• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

Mr. Fix

Oh man, 2v2 ranked.

1fd5pcsfxip.gif

Good lord. I can only imagine FFA.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Lost a match to a Kratos who did nothing but the chain pull on people who were too damn stupid to block it. :/

I was doing so well in that I hadn't come across much Kratos online until now. One of the things that irks me about online is that most people are just gravitating towards the "easy win" characters. I'm choosing characters that I enjoy playing as, not because they have some cheap move that will gain me AP, but because their play style is fun and it causes me to be more strategic. I was doing rather well as Ratchet, but then the game spawned me in as Toro, who I'm just not very good at. The next game it spawned me in as Evil Cole. Thankfully, I'm not bad with Evil Cole, but between the chain pulling Kratos, and the Spike that just wouldn't stop throwing out his bananarang, it wasn't that great of a time.

Not to mention the inconsistent online, with characters not appearing and some characters respawning invincible.

I just went back to battling against the AI in Solo mode. I'm not going to be playing much All Stars online until they sort out the server issues. I'm becoming increasingly concerned that the tournament is going to be troubled due to it.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Lost a match to a Kratos who did nothing but the chain pull on people who were too damn stupid to block it. :/

I was doing so well in that I hadn't come across much Kratos online until now. One of the things that irks me about online is that most people are just gravitating towards the "easy win" characters. I'm choosing characters that I enjoy playing as, not because they have some cheap move that will gain me AP, but because their play style is fun and it causes me to be more strategic. I was doing rather well as Ratchet, but then the game spawned me in as Toro, who I'm just not very good at. The next game it spawned me in as Evil Cole. Thankfully, I'm not bad with Evil Cole, but between the chain pulling Kratos, and the Spike that just wouldn't stop throwing out his bananarang, it wasn't that great of a time.

Not to mention the inconsistent online, with characters not appearing and some characters respawning invincible.

I just went back to battling against the AI in Solo mode. I'm not going to be playing much All Stars online until they sort out the server issues. I'm becoming increasingly concerned that the tournament is going to be troubled due to it.

I felt same thing with online problems.

Mr. Fix

One of the things that irks me about online is that most people are just gravitating towards the "easy win" characters.

That, and the fact that the game allows for spamming to be done so easily. It's not even that risky.

Same goes for countering. If you roll behind to try to get the behind, more of then not, they'll be able to as well, even after having started attacking. Punishing is so rare, so what it comes down to is rolling around like a doofus (because the game doesn't have a dash for some odd reason) until someone hopefully lands a hit. Whiffed attacks should be punishable if I roll behind the enemy in time.

KevinCow

Banned
Am I just stupid or is Radec sniping across the map really fucking hard to counter.

I don't find it too hard to just close in on him by jumping over the laser. Then just stay in his face.

One of the things that irks me about online is that most people are just gravitating towards the "easy win" characters.

Welcome to every multiplayer game ever, unfortunately. Is there a character, weapon, or strategy that generally proves to be more successful than the rest? Then 90% of players will gravitate towards it.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I agree but that is not a popular opinion here :). I also see nothing wrong with lack of ''unified artstyle'' but I probably don't have the eye for these things.

I have an eye for these things, and I think the art style is pretty unified. You really notice it in levels like Paris, Resistance, Invasion, and Hades. The lighting in those areas in particular really have a cohesion to them. I think the art style of the characters works very well together as well. You're always going to have some weirdness when you see a humanoid like Nathan Drake standing next to Sackboy and Toro, but I view it as more of a Roger Rabbit thing, than a Smash Bros (all of our franchises are in a similar style, so they blend together better). The juxtaposition of the realistic characters and settings, and the cartoony character and settings is what make the game charming to me.

Seeing Heihachi arguing with too cartoon cats just amuses me to no end.

I also like the Franzea mash up with Metal Gear. I think it looks cool, but the background in that one tends to fade away while I'm fighting. The stage itself is so dynamic and fun to battle on, that I just don't pay much attention to the Metal Gear Ray in the background.

KevinCow

Banned
That, and the fact that the game allows for spamming to be done so easily. It's not even that risky.

Same goes for countering. If you roll behind to try to get the behind, more of then not, they'll be able to as well, even after having started attacking. Punishing is so rare, so what it comes down to is rolling around like a doofus (because the game doesn't have a dash for some odd reason) until someone hopefully lands a hit. Whiffed attacks should be punishable if I roll behind the enemy in time.

You can grab people if they try to roll through you.

So...uh. Maybe I'm blind, but did they really ship a fighter without the ability to play 1v1 online? What the fuck? All I can search for is FFA or 2v2.

Ploid 3.0

The game isn't balanced for 1v1, trying to be high ranked in 1v1 would drive you mad. It's best as a practice thing, though I do think they should allow people to join your game by allowing a open space to join.

Can Someone add me and try to play a match?,I've been getting connection error since yesterday.
Psn ID: Callibretto

online inconsistent for me one day l can play great, and next day l can't get into match at all,
I hope it's just crowded and can be fixed on Superbot's side, :(

To be fair, 1v1 is boring. It's such a mood killer when one whiffs a super, or does a simple one-two into super.

The game isn't balanced for 1v1, trying to be high ranked in 1v1 would drive you mad. It's best as a practice thing, though I do think they should allow people to join your game by allowing a open space to join.

Considering every single 2v2 game I've played has ended up either being a race to Level 3s that kills the entire team wholesale or a long, slow 2 on 1 that ends up being an even longer 1v1, maybe they should have balanced it 1v1. Half the time I'm getting killed in 2v2 is because I can't see what's firing off where or my attention was focused elsewhere and I got caught by a character I didn't realize was next to me.

I mean, the games fun, but these are serious problems that I was worried about prior to release.

Kurod

Banned
Any good toro combo lists out there?

My b&b with Toro is usually some variation on this:

While in the air Down+Circle-cancel into Down+Triangle(if not in Oni Stance. If already in Oni stance just Down+Triangle)
After hitting opponent and on the ground Up+Circle-cancel into Neutral+Triangle(you can tap the direction button immediately after hitting triangle to change the direction you'll punch if needed)
Down+Triangle
Up+Triangle
Up+Triangle

This combo will get you 130 AP and knock the opponent away thanks to the anti-infinite system

finally got to play 2 match, both are stock 2 VS 2, not liking this mode, I prefer time limit for 2VS2, you're just playing 1 vs 1 in the end if it's get stock mode

sephi22

Last night I had the most wonderful dream.

I'm playing All Stars online and its working. I can hardly believe it. I chose Spike and Heihachi and even won two matches.

Then I woke up. And the endless 'Searching... Connecting... Searching... Connecting...' loop continued.

I'm just done. Just fucking done. The menus are bland, the combat trials are poorly constructed, the SP is barebones, and the sole reason I bought this game (playing online) doesn't work. I wonder how the general mood here would be if more people faced this problem. It seems like everyone here is enjoying playing online with friends and gaffers and I'm the only one with a $60 paperweight.

Meanwhile Superbot is being all amazing and not replying on twitter and the playstation forums.
What makes this game so special? Why do my 70+ PS3 games work fine with my router and this one doesn't?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
My b&b with Toro is usually some variation on this:

While in the air Down+Circle-cancel into Down+Triangle(if not in Oni Stance. If already in Oni stance just Down+Triangle)
After hitting opponent and on the ground Up+Circle-cancel into Neutral+Triangle(you can tap the direction button immediately after hitting triangle to change the direction you'll punch if needed)
Down+Triangle
Up+Triangle
Up+Triangle

This combo will get you 130 AP and knock the opponent away thanks to the anti-infinite system

Awesome I'll have to give this a try tomorrow... any other good ones?

Kurod

Banned
The more I play Heihachi the more I'm liking him. I'm finding some nifty combos and even a nice set-up for his level 1 super.

Also, I feel so stupid that I just now I found out that if he's knocked down he can do the classic Tekken rolling dive recovery attack.

Raonak

Banned
Also, I feel so stupid that I just now I found out that if he's knocked down he can do the classic Tekken rolling dive recovery attack.

That blew my mind when I accidently did it. Thats what i love about the game. the movesets are so nicely designed. so many little touches.

sephi22

Aside from it having some of the iconic playstation characters, nothing. It's a jack of all trades, yet master of none.
Not what I was asking. I own the game. I wasn't asking why someone would want to buy it.
I was asking why does it not work like the others do. It seems you read the first part then forgot to read the second.

Man this game is awesome! I have been playing 2vs2 with my brother a lot and it's great fun. I'm maining Jak and Ratchet atm, but I'm kind of dissapointed that Jak's moves don't build AP very well... Most of ratchet's moves are comparable to those of Jak but Ratchet's build way more AP (e.g. up triangle 5 AP vs 30 AP...). Also Jak's level 1 is pretty terrible :p

Mr. Fix

Not what I was asking. I own the game. I wasn't asking why someone would want to buy it.
I was asking why does it not work like the others do. It seems you read the first part then forgot to read the second.

Sorry for that. I read that in conjunction with the paragraph before it. Oddly enough, I find that only happens to me during FFA.

Tsunamo

Last night I had the most wonderful dream.

I'm playing All Stars online and its working. I can hardly believe it. I chose Spike and Heihachi and even won two matches.

Then I woke up. And the endless 'Searching... Connecting... Searching... Connecting...' loop continued.

I'm just done. Just fucking done. The menus are bland, the combat trials are poorly constructed, the SP is barebones, and the sole reason I bought this game (playing online) doesn't work. I wonder how the general mood here would be if more people faced this problem. It seems like everyone here is enjoying playing online with friends and gaffers and I'm the only one with a $60 paperweight.

Meanwhile Superbot is being all amazing and not replying on twitter and the playstation forums.
What makes this game so special? Why do my 70+ PS3 games work fine with my router and this one doesn't?
I personally am enjoying singleplayer, it is lacking in content, but I've kept my expectations really low in regards to there (especially after Marvel VS Capcom 3 and its lack of singleplayer content) so it didn't bother me too much. I've been having fun with arcade and challenge mode teaching me combos/a characters moveset, problem is the fun wont last for too long (in singleplayer) because I'll be done after a bit.

As for online I do feel your pain. I've been having alot of connection issues, it seems to be 50 50 in that you're either going to get online working great or it's going to be awful with connection issues and dropouts in this, the latter seems to happen for me. (except for 1v1 which seems to always run smooth) It's a real shame because online is the main bulk of the game and where I feel it shines the most, but again it's lacking in a couple of things like 1v1 ranked matches and suffers from connection issues for some people which ruins it completely for those who get them.

With all that said though I'm still enjoying the game alot.
That blew my mind when I accidently did it. Thats what i love about the game. the movesets are so nicely designed. so many little touches.
Yeah, same. When I was in midair and wasn't about to make it back onto the land in Sandover village I accidentally pressed a button and activated the sky flyer, which made me smile as that's one of the things I remember most from the original Ape Escape. Those little things are nice fanservice.

witness

Just to confirm, can you play versus matches against the AI outside of story mode? I just like to play against very difficult AI in games like this to make myself better.

Hey guys. Apologies for the self-promotion -- hopefully the mods are cool with this -- but I was lucky enough to chat with Seth Killian recently about Battle Royale. You can read the full interview through here, but here are some choice quotes you might appreciate.

PS: How did the leaks affect the game’s promotional plans? What was the feeling inside the studio when the news broke?

SK: Well, I think we had multiple leaks actually. The feeling probably started with irritation, and then it elevates from there. The problem with leaks, though, is that for every real leak, you get three or four fake leaks as well, or people suggesting things that aren’t actually the case. So that’s always hard, because that really muddies the waters.

PS: We think we know who you might be talking about.

SK: [Laughs]. Well, yeah, it gets muddy. On one hand, it’s difficult for the game, and ultimately it doesn't contribute to the title’s success. But on the other hand, as a big fan of games, I'm always quite happy when things leak because I'm excited about it and I want to hear more.

PS: Of course, people are excited as well, which is why they’re digging it up.

SK: Yeah, I mean, I completely appreciate the passion that goes into finding out some of these things. And, frankly, it’s our bad for letting them out of the door.

And about the DLC:

PS: What can you tell us about the DLC? Obviously, you’ve just announced that Kat and Emmett Graves are going to be added to the game. Is there anything more that you can say at the moment?

SK: Honestly, they’re both quite early. The game just went gold, so the team was able to stop and focus on DLC for the first time. We hope that the development process is accelerated now that our full attention’s on it. Personally, I've been really happy with the way that Emmett’s trending on paper at least. He’s got a lot of what they call the ‘Build and Battle’ system. Starhawk had a lot of great technology where you’re always dropping crazy things from the sky, and we've tried to really implement that to represent the character. You can assume that some gun attacks will end up in his design as well, but we really wanted to accentuate this construction mechanic.

As for Kat, well, she’s kind of broken right now. Again, these characters are very early. They’re just sort of mock-ups that still look like other characters. They've got bits of other protagonists still stuck on them that we have to rework in order to get them properly finished. But Kat moves around the screen right now like nobody else. I'm sure, even if it doesn't stay in the way that it is right now, that she’ll have a lot of crazy movement options and definitely the ability to play with gravity. Obviously, she’s immune from it, and she’ll have the opportunity to exploit that in battle. She’s got a lot of great combos already actually.

There's lots more in the full article. Hope you enjoy it! (And again, sorry for the shameless self promotion.)

Hey guys. Apologies for the self-promotion -- hopefully the mods are cool with this -- but I was lucky enough to chat with Seth Killian recently about Battle Royale.

It was posted a few pages ago, but cheers anyway! Gives people a chance to see it again if they hadn't. Any new Kat and Emmet news is exciting.

JoshHood

It was posted a few pages ago, but cheers anyway! Gives people a chance to see it again if they hadn't. Any new Kat and Emmet news is exciting.

I'd totally missed that so cheers! Really excited to see how they turn out. Hopefully later on down the line when the process is streamlined a bit, we'll see a behind-the-scenes video that shows how they go about creating characters and getting them into the game; I at least would be really interested in seeing that.

Kyon

Banned
I can't with the amount of Raidens online.

WTF@ that Kratos chain grab it is SPAMMED beyond anything ever. A damn mess.

Anyone else disappointed by the slow ass AP gain with Dante? I only use him so.. Lol

Got my copy yesterday and played it extensively. Some thoughts...

* Man was I rusty to start with. Ranked matches were a depressing experience and I thought I was experienced enough with Parappa from my time in two betas to dive in and perform halfway decently... but nope. Was getting my ass handed to me constantly by all the Raidens, Dantes and Kratos' that abound. Not a good introduction to the full product, but that's more my fault than anything. Still too many Raidens though.

* The netcode has been nigh-on flawless, with the exception of about three occasions where I selected a character and ended up with another. You'd have thought by now SuperBot would've ironed out that bug, but the online matches remain buttery smooth so it's all good.

* In a sense, the visuals are flawless. It's not a particularly ambitious or showy game graphically, but you combine how vivid and sharp everything looks, with nary a jaggy in sight, and it really comes together nicely.

* The stages are so great. My favourite thus far are Stowaways, Paris, Columbia and Franzea. The latter two I wish didn't have any mash-up with another franchise at all. No Dollface or Metal Gear RAY; they're too disruptive and really spoil what are otherwise beautifully constructed stages. I know that's the point, but it's still a bad thing. Stowaways is the best of them.

* Tried to get a grip on Toro for a good bit, and I can't tell if he's one of the more advanced characters or just plain garbage; I want it to be the former. His square attacks are awful and you can't string any combos together using them, but the triangle attacks in his Ninja and Mochi form pack a punch. Due to his obscurity, SuperBot should have made him a far easier character to use, as a means of encouraging more players to experiment with someone they wouldn't have otherwise. As it is, he'll be largely ignored everywhere but Japan.

* Arcade mode is a cinch - it's WAY too easy. I thought going for The Legend would've been one of the more difficult trophies in the game, but it only requires you to complete Arcade on what is essentially normal difficulty. I've gone through it with Parappa, Toro and Kratos and haven't lost a single match to the CPU yet.

* The final boss battle sucks. Rivarly scenes are the real reward for playing Arcade mode.

* Every review mentions it, but it bears repeating - the user interface sucks. It's so workmanlike. SuperBot can only make amends by designing some of the flashiest menus the world has ever seen for the inevitable sequel. Inevitable assuming the game sells.

A really fun game overall. It definitely delivers and it has to be one of the most addictive online experiences that I've encountered. Bring on Kat early next year.

Drencrom

I can't with the amount of Raidens online.

WTF@ that Kratos chain grab it is SPAMMED beyond anything ever. A damn mess.

Anyone else disappointed by the slow ass AP gain with Dante? I only use him so.. Lol

If the chain grab is like in the beta they need to nerf it (angle range, priority, whatever). Part of the problem why it's spammed is because it's the forward square attack (players run towards an opponent and press square).

Kyon

Banned
If the chain grab is like in the beta they need to nerf it (angle range, priority, whatever). Part of the problem why it's spammed is because it's the forward square attack (players run towards an opponent and press square).

True true and yeah that thing homes in if you're in the air or below Kratos it's just annoying tbh

Imagine out of the blue we get this man as DLC

hardcore fans will be over the moon (including me). I can't believe I actually never thought of him when Godhand was one of the best games I have ever played

Fat chance, when he didn't even get into Ultimate MvC3. :l

Now that the game is out, can people confirm I can play co-op online with another friend against 2 AIs/Bots? We're not interested in playing against two other human players but would consider this if we can just team up together to fight against the AI. Any chance we can play through the story mode or our own custom games online together?

Raonak

Banned
Now that the game is out, can people confirm I can play co-op online with another friend against 2 AIs/Bots? We're not interested in playing against two other human players but would consider this if we can just team up together to fight against the AI. Any chance we can play through the story mode or our own custom games online together?

It has 2v2. so thats what you're probably looking for. can have both online or bots.

Protome

I don't think you can play through Arcade together, but you can go into Versus mode and set up an mix of Local, Online and AI players for a match.

hertog

Just bought the game for ps3, but I like this game better on my Vita.
If there was any other way to finish opponents than a super, this would be so awesome.
Now it just looks really unbalanced with lvl 1 supers like ratchet & raiden.

I was playing as Sir Dan online and the stage was Sandover Village. I landed his level 1 on all three opponents(I know, right?) and confetti blasted out all over the screen, with rainbow text saying "Nice Shot!" like in Hot Shots Golf after I killed all three.

It's the little things that get me.

I think i saw that in one of the streams or on youtube, it's a really nice touch! :)

Oh it's not like I fully disagree, the mashups are kind of a double edged sword. They're a neat idea in order to bring even more franchise representation into the game (which it kinda falls flat on seeing how Patapon, Loco Roco and Resistance are the only IPs with no characters that have a stage or mashup...), but at the same time, I wouldn't mind single series stages just so we can get a music selector going ala Smash Bros. I'd love to have different songs playing in stages randomly instead of the same one every time, which is forced as a result of the mashup.

You forgot Buzz, Hot Shots Golf and Warhawk (though the last one might not count since we're getting Emmet Graves), but i agree, i wish there were more stages/mashups with franchises that don't have a character rep.

Top Bottom