• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
The annoying thing about FFA ranked being the main ranked mode is that it pretty much forces you to use the OP characters.

In other games you can more easily out skill others, because even if they have easier to land moves, you can still prepare and defend and counter it. Here if a character is better at building ap and kills quicker, the only great way to fight against it is to build ap and kills even quicker than he is, but there's kind of an upper limit on how quick every character can do that.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This game is surprisingly well done. The Buzz stage is awesome.

If I had to make some changes:

1. You should lose super meter when you die
2. Regular moves connecting should do AP damage more regularly. It looks like it's too easy to build super
3. I'd add in ring outs for like really severe cases of beat down

Raiden seems godtier.

Ran rp

The Vita's online functionality needs to be tweaked or we need to be given more options. I'm getting invites a full hour after they've been sent.

Carl

PSY・S;44679158 said:
The Vita's online functionality needs to be tweaked or we need to be given more options. I'm getting invites a full hour after they've been sent.

Not been a problem for me...

You got your messages to refresh every 10 mins?

How dare you hate on polygon man :(

I can't put my finger on what exactly is that I hate the most about it. Probably the voice, instead of sounding menacing he sounds more like a bad parody, and the fact that I'm not really fighting him but clones of other characters.

I can't wait for the sequel. Things it needs to have

- A unified art style. I think the worry was that characters would lose their identity or something, but that's just silly. If they used something like this it would work so much better
8200022364_d5eb8ace00.jpg

- keep the mash ups, but make them dynamic. So you have a static list of stages, but then you have a whole number of invasions that can occur. So if I'm on Hades I can be invaded by a Metal Gear in one match and by dollface another

- larger focus on 1 v 1. That's where I feel the strength of this franchise could be. Make the game deeper and closer to a true fighter than a Smash Bros game.

- A real single player. Expand it greatly, I want to see how all the characters interact with eachother. Also, make sure that characters are featured in their own stage. Fighting Prappa in dojo makes sense. Fighting Nariko in the Dojo does not

- Reach out and hire some talent to improve production values. Get a high quality designer on board. Improve the UI, the music, the sound effects, the graphics. All of this needs some work.

Noi

Polygon Man's pretty big wasted potential. No buildup to him, no explanation as to why he "gathered" everyone, his only attack is the dumb stomp, and he just morphs into the hazards from other stages while fighting bleh colored opponents. Arcade mode may as well end with the rival battle for all the importance he's given.

Polygon Man's pretty big wasted potential. No buildup to him, no explanation as to why he "gathered" everyone, his only attack is the dumb stomp, and he just morphs into the hazards from other stages while fighting bleh colored opponents. Arcade mode may as well end with the rival battle for all the importance he's given.
None of it is given explanation. They could have easily done some sort of explanation how characters kept getting pushed between these different worlds

I don't understand how reviews are giving this game a 7/10??

Are they insane? Are they playing the same game I'm playing?

Literally the only complaint I have is the lack of health bars, it makes defense unnecessary.

FANTASTIC game with Scrafty and NapalmFrank!

Man, what an intense game of Stock haha. My sides were hurting, I was laughing so much at you two in the end there!

----

There are some interesting stipulations in trials. One of them is: Gain AP real fast, but lose AP when you get killed. They should be available for local/friendly play to make games more interesting. I think that'd be fun.

It's too bad you can't change things like spawn time, how long supers last, etc. for custom games. I'd love to play a mode where I could custom-tailor little tweaks to make some interesting private games.

PowderedToast

everything needs work but the fighting, and fortunately that's the most important thing. this will probably be my goty regardless of the deficiencies, the gameplay slays that hard

kat dlc is gonna be soooooooooo good

Vodh

So I'm guessing there's no word on the availability of the preorder costumes outside of the preorders yet? Right now I'd pay some serious money for them, the game is godly and I wish I knew about the costumes earlier (as in, when I could still place a preorder...)

Y2Kev

That was fun, mrbob and co! I got a matchmaking error at the end and it kicked me. So I just play hitman for now.

Radec seems op.

botty

Banned
Parappa's level 1 is so bad that his Level 1 Mastery challenge is practically impossible to beat without luck... making it his most difficult combat trial.

For me at least.

Man, what an intense game of Stock haha. My sides were hurting, I was laughing so much at you two in the end there!

Fun fact: that was my first time playing Ratchet. The only reason he's rank 20 is my roommate mains him and usually plays P1 in multiplayer.

But yes, fantastic game. I still think my super should have hit at the end :T

SykoTech

Just now getting around to doing more single player stuff. Multiplayer is so addicting.

Love how they got Stephen Fry to do all of Sackboy's stuff.

PowderedToast

That was fun, mrbob and co! I got a matchmaking error at the end and it kicked me. So I just play hitman for now.

Radec seems op.

yeah radec is awesome. his sniper must be the longest range move in the game, surely? seems to have a tool for every situation, lots of mix ups

i hope someone does a thorough tear-down of each characters pros and cons eventually, that's one of the best parts of enjoying a new fighting game

Ran rp

----

There are some interesting stipulations in trials. One of them is: Gain AP real fast, but lose AP when you get killed. They should be available for local/friendly play to make games more interesting. I think that'd be fun.

It's too bad you can't change things like spawn time, how long supers last, etc. for custom games. I'd love to play a mode where I could custom-tailor little tweaks to make some interesting private games.

Time invite me if you're still playing.

Caffer

Neo Member
This game is surprisingly well done. The Buzz stage is awesome.

If I had to make some changes:

1. You should lose super meter when you die
2. Regular moves connecting should do AP damage more regularly. It looks like it's too easy to build super
3. I'd add in ring outs for like really severe cases of beat down
Raiden seems godtier.
losing super meter when you die is too punishing, it kills the incentive to reach lv 3 super....most people would go for quick lv 1 much more than now! losing part of the meter would be fair though..

rdrr gnr

I can't wait for the sequel. Things it needs to have

- A unified art style. I think the worry was that characters would lose their identity or something, but that's just silly. If they used something like this it would work so much better
8200022364_d5eb8ace00.jpg

- keep the mash ups, but make them dynamic. So you have a static list of stages, but then you have a whole number of invasions that can occur. So if I'm on Hades I can be invaded by a Metal Gear in one match and by dollface another
I agree with the art style -- but I disagree with the mash ups. They just look abysmal and feel arbitrary. Get rid of them (it'll help create a uniform art-style as well). Some of the directorial decisions in this game seem baffling.

Y2Kev

losing super meter when you die is too punishing, it kills the incentive to reach lv 3 super....most people would go for quick lv 1 much more than now! losing part of the meter would be fair though..

too much incentive now to go for the L3s tho, especially the super powerful ones like radec that can get you like 5 kills

Noi

I agree with the art style -- but I disagree with the mash ups. They just look abysmal and feel arbitrary. Get rid of them (it'll help create a uniform art-style as well). Some of the directorial decisions in this game seem baffling.

Mashups would be a lot better if 80% of them weren't "giant enemies/characters from another series snap at the players in the foreground". I really like Sandover because of that, the Golfers just so happens to be practicing their swings when the barrage of balls fall in the way, rather than making a conscious decision to attack the players or Dreamscape's Buzz mashup with the trivia questions.

too much incentive now to go for the L3s tho, especially the super powerful ones like radec that can get you like 5 kills

Radec's level 3 isn't even all that great. I main him and I'd much rather go for constant level 1's/2's instead of building up for a level 3.

B.O.O.M

Ok came across two things that I found to be really annoying

1. Some players lag like a mutha&%*(#...some literally disappear. For w/e reason I have noticed this way way more when playing on the vita

2. So you can make a super stop if you attack them from behind yes? I mean just level 1s and 2s that are applicable. For example, I hit Ratchet when he was doing his lvl 1, from behind. For w/e reason I went right through him and into the super killing me.

Also when using evil coles's lvl2 super, can those who change their color to red, as in who get caught in the range of the attack, just walk away?! Happened twice today. Once got all three in range and all three were glowing in red but only two died. Then one guy just walked away while being caught in it! It was really annoying

Vysetron

Neo Member
So, I was reading some pages that I'd missed earlier and it seems that some people would prefer stock for the tourney. How many people would be in favour of a rule change, and if so, how many lives per person?

Also, should any stages/items be banned? I don't want it to devolve into cheap tactics.

I like stock 2v2s more than anything else as of right now. Freaking amazing. 3 lives would be my recommendation.

So when I decided to take a break from Parappa I started messing around with Sweet Tooth. Didn't have any interest in him when the beta was out, but now I think he's kinda fun. Problem is I can't find any better combos than the ones the game teaches you. Can I get some info/strategies, fellow Gaffers?

Vodh

Well, the L3 does cost more than 4 times the AP L1 costs. And with most L1's it's not that impossible to get double kills, with a little luck and help it actually happens quite a lot. So I'd say the supers are just about where they're supposed to be.

Especially since you can dodge most of the supers at least for some time, so against people who know what's going on around them it's pretty hard to get 5 kills with an L3. Unless we're talking FFA, but well, there's nothing stopping people from throwing the hell out of the guy who's nearly at his L3, and throws with 2+ bars hurt a LOT.

Noi

2. So you can make a super stop if you attack them from behind yes? I mean just level 1s and 2s that are applicable. For example, I hit Ratchet when he was doing his lvl 1, from behind. For w/e reason I went right through him and into the super killing me.

Common thing to keep in mind for super vulnerability:

Level 1's: Can be knocked out of by normal attacks and other supers.

Level 2's: Invulnerable to normal attacks, can be taken out by supers.

Level 3's: Invincible.

rdrr gnr

Mashups would be a lot better if 80% of them weren't "giant enemies/characters from another series snap at the players in the foreground". I really like Sandover because of that, the Golfers just so happens to be practicing their swings when the barrage of balls fall in the way, rather than making a conscious decision to attack the players or Dreamscape's Buzz mashup with the trivia questions.
I think the mash-ups do nothing to strengthen the philosophy behind the game. In fact, it feels like the "sovereignty" (I can't think of a better word at the moment) of each of the individual franchises is somehow violated. I mean Hot Shots Golf? Really? You're going to put that up there with Jak & Daxter? Okay, Superbot. Going across the game series itself makes infinitely more sense. It would be cool to see different Ratchet antagonists across one stage (or something in that manner). But I'd drop that gimmick all together; like it should have been at the brainstorming meeting.

SmithnCo

Hm, I'm pretty sure you can knock him out of that one. Sure you didn't lag teleport a bit and get hit by it that way? That happens sometimes online.

B.O.O.M

Common thing to keep in mind for super vulnerability:

Level 1's: Can be knocked out of by normal attacks and other supers.

Level 2's: Invulnerable to normal attacks, can be taken out by supers.

Level 3's: Invincible.

So yeah, the lvl 1 of Ratchet should be able to stop if i hit him from behind yes?

@Smithnco: Has to be some pretty amazing timing then..but I'm sure I saw myself go right through him. It was evil cole forward + O attack. Sigh I'm starting to notice a lot of lag and glitches in the online now

Noi

I think the mash-ups do nothing to strengthen the philosophy behind the game. In fact, it feels like the "sovereignty" (I can't think of a better word at the moment) of each of the individual franchises is somehow violated. I mean Hot Shots Golf? Really? You're going to put that up there with Jak & Daxter? Okay, Superbot. Going across the game series itself makes infinitely more sense. It would be cool to see different Ratchet antagonists across one stage (or something in that manner). But I'd drop that gimmick all together; like it should have been at the brainstorming meeting.

Oh it's not like I fully disagree, the mashups are kind of a double edged sword. They're a neat idea in order to bring even more franchise representation into the game (which it kinda falls flat on seeing how Patapon, Loco Roco and Resistance are the only IPs with no characters that have a stage or mashup...), but at the same time, I wouldn't mind single series stages just so we can get a music selector going ala Smash Bros. I'd love to have different songs playing in stages randomly instead of the same one every time, which is forced as a result of the mashup.

baekshi

Banned
I need more All Stars gaf friends. I play on both, vita and PS3.

Add me; Sharingan_Itachi
Oh it's not like I fully disagree, the mashups are kind of a double edged sword. They're a neat idea in order to bring even more franchise representation into the game (which it kinda falls flat on seeing how Patapon, Loco Roco and Resistance are the only IPs with no characters that have a stage or mashup...), but at the same time, I wouldn't mind single series stages just so we can get a music selector going ala Smash Bros. I'd love to have different songs playing in stages randomly instead of the same one every time, which is forced as a result of the mashup.
They could have done better. Instead from Resistance, they could had from Ico/ SoTC / Folkore / WipeOut or Demon Souls. I mean Resistance theme is just the like of Killzone, putting other IP such as those would unrelated to other stages already in. Also they already have Ratchet from Insomniac, so they should represent something from other studios also.

Some look bad. In particular Loco Roco and Metal Gear. But then some are quite well done, I like the Killzone and Ape Escape one and the Columbia map is good too

There is an argument to not do the same thing twice though

Top Bottom