappa, Sly, Heihachi, Dante, Drake, Big Daddy
C tier - Toro, Spike, Sir Dan, Nariko, Radec
Z tier - Fatty P

Kratos is clearly the first choice. I would say Dante would be S tier if he were the original

Ratchet and Jak are the original rivals. Cole is a superhero with bad ass powers made for this game (though I do disagree with the decision to split good and evil). Sweet Tooth is just iconic.

Drake is probably the most popular character right now, but for me he just seems a little out of place. The moveset seems like they didn't have a great deal of ideas how to make him.

Fat Princess feels like she belongs on the minion list not the main character list.

Spinluck

Man, I cannot get over how dumb the name Dart sounds. Not knocking Legend Of Dragoon, but why?

Man, when it comes to FFA, Kratos rules all. He's a bitch when it comes to 1v1, so predictable.

Sly is still a slick bastard, invisibility + level 1 is so fucking heart shattering. Those moments just steal your momentum.

KevinCow

Banned
Drake is probably the most popular character right now, but for me he just seems a little out of place. The moveset seems like they didn't have a great deal of ideas how to make him.

I disagree with this. I think they did a surprisingly good job at making him feel like Drake. Moves like the zipline, the rope swing, and the collapsing floor are a bit silly, but also very Uncharted.

I'm actually a bit surprised to find that Drake is probably my second favorite character behind Big Daddy.

Watched the gametrailers review and I just can't get past the art style? Anyone put off by the mishmash of realistic and cartoony graphics?

It's especially noticeable with the mishmash of stages . But also seeing raiden or Dante jumping around a loco level just seems really jarring.

I would have preferred that they stylised every character and then keep them in the same art style.

Noi

Sir Dan and Jak had PSP games good sir. Parappa the Rapper 2 is a ps2 game and he had a psp port but that don't count. Spike had ps2 games and is based on ps2 game.

I guess theres 0 ps1 reps :(.

I realize it might be a bit silly to view them that way, but there's a difference between the characters I placed in PS3 and the rest. With two exceptions, the PS3 characters are still very relevant to this gen. It's not like Jak and Daxter where, outside of one mini-game collection, he's been MIA for four years now. Even longer in Parappa, Dan and Spike's case. But like I said, even if you counted them by original game release, the roster still remains very PS3-centric and not balanced enough to me.

Also, Jak's last game was a PS2/PSP game. And Dan's single PSP game was a remake of his first game.
E9wEj.gif

By that logic I could say that all the Smash Bros characters are Wii or DS characters. Heck, Mario is a WiiU character! I mean Sweet a tooth, Heihachi as PS3 characters? Come on

Nintendo and Sony are apples and oranges. For Smash Bros, people want more characters from franchises already represented, because they're constantly adding in more. With All-Stars, Sony has so many different and separate IP that we generally want more individual characters from widly different IPs, most of which aren't relevant to Sony's current platform. In Nintendo's case, Mario is a Mario character. It's impossible to pin him to a single Nintendo platform because he's been in ALL of them. Same with nearly every other IP in that game.

I count those two as PS3 characters because people are more likely to associate them with Tekken Tag 2 and the new Twisted Metal than they will their original games.

There are more PS3 reps in any case because Sony significantly increased their quantity of output this gen.

A single look at their list of owned IPs and games published says otherwise.
The exact studios used have changed, but the output hasn't. They have a lot of forgotten and discarded IPs/reps that they've been quick to discard rather than cultivate and turn them into mega franchises like they have the ones from this gen.

Why the vagueness? Pitch us the actual characters then

I'm vague because I'd take anything from what I described. An RPG rep can mean anything from Legend of Dragoon to White Knight Chronicles. A Handheld rep can be a playable Patapon/Heropon, Loco Roco, Kat or Tigershark. Hell, if they're so intent on promoting games that aren't even out yet, they could put in Iota from Tearaway and get some early marketing going.

See above. Characters other than the Mario, Link and Samus equivalents for Sony would be nice. And don't be knockin' on Legend on Dragoon, foo'.

Anyway you jerks are going to make me late for class, so I'll be back to argue (or troll depending on your perspective) some more and play with you guys once I get back.

Caffer

Neo Member
Watched the gametrailers review and I just can't get past the art style? Anyone put off by the mishmash of realistic and cartoony graphics?

It's especially noticeable with the mishmash of stages . But also seeing raiden or Dante jumping around a loco level just seems really jarring.

I would have preferred that they stylised every character and then keep them in the same art style.
lol i love the art style!

Lord Phol

I think it works pretty well actually, if they could somehow find an artsyle that suits all characters I wouldn't mind that either. I'm not a big fan of the loco-roco/MGS level mashup though.

Gadirok

All-stars is addicting. I was going arcade yesterday with Ratchet, Raiden, and Sweet Tooth.

Owned everyone as ratchet and raiden but had alot of difficulty with the Sweet tooth fights on All-stars difficulty. More specifically the 1v1 fight against Kratos. I was defeated like 7-8 times, and each time it would go like 2-3. I somehow lucked out on the last round with 3-2, barely knocking him out but it was really frustrating with a slow heavy hitter like sweet tooth to go up against kratos who could hit you from all possible angles with long AP building combos. Really screwed me over, and I had to resort to using the shotgun alot.

The AI was extremely well made for kratos, can't say the same thing for any of the other characters.

I should mention that it took me awhile to update everything onto the vita. Had to enter the online pass, preorder code, then download and install them. Meanwhile, my brother asked me to put in the Nuketown 2025 code for CoD and I did that for him.

Then the Vita had no room on the 4gb so I had to delete all the AR games to make room. But then it had to update.

I finally put in the allstars disc into the ps3 and that updates and installs to version 1.01 and it freezes on one of the screens so I restart the game thinking that I will just install the vita version this time. The vita finally finishes updating, but apparently to transfer the vita version you need to use disc benefits, and to use that you need to update the PS3 to the optional firmware.

So I do that, but by then my mom asks if she could play the vita to play ToM:Blitz, and at that point I'm like screw it, I'll just play on the PS3.Finally started having fun after about an hour, but the game is worth it.

Later that night I finally got all-stars onto the vita. Played it this morning on the commute with nariko. Cross-save/play is godly, it actually checked that I had unlocked the costumes for ratchet, raiden, and sweet tooth, so I was pleasantly surprised especially because my PS3 was turned off and it must have synced through one of Sony's servers I'm guessing.

Only problem with me right now is the stupid menu music. They shouldn't have changed it to that chipmunk squeel "battle". It was fine before, this is a set back not an improvement.

The other thing is, my preorder costumes don't work on the vita version. They work on PS3, not vita.

I am glad though that the GameStop rep gave me a seperate little neat looking card for the code from the drawer. I was worried for a second they weren't going to give me any because its not like this is the first time I was screwed over by Canadian retailers.

I really wanted the outcast sweet tooth and Kessler cole preorder costumes, so this was really a no brainer to preorder there this time around. Can't rely on FS.

Gadirok

I think it works pretty well actually, if they could somehow find an artsyle that suits all characters I wouldn't mind that either. I'm not a big fan of the loco-roco/MGS level mashup though.

Yeah, that mash up seems extremely akward. I'm fine with the loco roco bit but when Rising comes in, its just really weird to see a city with the rex pop in outta nowhere.

And not weird in a good way, it doesn't bode well and mash up like the other stages.

They should have used something else.

Dawg

just saw the GT review.

Figures. Game is bashed because it's a smash copy... but it doesn't play like smash.

They literally said All-Stars would have been a better game if it was more like Smash Bros.

Ugh, people always complain games don't try anything new, and when they DO, they complain it doesn't play like other games.

Why...

Yeah, that mash up seems extremely akward. I'm fine with the loco roco bit but when Rising comes in, its just really weird to see a city with the rex pop in outta nowhere.

And not weird in a good way, it doesn't bode well and mash up like the other stages.

They should have used something else.

patapon.

then just mxi god of war with something else.

ascii42

Mario in Brawl is specifically the GameCube incarnation, I suppose.

The logic is still stupid, basically he's saying that everyone in the game is either PS3 characters or dead franchises.

Loudninja

Mario in Brawl is specifically the GameCube incarnation, I suppose.

The logic is still stupid, basically he's saying that everyone in the game is either PS3 characters or dead franchises.
Which is false, quite a few of those are PS2 and PS1 characters.

Also like 3 are from a Dead Franchise.

Drencrom

So I do that, but by then my mom asks if she could play the vita to play ToM:Blitz, and at that point I'm like screw it, I'll just play on the PS3.Finally started having fun after about an hour, but the game is worth it.

A mother playing vita? That's something new.

ascii42

Nintendo and Sony are apples and oranges. For Smash Bros, people want more characters from franchises already represented, because they're constantly adding in more. With All-Stars, Sony has so many different and separate IP that we generally want more individual characters from widly different IPs, most of which aren't relevant to Sony's current platform. In Nintendo's case, Mario is a Mario character. It's impossible to pin him to a single Nintendo platform because he's been in ALL of them. Same with nearly every other IP in that game.

I count those two as PS3 characters because people are more likely to associate them with Tekken Tag 2 and the new Twisted Metal than they will their original games.
So it's not possible to pin Nintendo characters to a single platform because they've been on all of them, but it is possible to do so for Sony characters? Twisted Metal has appeared on every Playstation system except for the Vita. Same with Tekken.

Gadirok

I was in the car one day playing ToM:Blitz, and she asked if she could try and I gave it to her. Ever since then shes been addicted to it.

Not making good progress on my vita games, but I'm atleast glad she is starting to play video games. The last game she ever played with me was mario party 1 when I was a kid and I couldn't do those games that require you to rotate the control stick super fast.

Lord Phol

My mom plays suikoden, dragon quest and final fantasy. When I was younger we used to play twisted metal 2, super mario bros 3 and lots of other stuff. She's pretty cool.
Think she might have put me on the path that lead to my video-games addiction oO.
Not trying to brag, she's honestly very cool and probably knows more about those rpgs than I do.

Drencrom

New update on Superbots tumblr

http://superbotent.tumblr.com/post/36168639182/thank-you

One of our greatest assets has always been our awesome fanbase. From the huge crowd that came out to the LA Beatdown event, to all the competitors that participated in our first tournament at New York Comic-Con, to all the people that came to the Sony press event in Toronto, to all the PSN users that helped us out by participating in the betas, we couldn’t help but feel the anticipation from the fans. Big shouts to the online community for all the support and for making my job easier by spreading the good word. Every forum post celebrating a new character, every fan Wiki entry, every weird Omar gif contributed to something greater than just the release of a new video game.

lol

Tiu Neo

My mom plays suikoden, dragon quest and final fantasy. When I was younger we used to play twisted metal 2, super mario bros 3 and lots of other stuff. She's pretty cool.
Think she might have put me on the path that lead to my video-games addiction oO.

She has good taste. My family was pretty much like that too. My mother loved Castlevania: SotN, while my father was more of a PC gamer, specially CRPGs and adventure games. They shaped the gamer I am today :D

Nowdays, all she plays are puzzle games and the ocasional plataformer or metrovania, but is very good at them. My father still plays a lot of things.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
So since I have the game anyhow and nothing else better to do today I figured I'd at least try getting a good ranking in FFA mode. Just now got my purple rank and apparently that puts me into the top 100 overall. I'm sure that'll change by the time I wake up, but at least it shows me that its possible to do well in a chaotic and random FFA mode, at least while there are still 50% of people that are still learning the game that can assure very few 3rd or 4th place standings. Part of it is also time spent, because, with this system, a 60% win rate with a ton more time played is going to rank you higher than a 75% win rate player that plays less often, but it is what it is.

I wanted to be mohawk toro at first (side o using the tourist costume), because mohawk toro is about the best mixture of cute and awesome that I've ever seen, but sadly mohawk toro absolutely totally sucks. Like every single move of his gets absolutely no ap whatsoever. You could be hitting people with attacks from him all match long never being interupted and most other characters will outpace your ap gain. Maybe he's better in stock since i admit mohawk toro is the best at not getting hit, but this game isn't balanenced for stock mode considering that's stupidly not what they used for ranking mode.

So I just switch between justice and oni modes, which wasn't the worst because black afro/black suit toro is the next best thing. Justice for when things are nice and spread out, oni for when things are moshpiting. But even that topped me out at mid high green.

His average level 1 and poor range and priority (and thus poor ap building skills) just doesn't cut it. If you're going to have poor ap building you can't really rely on level 2s unless you are really really good at getting 3 every single time, and it seems a lot of green belts can time a roll to completely avoid it no matter how well placed your level 2 is, so I was only really getting 2 kills every time I used it.

So I moved to play as Kratos to see if he's as crazy as I thought and yes he certainly is. It almost feels like his delay after doing his nuetral square has decreased from the beta and he's actually better now than durring the beta, but its just a feeling. There were many times I blocked an enemy Kratos's neutral square and his delay was so non-existent that there wasn't any time to get a counter hit in with any of Toro's relatively slow moves.

Figuring that was too cheap for me after a few matches and the fact that I dislike Kratos as a character, I moved to Sly and used the same technique of always being invisible that I've talked about since the private beta, and that put me over the hump. Its nice not being afraid of Kratos after switching to him. Sly's air down square is one of his best moves, and Kratos's constantly moving chain blades never go above his head. Sly's super jump also keeps him out of the absolutely insane tracking ability of the Kratos side square, which you cannot say about most other characters.

And I do have to admit, every single time I met a red belt or higher, they won, so they are clearly better than me. Their methods of AP gain really aren't so different than mine, which is to basically find the 3-5 great moves the character has and only really use those moves, but they are better at getting that extra kill every time they use their super, and just a bit better at avoiding everyone else's.

I'd also note that explosions of ap from short combos are always better than flashy long ones, since it is a race to get ap the fastest for the most part, and to be honest that part of the game helps me out greatly, since I've always and will always suck at the parts of games that require complex input with your hands. I enjoy the aspect of making snap decisions about character placement and which move to use for the situation a lot more than the rock paper scissors and complex input of other fighting games. I guess that's why I stuck around here so long and bought the darn thing.

I'm still curious about 2v2 and 1v1 modes, but I was in no mood to arrange anything today, partly because I'm still annoyed that we have to do that. I'll maybe try later though. It maybe a totally different game that I straight up suck at for all I know.

darkwing

I disagree with this. I think they did a surprisingly good job at making him feel like Drake. Moves like the zipline, the rope swing, and the collapsing floor are a bit silly, but also very Uncharted.

I'm actually a bit surprised to find that Drake is probably my second favorite character behind Big Daddy.

yup, Drake is very uncharted, but I still hate his level 1 lol

Noi

You can agree or disagree with the way I look at the roster, I don't particularly care. My point from the strart is that thinking that the game's roster is lacking is a completely fair criticism of the game and shouldn't be labeled as trolling, especially IBM this case where it was just one person saying their opinion.

I probably could have worded my thoughts better as well but I'm running on 24 hours with no sleep. I'll explain better when I'm coherent if someone asks.

Top Bottom