• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

is nobody getting the glitch with none of your wins showing up under ranked leaderboards. Just won a match AGAIN and it said "2nd place streak" again.

SykoTech

The Polygon Man boss was kinda disappointing. Barely even fought the dude himself.

Having a lot of fun with the game though. Ratchet & Clank are awesome as expected. Loving Sackboy too, his teleport has saved my ass so much. Trying to learn as my combo character but I keep dropping my combos with her. Ironically, I'm a lot better with Dante.

baekshi

Banned
So i just dropped a max difficulty raiden with sackboy with ease. Those ele pads and cake mess him up.

He tries sooo hard to get close then you just telle lol

Obviously, since this game lives in 2v2 and FFA, raiden doesnt really have much of an advantage if any.
Im just pointing out he has a particular advantage in a 1v1 scenario.

But obviouly not good againts ranged characters if played well as noted above.

Im fully aware of how new tech is found and raiden will be less and less a threat when people figure it out. Only thats not needed because 1v1 is only playable with friends. Its not ranked, so a nerf is unlikely even if he is OP in a 1v1 scenario

raiden got nothing on toro

WatTsu

Took me at least 6 try with PaRappa. Any tips for Drake v Sly?

Also forward-square, square square square tends to catch him more than you'd think, if you time it right you can push him against the wall repeatedly and keep him from going invisible and teleporting around.

If he gets too far away, Down+Circle seems to catch him at least a couple times.

It took me over an hour to beat him. Good luck.

Edit: Also don't even bother trying to go for the level 1, it's practically impossible to hit with. Level 2 or nothing.

Nakiro

Sly is so hard to deal with as Drake. Not even talking about the challenge, just in general. But then again so are all the short characters.

Man I'm having WAAAY too much fun with this. Was playing throughout work today on the Vita and when I got home I played with a friend locally. He never played this so it was his first time and we played for a hour or two online and it was a blast.

Now I just beat Nariko's campaign. This game seriously is just too fun. I'm sort of glad they put all their effort into the actual gameplay because it's just almost perfect imo. Characters just light up when you know how to use them.

Sly is so hard to deal with as Drake. Not even talking about the challenge, just in general. But then again so are all the short characters.

Man I had a hard time beating Sly this morning but I eventually got him. The barrel kick and the floor drop move is the best way to deal with him. I also use down square and forward square a lot on him.

KevinCow

Banned
I'm seriously starting to hate FFA mode.

Like hey, fuck any practice or strategy you've put into your character, because some asshole's just gonna come from behind and interrupt you in the middle of it anyway.

1v1 is easily the most fun I've had with this game, because every time I've died, I knew it was because the other guy got the best of me and not because the screen was a chaotic clusterfuck and I didn't see the guy who killed me. It's just a fucking shame that there's no 1v1 matchmaking.

And I seriously hate how Big Daddy and Sir Dan have such awful supers, but I'm too stubborn to take the easy route and switch to someone with better supers.

Just a note to everyone: If I don't accept your request to join a party, I'm just playing local with my friends. If I can join you, I'll do it 100% of the time :)

I'm just going to spend the weekend practicing this game. You guys are going to be lightyears ahead of me by the time the tourny comes around!

Oh, I just remembered: on the subject of the Scrafty Cup, I may not actually be able to participate :( With my mother in the hospital and my WiFi spazzing out a lot, I may have to relegate myself to judging and making cool promotional videos instead of jumping into the fray. Ah well; I'd probably just drag someone else down.

SmithnCo

is nobody getting the glitch with none of your wins showing up under ranked leaderboards. Just won a match AGAIN and it said "2nd place streak" again.

I get that too sometimes, hopefully they plan to iron some of this out in the coming months. Totally loving it when it works online.

I'm seriously starting to hate FFA mode.

Like hey, fuck any practice or strategy you've put into your character, because some asshole's just gonna come from behind and interrupt you in the middle of it anyway.

1v1 is easily the most fun I've had with this game, because every time I've died, I knew it was because the other guy got the best of me and not because the screen was a chaotic clusterfuck and I didn't see the guy who killed me. It's just a fucking shame that there's no 1v1 matchmaking.

And I seriously hate how Big Daddy and Sir Dan have such awful supers, but I'm too stubborn to take the easy route and switch to someone with better supers.

FFA mode is just a party mode for me. They should add stock 1v1 ranked and quick match.

I freaking love 1v1 in this game. It's just too fun.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I might pick this up during christmas sale locally. Which means I have a couple of questions.

1) The DLC is available regardless of region yes? The ones available here are region 3, but I take it that it is similar to Capcom that the DLCs aren't region locked?

2) I take it that the retail purchase is still legible for the "you pay only once"?

KillerAJD

I'm still very disappointed at the lack of modes and options, but at least the game is fun to play, (as long as you're playing with people who don't spam square with Kratos and Raiden, haha). A buddy and I spent 20 minutes or so learning how to dodge and parry really well, and we did fine against each other, but that immediately went away as soon as we played somebody else. Handily got our asses kicked in the first match, hah. I really don't care for fighting games outside of something like Smash Brothers, but it's been a lot of fun maining Heihachi and learning all of his moves and combos. Oh, and Kuma is a BEAST of a level 2 super, haha.

Can't you combo the mic grapple into the level 1?
It can be dodged but you have to think fast. I think many underestimate Para lvl 1. The fact that it goes thru walls and affects platforms above you can easily take your enemy by surprise.

Have I mentioned that Fat Princess unlockable costume sucks?

Kurod

Banned
Haha. Just denied an Evil Cole's level 2 in ranked. He had the other two players caught in his electric web of death when I blasted him with my RYNO. Ratchet's level one is so good...maybe too good.

Boss Doggie

I might pick this up during christmas sale locally. Which means I have a couple of questions.

1) The DLC is available regardless of region yes? The ones available here are region 3, but I take it that it is similar to Capcom that the DLCs aren't region locked?

2) I take it that the retail purchase is still legible for the "you pay only once"?

Bump for question again lol

The Lamp

I'm planning on getting the game for Christmas and just had a question about stages. There are no ring-outs, right? That's kind of disappointing. I hoped that even with the AP system that maybe getting thrown out of the ring lost you your AP or something, but maybe that would be too Smash Bros-esque.

Anyway, with no ring-outs, are the stages mainly scenery or do they serve any actual purpose to the on-screen gameplay? The clips I've seen just kind of show it as moving scenery in the background without much actual contribution to the fighting on screen, especially with no ring-outs. Are there any dynamic or interactive stages like in Smash Bros.?

I'm planning on getting the game for Christmas and just had a question about stages. There are no ring-outs, right? That's kind of disappointing. I hoped that even with the AP system that maybe getting thrown out of the ring lost you your AP or something, but maybe that would be too Smash Bros-esque.

Anyway, with no ring-outs, are the stages mainly scenery or do they serve any actual purpose to the on-screen gameplay? The clips I've seen just kind of show it as moving scenery in the background without much actual contribution to the fighting on screen, especially with no ring-outs. Are there any dynamic or interactive stages like in Smash Bros.?

Stages have a big effect on supers, how you use them, how you set yourself up for them.

Stages have drop outs, where you can fall off a stage, and stage hazards, where you lose AP or get stunned so an enemy can KO you. Stage hazards are also patterned in a way that you can set enemies into them, so stages offer a role in how you set up some of your actions. Walls also play a crucial role in combos

gadwn

Just had my first play session. Three hours or so. And damn... I suck so hard at fighting games. xD Every match (online) I got negative scores. :/

Ah well, better luck tomorrow I hope. Maybe should try someone else other than Nariko and Drake...

But yes, the game is awesome. It's actually meatier then I was expecting to, the single player content that is. So much to unlock, so many levels to gain. This will take a long time! :)

Zero issues online also, the matchmaking is amazingly fast. No lag either.

The Lamp

Stages have a big effect on supers, how you use them, how you set yourself up for them.

Stages have drop outs, where you can fall off a stage, and stage hazards, where you lose AP or get stunned so an enemy can KO you. Stage hazards are also patterned in a way that you can set enemies into them, so stages offer a role in how you set up some of your actions. Walls also play a crucial role in combos

Okay awesome.

I'm hoping we get a sequel to this so that maybe in the next one they can incorporate a real story mode with actual cutscenes and boss battles and maybe some sort of mode (like in Smash Bros.) where you can view all the characters and their history with PlayStation, museum-style. That'd be cool.

Dear god, Sackboy AI on Level 4. Ultimate troll. ALWAYS has the fan up, and it acts as a shield!

I'm hoping we get a sequel to this so that maybe in the next one they can incorporate a real story mode with actual cutscenes and boss battles and maybe some sort of mode (like in Smash Bros.) where you can view all the characters and their history with PlayStation, museum-style. That'd be cool.

Me too. This first iteration needed to nail down the core combat and mechanics and I feel that it did. The presentation definitely needs a major step up for a next iteration, and I hope the success SB finds with this game helps them blow the next one out of the park

since you're asking for the 'you only pay once' thing, I assume you have Vita? than just get the game in the same region with your vita account to avoid any dlc problem. I don't know if ps3 version dlc is region locked or not, but currently there's no way for Vita to use dlc from other region

actually, I think the cross buy come in a download code, so you may not even be able to dowlnoad vita version at all if you have the game in different region

Boss Doggie

I'm pretty sure you can use different regions in Vita - it's not region locked. You just have to reset the system when switching accounts.

Ploid 3.0

OMG I'm hooked, just got such a clutch win on ranked FFA. Uncharted map, clown x2, Good and bad Cole (I was evil). The whole fight I was wiffing my super 2's. We got the 10 second warning and I just decided to fire my level one on a guy that was next to me, he ended up hitting the two other people for a 3 kill. Feels Good!

IMG_20121121_215616.jpg

So many good moments like this. When is the tournament going on, and is it too late to join?

Concept17

Damnit, went to Best Buy to pick this up (wanted to use my credit there) and despite the site saying it was in stock, it was nowhere to be seen. :(

Guess I'm waiting till Friday.

Ploid 3.0

How the hell does one play as Sackboy? I can't wrap my head around his play style, same with Toro.

You have to make good use of that shock pad and his cake sticky. I played against a awesome sackboy and he schooled me even though I knew his tricks. The shock pad was annoying and the cake kept getting in the way. All while I was trying to get to him or shoot at him he was taking cover racking up shots of his own. He made me look so stupid.

Here's Omar's Sackboy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=rvS7srtQJTU#t=3198s

Mr. Fix

<3 Big Daddy

However, there are far too many tools that are spammable that are so safe even on block, it's such a turn off from the game. And everyone abuses this on teams. Such a shame, that it's how the teams work.

Noi

Is there a way to always get the crumple finisher with Cole's Neutral Square attack? Directions don't do shit, and I hate to think that the finisher is always random.

I just started playing this with my brother for the first time. Never played the demo or anything. We are getting our asses handed to us but what a great game. We are having a absolute blast. I've tried good cole, nariko, and got wrecked. They seem great but require some actual know how. Settled on Big Daddy and this big bastard is awesome. I had no idea the levels were so cool either!!

Top Bottom