• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

Can they play on their own account if they buy an online pass separately? The extra $10 is still better than buying the Vita and PS3 versions individually.
I don't see why not. Be warned tho: somebody said before in this thread that online passes apparently ain't in the store yet. I dunno when they usually get there.

J-Tier

I think the fighting in this game is really boring. It moves too slowly, there's no impact, and there's nothing worse than hitting a guy to the ground, and watching him blink invincible for like two seconds. It's probably the longest two seconds in history. I'd rather wait in a DMV line for an hour than just stand there waiting to play the game again because the developers decided to cater to casuals.

The only possibly more frustrating than this is the baffling roll-system, in which you're never guaranteed to know which way you're going to face after making said roll. It seems to alternate back-and-forth? ... which... is dumb?

In the first part...you're talking about recovery? If it isn't a sufficient amount of frames, then your opponent may be able to attack you amidst recovery animation. Which would be bad. The length of time also allows your opponent to plan their next move, in a FFA, with dynamically transforming stages...that's a good thing.

The roll system? I have no issues with it, I don't understand your problem, it faces the direction you're pushing in while it's in animation.

J-Tier

This is highly incorrect, with good timing, Drake's level 1 is very very good.

Heihachi's level 1 on the other hand.....

Yeah, Drake's all about positioning and timing.

Heihachi...too much startup and happens right next to him. It's pretty bad. But you build it up fairly fast I guess. (EDIT: I forgot, you can hit confirm)

Jak's level 1 is fairly bad too, and he gains AP rather slowly.

Noi

You can hitconfirm Heihachi's level 1, but that still doesn't make it very good. It's dumb range means you'll likely never get more than one kill out of it versus other supers that don't really need hit confirms and can easily net multiple kills. Same with Dan's Level 1.

Drake is not equipped to take on Sly... son of a bitch...

Edit- Holy shit... I wish I could record this... This is ridiculous... I'm doing there rivalry battle on all-star difficulty if you want to know.

I feel like I'd have an alright Sir Dan once I learn some combos with him.

EDIT: And yes, I had fun. Little bit of trouble here and there(servers wise), but good!

Ploid 3.0

Thinking about ditching Evil Cole for another character but the other options seem to have supers that I probably won't like. I like range because I don't want to deal with the raidens, Kratos, and Nariko's especially since they have long distance grabs that lead into combos (the last two). I was thinking about Ratchet, Radec, and Drake. Drake's supers seem kinda bad though, and Radec's seem limited. However I only use the first super with E.Cole usually, hmm. If only Evil cole had a ok horizontal ranged attack. The shock shooter is horrible. I'm going to probably stick with E.Cole and see if using shock pulse horizontal is ok if I move forward in the action.

J-Tier

Thinking about ditching Evil Cole for another character but the other options seem to have supers that I probably won't like. I like range because I don't want to deal with the raidens, Kratos, and Nariko's especially since they have long distance grabs that lead into combos (the last two). I was thinking about Ratchet, Radec, and Drake. Drake's supers seem kinda bad though, and Radec's seem limited. However I only use the first super with E.Cole usually, hmm. If only Evil cole had a ok horizontal ranged attack. The shock shooter is horrible.

Mess around with Ratchet? His circle moves give him a lot of options, you might like him. (Because I like him =( )

Ran rp

At least the disconnects, bugs, and lagging isn't as bad as it was in the beta. You'd expect your PS3 to hard lock every 2-3 games, and the game would crash on the Vita every other game.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
i guess i didn't win the twitter contest

50 codes and i entered each question correctly : /

They didn't send out the prizes yet..

I know that I said I would buy the game myself but I have money problem at last minute. I thought it would be cool if I can trying my luck with twitter contest and see if I can get it for free. They said that they would send out the winner codes on Nov 18, but they never made any announcement or doing anything about it yet.

Noi

Thinking about ditching Evil Cole for another character but the other options seem to have supers that I probably won't like. I like range because I don't want to deal with the raidens, Kratos, and Nariko's especially since they have long distance grabs that lead into combos (the last two). I was thinking about Ratchet, Radec, and Drake. Drake's supers seem kinda bad though, and Radec's seem limited. However I only use the first super with E.Cole usually, hmm. If only Evil cole had a ok horizontal ranged attack. The shock shooter is horrible. I'm going to probably stick with E.Cole and see if using shock pulse horizontal is ok if I move forward in the action.

You can hitconfirm Radec's level 2 just by using side square. Let that sink in. >:)

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
play it, Daxter is amazing, the animation and the voice acting, he's hilarious. he's totally the star of the show, especially since Jak is a mute character in Jak & Daxter 1

I second this. I loved the first Jak and Daxter, and am currently playing through it on the HD Collection. I never played Jak 2 beyond a demo, and played a bit of Jak 3 on my backwards compatible PS3.

I prefer the Ratchet and Clank and Sly Cooper games, but I think Jak and Daxter are great. The first one is an excellent and challenging platformer. The 2nd and 3rd one switch gears, but are still solid, with fun characters. Daxter is a bastard. I love him. Lol.

The PSP game Daxter is also pretty awesome. I should probably buy it again. I owned the UMD back in the day, but it fell apart on me before I could beat it.

Honestly, outside of Mario platformers, I think the PS2 Trio of Jak, Ratchet, and Sly are some of the best character driven adventure/platformers out there. I'm going to buy that Ratchet and Clank HD Collection tonight from Amazon for $15.

B.O.O.M

I'm gonna say this now...SuperBot definitely should include both good and evil cole in the next game. They are friggin fantastic

Figboy79

Aftershock LA

LOL. What is this, Smash Brothers? I didn't think that would make me laugh like it did, but it did.

^ Poor Princess Peach..but rofl at Rachet.

Haha nice, thanks for posting.

Would you guys say this game holds-up if you are going to play it offline for a while? Like custom matches with fun AI? Hope it has difficulty setting.

I'd say so. I've been playing primarily solo. I think I've done about 8 or 9 online matches out of many hours of playtime. I think the computer AI is pretty good, especially when cranked up to 4 or 5. 5 is a bit much for me right now, but I can hang with a level 4 difficulty. Sure, not as good as a human player, but at least the AI doesn't just spam 1 move over and over and over again. Or rage quit when getting served.

I've been primarily playing the Arcade mode for each character, doing some challenges, doing some training and practicing with each new character I decide to play as. I don't think there's enough content (I really wanted to unlock character and weapon figurines, and box art, and music tracks to play in a jukebox). Still, though. Really solid first effort from SuperBot.

Takao

Banned
They didn't send out the prizes yet..

I know that I said I would buy the game myself but I have money problem at last minute. I thought it would be cool if I can trying my luck with twitter contest and see if I can get it for free. They said that they would send out the winner codes on Nov 18, but they never made any announcement or doing anything about it yet.

Nah seems people are getting their winners notice: https://twitter.com/search/realtime?q=won+all-stars&src=typd

BTW guys, dont expect to respond to PMs, the PS3 is prone to freezing when that happens with heavy HDD games.

So, I love the music for San Fran.

Takao

Banned
Just great. They didn't made any announcement, like Check your Direct Messages and see if you ever win any code.

Yeah, I'm in a similar situation to you where I don't have the money to buy the game right now so I was hoping on the Twitter contest working some magic. : /

Skyzard

Banned
LOL. What is this, Smash Brothers? I didn't think that would make me laugh like it did, but it did.

I'd say so. I've been playing primarily solo. I think I've done about 8 or 9 online matches out of many hours of playtime. I think the computer AI is pretty good, especially when cranked up to 4 or 5. 5 is a bit much for me right now, but I can hang with a level 4 difficulty. Sure, not as good as a human player, but at least the AI doesn't just spam 1 move over and over and over again. Or rage quit when getting served.

I've been primarily playing the Arcade mode for each character, doing some challenges, doing some training and practicing with each new character I decide to play as. I don't think there's enough content (I really wanted to unlock character and weapon figurines, and box art, and music tracks to play in a jukebox). Still, though. Really solid first effort from SuperBot.

Thanks for sharing your experience, should be perfect to practice with while I'm without net.. so I can come back and not miss with all my supers - damn that's painful. Hopefully what content is there will last for a while....can always have DLC stages too surely :)

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
In the first part...you're talking about recovery? If it isn't a sufficient amount of frames, then your opponent may be able to attack you amidst recovery animation. Which would be bad. The length of time also allows your opponent to plan their next move, in a FFA, with dynamically transforming stages...that's a good thing.

The roll system? I have no issues with it, I don't understand your problem, it faces the direction you're pushing in while it's in animation.

The training tutorials even teach you how to change the direction your facing when you're rolling. :/

@Skyzard: You're welcome! I've really been enjoying SP. Personally, I've been getting too many online glitches to make online much fun. Last night, I was in a 2v2 match, but my partner didn't spawn in. Queue me getting the shit beat out of me by two other players, and yet still managing to win, because for some reason, the game didn't count the guy that beat me by 2 points, so I won. Lol.

Once they fix some of the server bugs, I'll hop back online. Speaking of which, for this tournament, how are we going to deal with matches where some characters don't spawn in, and you have 2v2's that are really 2v1? Should we do rematches or what?

EDIT: @B.O.O.M: I agree. I love Good and Evil Cole. They are both rather different in terms of how you approach battles and set up people for your Supers. I love Evil Cole's Ionic Drain, but I also love Cole's Level 2 Ice Super. I don't know which one I like more. I'm leaning towards Evil Cole, but I've put the most time in Good Cole. It doesn't hurt that inFAMOUS is one of my favorite new IPs this generation...

KevinCow

Banned
I feel like I'd have an alright Sir Dan once I learn some combos with him.

EDIT: And yes, I had fun. Little bit of trouble here and there(servers wise), but good!

It doesn't seem like Sir Dan really has combos, unfortunately. Most of his attacks seem to put enemies in a state that can't be easily followed up.

I just try to do a bunch of 1-1-U1-U2 combos. That arrow at the end isn't technically a combo, but it hits a lot of the time, and if they keep getting hit by it, then you'll know ahead of time that it's a good way to combo into your level 1.

Also don't forget about his projectiles. He's not really a projectile character, but keeping his axe, fire, and head out there can build up some good meter over time. Do the axe in the air, especially when you're jumping in, because it comes out much faster than on the ground and can come back and knock an enemy out of their combo if they get in on you.

Just got the game and did some trials for a few of the characters and played Nathan Drake's arcade mode. Very fun, cant wait to get deeper into it.

I'm telling you, man--never use his level 1 unless you've stunned the opponent with forward circle, and spam forward triangle/circle for hid level 2. It seems to work pretty well for me.

Oh man I spam it like crazy but compared to how effortless other lvl 2's are it just seems ridiculous.

PowderedToast

got the demo

actually really impressed with the response times and general polish of the fighting, pardon my cynicism but i did not expect a western studio to get this right (especially after seeing pics full of bloom and de-saturated colour, so yucky)

that said, oh.my.GOD the UI is SOOOOO BAAD

italics everywhere, ugly sans-serif typeface, gradients, wtf happened/???/;qlkev

this game also highlights the contrast in quality of 1st party sony characters. cole and kratos next to fortesque and toro? yeah no fucking contest

also how fucking awesome is cross-play. its like one of those things people dream about but never happens, except they actually did it

Top Bottom